IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Pikes Peak or Bust?

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, BoPeep said:

I edited my response, cause the term was used when we were around other white people, not that this is the only company we keep.  I'm a history buff, and enjoy seeing different view points, and am always curious about why someone would believe this or that, or follow certain ways.  In my curiousity, I saw there were some reasons why some people felt strongly one way, while others felt strongly in another.  I don't follow other people's beliefs or practices, but listen and hear their personal reasons, and sift through some of it.  This northern aggression term was first heard by me in the deep south....it's not MY term.  It's not MY war, either (I joke that my relatives came to the US from germany after the civil war, but before the world wars....and settled in the north).  Yet, collectively, as an American....it affects us all...the scars run deep, the pain is real, and too many have been hurt.   Too many.

I hear you, no need to get defensive, neither one of us was around when the civil war happened. But I maintain that my slave ancestors and the betrayed freedmen and women were the only victims here. There is always collateral damage in war which is why it should not be entered into lightly.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the SOTDRT teaches about the civil war. I've gone way down the rabbit hole many times reading the deplorable words of Doug Wilson who is a slavery apologist. The guy who co-authored his book later started the League of the South. I don't think Wilson crosses over into the IBPL IBLP fundie world, but he is still regularly featured on Piper's website. 

When I student taught a few years ago, I did a few weeks in a middle school history class and we were teaching on the civil war. It was actually a really cool framing device where each student was split up as soldiers for either the Union or Confederacy (with a couple embedded, non-violent journalists for our Jehovah's Witness students). They had to write letters from the perspective of their character after each battle we taught, and then at the end of the unit they found out if their character lived or died based on the mortality rates. Unfortunately, I felt like the lessons went way too far towards "state's rights" and did not stress slavery as the cause enough. The teachers even brought in a local chapter of the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy to show the period dress and food. 

I'm in MO, so of course there is a lot of complicated history here being a slave-owning union state. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of my relatives referred to the civil war as the "war of northern aggression." Gross.

Racism is strong in the North, too. I lived in rural Iowa for a few years, and you would definitely see Confederate flags hanging proudly from people's decks or have the "Stars and Bars" as bumper stickers.

My internal response? "Your have GOT to be fucking shitting me." 

People have made the heritage vs. hate argument. I even got into a long discussion on Facebook with a friend from Texas about it. He tried to validate the lasting importance of flying the Confederate flag at the South Carolina statehouse. Let's just say, he lost the argument and ended up name-calling us "Yankees" some not so nice words. (We don't talk much anymore, now).

At least I could see where my Texas friend tried to make that argument as a "southern boy." It's stupid AF and 100 percent wrong, but I could see how he might think it.

As for Iowans I see having the confederate flag, well, they are just as bad, if not worse. 

I'm a white southerner. It's so hard to reconcile my ancestry....but to say that the underlying "cause"of the civil war was "State's rights" and not "slavery" is wrong. Check out many southern state's articles of Secession- documents; it's all there. Slaves built the South. I am proud of some of the recent movements to remove confederate monuments. It's hard to reconcile our history but we're slowly plodding in a better direction.

Here is a great article by a friend of mine:

https://lifeinthepastlane.org/2017/05/21/southern-heritage-its-complicated/

And I've lived my whole life in NC, as a product of their schools; it was always referee to as the"Civil War"- this " Northern Aggression" term is the one racists use.

8 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

I wonder what the SOTDRT teaches about the civil war. 

I don't know for sure what the Duggars or other fundies teach, but I know that Zsu Anderson posted a while back about a poem her daughter wrote in which Abraham Lincoln was described as a wicked and evil man who put his trust in Satan. The Bates have also been known to have confederate memorabilia in their house in the past.

3 hours ago, PVMom said:

I think all of the Duggars couldn't wait to get their hands on their spouse.    They were all like teenagers, sex crazed and not one bit shy or reluctant!    this is why their engagements are so short - because they've been forbidden from anything physical.    They can't wait one more minute!

And as far as Joy and Austin honeymooning in a tent......again, they are sex crazed teens.    Like all teens. they will have sex anywhere, literally anywhere and in a tent with an air mattress, no problem.     These girls aren't shy and reluctant for sex, they are the complete and exact opposite!

Wow, how did you gain such keen insight into their sex lives, sexual feelings and innermost thoughts? Amazing. Love the casual insult thrown at teenagers, too. Yeah, all teenagers are sex crazed and literally cannot control themselves. Give me a break. Most teenagers actually aren't sex crazed lunatics. Neither are people who wait to have sex until marriage (or whatever else). Everyone is capable of self-control, everyone, including men, teens, Duggars, and Christians. Shit like this is why we get excuses like, "Well how could he be expected to control himself?" thrown around.

Don't casually brush aside the intense indoctrination into sexual repression, fear and shame these young adult have undergone since birth. The fact that you can gleefully insist that they were jumping on each other like horny teenagers without hesitation makes me think you haven't had the opportunity to learn much about fundamentalism.

Also? This is just gross. All of this speculation about how they lost their virginity, how long they waited, whether it was in a tent, whether they enjoyed it, whether bugs crawled on them while they were screwing. We don't know what their sex lives are like. Hopefully we never will, because that's not exactly something I would expect or wish for them to share with the world.

20 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

I wonder what the SOTDRT teaches about the civil war. 

I'm not inclined to be optimistic for the following reasons:

1. Jackson was originally to be named Judah Benjamin, the name of a noted Confederate statesman

2. The Duggars have visited BJU, an institution notorious for its racism.

3. The Duggars endorse the "work" of David Barton, who is also a slavery apologist.

4. JB attended Christian schools. This may not sound suspicious, but before Brown v. Board of Education, conservative white Protestants were opposed to religious private schools, especially Catholic schools, which they viewed as "un-American." The fact that public schools in the South had a heavy fundie flavor was another reason they were against private religious schools. After Brown v. Board of Education," white conservatives built private "Christian schools" to avoid complying with school desegregation. Liberty University grew out of a segregation academy founded by Jerry Falwell. BJU lost its tax exemp status in the 1970s or 1980s (I forget the exact date) because it refused to stop its racist policies. This, not Roe v. Wade, is considered the real genesis of the modern Religious Right.

In short, I'm not confident about the kind of history being taught at the SOTDRT. My guess is that the Duggar kids are taught that the founding fathers were all IFB type Christians, blacks enjoyed slavery, and MLK was a communist who got what was coming to him.

22 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

The Bates have also been known to have confederate memorabilia in their house in the past.

Ah yes! The famous wall

I love camping and backpacking, I'm a girl, and tent sex is way better than boring bedroom sex. Fresh air, fun positions in tiny ultralight backpacking tent, the excitement of being in public but not really. Backpacking is better than camping in a campground though, as you have to hike miles and then you are sweaty and dirty and then the sex is kind of sweaty and dirty and it's just fun. Plus skinny dipping in tiny lakes. There's no better way to get to know a partner (if this is something you both enjoy) IMO. 

Idk the duggars' sodrt curriculum.  I attended elementary w abeka book as their curriculum (fundy pensacola christian college written, and in a huge bju church school...ugh), though I WAS in IL at the time, but Abe Lincoln was a hero, and adored, from my educational background.  The abeka curriculum, imo, tends to hero worship the founding fathers, as though they walked on water with Jesus, and in my elementary yrs, Lincoln was part of that hero worship.  Idk if that was abeka or our state-worship of the 16th president.  (I prefer to see people as humans, with strengths and weaknesses, vs as always 100% perfect heros, and my view of abeka history is that it tends toward the latter.  Perhaps I was just young and the hero worship part was what I remember, vs all that was taught to me, idk.)

48 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

1. Jackson was originally to be named Judah Benjamin, the name of a noted Confederate statesman

So, instead he carries the name of a President known for owning slaves, and who was responsible for removing Indians from southeastern US... 

Nice. /sarcasm

16 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

So, instead he carries the name of a President known for owning slaves, and who was responsible for removing Indians from southeastern US... 

Nice. /sarcasm

My guess would be that the name Jackson is a nod to Stonewall Jackson, but who knows what their reasoning was? None of the Duggars strike me as being interested in history, not even revisionist fundie history, so they could have just chosen it because it's somewhat trendy and begins with J.

10 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Anyways..

A road trip honeymoon going to different national parks sounds kinda cool. But damn, I hope they are staying in a hotel/cabin. Bugs crawling up your arse while doing the dirty (for the first time even!), doesn't sound particular exciting. 

Exciting? Very. Enjoyable? Probably not...

12 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

My guess would be that the name Jackson is a nod to Stonewall Jackson, but who knows what their reasoning was? None of the Duggars strike me as being interested in history, not even revisionist fundie history, so they could have just chosen it because it's somewhat trendy and begins with J.

I suspect it's because it's trendy and begins with J. 

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I'm not inclined to be optimistic for the following reasons:

I had no idea that it was the name of a Confederate.  I've known a few people named Judah and all were Jewish, and I thought they picked Judah because they have that fundy attachment to Israel and <sarcasm> they so love the Jewish people</sarcasm>

Benjamin Judah was the first Jewish Senator in the US.

• They could have loved the name because of their obsession with Jewish cultural appropriation  
  • Or they liked the thought of honoring the confederacy.

23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Benjamin Judah was the first Jewish Senator in the US.

• They could have loved the name because of their obsession with Jewish cultural appropriation  
  • Or they liked the thought of honoring the confederacy.

I vote for all of the above. The cultural appropriation and the love affair with all things confederate 

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Him? I thought only God got the capital letter.

Probably auto-correct from changing "him" so many times...

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I love camping and backpacking, I'm a girl, and tent sex is way better than boring bedroom sex. Fresh air, fun positions in tiny ultralight backpacking tent, the excitement of being in public but not really. Backpacking is better than camping in a campground though, as you have to hike miles and then you are sweaty and dirty and then the sex is kind of sweaty and dirty and it's just fun. Plus skinny dipping in tiny lakes. There's no better way to get to know a partner (if this is something you both enjoy) IMO. 

Our opinions differ! 
I'd much rather camp than backpack when it comes down sex! I enjoy access to bathhouse facilities on camp grounds. We've been together for 5 years, and I would still prefer we clean up lol
I do enjoy tent sex though :P .. Most campers have a sleep pad or air mattress, so it's not really uncomfortable. 

Maybe Austin is just stiff with loads of people. They do look relaxed and happy alone. 

My grandma was an only child and her mom passed before she got married at 19 to my grandpa. Her father wouldn't let her own any shorts, so on their way from the church to their "honeymoon" (a couple nights in Branson, perhaps?), they stopped and my grandpa bought her a pair of shorts. My grandpa is a man of few words, so when they tell this story he just shakes his head and says, "she wanted shorts," as if it was the most ridiculous rules and the only logical response.

I have no idea who Austin is and I don't have a ton of hope for Joy. But I hope at the very least, they stopped and got some shorts or fitness capris for all this hiking.

I love that Austin hasn't quite mastered the selfie yet. I think it's so cute that he is never looking in the same place that Joy is.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Him? I thought only God got the capital letter.

OR MAYBE:

Austin posted this, and was referencing spending their honeymoon in His nature?

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Also? This is just gross. All of this speculation about how they lost their virginity, how long they waited, whether it was in a tent, whether they enjoyed it, whether bugs crawled on them while they were screwing. We don't know what their sex lives are like. Hopefully we never will, because that's not exactly something I would expect or wish for them to share with the world.

Did they do it in a tent?

Did they do it among all the bugs?

How did they expend all that energy that was pent?

Now that they can do more than side hugs?

Do I care about the Duggars' sex lives?

No, pass the brain bleach please

Before I stab my eyes out with a dozen knives.

On 2017-06-04 at 4:17 PM, trustworthy said:

In terms of going from 0 - 60 on a wedding night, there's a whole blog of Mormon wedding night disasters which is quite entertaining.  Plenty of folks can't get it to work right away which is why I'm always grateful I don't see traumatized looks on these women in their honeymoon photos.  Let's hope they're not swallowing their misery and keeping sweet.

However I am interested in this blog. Link please.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived