IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Switzerland to the Backwoods of Arkansas

Coconut Flan

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, backyard sylph said:

Yes, starting as a teen with my mom in the mid 80s or thereabouts. I've repressed a lot of it, but plan to write memoirs someday, and include how we went in ten years from nuns with guitars to people praying for my mother's resurrection at her funeral. Might turn me into a heavier drinker, though. (j/k) (mostly)

Yikes!  Please start writing!

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Keeping kosher requires knowledge, work and dicipline, none  of which are in the Duggars lifestyle.

Yeah - and opening that up from diet to the rest of life - some of these eejits are FLYING. I mean... okay, so there's what, five different theories on how planes stay airborne that great brains can't agree on, but seriously - precision maths, sequenced, nuanced thought, critical decision making... ...would have put that stuff also under the heading of 'likely not their wheelhouse'. ...surely that's gotta cause some interesting exchanges at least...

8 hours ago, ButternutSquash said:

Canadian here. We definitely don't call anything  'Canadian bacon'. The round stuff is just called ham.

I have never understood what Canadian bacon is supposed to be. We have normal bacon and we have ham. I wonder how that got started lol. 

37 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

I'm sensing a 'great bacon swap of 17' coming on. Everyone buys enough of their local thing to get everyone else a taste. ...though we'd probably run the pork industry out of business...

Well my butcher sells 2lb of bacon for £10 so it's viable :pb_lol:

You people are to blame for me going to the local UK import store for food. I couldn't take it anymore! :my_smile:

5 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Well my butcher sells 2lb of bacon for £10 so it's viable :pb_lol:

Crikey that's good! Where are you to?

1 minute ago, WiseGirl said:

You people are to blame for me going to the local UK import store for food. I couldn't take it anymore! :my_smile:

What did you get? Marmite?

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Not combining milk and meat is also biblical based off seethe not the calf in its mothers milk.   

In addition, there are rules that determine timing between milk and meat, so you could not have roast beef and follow it a half hour later with ice cream.  

And I like to take that literally and declare that chickens don't give milk, so I can combine cheese and chicken. Don't tell my rabbi. :pb_lol:

The fellow Jews I know keep varying degrees of kosher, from not keeping kosher at all, to following some rules (like limiting to just avoidance of shellfish and pig) to strict adherence to the rules (separate dishes and utensils for dairy and meat, separate ovens if possible (if not, performing a special ritual), etc.). Keeping to the biblical laws also SEVERELY limits the places where you can go out and eat. It's a way of life, and requires commitment and sacrifice. And as others have said, that's not something the Duggars do.

The Duggars are just appropriative and all over the place. Their appropriation of my culture pisses me off.

10 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

And I like to take that literally and declare that chickens don't give milk, so I can combine cheese and chicken. Don't tell my rabbi. :pb_lol:

The fellow Jews I know keep varying degrees of kosher, from not keeping kosher at all, to following some rules (like limiting to just avoidance of shellfish and pig) to strict adherence to the rules (separate dishes and utensils for dairy and meat, separate ovens if possible (if not, performing a special ritual), etc.). Keeping to the biblical laws also SEVERELY limits the places where you can go out and eat. It's a way of life, and requires commitment and sacrifice. And as others have said, that's not something the Duggars do.

The Duggars are just appropriative and all over the place. Their appropriation of my culture pisses me off.

Didn't Nathan's or someone do a jokey TV commercial with Rabbis in it about their hot dogs being kosher? The cheeky implication was, "it couldn't hurt!" I still found it funny that people would sometimes insist they were much more healthful (I mean, non-Jewish people.) They're still hot dogs.

I lived in an Orthodox Jewish community for a year, though, and did find myself buying things at the local Shop-Rite I might not have otherwise, because they were there and interesting and etc. As you do with import aisles and things. Taking "ownership" of it would have seemed super wrong to me, though.

I only keep kosher on passover. Sometimes non-Jewish friends will tease me for it but whatevs. I only cared when someone tried to tell me I wasn't as Jewish as our friend who did keep kosher :my_angry:

This whole conversation it making me really want a Taylor ham egg and cheese on a bagel. Man I miss New Jersey sometimes.

14 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I'm more reform. I agree with you on the literal translation. I will eat chicken and cheese together. My cousin always tries to make me feel bad about it. They're really strict. Only kosher meat in the house. I enjoy food too much to restrict myself tbh. However, I'm going on like 6 years of no pork. BTW finding beef ribs is next to impossible! Last weekend I looked in 3 stores.

I do keep the holidays tho. Passover, Yom Kippur, I keep all the rules for those. 

26 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Crikey that's good! Where are you to?

Yeah it works out around 37-42 slices each time. We separate it into batches of 6 and freeze them and defrost as we need. 

I'm in Londonderry 

19 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

This whole conversation it making me really want a Taylor ham egg and cheese on a bagel. Man I miss New Jersey sometimes.

Where in North Jersey are you from? I'm a taylor ham Jew too, but those southern Jerseyans call it pork roll (yes I know it's the same thing, but sounds so much worse to me!)

19 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I do keep the holidays tho. Passover, Yom Kippur, I keep all the rules for those. 

My friends make fun of me, because I'll have bacon and eggs sans toast during Passover, or break my YK fast with a cheeseburger (maybe even a bacon cheeseburger!) but still fast none the less. 

8 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Where in North Jersey are you from? I'm a taylor ham Jew too, but those southern Jerseyans call it pork roll (yes I know it's the same thing, but sounds so much worse to me!)

I know right? South Jersey is such a strange place :P .  I'm from Union county.

4 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Not eating Pork is another Gothard thing.  Like baking whole wheat bread after grinding your own wheat--though the Duggars seem to have always bought their bread. And, apparently they don't see hamburger or hotdog buns  or Garlic Toast for Spaghetti as needing to adhere to the whole wheat rule.

They have been shown baking their own bread and making references to it many times on their show, but I am sure they eat other breads, as well.

On 2017-06-28 at 5:07 PM, SassyPants said:

This is the icing on JB's and M's caustic parenting cake...the fact that they have convinced their children [and actually shown them] that no adult in a family needs to hold a paying job that matches their skill sets and knowledge bases.

Well to be fair their skill sets and knowledge bases aren't that great ...

On 2017-06-28 at 9:35 PM, Four is Enough said:

On that same trip to great Britain, Anna was worried about "toad in a hole" fearing that there would indeed be a toad for her breakfast. Is anyone really that stupid, and why wouldn't you ask about "toad in a hole" before you ordered it??

People eat lots of weird things. And Anna has very limited knowledge of other cultures. I can see why she was worried. 

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

I know right? South Jersey is such a strange place :P .  I'm from Union county.

I have never heard Taylor's pork roll called Taylor's ham! Fried with cheese, mmm! 

10 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

I have never heard Taylor's pork roll called Taylor's ham! Fried with cheese, mmm! 

I never heard it called pork roll until I met people from south Jersey :lol:

11 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

@SapphireSlytherin or anyone else who might know; Keep in mind I'm in middle The middle of the country and people just mainly like their fried chicken here, it's hard to find a lot of adventurous food butbits getting better... where can you get a full English breakfast? The picture looked delicious!

I'm in the middle of the USA too. We've never found a Full English here. My hubby cooks one, once in while, though - wanna come over? lol

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Aha! I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who mixes chicken & cheese! - turkey too.  

I converted to Judaism a million years ago (ok, maybe 16) and the hardest thing to give up was pepperoni pizza. 

On a side note, I knew I was in a serious relationship when my now husband & I were dating and he found out I was kosher-ish, he stopped cooking bacon in the house. Now he only eats it when we go out for breakfast  

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I have never understood what Canadian bacon is supposed to be. We have normal bacon and we have ham. I wonder how that got started lol. 

It's just called back bacon in Canada. And it's a distinct style, totally different from the style found in the UK. It's cured similarly to ham, but it's cut from the loin so it's very lean, and it's sold fully cooked and cut into rounds. Harvest Meats, Drake Meats and I'm sure a few other Canadian companies sell it. It's very common in grocery stores here on the prairies, and definitely a Canadian thing.

This thread is bad for the diet and you will be to blame when I buy a full Scottish breakfast before work. Joke love it really

I've lived near Glasgow my whole life and I've never saw a chip shop that does deep fried chocolate bars at least not advertised. I'm not saying it's a myth but it's not something that most Glaswegians eat. Though we do deep fry anything.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm in the middle of the USA too. We've never found a Full English here. My hubby cooks one, once in while, though - wanna come over? lol

Haha I wish I could!!! ... this pregnancy has me more adventurous than ever eating for some reason. I've never been picky but I constantly want to taste different things now if that makes sense.

41 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I've lived near Glasgow my whole life

We're flying into Glasgow in September and driving to Fort William to ride the Jacobite Steam Train. Can't wait!!

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

HA! I'm in the middle to, I'll join you.   

All this talk of pork and BBQ has me drooling. Hubby and I are leaving for Nashville on Saturday, and I'm looking forward so good southern BBQ. I'm positively giddy for this trip, I've never been to TN, and this only the 2nd vacation we've had just the 2 of us since we've had kids 20 years ago.  But now I want a full English breakfast and for dinner some BBQ ribs.  

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We're flying into Glasgow in September and driving to Fort William to ride the Jacobite Steam Train. Can't wait!!

This sounds like and Outlander dream trip. 

Hey if we're talking pork let's not forget the very yummy prosciutto!!

Also, the crab salad served at Josh's wedding was probably made with imitation crab or "krab" in our local sushi places. Its actually whitefish, flavored and dyed pink. I like it in some things but not others.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived