IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Pikes Peak or Bust?

Coconut Flan

While the Duggars might have put in candle with flames, I think the church's wedding coordinator would probably have said oh no this isn't going to work. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, VaSportsMom said:

The more pictures I see the more I love her dress and her decor, Joy's wedding may be my favoriate. I  still love Jinger's dress the best by far, but Joy's is very pretty as well, but I think I like Joy's style better, personally everything is a little more laid back, and I like that, and I didn't like the church Jinger got married in, but I'm waiting for the wedding special to air before I say for sure, because I know you all are waiting with baited breath for my opinion on this.  :pb_lol::pb_lol:

I have always felt Joy was the most natural beauty of the older girl set. She also is the bustiest taking after Michelle in that dept as well as one of the most petite in height which makes her look even chestier. I feel the dress suited her as I feel she makes an effort to disguise her chest quite a bit. The dress was a personal effort to her and she seems to be pretty frugal. I was only a year older rhan her when I got married and my husband appears in most pics pretty stiff as he hates being told to smile for the camera! It looks like she choose the colour for the BM dresses and it was up to them to get the style that they could find. I also think Anna is a lot closer to delivering than we thought and her and Jill might deliver pretty close together. I thibk from the way Jinger is hiding she is trying ro avoid showing off a bump and her face has def put on some weight since the wedding!

19 hours ago, freedomfromfrumpers said:
Saw some speculation that given the photos around Colorado Springs the newlyweds might be staying at the Broadmoor (which is owned now by Conservative Christian Philip Anschutz)

I wonder how much security they would have, or if they are largely alone except the inevitable film crew for a day or two... (with Focus on the Family being headquartered in Springs? There's a huge amount of fundies around.  I was at the Broadmoor several times this week and last for meetings - and usually when there are "famous" (and pseudo famous) people? It's fairly obvious - despite the discretion... the staff just seems more on edge.

I was secretly hoping if they are here that they stayed at the "Tiny House Hotel" in Manitou.

15 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My dad grew up in the 1950s south beig taught about "the War of Northern Agression" with no mention of slavery. So yeah, to me that term goes hand in hand with Jim Crow era ideologies.

I'm Aussie, but my mum was an exchange student in Florida in 1968. She's still got a textbook that she brought home that taught about the "war of northern aggression" - notably, she was being taught this course by an African American history teacher on the day MLK was assassinated. 

ETA - I'm not condoning this approach at all, just confirming my family's experience that it was being taught in one area of Florida in that time.

That People article lists that picture of Joy and her sisters as "the wedding party" and not just the bride and her sisters/sisters-in-law. Could be a mistake but maybe Carlin really wasn't a bridesmaid and Joy opted for family only? Although, wasn't Sierra also seen in a similar navy dress?

I suppose TPTB chose to wait until the series premiere this time before allowing guests to post photos of the wedding, since nobody outside of family has said anything on social media about it or even congratulated Joy. Maybe they finally figured out that releasing every single detail of the wedding in pictures before finally showing it on TV wasn't the best strategy.

7 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

I like the dress, actually. Very feminine and a bit whimsical. I'm glad Joy is getting her outdoor experience as she wanted it. 

Someone brought this up, but what did the Duggars actually learn? Because as I understand it, in the US you don't exactly have a national curriculum, so schools/states/cities mostly pick for themselves, and kids don't have to go to school at all if they don't want to. The Duggars never went to an actual school to my knowledge. I mean - they are presumably literate, but do they know high school math such as calculus and linear algebra? 

Mr MIO met a formerly fundie guy at uni who'd been taught that history is the devil's doorway to young minds and that science is totally God's concern, not man's to play with.

We work a fair deal in Northern Ireland, in very creationist areas. Some of the stuff the kids very innocently come out with... and there's no talking with them on it. If they even detect a twitch of an eyebrow they'll explain that they're being taught the answers to give to get through their KS & GCSEs, but not to worry because they're learning the real stuff at home / church.

Some days I have a little weep in the car on the way home for those children.

5 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

That People article lists that picture of Joy and her sisters as "the wedding party" and not just the bride and her sisters/sisters-in-law. Could be a mistake but maybe Carlin really wasn't a bridesmaid and Joy opted for family only? Although, wasn't Sierra also seen in a similar navy dress?

I was wondering the same. I really want to know if Carlin or Sierra were included in their bridal party. If they were, why didn't People mention that? It's not information that needs to be kept secret. I do think Joy only limited the bridal party to family and someone marrying into their family, Kendra.

Just now, season of life said:

I was wondering the same. I really want to know if Carlin or Sierra were included in their bridal party. If they were, why didn't People mention that? It's not information that needs to be kept secret. I do think Joy only limited the bridal party to family and someone marrying into their family, Kendra.

I don't think so, just because we spotted Sierra in the bridesmaid dress. The articles that have come out haven't explicitly stated who was a bridesmaid , just sorta mentioned that her sisters were bridesmaids. To me it has been left somewhat ambiguous. Some have speculated that Carlin hasn't been seen because of contract issues. I guess that is possible, but it is also possible she wasn't a bridesmaid. I would be surprised if she wasn't but whatever, i'm not losing any sleep over it.

19 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I don't think so, just because we spotted Sierra in the bridesmaid dress. The articles that have come out haven't explicitly stated who was a bridesmaid , just sorta mentioned that her sisters were bridesmaids. To me it has been left somewhat ambiguous. Some have speculated that Carlin hasn't been seen because of contract issues. I guess that is possible, but it is also possible she wasn't a bridesmaid. I would be surprised if she wasn't but whatever, i'm not losing any sleep over it.

I was wondering about this. It didn't seem to be that big of a deal to have Jana in Michaela Bates's wedding, but maybe UPTV is just much less competitive than TLC? I can see TLC refusing to acknowledge Carlin on the grounds that it would be promoting a competing show. 

@Front Hugging Fiend

I'm not sure how big of a deal it would be either. There is some talk about it in the Bates thread. It was mentioned that Jana was hardly shown in Michaela Bate's wedding, more just in the background but I didn't watch it so I have no idea. I do think it would be a bit odd for Joy to have Sierra in the wedding but not Carlin, even if Sierra had aa small roll and was not a bridesmaid since she has known Carlin for longer and they seem to be pretty close friends. 

On the other hand, there are a lot of reasons Carlin may not have been a bridesmaid that range from not being asked to not being able to commit to being at the wedding for whatever reason. I wasn't in my sister's wedding (even though she was in mine 6 months prior) because I wasn't able to get leave until the last minute and didn't know I was going to be able to go.

11 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

Someone brought this up, but what did the Duggars actually learn? Because as I understand it, in the US you don't exactly have a national curriculum, so schools/states/cities mostly pick for themselves, and kids don't have to go to school at all if they don't want to. The Duggars never went to an actual school to my knowledge. I mean - they are presumably literate, but do they know high school math such as calculus and linear algebra? They probably learned some junk biology, but did they ever learn astronomy, physics, or chemistry? They don't seem to speak a single foreign language or know very much about history, economics et cetera judging by the interviews and behaviour, as illustrated above. 

Judging by the fact that Jill still hadn't gotten the hang of fractions at age 23 and James was still learning multiplication tables at age 11, I'm going to hazard a guess that they don't learn very much. Jill kind of knows Spanish, but neither she nor Derick seem to be very dedicated to really learning it beyond getting Israel to call Derick Papi. Gothardism does not exactly encourage intellectual curiosity.

Besides Sierra wasn't there also a picture of Lydia Query (I think that's her name) in what looked to be a bridesmaid dress?  I'm not counting Carlin out yet.

ETA if she included Kendra it would make sense that she would include Austin's only sister, but who knows.

I think because People/TLC/whatever only have deals with the Duggars and their brand, Carlin is a definite no-go for appearing in publications even if she was a bridesmaid. People also has no interest in Sierra or any other non-Duggar bridesmaid, even if TLC may occasionally feature "friends" on the show to make it seem more authentic. I think Joy had 10-12 bridesmaids.

Maybe they weren't in the wedding and just happened to be wearing blue dresses? Okay, so being the same general style as the bridesmaids dresses is a bit of a coincidence. I wear black to evening weddings in the fall and winter and navy in the spring and summer. Those dresses look very much like something I would have worn if invited to the wedding.

12 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think those are flame-less LED candles. Or at least I hope they are because yeah, fire and hay, BAD BAD BAD idea. 

Wasn't there a scene in Little House on the Prarie where Laura nearly burns down the family barn by knocking a candle unto the hay? 

45 minutes ago, ItsMeY'all said:

Maybe they weren't in the wedding and just happened to be wearing blue dresses? Okay, so being the same general style as the bridesmaids dresses is a bit of a coincidence. I wear black to evening weddings in the fall and winter and navy in the spring and summer. Those dresses look very much like something I would have worn if invited to the wedding.

Here's the picture I was thinking of.  The woman next to JInger.  That's Heidi Qeury, not Lydia as I stated above. Not just similar dress but necklace too. Sierra also had on a similar necklace.  I think it's more than just coincidence.

http://duggars.tumblr.com/image/161281824600

19 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Wasn't there a scene in Little House on the Prarie where Laura nearly burns down the family barn by knocking a candle unto the hay? 

Haha that did happen, but I think it was Mary who caused it. Man, that show was weird. It deviated from the books so much. I wonder if the Duggars would be allowed to watch it. 

One thing about Austin and Joy is they would have plausibly married and at this same time even if there was never a TV show.  (For better or worse,  that remains to be seen.)

I don't think that is true at all of any her sisters' marriages. (Like the show paid for Jill to go to Nepal to meet Derick.)

As far as Jana being in Michaela's wedding and appearing briefly on Bringing Up Bates.

19K&C was cancelled in July 2015 

Michaela's wedding was in August 2015

Counting On premiered December 2015

BUB showed the wedding February 2016

There is a possibility that Jana was not under any kind of contract at the time of the wedding. TLC may have seen Jana on UP as good PR for their show. 

Am I the only one who thinks that setting out cupcakes on a large cross is a bit weird? Like: "Hey, let's grab another cupcake from the cross." :pb_confused::pb_lol:

5 minutes ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Am I the only one who thinks that setting out cupcakes on a large cross is a bit weird? Like: "Hey, let's grab another cupcake from the cross." :pb_confused::pb_lol:

Yes, although I am stealing that idea for my boys 1st communion party, albeit on a smaller scale

37 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Haha that did happen, but I think it was Mary who caused it. Man, that show was weird. It deviated from the books so much. I wonder if the Duggars would be allowed to watch it. 

It was Mary, it was either when she 1st got glasses or was the beginning of the going blind story, which actually did happen in real life (the blind part not so much her burning down the barn) . 

And I don't think the Duggar's could watch. they were all about be inclusive of people now matter what they were like.  Black people, Native Americans, Jews (Nellie's husband) . Sure no gay folks as this was the 70's and gays were still forcibly in the closet  but they were pretty progressive for the era. 

15 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

I like the dress, actually. Very feminine and a bit whimsical. I'm glad Joy is getting her outdoor experience as she wanted it. 

Someone brought this up, but what did the Duggars actually learn? Because as I understand it, in the US you don't exactly have a national curriculum, so schools/states/cities mostly pick for themselves, and kids don't have to go to school at all if they don't want to. The Duggars never went to an actual school to my knowledge. I mean - they are presumably literate, but do they know high school math such as calculus and linear algebra? They probably learned some junk biology, but did they ever learn astronomy, physics, or chemistry? They don't seem to speak a single foreign language or know very much about history, economics et cetera judging by the interviews and behaviour, as illustrated above. 

Basically, if I lived next to them I'd be scared of sharing a fence with someone who will think a meteor falling from the sky is a sign for the second coming of Christ :D 

My guesses for what the Duggars learned:

Math - Not much. Basic arithmetic for all, maybe basic algebra if interested/good at math. Definitely no calculus or trigonometry.

Science - Really basic biology. Maybe really basic chemistry, like baking soda + vinegar "experiments." Maybe elementary level physical science and astronomy. Definitely not high school level chemistry or physics. All science limited/hampered by young Earth creationist beliefs.

Foreign language - We know they all studied Spanish in some capacity, some more than others. None seem to be proficient, but sadly that is the norm in the US. They might even do it better than a lot of public school districts, since they appear to start when kids are elementary school age, while many school systems don't start offering foreign languages until 6th or 9th grade.

History/social studies - Probably one of the more comprehensive subjects given JB's political involvement and their cult's mission to control politics in the US. Still stilted/biased. I expect they focus a lot on religious history and US history up to WWII. World history limited to religious events in Europe. Little to know history from the rest of the world.

English/literature - They learn to read, but have atrocious grammar. I'm sensitive to regional dialects and forgiving of informal language in informal settings, but their writings for more formal/public audiences are really bad as well. They read very limited Christian non-fiction.

Writing this out makes me feel really sad. I'm 34 and just finished my PhD. I attended really good public schools, especially high school. I took AP science and history classes, went to science camps, and even had a summer job working in a zoology research lab at the local university. By the time I was Joy's age, I was 2 years into college, and had finished all of the prereqs for med school admission (changed my mind on that one!). By the time I was Jana's age, I had a bachelor's and a master's, and had published my first academic journal article. There are so many wonderful things about our world that the women will never get to know.

5 hours ago, mpheels said:

My guesses for what the Duggars learned:

Math - Very basic, addition subtraction times table and basic division, thats it. No way in hell MEchelle has the wherewithal to teach anything more difficult than that.  

Science, - God created everything, that is all you need to know. 

Foreign language - No. They may have played that for cameras but no. 

History/social studies - White washed christian revisionist history, like slavery was just white folks giving the  poor lost African souls a better life. 

English, reading at maybe a 6th grade level, maybe 8th grade, enough to understand KJV bible , but nothing more, they don't read that leads to thinking.  Their grammar aside they have basic word knowledge, much like Trump they have all the words they need.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived