IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Pikes Peak or Bust?

Coconut Flan

@VelociRapture Me too! I picked the dress color & length. I got them earrings as one of my attendant gifts, but everything else I let them choose. All 7 bridesmaids chose a different style dress which I thought was actually kind of cool looking, and they were able to choose which style they were most comfortable wearing. 

On the other hand, I chose a lace ball gown style dress for myself, which I still love. However, I got married in July on a 90 degree day. I was probably the least comfortable in my wedding attire out of the whole party.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JoyJoy said:

One photo has 12 bridesmaids the other has 13??? Is that a Paine brother in between Heidi and Kendra?

I was thinking he looked like one of Chad's brothers as well.

It looks to me like Joy is either barefoot or in flats, at least in the bridesmaid photo - she and Jill's height difference looks right - while Jana is in some talllllll shoes and she's usually the shortest (by maybe an inch or so probably?).

I wish Jana hadn't taken up Jinger's bottle of self-tanner, now she's the sister looking ridiculously orange.....lol

index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=68ED867A

Re: Joy and shoes. I'm willing to bet, at least in this picture, that there are either flats or no shoes at all. My pictures from after the ceremony with the bridal party all look like this. The dress looks like it's just a few inches too long...because it was. I'd taken my heels off and swapped to flats. It was altered to the heels, so it was slightly long for the flats. I hope that's what she did, as opposed to not having the dress altered correctly. Mine is in the spoiler below.

Capture.PNG.f84bdd9ac845db3bf91376a3dd82e8a3.PNG

52 minutes ago, emscm said:

@VelociRapture Me too! I picked the dress color & length. I got them earrings as one of my attendant gifts, but everything else I let them choose. All 7 bridesmaids chose a different style dress which I thought was actually kind of cool looking, and they were able to choose which style they were most comfortable wearing. 

On the other hand, I chose a lace ball gown style dress for myself, which I still love. However, I got married in July on a 90 degree day. I was probably the least comfortable in my wedding attire out of the whole party.

My sister did the same as you! She picked the color and fabric of the dresses and let us choose the style (we each chose a different style). Her only other requests were that everyone picked the same length (we picked knee length) and that we wore gray shoes (we could wear whatever style and didn't need to match.) She gave us earrings and cardigans in their second wedding color and we wore both during the ceremony (we took the cardigans off for the reception.)

My wedding dress was chiffon, had straps, a bit of ruching up top, and beading in a leaf design around the waist. Our wedding was outside in early November - we lucked out because it was unseasonably warm (in the 60s) that day, so I didn't freeze to death. :pb_lol:

37 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I was thinking he looked like one of Chad's brothers as well.

Yes. That looks like Nate Paine. A few other familiar faces among the groomsmen though I don't know their names.

4 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

You almost can't see the bride in between all that people... 

Exactly! they're overwhelming the bride. A half of them would be we much better...

When my BFF got married in her forties, I was MOH, and her niece was bridesmaid. 25 years difference in age, and she was struggling with anorexia. I am ...not. She told us both to look in chainstores, and talk to each other. We found an outfit in Marks and Spencer, dark blue ridged silk, with long top, long skirt, and unfitted jacket. I wore the jacket, she didn't, we and the bride all wore (different) pearl necklaces and earrings - and though I says it as shouldn't - we all looked great!

One thing I find fascinating. In my circles in the UK, we didn't have groomsmen - there was a best man, and that's it. Other close male friends of the groom were ushers. Was this just my circles, or do other UK posters have the same experience?

ETA And I wore a great hat! (The bridesmaid had a floral headdress - ridiculous on a plus 40 year old like I was at the time.) Hats for weddings in the UK are really the only opportunity to wear them - unless you go to Ladies' Day at Ascot!

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Yes. That looks like Nate Paine. A few other familiar faces among the groomsmen though I don't know their names.

Nate Paine, JD Duggar and Bobby Ballinger Jr. Don't know the others but I'm interested in that older groomsman especially.

I don't even think there are 12 women I like enough to be in my fictional wedding. Seriously... I can think of like 2. Maybe 4. But that would be pushing it. Plus, one of them would be the photographer (she does weddings on the side), one would be like "nahhhh, I'm good just attending...." yeah, so 2 people. #Antisocial #SuperSelective #BeingMyFriendIsLikeGainingAdmittanceToAnIvyLeagueSchool

3 minutes ago, divadivine said:

I don't even think there are 12 women I like enough to be in my fictional wedding. Seriously... I can think of like 2. Maybe 4. But that would be pushing it. Plus, one of them would be the photographer (she does weddings on the side), one would be like "nahhhh, I'm good just attending...." yeah, so 2 people. #Antisocial #SuperSelective #BeingMyFriendIsLikeGainingAdmittanceToAnIvyLeagueSchool

YES! I can't even count 12 people,male or female,  I talk to much less like enough for them to be in my make believe perpetually single wedding. I'm also an only child and my closest cousin is a male 13 years older. And there's no way I like his wife enough to include her in anything. 

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I like Carlins shoes the most. I like the color and that they were simple.

The best choice for the dress. And most apropriate for a wedding in my world. The other were sandals or flipflops kind of thing just for a regular daily outfit. Perfect for a mustard cardigan ;)

But hey, navy is my favourite colour so I like Joy's choice for her bridal party the best so far (Jinger's bridsmaids dresses were also great btw)

12 minutes ago, fish_ca said:

Nate Paine, JD Duggar and Bobby Ballinger Jr. Don't know the others but I'm interested in that older groomsman especially.

I think the guy in the back row behind/to the right of Kendra is Logan Smith. He's also friends with the Bateses and has  been discussed a little.  I also see Peter Query and Andrew Patton.  Ummm, no Joe?

1 minute ago, fish_ca said:

The best choice for the dress. And most apropriate for a wedding in my world. The other were sandals or flipflops kind of thing just for a regular daily outfit. Perfect for a mustard cardigan ;)

Agreed! They were the most appropriate. In my world, weddings are a fancy event. Carlin's are wedding attire. The rest are too casual. 

1 minute ago, justmy2cents said:

I think the guy in the back row behind/to the right of Kendra is Logan Smith. He's also friends with the Bateses and has  been discussed a little.  I also see Peter Query and Andrew Patton.

Oh thanks! I know the names from fj but I really don't know/recognize them at all lol

The closest thing I have to a sister is the cat my parents adopted. Not sure how she and her brother would fare in a wedding party. I do have human brothers, though.

9 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I was such a shock to walk into a school where they learned everything from a particular viewpoint which wasn't expanded out to open debates! 

Still no good at quoting - forgive me.

I'm so had those kids have you!

As it happens, I'm dually ordained, Pagan and Humanist (my base degree is Alternate Theologies, with a special interest in women's spirituality) and served for a while as a PEBBLE rep, so I am completely in awe of your strength and patience! ...the number of times I've headed various officials tripping off the same diatribe: age 5-7 kids can only cope with one religion, junior school age it's good for them to have a rudimentary knowledge of three, five is for high school, six or more is excessive and should only be taught in upper high school for exams.

We used to try and persuade them then that picking which religions ought to bye less biased. For our area (Westcountry) the argument was always: most kids round here are either Christian or secular but celebrate Christmas and Easter. We add in Judaism next as it's basically the same (yep, I know, totally different) and Islam covers a lot of the same stories and ideas (again, wow, major cultural simplification and appropriation ). After that we have to add in Buddhism and either Sikhism or Hinduism depending on which we have more of. The rest we can cover if we decide to run the GCSE.

I sometimes wonder if there's some rule about education policy makers having to never encounter a child? The school I went to had an amazing head who insisted the whole school fully engage with every student's culture, so we would have a special meal and a party on all the special days and the relevant parents would come in. I remember learning to make chapattis and ladies, crafting Chinese lions for new year and diwali lanterns, and we were read stories of Mohammed and the Gurus as much as Jesus. In between we were read Victor Hugo, Aristotle, and major folk stories from all over the world in assembly too. The single greatest thing was, if ever there was prayer in anyone's culture we were told 'if for any reason you don't want to pray this way, show respect to others by putting your hands in your lap, close your eyes and dream of lovely things filling the hall.

We did alright from that I reckon - and every little kid I ever encountered seems to naturally enjoy exploring each other's cultures.

9 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I had only had 5 bridesmaids but if I could do it over I would just have 1. The whole bridal party thing does seem a little silly to me now.

My sis has decided that once she has her best friend's wife and her other best friend, plus two little new nieces, there's no room for me. That one's fine of course as little girls should get a chance. I do laugh though, I've graduated from the kid who never got picked to the one folks keep saying 'I can't have everyone and you're the one I know who'll still love me if I don't ask you'. I can live with that.

@MadeItOut Thts such a good way to teach religion! That's a better method than letting gets find out about other religious beliefs through arguments on the playground (when I was little I may or may not have argued with someone about Jesus...whoops :pb_lol:)

7 hours ago, Iokaste said:

Is there anything more than "decorative" reasons to have all those people be bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girls, page boys, etc?
It's just not really done here, so I'm rather puzzled by it all. 

If a couple already has children (more often than not) they might wear something matching and flowergirl/pageboy-ish, but I have yet to see an adult friend or sibling be a designated bridesmaid/groomsman.

One part of the tradition that's come down (at least on the British side of things) is said to hark back to Roman times and a belief that a couple on their wedding day are a huge magnet for malevolent spirits who would seek to steal their happiness, so that some of their friends would smarten up and stick with them everywhere they go so as to confuse the spirits. The best man/groomsmen thing for us harks back to the old Norse days when guys would go a viking for their wife and needed a guy with a good sword arm to mind their back while they got married.

5 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

One part of the tradition that's come down (at least on the British side of things) is said to hark back to Roman times and a belief that a couple on their wedding day are a huge magnet for malevolent spirits who would seek to steal their happiness, so that some of their friends would smarten up and stick with them everywhere they go so as to confuse the spirits. The best man/groomsmen thing for us harks back to the old Norse days when guys would go a viking for their wife and needed a guy with a good sword arm to mind their back while they got married.

I love to hear where the traditions started but the fundies...well...I'm pretty sure they have their own "mythology" and you're now going straight to hell lol :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

ETA And I wore a great hat! 

Ooooo I could get in so much trouble for a good hat! Shoes, not so much, but I LOVE hats (& you're right - never enough chance to wear them).

I sort of want to wear one for sis' wedding, but I'm not sure. Their colours are red, gold, and a warm off-white. As a large lady with Rosaceae, it's a worry what to do. ...esp as I don't want to embarrass her.

I don't understand why there's not more advice online for Sister of the Bride.

15 minutes ago, fish_ca said:

I love to hear where the traditions started but the fundies...well...I'm pretty sure they have their own "mythology" and you're now going straight to hell lol :pb_lol:

Meh, I've been going to Hel since at least 2001 and have some awesome friends there ahead of me ;)

Thinking about it, I do remember a friend of ex number 1's Mum being scandalised that we didn't name her kinds on the invite. We pointed out it was a no kids wedding, so in true fundie style she did them up in ridiculously restrictive clothes for kinds and insisted we stand them in the photos. ...did I mention being glad to get away from that community.

14 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Mostly Antrim coast. ;)

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been to ...

6 hours ago, Lurky said:

@justmy2cents I can't believe I've arguing over a Duggar wedding dress, but it literally says:

Now, it doesn't say "she bought two dresses and had the designer cut them in half, but I am pretty sure that's take as read, as what is the designer going to do with two half wedding dresses? Especially of it's the same "designer" Jinger used, who apparently doesn't make the dresses herself, even if it was possible to re-use the rejected bodice and skirt?

I doubt there were actual half-dresses. They probably looked at samples, said "the top of this and the skirt from this" and had it made up that way at the factory. I've forgotten how long they were engaged, but I think they had time to rush order a dress.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

YES! I can't even count 12 people,male or female,  I talk to much less like enough for them to be in my make believe perpetually single wedding. I'm also an only child and my closest cousin is a male 13 years older. And there's no way I like his wife enough to include her in anything. 

Only Children Unite! I would pick my cousin, who is like a little sister to me, and a friend I've known for years. I was a reader at my cousin's wedding, so it's only fair that I'd include her in my wedding. She only had a maid of honor & one bridesmaid. I was super fine with being a reader. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived