Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, Bethella said:

Ha, I've always seen that called/spelled "can cozy." Is it pronounced the same (koze) or koo-ze?

Koozie is a registered trademark. In some areas it's like Band-Aid and Onsie and has just become the generic word for that object, but at the same time other people can't sell their products under that name. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, LKUK said:

. Parents here are also allowed to let their children have alcohol in the home at their discretion/ at a restaurant with a meal once they are a certain age. Such few things can make quite a big cultural difference!

14 with a plated meal, while sitting in a restaurant with a parent before 21.00;

16 while sitting in a restaurant with a parent before 21.00.

In ItalyI you are generally expose to Wine and alcool at home first like a sips from your parent Glass or grandparent give giù a little bit of Wine in a glass with water (usually what enough to color the water) after you are allowed to tra some at restaurant from your parent and around 14/15 at family party like wedding or so you could have your glass of a light Wine like Prosecco or champagne usually for the toast 

4 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

14 with a plated meal, while sitting in a restaurant with a parent before 21.00;

16 while sitting in a restaurant with a parent before 21.00.

Thanks for clarifying, i was too tired to go and check the actual ages which is why i was so vague!

@SHERA I have noticed this too in some of their recent photos, it also seems like she is dressing a bit older now even though she is only 11.

On 5/15/2017 at 5:18 PM, 2manyKidzzz said:

Love Wegmans. My little book club even meets there. Love it. 

I love Wegmans except I always end up spending way to much money there.  They do such a good job with displaying food and having samples in all the specialty areas.  My weak spot is the olive bar somehow before I know it I filled my container then when I go to checkout it is $20+.

and

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

When I came here in 1966, the drinking age was 21 in CT. In England, it was 18. We used to go across the state line to NY state where the legal age was 18. 

My dad did that in High School in the 60's. He and his buddies had an "illegal alcohol" ring. They'd buy it in New York and sell it for slightly higher prices in their hometown. Drinking age was raised nationally during the Reagan years I believe - so sometime in the 1980s.

You'll be proud to know we recently got rid of the old Sunday ban on alcohol sales though. Stupid blue laws. I blame the Puritans.  :pb_lol:

I think some people are a bit confused. It's not like the police are constantly breaking down doors looking for underage drinking. The law pretty much prevents the sale or public consumption of alcohol by those under 21. I know my parents would allow us the occasional sip while we were growing up and it's not like we were never exposed to people drinking. I'm guessing that's true for a lot of Americans my age.

(To be clear, I'm all for responsible consumption of alcohol. Not sure how I feel about people under 21 drinking though.)

19 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

people under 21 drinking

This "must be 21" thing has always been a pet peeve. What makes the difference between 20 years/364 days and 21 years/0 days? What suddenly changes in that minute between "not of legal age" and "legal age?" Nothing.

I was raised with alcohol in the home. I had (diluted) wine with special occasion family meals (Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter/funerals/weddings) from the time I was 6 or 7. My parents bought my wine coolers for me in the 80s, and the S.Slytherins bought Zima (yeah, Zima) and stuff for our little GryffindorDisappointment to consume at home. Better at home than out on the streets/driving around.

47 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

You'll be proud to know we recently got rid of the old Sunday ban on alcohol sales though. Stupid blue laws. I blame the Puritans.  :pb_lol:

We still have them in South Carolina... can only buy Liquor from 10am-7pm Monday-Saturday at a special store. They are marked by three red dots because they can't put "Liquor store" on the signs

Though you can buy beer anytime. 

40 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

This "must be 21" thing has always been a pet peeve. What makes the difference between 20 years/364 days and 21 years/0 days? What suddenly changes in that minute between "not of legal age" and "legal age?" Nothing.

I was raised with alcohol in the home. I had (diluted) wine with special occasion family meals (Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter/funerals/weddings) from the time I was 6 or 7. My parents bought my wine coolers for me in the 80s, and the S.Slytherins bought Zima (yeah, Zima) and stuff for our little GryffindorDisappointment to consume at home. Better at home than out on the streets/driving around.

@SapphireSlytherinI don't know either. I just know one of the big reasons they changed the law was due to alcohol related motor vehicle injuries and deaths. Other than that I really know next to nothing, which is why I didn't really state my opinion about it. 

I don't support the idea that minors* should be able to purchase alcohol or consume it without parental oversight. But if parents want to occasionally offer their teenager a small amount the way my parents did with us, that's something I don't really have an issue with. Personally, I'm not comfortable offering a young child anything alcoholic - but I also have alcoholics in my family. So I have good reason to want to be cautious with that, especially with my own kids.

*Minors here means under 18 (the legal age of adulthood in the US), not 21.

Just now, VelociRapture said:

I also have alcoholics in my family. So I have good reason to want to be cautious with that, especially with my own kids.

100% legit reason to be especially careful.

There is alcoholism in my family,too.My son knows a guy he went to school with,played recreational baseball with...he is serving time because he drove drunk and killed someone..could be 15 years.My sons used to play trivia at a bar,with friends.People would try to get my oldest to drink,he refused.But,because of what happened to my youngest son...driving responsibly is important to me ,now.Alcohol wasn't involved with the driver who clipped my husband's vehicle causing him to lose control but speed was,and Mr Melon believes a cell phone was.

14 hours ago, Lurker said:

The states have the option to bring down their drinking ages, but if they do so, they will lose federal highway money.

Montana was a hold out in this for quite a long time. Also for the speed limit stuff too.

According to family lore...I got hammered at a family gathering when I was about 18 months old. My mother and grandmother and other relatives were drinking scotch on the rocks and evidently I went around drinking the little bit of water/booze at the bottom of the glasses. 

Then...my dad and I used to have hot dog omelets and a beer on the Thursday nights my mom had to work (she had to work one 1-9 shift a week). I was the confirmation sponsor for a friend who I consider a little sister (yes, even now)...and her parents took us to Chi-Chi's after the confirmation mass...he kept ordering us Pina Coladas and well...yeah...She and I were decidedly under age at the time.

Back then, drinking ages in my home state were kind of strange...at 18 you could drink beer in a restaurant/bar...had to be 19 to buy beer to go and 21 to buy anything else. Liquor is sold in state-owned stores known as ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) stores. It was mind-blowing to see all kinds of booze sold not only in the grocery store but even in Walgreen's and CVS here. 

I sure hope this makes sense...I'm still "under the influence" of my pain pills and muscle relaxers. Had an MRI done this morning and I HATE those things, so I took the meds I usually don't take until the evening...not that they did me any good, my back started spasming in the fucking tunnel from hell. 

So I was thinking back a couple of seasons where we've all discussed Jana saying the infamous "I didn't see that coming". I've been thinking about this again (I realllllly need a life) and my memory seems to recall it was stated just a little bit before they announced Jinger was courting.  During the next season, when Jana is prepping the house for Jill, et al, we all noticed Joy laying on the bed texting obliviously.  Do we think that Jana's statements is about this pending courtship in the horizon? Meaning Joy's courtship? Or is that a huge jump? I know it is silly, but I hate that TLC had such a big cliffhanger that was never actualized. I need to know what her ambiguous statement means! lol  I know I'm probably reaching but was curious what the rest of ya'll (I couldn't pass it up) thought.

7 hours ago, GnomeCat said:

So I was thinking back a couple of seasons where we've all discussed Jana saying the infamous "I didn't see that coming". I've been thinking about this again (I realllllly need a life) and my memory seems to recall it was stated just a little bit before they announced Jinger was courting.  During the next season, when Jana is prepping the house for Jill, et al, we all noticed Joy laying on the bed texting obliviously.  Do we think that Jana's statements is about this pending courtship in the horizon? Meaning Joy's courtship? Or is that a huge jump? I know it is silly, but I hate that TLC had such a big cliffhanger that was never actualized. I need to know what her ambiguous statement means! lol  I know I'm probably reaching but was curious what the rest of ya'll (I couldn't pass it up) thought.

That irritates me too. The way it was edited certainly made it seem like Jana had big happy news about her own life, especially with that little giggle they added at the end. And so I watched this boring show waiting for the big reveal and got nothing. I don't know why I care but I do. TLC knows that a lot of people care about what happens to Jana. Not cool, TLC. 

19 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

Koozie is a registered trademark. In some areas it's like Band-Aid and Onsie and has just become the generic word for that object, but at the same time other people can't sell their products under that name.

In Thailand, a Koozie is called a condom.....

1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

In Thailand, a Koozie is called a condom.....

That's pretty spectacular. 

I still feel somewhat embarrassed asking for a condom in a bar!

15 hours ago, CatchThatCow said:

That irritates me too. The way it was edited certainly made it seem like Jana had big happy news about her own life, especially with that little giggle they added at the end. And so I watched this boring show waiting for the big reveal and got nothing. I don't know why I care but I do. TLC knows that a lot of people care about what happens to Jana. Not cool, TLC. 

I thought that the way she said it suggested that she was talking about someone else. Maybe a surprising courtship that didn't work out.

NY here, it's very strict. Anyone who looks under 40 will be carded. No bar will serve alcohol without ID. Most places here have bouncers at the door checking IDs. It's been like this for like 10 years now. It wasn't always this strict. Bar owners have gotten in a lot of trouble so the gov tighten it's leash.

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

NY here, it's very strict. Anyone who looks under 40 will be carded. No bar will serve alcohol without ID. Most places here have bouncers at the door checking IDs. It's been like this for like 10 years now. It wasn't always this strict. Bar owners have gotten in a lot of trouble so the gov tighten it's leash.

I don't know if you mean the state or city (or both), but my friend goes to school in Yonkers and claims that there are tons of bars in the city that don't card. They're probably not as nice, and infested with college and high school students, but they do exist. 

I agree with @OyToTheVey that New York City and State are very strict with age ID enforcement for alcohol.  My kids were carded more than once during family time out when they ordered a beer.

I can't remember the last time I was carded. When I buy alcohol at the grocery store, my receipt says "exempt" in the space for putting in that the cashier checked my ID. :sigh:

On 6/5/2017 at 10:08 AM, feministxtian said:

According to family lore...I got hammered at a family gathering when I was about 18 months old. My mother and grandmother and other relatives were drinking scotch on the rocks and evidently I went around drinking the little bit of water/booze at the bottom of the glasses. 

I came around the corner into the kitchen at 5:00 pm to find my three-year-old knocking back something in a shot glass. It was clear. I freaked out thinking it must be vodka. 

I yelled to my husband, "What was in the shot glass?" He calls back, "Viscous lidocaine!" It was a prescription his physician had given for strep throat pain. Our son ran to the bathroom and turned on the tap and then informed me, "I wash my mouth out!"

50 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I can't remember the last time I was carded. When I buy alcohol at the grocery store, my receipt says "exempt" in the space for putting in that the cashier checked my ID. :sigh:

It's all good. You can reframe it like a Duggar does: You're exempt because you're far too special and important. ;)

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived