IGNORED

Seewalds 23: Visiting Waco Again

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Jessa seems to love the Gaines family.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't make heads nor tails of their traveling. I'm pretty sure the pictures I saw of the Duggars at Silver Dollar City on Wednesday morning included the brother holding Henry in that Magnolia market picture but I do tend to get the brothers confused.  Plus the person posting the pictures said all the Duggar grandchildren were there. Benessa and family weren't in the two quick shots she got so maybe she was wrong. If she was correct seems they wouldn't have been on their way home but on their way out? It wouldn't be that bad of a drive from their house to Waco. 

Maybe Waco is just a good place to refuel? I'd probably stop in Greenville or Tyler but maybe air traffic is less his time of year in Waco? 

If Jessa really likes the Chip and Jo style it would be cheaper and closer for her to just go to Canton. Waco is either on the way somewhere, for publicity, or both.

Out of interest do you pronounce Waco like Taco?

I have to admit until a few years ago, as a Brit, I thought that Arkansas was pronounced like it is written, it was only through watching 19kac that i realised 'arkensaw' was actually the same place as 'Arkansas' that I had seen on a map :tw_flushed:

9 hours ago, LKUK said:
I have to admit until a few years ago, as a Brit, I thought that Arkansas was pronounced like it is written, it was only through watching 19kac that i realised 'arkensaw' was actually the same place as 'Arkansas' that I had seen on a map :tw_flushed:

It's said as Wake-O from what I heard

@LKUK,  Arkansas is not only pronounced Ark kan saw, but also Ar -kansas.  The former is the correct pronunciation of the state while the latter is sometimes used for the river.  It depends on your locale.  People in Kansas and Colorado may say Ar -kansas. 

Washington is pronounced exactly as it is spelled, which is something we have to remind those people who attempt to call us "WARSH-ington". 

2 hours ago, LKUK said:

Snap!! I've still not figured out why the pronunciation and spelling are so different?

Many are based on Native American words or names. Sometimes we stuck with the NA word. Sometimes the word went from NA to anoher language or two on its way to its current incarnation. Sometimes it is a weird attempt at NA by nonnative speakers. I'm too lazy to look it up right now but since Kansas is a Native name I'm guessing Arkansas is somehow related to that like meaning the people of the Kansas tribe that live in the hills instead of plains or something.

35 minutes ago, ItsMeY'all said:

Many are based on Native American words or names. Sometimes we stuck with the NA word. Sometimes the word went from NA to anoher language or two on its way to its current incarnation. Sometimes it is a weird attempt at NA by nonnative speakers. I'm too lazy to look it up right now but since Kansas is a Native name I'm guessing Arkansas is somehow related to that like meaning the people of the Kansas tribe that live in the hills instead of plains or something.

26 states are named for Native American tribes or are words in a Native American language:

http://www.native-languages.org/state-names.htm

Arkansas comes from Acansa, the name of a Quapaw town. It means "southern place."

@VelociRapture I don't know how you know all this random stuff and are able to recall it.

When my eldest was 5 months old I was lucky to have a reasonably clean house, clothes washed and dinner on the table.

My sleep deprived brain could barely have me hold a conversation.  No way I could have recalled random stuff, let alone remember the stuff you do.

31 minutes ago, Percy said:

@VelociRapture I don't know how you know all this random stuff and are able to recall it.

When my eldest was 5 months old I was lucky to have a reasonably clean house, clothes washed and dinner on the table.

My sleep deprived brain could barely have me hold a conversation.  No way I could have recalled random stuff, let alone remember the stuff you do.

:pb_lol:

Google is very much my friend sometimes. Other times? Lots of reading and watching Jeopardy with my dad or husband pre-baby. 

I'm also very aware that we're fortunate to have a baby that sleeps pretty well. Took her a bit of time, but she's really gotten good at sleeping through the night. I'm still tired a lot, but I'm not ever going to complain because it could be way worse.

Fellow Brit (originally) here. - I know this dates me, but every mention of Waco still sends me to John Craven and Newsround.

Arkansas is a Native American word translated into French, then translated into English.  The French are to blame for the silent "S" at the end.  It's not unusual to have French-influenced pronounciations in the areas that were part of the Louisiana Purchase.  

Is this at Magnolia Market in Waco? Don't these people ever work?

On 6/4/2017 at 10:53 AM, Mirla said:

Arkansas is a Native American word translated into French, then translated into English.  The French are to blame for the silent "S" at the end.  It's not unusual to have French-influenced pronounciations in the areas that were part of the Louisiana Purchase.  

This is why it annoyed me so much that my teachers in France insisted I pronounce the S at the end of "Arkansas." We only have that spelling because of the French and now the French pronounce the S and we don't!

On 6/3/2017 at 8:29 PM, Georgiana said:

Washington is pronounced exactly as it is spelled, which is something we have to remind those people who attempt to call us "WARSH-ington". 

Mm, that may be an accent thing? I know my grandfather occasionally says that something needs to be "warshed."

On 6/4/2017 at 3:10 PM, Carm_88 said:

Wonder what they're thinking? 

Looks like they're all lined up taking a piss into the river

10 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Mm, that may be an accent thing? I know my grandfather occasionally says that something needs to be "warshed."

That happens sometimes with New England accents (ie, Boston), too. As examples: boiling the water is sometimes pronounced as "burling the wahtah", or parking the car is sometimes known as "pahking the cahr".

I love when I speak with a customer on the phone & they have an accent; I try to guess (mentally) where they're from, & once in a while I'm right. ;) 

On 4/6/2017 at 10:10 AM, Carm_88 said:

Wonder what they're thinking? 

Jinger: Josh wants in on the lawsuit. He needs money.

Jana: Michelle never takes good care of my children. Can I go back home?

Jennifer: I'm bored. Let's push Ben into the river. 

Ben: Who is Ben and what lawsuit?

Laura: Ben please shut up. 

Jessa: Damage control must be done. I'm the smartest one around here so I'll do the talk with Megyn Kelly and protect the Duggar brand. Stupid Josh. 

11 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Warshing is common in the Midwest USA:  "I need to warsh my dishes in the kitchen zinc."

5 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Jinger: Josh wants in on the lawsuit. He needs money.

Jana: Michelle never takes good care of my children. Can I go back home?

Jennifer: I'm bored. Let's push Ben into the river. 

Ben: Who is Ben and what lawsuit?

Laura: Ben please shut up. 

Jessa: Damage control must be done. I'm the smartest one around here so I'll do the talk with Megyn Kelly and protect the Duggar brand. Stupid Josh. 

Jinger: tell Jessa to stop telling me what to do. 

Jana: Jenn tell Jessa to shut up 

Jennifer: do i have to get involved 

Ben: where are the kids ? are they taking the picture

Laura: I saw Spud hiding behind the tree

Jessa: tell Jinger I told her to go into the water to find that coin i lost 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived