IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

Henry looks a little more happy in his two month picture! :P 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading Goodnight Mr Tom ATM, a great wee read.  I've just got to the bit when Tom brings Will back from London. 

@jas His Dark Materials! I read these as an adult - several times - and got more from them each time.(Note - must reread.) They are so dense that I do sometimes wonder how much the intended adolescent audience 'gets' all the layers - but absolutely brilliant books. I had them shipped to me in Thailand as I'd left my copies with all my other books to be sold in the UK - cost me over $80... but I couldn't not have them.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Henry looks a little more happy in his two month picture! :P 

He looks like a slightly more swarthy Israel to me.

Ben's little brother with Henry. Can't for the life of me remember his name.

14 hours ago, bekkah said:

I just have to say spurgie is quite cute. They do make beautiful babies. I hope Jessa will have all boys though :5624796c41285_DastardlyEviledevil:

I hope all the girls have at least six boys before they have a girl.  Maybe they would stop?  Maybe all boys would be best period. 

Not that I think this particular brand of religion is good or even ok for men.  Do any of you have sons who see their whole purpose as being to sire children?  Surely both sexes are entitled to a loving, fun, relationship that includes just enjoying your partner with no agenda. 

8 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Ben's little brother with Henry. Can't for the life of me remember his name.

Tommy Jack. I think he's about 7 or 8 now. 

Jessa has a modesty speaking engagement in Heavenly Highway Tabernacle in June.  The church has been sent letters questioning why they would have her considering her families issues with sexual abuse and Josh scandal. Both advertising pages have been removed due to an influx of posts and email.

It's called proverbs 31 conference Jessa is the keynote speaker on modesty.

I wouldn't think that smuggars actions would negatively affect Jessa's modesty speaking engagement. 

ETA: My brother is a dick but his foolishness shouldn't effect my job offers,  right? 

5 minutes ago, Pasta said:

I wouldn't think that smuggars actions would negatively affect Jessa's modesty speaking engagement. 

I agree.  I would think that the issue would be that Jessa doesn't strike me as being particularly modest.

2 minutes ago, Pasta said:

My take is yes it absolutely should. Despite dressing modestly Josh molested his siblings. Despite his wife kids, and family, Josh broke all his vows and cheated despite growing up modestly. I call that a Huge Failure  with that teaching and lifestyle. Jimbob said on Meghan Kelly molesting and sexual abuse is common in their circles.  Modesty in all its repugnant suppressive  rules is a massive fail proving modesty does not work.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:28 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I hear you. #4 here too and no baby pics.

Hubby is baby #3 and only a handful of photos of him from birth to when we married and he was 34.  My DD has significantly less pics than her big brother, simply due to lack of time on my part, but they were both hams, and both loved getting pictures taken. 

17 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

My take is yes it absolutely should. Despite dressing modestly Josh molested his siblings. Despite his wife kids, and family, Josh broke all his vows and cheated despite growing up modestly. I call that a Huge Failure  with that teaching and lifestyle. Jimbob said on Meghan Kelly molesting and sexual abuse is common in their circles.  Modesty in all its repugnant suppressive  rules is a massive fail proving modesty does not work.

This bothers me. 

Sounds a bit like a back handed victim blaming statement. 

53 minutes ago, Pasta said:

ETA: My brother is a dick but his foolishness shouldn't effect my job offers,  right? 

I think it affects her because how she reacted on tv with megan kelly. 

her parents should be getting the letters. 

it can effect how she provides for her family if she proclaims like Jill did about what she will do to prevent

do i make ever sense

19 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

no

she is trying to make a profit of what she believes

that is jessa doing her brand

as for the victim blaming - she has moved on - but at the same - do we believe she interacts with josh off camera

who the hell knows.

42 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

My take is yes it absolutely should. Despite dressing modestly Josh molested his siblings. Despite his wife kids, and family, Josh broke all his vows and cheated despite growing up modestly. I call that a Huge Failure  with that teaching and lifestyle\

Blame Jessa for her own actions, don't blame her for Josh's. If you want to say that Jessa shouldn't be a speaker because of how she spoke to Megan Kelly about the molestation, that's a good reason. 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Blame Jessa for her own actions, don't blame her for Josh's. If you want to say that Jessa shouldn't be a speaker because of how she spoke to Megan Kelly about the molestation, that's a good reason. 

yes 100% blame jessa for naming her son spurgeon, blame her for the bangs, blame her for taste in furniture.

but don't blame her for josh. 

jessa should not be on Megan Kelley's new talk show period

11 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Oh well it wasn't meant that way. I would never do that. I was a victim of sexual abuse , by multiple men procured by my mother.  I would never blame a victim.  I should clarify. Despite all the efforts to protect their daughters and  to dress "modestly"  it is a landslide failure .  The Duggars themselves are a poster family for that failure. Despite all of their biblical standards , men still find a way to violate women and girls.  The problem is inherently the problem of the male. No amount of cloth or padding is going to  prevent them from getting what they want.  Besides the dictionary version of modest is in a nutshell is about humility. It has nothing to do with anything sexual.  In fact that whole passage in Ephesians they use to promote modesty is completely taken out of context. In the original passage it refers to not dressing garishly, outrageously gaudy , keeping up with the latest expensive attire of the time to worship God.  It has nothing to do with sexuality. It is telling the women to knock it off stop trying to out do each other and keep it modest( humility).    So ironically, Gothard telling women to bring attention to their  countenance inadvertently drawing attention to their face , hair and beauty is actually the opposite of modesty and humilty.  Jessa being the vainest  of them all. 

People, don't misunderstand me. Jessa is not responsible for Joshes behaviour. You say I should blame the parents. Jessa is a second generation who is indeed responsible for herself promoting women to dress as she was herself forced to dress. She is grown and has a choice NOT to follow this modesty pattern. Yet she is choosing to do so and choosing to lead other young girls down the garden path despite  it being a major fail in her immediate family.  She is going to promote a whole new younger generation to be " responsible " not to draw in the lust of men. Thus teaching them women are responsible for men's sexual behaviour.  She has not turned her back on her parents ( Gothards) teaching. She has never distanced herself from Gothard and his teachings despite the author is in litigation for sexual abuse and harassment. She is an adult who is  going around the country promoting a false doctrine of women's suppression so yes she is responsible. She did not make  Josh do what he did, but she is responsible for promoting this to the next generation  inspite of it not  stopping  men in their circles from keeping men's  hands off the girls in their midst.  Proving all of this modesty talk  is void, it does  nothing to stop men from doing what they want.

Jessa should not be punished for Josh's behavior.

She absolutely should face consequences for her defense of that behavior and her public response to the situation.  

There's nothing unreasonable about not wanting your daughters to look up to Jessa due to things she has said to the media.  I certainly would not want my niece to think that some of the things Jessa has said are OK, and until she retracts those statements, I wouldn't be in favor of supporting her speaking career.  

So are the congregants against the message or just against Jessa delivering the message?  It sounds like they're just against her.

46 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

So are the congregants against the message or just against Jessa delivering the message?  It sounds like they're just against her.

The congregants were not opposed . Regular folks found the link, and caused an uproar to shut it down. Last night people were all over the page. Calling Jessa out on her not modest pregnancy attire. Her vain selfies. And how she addressed the molesting scandal on TV. It was an interesting circus. The heat was too much and they shut down both advertisements.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived