IGNORED

Dillards 29 - Teaching Them to Make Piñatas

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Did they get non profit status? They still have to file a return, which Derick should know. To think we once were impressed because he had a degree from a real university and a job. I think he's outduggared the Duggars.

I think Derick's real grifting hero is John Schrader (married to Anna Duggar's sister, Esther). He had lived with his family in a tent camper and is now in Africa, after dubiously grifting his trip there, including an airplane. Read more about him in Quiver Full of Snark.  May Derick and John never meet in real life! I think they would even try to out-grift Jim Bob Duggar and Gil Bates. 

I can't even...a coupla white kids from Arkansas with few transferable skills and little to no language skills are teaching South American people how to make piñatas? Good gravy. The fourth horseman is on his way!!

Whyyyyy did I watch that video? I need a follow up with that chick to make sure her baby doesn't have some type of disability after that bullshit.

16 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Okay, yes, your grandma. I'm going to hazard a guess that your grandma was not a teenage girl at the time. I also have an extremely hard time believing that a 27-year-old woman with no preexisting conditions or risk factors whatsoever had a stress-induced heart attack. 

Well, you can have  hard time believing it but please don't be so dismissive about it.  Many local doctors at some of the best hospitals in the country, plus the doctors she flew to meet with as part of a study she participated in at the Mayo Clinic, would disagree with you.  It's called spontaneous coronary artery dissection and while some research does link certain genetic conditions to it, my sister did not have those genetic conditions nor did she have the type of SCAD related to those genetic conditions. The only 'risk factor' she had was having given birth 15 months prior. SCAD is the #1 cause of heart attacks in young women and often young women's symptoms are dismissed as being panic attacks (causing them to die, which my sister would have if she had not already happened to be AT the hospital when it happened). 

Sorry for the thread drift everyone. :/ 

@coffeebean7: Thanks for your post. You said it better than I could. Body and mind are extremely linked.

Watching that birth video was a bad idea, and I'll probably never get the image of that baby dangling out of my head :my_sick: but  seeing that gives me even more of a reason to be Childfree. 

I am so pissed off at these two right now. It's bad enough that they've been asking money for months, from people likely less fortunate than them, so that they can convert christians to christianity, despite having two paychecks (one from TLC, one from SOS). Now they're asking so can live rent free in a mansion owned by Jill's dad while they don't work? What the hell is wrong with them? How can they possibly be justifying this to themselves? This is actually a serious question. Anyone have any ideas?

11 hours ago, Georgiana said:

You know, I don't think Sweet Jilly Muffin has any idea how she comes off or how to be likable.  I think that since she was always the favored Duggar daughter and JB's little princess, that she sort of bullied or forced people to like her.  I don't mean overtly or aggressively, but in more of a Regina George/Mean Girl/Popular Girl "you have to like me/be my friend/cater to me OR ELSE" sort of way. Then add to that celebrity and instant pregnancy, and I think she started to feel ENTITLED to special treatment, fawning, and support.

I don't think that's working out for her as an adult.  I don't think she has many real friends down in Scary America.  I don't think she understands WHY people dislike her and Derick.  I don't think she understands why when she comes back to Arkansas, her sisters aren't fully willing to let her slide back into her old role as Queen.  

I think she's isolated and afraid and unable to critically examine the role HER behavior plays in her situation.    I think that Jill, possibly the most out of all the Duggar girls, really needs therapy to process her past and start functioning like a semi-adult.  

Excellent analysis. Jill needs a lot of therapy yet I have a really hard time imagining a therapist that could effectively reach her simply because I don't think she is fully capable on admitting the role of her parents/religion in royally fucking her up. 

7 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

Well, you can have  hard time believing it but please don't be so dismissive about it.  Many local doctors at some of the best hospitals in the country, plus the doctors she flew to meet with as part of a study she participated in at the Mayo Clinic, would disagree with you.

Maybe I should have phrased my post better. When I said I had an extremely hard time believing it, I didn't mean that I thought you must be lying or deluded because it was completely impossible. I meant that I'm pretty confident that it's an extremely unlikely scenario, so with only the information '27-year-old healthy woman with no underlying condition had heart attack' I'm going to assume that in 9 cases out of 10, either she didn't have a heart attack or there was some underlying condition. But I wasn't casting a judgement on your sister's situation in particular, because I knew nothing about it.

I think most people (including most doctors) would have to agree that it's very rare - otherwise you'd have healthy young people dropping dead left and right. I would imagine it's even rarer for a teenage girl who had never given birth and was otherwise healthy to have a stroke. But there may have been underlying risk factors (obesity, hormonal birth control plus genetic predisposition, etc.) that we don't know about.

I used to process all the sudden death police reports for my city. Basically anytime someone died unexpectedly at home (or more rarely, somewhere else) the police would have to attend and do a report, even if it was a 98-year-old woman. I did this job for a year, and I can tell you that I never once read a report where a healthy young woman died of a heart attack. Again, I'm not saying it never happens. But it's definitely uncommon.

I'm sorry if my post offended you. I hope your sister had a full recovery and is enjoying good health now.

@singsingsingJust to pop in briefly, if you're interested then here's a link to information about SCAD:

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20170130/scad-heart-attacks

SCAD affects mostly young women and, often, they don't appear to have any other classic heart attack risk factors. Age range seems to be from late teens to the 80s, but the average age is around 42.

10 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I am so pissed off at these two right now. It's bad enough that they've been asking money for months, from people likely less fortunate than them, so that they can convert christians to christianity, despite having two paychecks (one from TLC, one from SOS). Now they're asking so can live rent free in a mansion owned by Jill's dad while they don't work? What the hell is wrong with them? How can they possibly be justifying this to themselves? This is actually a serious question. Anyone have any ideas?

How I imagine they justify their grifting to themselves is that, they feel they are just opening up avenues to gain God's blessings for the work they do for God (faux missonary stuff).Looking at it from Jill and Derick's perspective, they see themselves as actual missionaries following a calling that God has placed on their lives. Thus, they expect God's provision through donations as his reward for their sacrifice (risking their lives as they have previously  put it ) in spreading the gospel and saving the sinners in oh so dangerous ScaryAmerica. I imagine they feel entitled to donations and see nothing wrong with asking for them as they feel they are doing good work in Central America.

Of course, I don't support what they are doing since I don't see them actually helping the locals in ways I feel real missionaries would. This is Just my two sense on how i think  they internally justify the shameless begging.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

They start the blog post out by discussing smelly foreigners? For real? 

It's very J-Rod. Although she forgot to mention that the people weren't just smelly, but also unlovely. :my_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

They start the blog post out by discussing smelly foreigners? For real? 

But....once they have been "saved" they will smell better. Of course. 

17 hours ago, Incognito22 said:

I'd pay money to watch Jessa let her have it!

Snitches get stitches.

I have to give Jill some credit for correctly using illustrative language. I find that impressive so I'm going to give her a point for it in spite of the fact that the description was a gross one. SOTDRT gets a tiny cookie.

On May 9, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Georgiana said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The aroma of sweaty kids and stinky feet still lingers in the hospitality house (the place where we are living while we are here working on the mission field in Central America) a couple hours after everyone has gone, but we all had a wonderful time playing and enjoying refreshments together.

Although we try to make the hospitality house as inviting and comfortable as possible to those who may visit, we don’t easily forget the violence and hardships in our area that remind us of the reason we are here, to preach the gospel, encourage the church, and be the hands and feet of Jesus to a hurting world. 

We had the privilege of having some of our friends, who have been going through a really difficult time, into our home this week for an American meal. They lost their grandma a few weeks ago, then 8 days later their 20-year-old cousin was brutally murdered as she was selling coconuts at a roadside stand. When our friend’s teenage daughter received the news, she immediately had a stroke! They continue to live in fear of being kidnapped or killed and now seldom leave their home. 

Twice this week, one of the ladies from church and I (Jill) were able to meet here in the house with a young momma whose husband recently left her with two children, one of whom has special needs. We were able to bless her with dinner, encouraging fellowship, and some gifts sent down by friends in the States. I look forward to continuing to reach out to her and let our little ones play together.

Derick has continued to preach once a week and Israel and I have enjoyed being involved in special music for several of those church services. A sweet girl on the last short-term missions team gifted me with a violin when she left. She said she bought a cheap one to bring on the trip and wanted to leave it with me once she found out I played violin and wasn't able to bring mine down here.

Please continue to pray with us for:

-Continued financial support as we still need to raise additional support for the rest of our time here on the field as well as the time we will be home surrounding the birth of our second little boy due in early July. Thank you to those of you who are supporting us already! (Donate online: www.dillardfamily.com)

-Continued health. We have been dealing with seasonal allergies as the shift from “dry season” to “rainy season” is beginning.

-That hearts would be softened to the gospel and Christians would continue to grow in their relationship with Jesus. 

-Those who are facing difficult situations, that God would give us wisdom in how to best reach out to them. 

-The young momma who is still awaiting a call to the hospital for brain surgery. 

Praises: 

-We are very encouraged to see the local church growing and follow-up happening weekly as the local church and ministry we work with brought on another pastor several months ago who is able to focus more on evangelism and discipleship. 

-We continue to reach out to the local youth in whatever ways we can and enjoyed having several guys into our home for dinner last Sunday after a game of soccer on the sport court that the ministry we work with built. We look forward to continuing this outreach. 

-Velma has come to church multiple times recently and we have visited their home and delivered homemade baked goods a couple times since the first visit. Keep praying for her!

There's the blog entry for those of you who don't want to give them click$.

Edit: have we discussed this logo before?  It looks like a satirical riff on mid-century family comedies.  HEAVY on the satirical.  I'm 90% sure 7/10 of the diners near me used the same graphic designer/font.  It'd be hilarious if they were joking, but since they're serious...it's rather awkward and kitsch. 

2017-05-09 15_17_21-Dillard Family Blog - The Dillard Family.png

I'm going to give them props for not improperly sticking an apostrophe in there ("The Dillard's").  Gah that drives me nuts when people do it.  Not sure if the Dillards themselves were smart enough to get the grammar right but at least they listened to their editor.

13 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I'm going to give them props for not improperly sticking an apostrophe in there ("The Dillard's").  Gah that drives me nuts when people do it.  Not sure if the Dillards themselves were smart enough to get the grammar right but at least they listened to their editor.

YASSSSSS! Apostrophes are for possessive, not plural! Huge pet peeve. 

On 5/10/2017 at 10:06 PM, TuringMachine said:

JILL learned grifting from the BEST. 

Derick is clearly a quick learner.

I'm pretty blown away by the level of grifting Jill and Derick are doing. In the beginning, I thought they were getting so much handed to them such as that gorgeous home and beautiful things for themselves and their baby on the way. But at least back then...Derick actually worked. Now to see that they are expecting the fantasy life to continue PLUS no employment PLUS more children just makes me angry. Then we see Jana on an episode of Counting On wanting to update the mansion for when King and Queen Dillard come home. As if it wasn't perfect to begin with. WHY are they so special? Doesn't this new generation of Duggar adults realize that *someone* has to work? 

19 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I'm pretty blown away by the level of grifting Jill and Derick are doing. In the beginning, I thought they were getting so much handed to them such as that gorgeous home and beautiful things for themselves and their baby on the way. But at least back then...Derick actually worked. Now to see that they are expecting the fantasy life to continue PLUS no employment PLUS more children just makes me angry. Then we see Jana on an episode of Counting On wanting to update the mansion for when King and Queen Dillard come home. As if it wasn't perfect to begin with. WHY are they so special? Doesn't this new generation of Duggar adults realize that *someone* has to work? 

I don't understand........what is this "work"? Are you referring to baking banana bread?

16 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I don't understand........what is this "work"? Are you referring to baking banana bread?

Or scaring the locals into giving up Catholicism in terrible Spanish.

Didn't JB say somewhere that what he looked for in spouses for his children was that they have a ministry mindset? Or a heart for ministry? So far he's gone across the board that way for in laws. Ben's in seminary, Jeremy's a pastor, Derrick's a missionary, Austin is involved in the family camp business at Fort Rock, etc. Anna comes from a family that does similar with her father at the helm in prison ministry. Kendra's their pastor's daughter. It seems like literally none of them have a secular job because that must be undesirable to them?

When I was sucked into the fundie life it was interesting to me how there seemed to be two different sets of people - the folks in ministry and the folks in the congregation who worked real jobs and funded the ministry. Those ministry folks needed all the donations all the grifting, more more more to keep going. The pastor of the church we were going to had nicer things in comparison to the rest of the congregation (minus us, everyone else seemed to barely be breaking even, including a friend I made who I saw going by the bank often to take out large sums of money for tithing). 

Not long after we stopped going, the pastor and his wife abruptly announced that God had called them to save souls in Pasadena (we were living in rural Georgia at the time) and that they had given the congregation to another local fundie church. That pastor and his wife sold their house and their van and bought an RV to go on deputation to raise money to go church plant in Pasadena. Until then I'd never heard of deputation. The people in the congregation I'd kept in touch with seemed to struggle with the natural urge to be upset and annoyed at essentially being abandoned versus trying to praise the pastor for being faithful to God's call. My husband and I always thought it was monetarily related because the pastor and his wife weren't growing the church well enough to keep paying the bills so they had to get out and go somewhere more lucrative/start over. 

I say all that to say this - the ministry folks have to have checks/grift from the real people of the world to keep going. That's why there's so much grifting and gifting and begging from these professional fundies while it seems like they're doing mostly nothing. It's pretty irritating when you step out of the fog and realize that these people are essentially leeching from their loyal congregants. Related: I haven't even read Zsu's post yet, but just the bits and pieces y'all have shared over in the other subforum were pretty irritating. "Just keep keeping us up and don't bother us for anything or get too close to us - we are the spiritually superior elite who suck the life out of serve you." 

Wait, church planting in Pasadena? As someone who is in Pasadena nearly every week, I can confirm there are a million churches in the area. Why Pasadena of all places? Do they understand how expensive it is to live there? Did they decide to move there after seeing the Rose Parade on a sunny New Year's Day? I find this fascinating. How do they choose where to plant? I am see choosing a wealthier area because of the potential of more money but I would think it would be hard to draw in the wealthy. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived