Continued from here:

Jessa seems to love the Gaines family.

Who are the Gaines??

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

Who are the Gaines??

Chip and Joanna Gaines from the HGTV show Fixer Upper. They're Evangelicals as well. 

20 hours ago, bananabread said:

That's what I mean though...Spurgeon is so ridiculously cute and photogenic that most normal babies would look rough in comparison. No offense meant towards Henry. :) I was certainly a potato baby, and had siblings who looked MUCH cuter in the family photos!

I agree, and no offense meant.

In Holland we have the expression "ugly in diapers, beautiful in the (marriage) veil" . My grandpa said that when he first laid eyes upon me.

And me and the bf said after our son's birth (after being left alone) "well, we can pay for plastic surgery", which I told my mom, after which she send me a picture of a three month old baby with the same deformation aka me. ;) I turned out ok;). Not all baby's are beautiful and that is ok.

20 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I don't watch Fixer Upper, but isn't Joanna kind of the boss of her and Chip? Surprised she would watch that

I wouldn't say Joanna is the boss, per se. She plays the brains on TV. Chip is the brawny goofball. Joanna's taste is definitely prominent in their business, but her taste is what sells. We don't know how the power balances at home or behind the scenes.

On 6/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, Rachel333 said:

This is why it annoyed me so much that my teachers in France insisted I pronounce the S at the end of "Arkansas." We only have that spelling because of the French and now the French pronounce the S and we don't!

I live in Des Moines, no one can figure out how to say it. I get literal Des Moines Or De Moines, Or Des Moine, I had one call it Del Monte (because that is close) it is pronounced DUH MOINE.  

If you are in the mood for fun shirts go to

@Carm_88 I met this baby once that No Joke looked like a grown man's face in a baby's body. He even had a full head of hair! It was like one of those gags they do on late night TV or old Bugs Bunny cartoons.  It threw me so off. I nicely asked the mom who the baby looked like and she happily told me he was the spitting image of her husband. I have no doubt.  

As for the Gaines, there are times when Chip is an annoying dufus and Joanna just smiles and acts like it's fine. That's how she keeps sweet. 

On 6/6/2017 at 10:08 AM, bananabread said:

I feel kind of bad for future Henry. Spurgeon was always one of those rare ridiculously photogenic babies, while Henry has been stuck in the potato phase since birth. He's still adorable, but looking back at family photo albums might be hard on him. :pb_lol::pb_lol:

With a name like Spurgeon, the gods should give him better pictures! Henry got the better name 

(Still trying to catch up)

@JMO, there was a baby in the newborn nursery when my oldest daughter was born 36 years ago who had so much hair he looked like the old TV evangelist Ernest Angley, who has a really fake looking toupee.

14 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

I don't understand why the Duggars act like big college football fans, when they don't support or believe in attending these colleges?  And since they're so anti-tax, I hope they know that tax money is supporting their precious Razorbacks. Lol. The hypocrisy is mindblowing. 

Henry knows. Look at his expression, "Really mommy and daddy? Really with this shit?" Meanwhile, Spud is full on smizing. Baby model, right there! 

970df18c5b47f1573f1340ec785ef6c3.jpg
Goose on the loose via Jessa's Instagram story. So thrilling lol! [emoji23]

45 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Goose on the loose via Jessa's Instagram story. So thrilling lol! emoji23.png

I did a similar picture years ago when a few ducks crossed the street. Mine was better though - I wrote a caption about Michael Bay turning the children's classic, "Make Way for Ducklings," into an epic movie disaster. Because killing my childhood is what he does best.

9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I did a similar picture years ago when a few ducks crossed the street. Mine was better though - I wrote a caption about Michael Bay turning the children's classic, "Make Way for Ducklings," into an epic movie disaster. Because killing my childhood is what he does best.

I'm afraid of what that movie would be like, because explosions + ducklings doesn't sound like a good combination.

Old man Henry says "Stop taking pictures of me and get off my lawn!" 

On 08/06/2017 at 4:23 PM, Carm_88 said:
Old man Henry says "Stop taking pictures of me and get off my lawn!" 

He is starting to really look like Spurge, I think. Especially his smile.  Just needs some ringlets. I don't see Ben at all. Just totally JB and Ma Duggar genes. How can something so precious come from something so repugnant? JB makes me retch to look at. 

I'm sorry. Little Henry is just too stinking adorable. I love the serious look he always seems to have on (same with Allie Jane Webster.) And I also appreciate that drool look he's got going on. My daughter sports a similar look most days. :pb_lol:

I really hate the fact that babies aren't babies very long. I think of all the crap people buy for babies that they literally outgrow in weeks. I am glad that the hubs and I did not buy into the hype (well, the hype really wasn't a hype 30 years ago), and my daughter did not buy into it either. Alls those rockers, seats, jumpers, yikes...

@SassyPants I remember when the family I babysat had another baby and my mom was telling me to buy clothes that were like 6 and 9 months size and I was like why so early? I really didn't know they grew so quickly!!

I don't know why, but I see Jessa in those eyes, I guess I'm thinking of that old family photo when she was a baby. Also are those the seats that could hurt with babies legs?

7 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@SassyPants I remember when the family I babysat had another baby and my mom was telling me to buy clothes that were like 6 and 9 months size and I was like why so early? I really didn't know they grew so quickly!!

I don't know why, but I see Jessa in those eyes, I guess I'm thinking of that old family photo when she was a baby. Also are those the seats that could hurt with babies legs?

I can't remember about the Bumbos. I think it's an issue because it can delay baby learning to sit on their own.

And kids grow fast. Like, ridiculously fast. My daughter was a 5 pound preemie in December. She had her 6 month wellness check this week and was just over 18.5 pounds. She grew so much she's in the 90th percentile for weight for full-term babies her age.

(She was also on formula specially made for preemies that had slightly more calories than regular formula. She's all caught up growth wise now, so she's going to start on the regular formula soon. So her results aren't necessarily typical. :pb_lol:)

I don't remember much about the bumbo seats either anymore. I remember there was an issue when my kids were small because people would leave the baby in the while it was sitting on a table or other raised surface and the baby could wiggle out and fall.  We did use one here and there with my youngest (always on the floor) because she had trouble laying flat at times. She never could tolerate sitting still for more than 10-15 mins. at one time so she was never in it long enough to make a difference in sitting on her own.  I am assuming it is the same as with any baby holder type item it can be harmful with misuse. 

And @VelociRapture two of my 3 weren't 18 pounds at a year. I had tiny girls. My son made up for it though he was 29 pounds at his one year check, he is totally average for his age now.

41 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

And @VelociRapture two of my 3 weren't 18 pounds at a year. I had tiny girls. My son made up for it though he was 29 pounds at his one year check, he is totally average for his age now.

Your son had total chunk status!!! The three of them must have been so cute.

Husband and I are both tall. So we figure her size (18.5 pounds and 26.5 inches) is likely just due to that. Her weight gain will become more normal now that she's being switched to the regular infant formula.

4 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

two of my 3 weren't 18 pounds at a year.

My 7 lb/3 oz baby was 19 pounds at a year, but in the 99th percentile on height. The military hospital docs were trying to diagnose her with failure to thrive. I had to take her in once a week for height/weight checks. I was almost force-feeding her ice cream, pasta, etc., to try to get weight on her. She was built like me (tall/thin).

My 6 year old has just hit 27 lbs and we wanted to throw a party. She's long and lean.

All three of my boys were chunks.They were huge.I had people ask me what I fed them,or they'd accuse me of over-feeding them.They all wore an 18 month,at 6 months,a 2T or 24 months,at a year.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived