Coconut Flan

I think its a holder/insulater thing you put your beer can or bottle in. I think shes saying Joy might enjoy beer redneck style, like coors light from a cooler hanging at the lake with friends. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, motelmum said:

No offence @cascarones but could somebody who knows Australian English translate that for me please?  When I googled and "Koozie" is coming up as a stubby holder type thing, however I think something got lost in translation, Joy enjoying a stubby holder from time to time just doesn't translate.

A koozie is a piece of foam rubber/fabric used to hold a can of beer or soda.  

IMG_0007.PNG

2 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

My husband is 6 months older than me and we married when we were 20. When he turned 21 I could legally be served at a bar as long as I showed our marriage license. However therewas also bartender discretion so if they weren't comfortable with it they didn't have to serve me. I have never been a big drinker so we only did that a couple times. I did get served a handful of times though as a teen with my parents. Good ol' lax drinking laws in WI. 

Well, in WI beer and old fashions are a religion.

Here on the giant island, we call those Stubbie holders!

Haven't seen one being used lately.

38 minutes ago, divadivine said:

A koozie is a piece of foam rubber/fabric used to hold a can of beer or soda.  

Ha, I've always seen that called/spelled "can cozy." Is it pronounced the same (koze) or koo-ze?

2 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Ha, I've always seen that called/spelled "can cozy." Is it pronounced the same (koze) or koo-ze?

That's what we always called them growing up in CA.My other half grew up the in the midwest and is a bit obsessed with them. I got him the yeti one a couple of years ago for father's day and he loves that thing. 

25 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

re on the giant island, we call those Stubbie holders!

Exactly which is why it didn't make sense to me why Joy would enjoy a stubby holder. But I think as @MsSaylor explained it's a bit of a colloquialism.  I sort of assume now it would be similar to saying "Joy would enjoy a piss up" or a "tinnie"

For those googling, a tinnie can either be a tin/can of beer / alcohol or a small water craft.  A piss up  is a good time having a drink

I find it so bizarre that in some states you can get your 'learners permit' (in England we call them provisional) at 14 and drive at 16, you can get married at 18 but not drink until 21. Here its drive at 17, drink, vote and marry without permission at 18 (you can marry at 16 with permission) the only things you cant do until 21/25 are driving lorries and the like. Parents here are also allowed to let their children have alcohol in the home at their discretion/ at a restaurant with a meal once they are a certain age. Such few things can make quite a big cultural difference!

54 minutes ago, LKUK said:

I find it so bizarre that in some states you can get your 'learners permit' (in England we call them provisional) at 14 and drive at 16, you can get married at 18 but not drink until 21. Here its drive at 17, drink, vote and marry without permission at 18 (you can marry at 16 with permission) the only things you cant do until 21/25 are driving lorries and the like. Parents here are also allowed to let their children have alcohol in the home at their discretion/ at a restaurant with a meal once they are a certain age. Such few things can make quite a big cultural difference!

Connecticut here:

- Driver's permit is required for 16 and 17 year olds. I believe there's a separate one now for adult driver's as well. Once you meet the requirements and pass your test (written and practical) you receive your license. I think we have laws regarding number of passengers etc. for new minor drivers, but I don't know for sure.

- Drinking age is 21.

- Vote, join the military, and marry without permission at 18.

- Marry with parental consent at 16. I believe anyone younger needs parental consent and a Probate Judge's approval.

I believe our drinking age was raised due to the number of motor vehicle injuries and fatalities resulting from drunk driving. Any state that didn't comply would lose millions in federal highway funds. 

Parents can technically let their underage kid drink at home because most of the time no one would know... but the parents are held liable if that kid then causes an accident or requires hospitalization due to excessive drinking. And a bar or restaurant could lose their liquor license if they serve a minor and get caught get caught. A bar in my state actually just shut down because they served an underage college student and she fell to her death from their roof.

10 hours ago, JMO said:

What are they doing in Waco? How far is that from Laredo? Are they visiting Jinger? 

ETA: I Google mapped it.  5 hours from Waco to Laredo. But Waco is enough route from Arkansas to Laredo if they drive. 

They flew on the Mitsubishi plane. This was earlier this week. 

1 hour ago, LKUK said:

I find it so bizarre that in some states you can get your 'learners permit' (in England we call them provisional) at 14 and drive at 16, you can get married at 18 but not drink until 21.

<sniped for space>

Here in the States you can be drafted at 18, but can't drink. They will put a high power weapon in your hands, but won't let you have a beer.

When I came here in 1966, the drinking age was 21 in CT. In England, it was 18. We used to go across the state line to NY state where the legal age was 18. 

Technically in the UK it's legal to have alcohol aged 5, you can't buy until you are 18 but kids can have a lager shandy or watered down wine from age 5. My parents let us stay up late on Hogmanay/ New Years Eve and would let us have a shandy to toast in the New Year, it was probably a splash of lager topped up with lemonade. 

The 21 age restriction is stupid, it won't stop people drinking younger.

The states have the option to bring down their drinking ages, but if they do so, they will lose federal highway money.

3 minutes ago, SHERA said:

Looks like Johanna went through a growth spurt. Sorry if this was already mentioned.

IMG_0440.JPG

Jackson looks like her kid brother...and he's older than she is.

4 hours ago, motelmum said:

No offence @cascarones but could somebody who knows Australian English translate that for me please?  When I googled and "Koozie" is coming up as a stubby holder type thing, however I think something got lost in translation, Joy enjoying a stubby holder from time to time just doesn't translate.

None taken! The explanations are all correct, but not only that she might like a beer, but I was thinking of the scene where she brought the boys water when Austin asked to court. They're common for both alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages in Texas due to the how bloody hot it gets, at the very least catch the condensation. They called them 'kozmas' when I was in Greece.

Is Jill planning on doing another hospital birth from the start? Or is she going to try at home first? 

28 minutes ago, cascarones said:

Is Jill planning on doing another hospital birth from the start? Or is she going to try at home first? 

For the sake of her health and safety, as well as the health and safety of her son, I hope she does a hospital birth from the start this time.

29 minutes ago, cascarones said:

she told me last week she plans on delivering on the front lawn in a tent with jessa leading the cheers from the outside 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

When I came here in 1966, the drinking age was 21 in CT. In England, it was 18. We used to go across the state line to NY state where the legal age was 18. 

I'm close to the Canadian border in NY, and turning 19 was a big deal because we could go drink (legally) there. 

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived