IGNORED

Dillards 29 - Teaching Them to Make Piñatas

choralcrusader8613

I wish a magazine would actually call them out on their grifting ways. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not about to defend them or their choices... but I'd be pretty shaken up if someone I knew was killed like that too. How horrible for that poor man and his loved ones.

That said, I'm also smart enough to know that I'm not the type of person who would be personally qualified to assist the people of El Salvador with the very real problems and dangers they face. So I'd probably just return home for good and donate my money to legitimate charities and organizations that are qualified to help somehow. HINT HINT DERICK! 

Aren't people living in Central America more likely to be kidnapped or murdered if a gang  member believes their victim has connections to westerners (who may have money to pay ransoms with?)  Would it be too much of a stretch for me to say Jill and Derrick are probably endangering the people in the community they're "helping" by posting white savior-y updates online about them where anyone can see them? The posts they put up always include pictures of the people visiting the hospitality house, and this is now the second (third?) person in their immediate orbit who's been killed by gangs. Maybe those gang members have pieced together that the locals are "friends" with Jill and Derrick, who have a reality TV family back in the United States that they could extract ransom money from?

Of course, I'm assuming here that Jill and Derrick begging for money all the time wouldn't register on the radar of the gangs. I'm guessing that white people with a TV show would be presumed to wealthy right off the bat in C.A., regardless of actual wealth, but I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Why of course she did! How would us haters understand just how DANGEROUS Central America is otherwise? It's not all falling shower racks you know. These people have real issues. The thing is that Jill and Derick are not and will not make their lives any better. So they need to get their asses back to Arkansas, Derick needs to get a real job, and Jill need to give birth in a hospital. The end. 

This!  They are in way over their heads.  Honestly they are the ones hanging on to all the life jackets when they could be used for others.  Time to mercy end the Praycation!

I agree with everyone else.

The Dillards need to move back to the states. Derick is educated enough to secure a paying job. Jill can do the fake MW gig and take care of the kids.

There are plenty of ways to minister in the US.

Well SassyPants has a heart for foreign travel and mud pie, but despite working for 35 years and being on the planet for 58 years, I can neither travel nor consume pie whenever I feel the urge. If you don't have the means to make what's on your heart happen solely on your own, you build a bridge and move on.

SP hates grifting scam artists- looking right at you Jim Bob Duggar!

They could probably help more people by having normal jobs and donating money than doing what they're doing now...

43 minutes ago, ak1188 said:

They could probably help more people by having normal jobs and donating money than doing what they're doing now...

Don't you know, JOBS and WORK are bad words in the Duggar/Dillard vocabulary? They're right up there with birth control and abortion. They would be horrified if you said such things to them

I worked for Wal-Mart around the same time Derrick did, and I remember being absolutely livid when I heard he got a job at home office, because I had been trying to get promoted for a couple of years with no success. After he and Jill ran off to C.A., I had already found a better job, better than the home office job even, but I was still peeved about him quitting like it was no nig deal, because I wouldn't have taken that job for granted (if they had hired me for it), whereas Derrick definitely did take it for granted (IMO.) 

Mentioning God? Check.

Overinflated sense of a child's actual impact/importance/accomplishments? Check.

Use of the words "precious", "sweet", or "blessing"? Check.

But, dare I say, Michelle seems to be improving on trying to personalize the standard birthday message for her spawn?

11 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:
Mentioning God? Check.

Overinflated sense of a child's actual impact/importance/accomplishments? Check.

Use of the words "precious", "sweet", or "blessing"? Check.

But, dare I say, Michelle seems to be improving on trying to personalize the standard birthday message for her spawn?

Well Jill was one of the earlier children and one of the favorites. I'd hold off saying she's improving until one of the howlers or lost girls gets a personalized birthday message.

Infantilize a 20 something year old woman, mother of almost two, by calling her "precious Jilly"?  Check.

Seriously, in the grand scheme of our world and individual accomplishments or contributions for your average 26 YO, Jill's on the lower end of contributors.

It is so obvious that Jill is jb's favorite. has he ever written a personal message like this to the other kids?

IMG_1108.PNG

One would think Jana would be JB's favorite because she is such a good SAHD. Jill looks like a female Jimbob so maybe that's why.

15 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Well Jill was one of the earlier children and one of the favorites. I'd hold off saying she's improving until one of the howlers or lost girls gets a personalized birthday message.

Yeah, when the messages couldn't be used for any of the interchangeable younger kids, I'll believe it.  The only difference between Lost Boy/Girl messages are that they have to be gender appropriate, but otherwise it's all servants' heart, heart for the lord, loves helping with her little nephews/cousins, done

Did Jim Bob need to ask for an accountability buddy to watch him type that Birthday message to Jilly Muffin on instagram, lest he stumble upon some Nike-worthy advertising or something equally heinous? 

10 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

One would think Jana would be JB's favorite because she is such a good SAHD. Jill looks like a female Jimbob so maybe that's why.

Jill's the favorite because in their heyday, she was always the strongest mouthpiece. She could echo JB's schtick perfectly on the book tours, etc - she re-enforced his brand just like Josh did (ha, those were the days). Jana's less articulate and shy, and while she may be a great sisterwife and SAHD, she didn't help make JB/Mee-chelle with their public branding quite the same way. JMO.

Jill was living, walking proof of how great JB was at fathering the way he does.

13 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

Jill was living, walking proof of how great JB was at fathering the way he does.

I think was is really the keyword here. Jessa is clearly doing a better job at spreading JB's brand now. Jill being in SCA is good for the Duggars in their own circles but to the outside world, Jessa is more relatable. 

On 5/16/2017 at 11:28 AM, Lurky said:

Here's what I wonder about Jill & her sisters.  When it was just Jill and Jessa married, Jill obviously had the more higher status husband and more knowledge of soul winning etc, so could be properly queen-like in their sect.  But now Jinger is an actual pastor's wife, and one who seems to be self-supporting/at least not publicly grifting, to boot, how does that work? 

I admit, I'm seeing things in terms of the Georgian/Victorian peerage, where a younger sister who marries a higher-ranked peer now takes precedence over her older sister, so the pecking order I'm envisioning in Fundy-dom probably doesn't exist... but if it did, Jinger's now the Queen Bee, right?  I'd put Jessa second, what with TWO blessings and a husband who actually works, but I can see how being missionaries in Danger America could top that in their world...

(I'm also confused - SCAD is a heart issue, right?  So how would the existence of SCAD make it more likely a teenage girl had a spontaneous stroke?  Sorry if I missed something)

I have the same thoughts. I've read posts talking about Derick forcing his wife and child to live in such horrible and dangerous conditions. Oh no way. I bet Jill is ecstatic to go down there. This gives her a martyr's prestige. 

I will go farther: Frankly, she seems a committed zealot. Just like her mom. If she actually faced real danger, or her child or husband was exposed to it, she'd be thrilled. Her status would rise. And I think some of these people are crazy enough (mama Duggar is one), that they don't shrink from the possibility of being a real martyr and dying for God. 

On 5/16/2017 at 0:03 PM, Bad Wolf said:

One of our friends (a fellow Christian). Of course, she had to mention that. Can't have non  Christian friends. Is the loss greater or more profound because they're Christian? :annoyed:. Rant over.

I think she's differentiating between fellow proselytizers and their prey. To illustrate the grave dangers she and Derick are in doing their missionary work. I mean one would expect those heathens to be getting into all sorts of trouble. So if that happened to a new "friend" they were trying to convert, it wouldn't be as shocking or important as if it happened to fellow converter. 

I don't understand the line about praying that the local church allow them to basically comfort the family. It could just be bad writing but could it mean that the local, non-fundy, church is trying to take care of one of its own? Seems like they are allowed around. Also, I would not be posting pictures of a family whose loved one was just killed. It may put the family in more danger. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived