IGNORED

Dillards 29 - Teaching Them to Make Piñatas

choralcrusader8613

14 minutes ago, Elvis Presby said:

This seemed to be true for me.  I gained a crazy lot of weight with my first.  She was 8 lbs 12 oz.  My 3rd was 8 lbs 11 oz and I only gained 18 lbs.  #2 was 8 lbs 2 oz, but she was 17 days late.  #4 was 5 lbs 10 oz, but he was a 35 weeker.  My weight gain was different every time, but my babies all seemed to be about the same size.

My nephew was four days early and weighed 8.5 pounds. My daughter was born at 34w2d and was exactly 5 pounds and 19 inches long. Had she cooked the full amount of time she would have been at least 8.5 pounds - though my Doctors were convinced she would have been in the 9 pound range... which is kind of ridiculous for a baby girl. My Doctors said it's much more common to see baby boys hit that weight range.

I tried to eat healthy and exercise throughout the pregnancy. I think I gained around 20 pounds by the time labor started. So her size was probably due to genetics.

(My Doctors explained that the baby really only takes what they need nutrient wise. So even if you eat too much and gain too much weight it doesn't always really impact the baby's size.)

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's really interesting, my sister was the smallest baby with average weight gain while me and my twin were average for a single birth (6 lbs, 8 oz & 7 lbs, 5oz). My mom said beginning with us her doctor said she needed to up her pounds and then she ended up gaining too much, which I thought helped cause we were overdue (almost 42 weeks).

My daughter and son (1st and 3rd babies) were 37 and 38.5 weeks respectively and both came in at 6lb 13oz, 21 inches long. My middle daughter was born at 35 weeks 6 days and was 7lbs 7 oz and 19 inches long, with some seriously broad shoulders. Doc said if she'd  gone full term she'd have been 10+ lbs.  No gestational diabetes or anything, she's just a solid kid. My diet was the same all 3 times, but with my middle daughter I was on bedrest from 20 weeks onward.  Weight gain was the same across the board. I think it just varies. 

I just hope Jill doesn't do something risky and stupid again with this delivery. 

11 hours ago, BadMammaJana said:

I totally had to look up what a conker was, haha. I've never heard of them until now. I'm also guessing mossies are mosquitos? 

Ah, yes they are - sorry.

Wasn't sure if conkers travel, then thought 'surely kids threading them on strings and trying to knock each other's eyes out isn't just a British thing'. - thinking about it though, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Bates/Duggar kid playing conkers. Though that's surely less about safety and more about not engaging with such scary things as the natural world and ebil science.

In our last flat we had many huge, thick, ugly and hairy spiders. There were several occasions when Mr. S. could proove his qualities as a modern prince. I learned to get used to these creatures when we got an old carpet from one of his aunts. It did fit perfectly in our corridor and must have had some anti-insect-something in its ends, maybe against moths. Spiders came two or three centimeters on our carpet and died really fast and layed there all crinkled. After I got used to these dead bodies I learned not to get hysteric when I saw them alive. I even got brave enough to put a cup over them, but I had  to wait for mr. S. to take them out. Step by step, you know?

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Had she cooked the full amount of time she would have been at least 8.5 pounds - though my Doctors were convinced she would have been in the 9 pound range... which is kind of ridiculous for a baby girl. My Doctors said it's much more common to see baby boys hit that weight range.

I am a girl and I was 9 lbs 1 oz. My mom had to be induced two weeks after her due date, which I'm sure is part of why I was large. 

Then my brother, who was also two weeks late, was like 10.5 lbs. My poor mother. :pb_surprised: She had both of us vaginally, though I'm pretty sure she had an epidural both times.

I was 5lbs 12 oz and my brother was 6 pounds exactly. 

I was almost a 10 pounder (9 pounds 15 ounces, to be exact). No gestational diabetes either, my mom just has big babies (my older brother was 9 pounds and 8 ounces). We were also both late (my brother exactly a week; I was 10 days late). My poor mom! And since it seems to be genetic, I'm kind of scared to ever have biological kids. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, zygote373 said:

I am a girl and I was 9 lbs 1 oz. My mom had to be induced two weeks after her due date, which I'm sure is part of why I was large. 

Then my brother, who was also two weeks late, was like 10.5 lbs. My poor mother. :pb_surprised: She had both of us vaginally, though I'm pretty sure she had an epidural both times.

All of my mom's babies were right on time. I was her smallest at 9 lbs, my sister was 10 lbs 4 oz, and my brother was 11 lbs and some change. No epidurals, two hour deliveries, and she wanted to know why she couldn't just drive back home right after she was done having the baby.  She was also ridiculously fertile, according to her doctor, into her fifties. If she'd been Quiverfull we would have left Michelle Duggar in the dust. It's kind of scary to think about.

I think I'm in luck for baby size genetics. My brother and I were both full term (maybe a few days early?). My brother was about 7lb 11oz and "21 or so" inches long (according to my mother). I was about 6lbs 8oz and 18 inches long.

I was 6 lbs 4 oz and my brother was 10 lbs 6 oz ( he was an entire month late!)

My babes were 7lbs 8 oz, 6lbs even, 8 lbs 6 oz, and my micro premie was 1 lb 4 oz.

35 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I think I'm in luck for baby size genetics. My brother and I were both full term (maybe a few days early?). My brother was about 7lb 11oz and "21 or so" inches long (according to my mother). I was about 6lbs 8oz and 18 inches long.

I thought the same as my mom had 5 kids, all 8 lbs or less (I was only a 5 pounder). All of my 5 kids weighed between 9.5 and 10.5 lbs. imagine my surprise when, while pregnant with my second and measuring large, my MIL informs me that her son weighed 12 lbs at birth. No gestational diabetes. Not overdue. Her other two kids were about 10lbs as well. My dr said I just managed to marry into some horrible birthing genes. Lots of funny stories about each of my births. I managed 2 of them vaginally with no drugs. (They were both VBACs too, so it can be done, but with much trepidation and lots of Dr.s monitoring). I now contend that my daughters should definitely ask birth size when considering finding a mate...

So I'm wondering about Jill and the upcoming birth. I know she probably wants to do a VBAC and home birth. How does that work in the home birth world? My friend is having trouble finding a doctor at a hospital to let her do a VBAC. Do midwives even attempt it?

@Elvis Presby,  I had a similar experience with my babies:  My first was 9 lbs 51/2 ounces and I gained 47 pounds, my second was 9lbs 1 1/2 ounces (gained 35 pounds that time IIRC) and my third was 8 lbs 13 12/ ounces.  My doctor idd remark that I'd probably not have a problem with delivering vaginally an 8 pound baby.  My fourth was 900 grams which is just 7 grams short of 2 pounds. She was born around 26 weeks though and was actually big for her gestational age.  My fifth and last baby was 8 pounds even and yes, she was a vaginal delivery.  I was a gestational diabetic with this pregnancy and had controlled my diabetes well with diet.

I was 9lbs, 13oz (10lbs had I not pooped on the way to the scale) after an emergency C-section. Think the Jill situation, except my parents went to a scheduled hospital visit to deliver me and found out there. My mom was all ready for her routine vaginal birth, only to push and push and push and...have me not come out because I was too big. Two years later they induced my brother slightly early for fear that it would happen again (he was somewhere around 8lbs).

28 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

So I'm wondering about Jill and the upcoming birth. I know she probably wants to do a VBAC and home birth. How does that work in the home birth world? My friend is having trouble finding a doctor at a hospital to let her do a VBAC. Do midwives even attempt it?

Not the smart ones.

55 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

A friend recently attempted a VBAC for her second child, and her uterus ruptured mid-delivery. The baby was just sitting outside of her uterus in her abdominal cavity. She and the baby almost died, even with immediate medical intervention to finish delivering the baby via C section.

So...midwives absolutely should not attempt it outside of a hospital setting.

WE'LL SEE.

First daughter was seven lbs. even 19 inches. She was two days early. Second daughter 7 lbs 19 1/2 inches. She was two days late.

19 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My nephew was four days early and weighed 8.5 pounds. My daughter was born at 34w2d and was exactly 5 pounds and 19 inches long. Had she cooked the full amount of time she would have been at least 8.5 pounds - though my Doctors were convinced she would have been in the 9 pound range... which is kind of ridiculous for a baby girl. My Doctors said it's much more common to see baby boys hit that weight range.

I tried to eat healthy and exercise throughout the pregnancy. I think I gained around 20 pounds by the time labor started. So her size was probably due to genetics.

(My Doctors explained that the baby really only takes what they need nutrient wise. So even if you eat too much and gain too much weight it doesn't always really impact the baby's size.)

My 3rd is a boy and he was born a week early.  If he went that extra week, he for sure would have been a 9 pounder.  His sturdy size really helped him out.  He has Tetralogy of Fallot and him being such a chunker made it somewhat less dangerous when he needed his OHS.

1 hour ago, Elvis Presby said:

My 3rd is a boy and he was born a week early.  If he went that extra week, he for sure would have been a 9 pounder.  His sturdy size really helped him out.  He has Tetralogy of Fallot and him being such a chunker made it somewhat less dangerous when he needed his OHS.

That must have been so scary for you guys!!! I'm guessing he did ok in his surgery? How's he doing now?

@Elvis Presby,  I hope your son is doing fine now.  It's scary for a newborn to require surgery.  My premie had a patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) and had surgery at 2 weeks.  The procedure she had is considered OHS, but it is way less complicated that your son's surgery.  One of the residents who cared for her told us that he always dreaded coming into work in the first few days post-op as she was so fragile.  Dr Washburn was afraid she might have died overnight. 

I think I have told this story before.

My first was nearly 3 weeks late- a girl and 7-5...I gained 15 lbs

My second was 2 weeks late-a boy and 7-6...I gained~ 25 lbs. 

Almost 10 extra pounds for 1 oz of baby. NOOOOOOOOOOO bueno.

My daughter's baby was 2 weeks late- a girl and 8-5...she gained 15 lbs.

8 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Because Jill already had a c-section Arkansas law forbids a midwife from doing a home birth. She can VBAC in a hospital with a midwife but overseen by an OB. But it seems the general thought is that Jill will pull an intentional "oops, we didn't leave on time so we had to deliver at home" even if that's not the truth. Stupid but Jill didn't show much sense with Izzy's birth so....

2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Because Jill already had a c-section Arkansas law forbids a midwife from doing a home birth. She can VBAC in a hospital with a midwife but overseen by an OB. But it seems the general thought is that Jill will pull an intentional "oops, we didn't leave on time so we had to deliver at home" even if that's not the truth. Stupid but Jill didn't show much sense with Izzy's birth so....

There are a few ways Jill can still give birth at home legally. She could have a homebirth without a midwife, just have someone attend her, but have Derick actually 'catch' the baby. She could easily drive to Missouri or Oklahoma and give birth there in a mdiwife's home there.  and there are some unlicensed midwives that will do the birth, illegal or not.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived