Coconut Flan

I keep linens in mine. It is 40 years old. I'd take a picture, but it's under plastic in a room that is undergoing a remodel.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lurky yeah I could see all that, I know my grandma was very proud of hers (her dad had made it when she was born) which I'm sure was a big deal in her day. I knew she had crocheted a ton of baby clothes before she was even married. She was from a little farm town so I'm sure they were a little behind the times too. 

I was so close her her my whole life but I realized when she passed away a few months ago there was a lot I didn't know. It makes me kinda sad sometimes

@Daisy0322, @Lurky, same thing. That portion of the family is rural (one stoplight sort of county), so perhaps a slower pace than most are used to. Hope chests are traditionally saved for marriage, but ultimately for when you venture out on your own.  There's certainly things in it I'm saving for marriage, but I've taken out things when I went to college and bought my home. I think my grandfather made my hope chest himself, but it has linens with with fine hand crocheted embroidery, kitchen things, some envelopes that have events on them ('wedding', 'first big fight', 'first baby', 'draft', etc), recipes, random stuff that reminded me to them (we found a left handed thingy!) and some baby items for all of the eventual urchins to play with. My brothers didn't get chests, but a rattle and some equally heartfelt things. 

Basically just the ultimate care package. 

My mom was given a cedar (hope) chest for her graduation from high school in 1951. She gave it to me when I got married in 1982. I have kept all my kids mementos in it. Somehow all that stuff is still there. My kids say they have no room for anymore stuff. There are Cabbage Patch Dolls, newspapers from the day they were born, little clay pots they made in kindergarten etc. My mom kept my come-home-from-the-hospital outfit and it is in there too. As are baby shoes (both mine and my kids), my son's first pair of eyeglasses (he was 2 when he got glasses for the first time) and various other things. This is making me want to go through all this stuff and give it to the person it belongs to. I was going to give my son's Cabbage Patch doll to his firstborn, but she was afraid of anything that had a face. So no dolls for her, ever. Then she apparently passed that on to her sister, so no dolls for her either. Maybe I will get lucky with this newest little girl. With 3 grand-daughters and maybe more to come one day, I have to decide who is going to get it when I die....lol.

Sorry I've been at work and didn't see the question @Daisy0322.  I see it's been answered :)  .  They're called Glory Boxes in Australia (at least in my family).  

My mum had one before she was married.  It was used to store blankets etc when I was growing up.  They downsized 2 years ago and it is now in the back of my brother's van with beach toys etc in it. I didn't have room for one in my bedroom before I married, but I collected china, cutlery, dishes etc on top of my wardrobe. 

My daughter has no desire to start a glory box of her own. 

On 5/19/2017 at 9:16 PM, Londish said:

I wonder if the girls' lawsuit is going to be mentioned on the upcoming season. I am leaning towards probably not, but I wouldn't be too surprised considering how candid the first few episodes were, with all of the talk of the Josh scandals and how it affected them.

Their attorney's may have advise them not to. 

14 hours ago, elvirajane said:

So I guess now TLC has to make baby announcements more exciting to go on with the show.

I'm pretty sure someone almost spilled the beans about a Jinger pregnancy on their Mother's Day video. That, coupled with the clip of them asking Jinger if she took a test makes me believe they will announce it to the public once the first episode airs. 

I got myself a hope chest when I was freshly out of college. Never saved up anything for marriage in it, though. Saved newspapers and magazines from significant events, precious items from my childhood, and some stuff from my kids.

Lane, who made a lot of cedar chests, gave away small versions of their chests in the 70s, because I received one as a high school graduate. I believe it was a marketing ploy to "remember to get a hope chest!" I still use my mini cedar chest as a jewelry box.

Now I have my mother's pine chest which she inherited from ancient ancestors... it's handmade, with dovetails.

8 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I got myself a hope chest when I was freshly out of college. Never saved up anything for marriage in it, though. Saved newspapers and magazines from significant events, precious items from my childhood, and some stuff from my kids.

I had a friend who was divorced for like decades made amazing money raised her son, but always never let self go on that honeymoon vacation to Hawaii because she was saving it to go with a man that never materialized.  I am so not like that - what is the point in waiting - go for it - don't wait for that special time.  Every day is a special time.

I have a cedar (hope) chest from my grandmother.  I have just one son, and hope for a grand-daughter who will like it. 

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Lane, who made a lot of cedar chests, gave away small versions of their chests in the 70s, because I received one as a high school graduate. I believe it was a marketing ploy to "remember to get a hope chest!" I still use my mini cedar chest as a jewelry box.

I graduated in the 90s and I got one too. I keep my lipsticks in it.

I'm using my mother's chest as a coffee table. It has the hub's baseball cards inside it. 

My hope chest was passed down from my great-grandmother, to my grandmother, to my mother and then to me. There's a lot of really nice things inside, baby stuff, beautiful embroidery, and jewelry belonging to all three. But I love it most because it once belonged to each of them. As the years pass there's less and less people who remember my great-grandmother and my grandmother its nice to still be able to look at their things and the hope chest and remember them. I knew them, loved them and learned a lot from them. Also, to try and show to the next generation and try to give them a connect to two great women that they'll never have met. They were amazing women and I want them to know that.  I don't want them to be forgotten.  I hope to pass the hope chest down too. 

My hope chest was made by my dad. He also made one for my sister and gave them to us for Christmas several years ago. I use mine mostly to store my winter clothes in the summertime and my summer clothes in winter but there are also some quilts, mementos, and other items in there.

I have a cedar chest my dad made sometime before I was born. My sister used it as a hope chest after she was engaged, but she didn't take the chest when she moved out. I used it as a young teenager because I was super romantic & wanted nothing more than to get married & have someone to take care of me (thank Rufus I was not popular with the guys or I would have done my best to be married at 16 - I shake my head at the young FemShrew). I had stuff in it like dishes, quilts, and bedspreads from my great-grandmother's house, that were given to me when she died.

Right now it's in the closet in our hobby room, holding our sheets. It needs a new lid, molding glued back on, & probably needs to be sanded & given a coat of polyurethane. I'd put it at the foot of our bed but I know I'd most likely break a toe on it in the  middle of the night.

my cedar chest has unknown origins.  one of my mom's more distant cousins gave it to her ~25 years ago when his mom was downsizing.  she kept it for about 15 years, then gave it to me.  it was never particularly valuable, has at least 5 coats of paint on the outside (inside is still pristine), had the legs replaced at least three times--currently has castors, and is still very sturdy.  i used to keep it at the foot of my bed when i had a bigger bedroom; we used it for off-season clothes and as a bench.  it's now on an enclosed porch, still doubles as a bench, and holds mittens, scarves, and the like.

@catlady you just gave me an idea! My cedar chest is on a separate base (also cedar) that is falling apart & probably impossible to fix. You can't slide it across the floor or pick it up because this base hangs off. I can take the base off, and put castors on the flat bottom. Hmmmm.... 

On 5/28/2017 at 7:08 PM, Chickenbutt said:

I was going to give my son's Cabbage Patch doll to his firstborn, but she was afraid of anything that had a face. So no dolls for her, ever. Then she apparently passed that on to her sister, so no dolls for her either. Maybe I will get lucky with this newest little girl. With 3 grand-daughters and maybe more to come one day, I have to decide who is going to get it when I die....lol.

Cabbage Patch dolls are kind of scary to a lot of us....

Do we have any Duggar predictions for the next little while? For the next season of the show, I'm predicting it will be about 70% flashbacks, 10% previews, and 20% new content (if we're lucky).

Other than that:

JoKen wedding: Labour day weekend

Jostin pregnancy announcement: late August, at JoKen's wedding

M5's arrival: early-mid September (September 8th is in my mind)

JinJer pregnancy announcement: I'm honestly hoping it doesn't happen on this season of the show. Realistically , I could see it happening by the end of June.

Dullard 2's arrival: July 5

Joy's pregnancy announcement. :my_cry:

6 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Do we have any Duggar predictions for the next little while?

More about the events in Central America and how scared the Dillards were?

A family member did aid work there for years and their attitude/ story line irks her to no end, especially how little transparency there is around their missionary work. Under her skin to the point Jill's banana bread is in her standup routine. 

But hoorah for hearing about everyone's hope chests! Didn't mean to completely derail everything.

Predictions for second half of 2017:

1. Arrival of Dilly the Second and M5 - both before end of summer. 

2. JoKen nuptials by mid-September.

3. JinJer pregnant by end of year. Same with JoKen.

4. JoStin pregnancy announcement by October.

5. More coverage about how scary CA is. Continued non-coverage into what they're actually doing.

6. Glimpses at JinJer's life in Laredo. Any creepy or controversial stuff - like the pregnancy center - will be edited out. Lots of Jinger exploring her new city, enjoying coffee, and Jeremy talking about the positive aspects of his ministry.

7. Copious amounts of Spur and Henny. Israel tries licking something he shouldn't. Random children roam the TTH without adult supervision.

8. Michelle and Boob basically not doing shit to actually help JoKen with the wedding.

9. A few more awkward attempts to acknowledge Josh Duggar is a Douche (abbreviated JDIAD) by the family. 

10. Some stuff regarding the lawsuit. Not sure what. But something regarding it.

11. One of the elder twins will continue to not court for whatever reasons.

12. Another courtship announcement. Possibly one of the elder twins, but likely Josiah. Homeboy seems desperate for a bit of attention.  

13. Benessa will announce another pregnancy later this year (or be very early in another pregnancy by year's end.)

14. The show will cover the lead up to JoStin's wedding. We will all be bored because it's the same shit with different names.

15. Someone will get alcohol poisoning while playing a drinking game during Joy's wedding. Possibly Buzzard if she does the recap - pretty sure drinking is the only way to recap a Duggar wedding and stay sane.

16. Lawson Bates will continue to be a mopey attention whore. Speculation will continue that he got his heart pieces stolen by a married Duggar daughter. 

17. Cousin Amy will announce a new blessing. It'll either be a baby or another kitten. She will continue to be the only Duggar I can stand for more than two seconds.

18. Jinger will be free to drink as much coffee as she wants. She'll accidentally overdose and do several Talking Heads sounding like a hyperactive squirrel.

19. We'll finally see the JoKen wedding proposal. Some FJers will be cool with it. Others will claim he's an attention stealing whore. The rest of us will just be glad we aren't Kendra.

5 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

No cause I'm already shipping myself with her. I call dibs on @VelociRapture

Sorry guys. I've been here longer and we're already best friends. Get in line. :boom:

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived