IGNORED

Seewalds 23: Visiting Waco Again

Coconut Flan

18 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@RabbitKM Basically the 3 main reasons I found in my research: Slavery related (since many slaves were wet nurses to their masters children they were basically turned off, lack of support from I guess you would say their inner circle (so attitudes that breastfeeding is disgusting because it sexualizes the breast) and since I focused mainly on lower SES women in my paper the final reason was lack of time/resources. But the other two reasons could apply to black women in higher SES! (SES being social economic status).

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for your response!

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Trynn said:

I dislike pumpkin spice but that's mostly because I don't think Starbucks gets the flavor strong enough. I'd love it if I could actually taste the flavor.

Ask for one or two (or three!) extra pumps of the pumpkin spice flavor. :)

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

@VelociRapture is Selena Gomez white? I thought she was a non-black POC Latina (though POC can do appropriative shit also) She's at least passing.I'll give her another chance because she usually doesn't do things like that. 

Katy Perry has been and will continue to be appropriative trash.

Kylie Jenner is the worst offender of them all IMO. She irks my soul.

Selena is Hispanic. The article I linked gave a great example of the entire, "Fuck all y'all, I do what I want," reaction to getting called out though. I think she actually appropriated the bindi several times, but I don't recall anything specific other than that. Sorry if I caused any confusion - Velocibaby was calling for me.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:52 PM, Scribber said:

Yes, but... they are still evangelicals to the extreme. I imagine they are much like Jessa and Ben in their marriage - where ultimately if Chip spoke up? She would defer.

Oh my g-d she is such a doormat !

Check out their vanity memoir "The Magnolia Story" from your library or get it secondhand -- please dont give them any more money. 

She may act all wise and in charge on the show but when Chip says "ju..." she doesn't ask how high, she just starts hopping.  I'm sure if challenged they would claim the old "she stoops to conquer" BS or "you don't see all of it" but He *IS* In Charge.  It's pretty pitiful except they're multi-$$ so there's that.  

Creeps me out that the Sluggards are frequenting Waco because I'll bet you they're looking for respectability and a shining of their image with some kind of Gaines collaboration.

*shuddering*

3 hours ago, Trynn said:

I dislike pumpkin spice but that's mostly because I don't think Starbucks gets the flavor strong enough. I'd love it if I could actually taste the flavor.

That's because Starbucks sucks... that's not coffee:pb_lol:

#sorrynotsorry

@HermioneSparrow,  I got a coffee, equivalent in size to a Tall Starbucks, yesterday at the TD Farmer's Market.  Normally, I can only get through about half to maybe 2/3 of a Tall, but I drank the entire cup of West End Coffee Roasters Biltmore Blend.  It was divine!

I read once that the Peet's people taught the Starbucks founders how to roast coffee, but the Peet's founders said that the Starbucks guys weren't good students.  Starbucks burns their beans.

It looks like the side of the church building, so I guess she had to wear something to cover her knees on Sunday. NIKE! 

Hey Jinge, you have a closet full of dresses that hit you just below the knees. Wear one of those and leave the leggings for the wintertime. It's been 100 in Laredo with high dewpoints. She must have been dying. 

9 hours ago, VooDooChild said:

Cultural appropriation is bad, but I can see how this basic crap can become a stereotype.  I'm white, order a pumpkin spiced latte on a cold fall day wearing knock off Uggs cuz my feet are cold and that makes me basic?  Yeah, fuck that noise.

I feel like all of this basic crap was created to mock girls and young women who like popular Stuff.  If you're a guy and into cross fit,  you're healthy. You're a woman that likes soul cicle? Basic bitch. Likes AC/DC, knows every song by heart and dresses up for concerts? Music passionate. Do the same with Ed sheeran? Basic bitch.

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I feel like all of this basic crap was created to mock girls and young women who like popular Stuff.  If you're a guy and into cross fit,  you're healthy. You're a woman that likes soul cicle? Basic bitch. Likes AC/DC, knows every song by heart and dresses up for concerts? Music passionate. Do the same with Ed sheeran? Basic bitch.

Liked because while this is the first I've heard of "basic," it's not the first of double standards nor hyper criticism of females.  Keep speaking out!

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@HermioneSparrow,  I got a coffee, equivalent in size to a Tall Starbucks, yesterday at the TD Farmer's Market.  Normally, I can only get through about half to maybe 2/3 of a Tall, but I drank the entire cup of West End Coffee Roasters Biltmore Blend.  It was divine!

I read once that the Peet's people taught the Starbucks founders how to roast coffee, but the Peet's founders said that the Starbucks guys weren't good students.  Starbucks burns their beans.

if you ever get a chance, go to one of LaColombe's cafe's https://www.lacolombe.com/ (they are currently in LA, Boston, NY, Bryn Mawr, Philly, Chicago and Washington DC) they are who we use for our shop and they really are some great coffees! and yes, starbucks burns their beans to make them all taste uniform everywhere :pb_rollseyes:

I just realized that I must have, at one time, been a basic bitch. Remember the movie "10"? The one where Bo Derek ran on the beach with her long blonde beaded cornrows? I decided that I (blonde haired, green eyed) could do that. So I braided my own hair. It looked weird, but I did wear it for a few days before I decided it was too much trouble. I now apologize for culture appropriation.

I think basic bitch could be a stereotype against women. That being said I'm so over seeing people post pictures of their uggs and starbucks saying "It's officially Autumn now that there are Pumpkin Spice Lattes." How did you know it was Autumn in the days before starbucks? Of course, this is just a minor annoyance. :P 

I don't drink coffee though, so likely I just don't get it. I go to Tim Horton's get my hot chocolate and muffin. I'm good for the day. They also have small, medium, and large. This works better for me then large in three different languages being the sizes. That, however, is me. 

4 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't drink coffee though, so likely I just don't get it. I go to Tim Horton's get my hot chocolate and muffin. I'm good for the day. They also have small, medium, and large. This works better for me then large in three different languages being the sizes. That, however, is me. 

Basic Canadian! :)

I'm a large tea, bag in, double milk basic Canadian myself.

2 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Basic Canadian! :)

I'm a large tea, bag in, double milk basic Canadian myself.

I thought the basic Canadian got a large double double. ;) 

I'm an American who takes my coffee with milk (not cream) and my tea black. I need my coffee kinda weak because I can't handle the caffein. But for some reason I do not have a problem with really strong tea.

If I'm not in a place that will make my beverage "children's temp," I have to drink iced drinks. So I mostly drink iced coffee (not cold brew) all year long. Even in the winter.

I'm kinda glad I don't drink coffee cuz you guys are making it sound complicated as fuck to order! I also did not realize that liking Ed Sheeran makes me a basic bitch. I am ok with that. :)

Henry is such a chunky monkey! I just want to squeeze him! 

If the Duggar sisters are basic, I must be basic too, at least in my appearance, because I've counted three clothing items I own that either Jill or Jessa  also owns.  Jill has a mustard cardigan from Walmart that I wore to work constantly until I spilled grape juice on it two years ago, and she also has a necklace I own, one my mom bought me from Target. The necklace has a bronze medallion paired with a pearl-colored charm and a jesus fish charm. The bronze medallion has "Love is my religion" etched into it, which I find ironic and hilarious in Jill's case (suuuuure it is, you sexist, anti-Catholic, homophobes :2wankers:  :pb_lol:)  I also own Jessa's "wifey" shirt that she wore to Magnolia Farms, but in a different color (except I stopped wearing it in public 6 months after my wedding, because it just felt weird to continue calling attention to my marital status at that point, haha.) 

18 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Ugh, yes. 

It really feels sometimes like women can't win.

You like Taylor Swift, Ugg boots, and Pure Barre? You're a boring, basic bitch.

You like vintage couture, martinis, and read Vogue? You're a high maintenance princess. 

You like video games, Velvet Underground, and collect old comic books? You're a pretentious fake-geek girl who is just pretending to like those things so guys will like you. 

I'd really like to know what exactly is acceptable for those of us with vaginas to have as personal interests. Could there be some sort of referendum or mass email or something?

23 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Sounds yummy!! Try Juan Valdez, it's fantastic.. I think that coffee shop chain is in a few cities of the US.

I'm a coffee snob but I'm from South America and lived pretty close to Colombia so Starbucks taste like water to me... lol!

15 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I'm kinda glad I don't drink coffee cuz you guys are making it sound complicated as fuck to order!

No kidding! I always take my coffee black, but every time I order it everyone always wants to offer to put cream and sugar in it. And I'm like "No, just black." Even the simplest coffee order can be made complicated...smh

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived