IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

@laPapessaGiovanna  I would stare at that illustration for hours, it looks gorgeous! :) 

Oh yes that book has some gorgeous illustrations. 

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

@laPapessaGiovanna that illustration seems familiar which book is? i reed some italian bookd bout the uman body when i was like 8-9 and it was very helpfull i sill remember a lot of scientific things about the uman body and how it work thanks to taht books. Plus everything on wich i could put my end usually adventure series 

Actually it's an American book translated into Italian, "Into the land of the unicorns" by Bruce Coville. I never read it, my mother bought it as a gift for my sister when I wasn't interested to unicorns anymore (not that I was ever much interested but according to the date on the inscription I was 15 when mom bought it, I had different interests at the time), I have it because I am the family's bookworm and books hoarder. This is the illustration she was looking at 

Spoiler

20170403_002758.jpg

I loved scientific books for children, mines should be somewhere in the attic. I bought her some science for kids books but mainly about dinosaurs, fossils, the earth, plants and animals, electricity, she also has a very ebil one about evolution (seriously before my FJ time I would never have believed that someone could consider creationism as based in reality, must have been all those years of public school in a mainly Catholic country).

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys!!!! kitty-cussing.gif

i saw this thread had jumped six pages in a couple of days and I got all excited! "What's happened now...Jessa SURELY can't be pregnant again already? Maybe Ben got a job? Or they've moved? Or..."

Y'all owe me some chocolate my_dodgy.png

Same here. Lol

So, does anyone else remember the Honey Bunch and Norman books? I had the one in small town, when they were around LA with a bunch of little people, and a couple of others. I think they may have been contemporaries of The Bobsey Twins. My Great Grandma found them for me at a garage sale, probably close to 40 years ago. 

I was also wondering- did anyone else really get into the Childhood of Famous Americans series? Their titles would be something like Babe Didrikson: Girl Athlete or Tom Edison: Boy Inventer. I also read all of these I could get my hands on.

4 hours ago, VixenToast said:

Dear America/Royal Diaries?

RD had stuff like Cleopatra, daughter of the Nile; Elizabeth, Red Rose of the House of Tudor, Eleanor (shit I'm drawing a blank here, and yes this is all from memory, lol. E. of Aquitaine.)

Then Lowell factory... Dear America, Diary of the Irish Chick?

I looked it up. It's the Sunfire series. Those look good too!

2 hours ago, Tryamon said:
  Hide contents

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

My nieces love to read. It makes me want to buy so many books for them like my Dad did for me. 

I'm the Auntie or that person who buys books for baby showers, or birthday parties. Most people buy toys at birthdays or holidays, I buy reading books, workbooks for older preschool age kids, flash cards stuff like that.  The parents normally appreciate it because it isn't another toy that will get played with for a few minutes and tossed aside. 

I also loved the BSC books! I read a few Sweet Valley High but BSC was definitely among my faves when I was younger.

Was anyone else a fan of the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor? Not the Go Ask Alice book lol this was a series that followed a girl whose mother died and she lived with her dad and brother. I liked it, in part, because we kind of "grew up" together, at least during the middle school/high school years - I ink the first books were written much earlier.

1 minute ago, Londish said:

I also loved the BSC books! I read a few Sweet Valley High but BSC was definitely among my faves when I was younger.

Was anyone else a fan of the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor? Not the Go Ask Alice book lol this was a series that followed a girl whose mother died and she lived with her dad and brother. I liked it, in part, because we kind of "grew up" together, at least during the middle school/high school years - I ink the first books were written much earlier.

I didn't read those until I was in my 20s but I LOVE them. I wish I had read them when I was little. 

Anyone else remember the Anastasia books? She had a brother named Sam and i really only remember them moving and she had a round bedroom with multiple layers of wallpaper to peel off and the bottom one was the coolest. 

19 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I didn't read those until I was in my 20s but I LOVE them. I wish I had read them when I was little. 

Anyone else remember the Anastasia books? She had a brother named Sam and i really only remember them moving and she had a round bedroom with multiple layers of wallpaper to peel off and the bottom one was the coolest. 

The Anastasia books are by Lois Lowry. They're currently being reissued.

1 minute ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The Anastasia books are by Lois Lowry. They're currently being reissued.

Thanks! Off to Amazon! 

I was also a BSC fan, who read the odd SVH, but felt they were too ridiculous. The BSC are also pretty unrealistic, but the characters are more likeable, and I always admired the entrepreneurial aspect of this series.

I LOVED Anastasia Krupnik. She seemed like the type of kid I'd probably be friends with. She was funny, clever, and creative in a literary type of a way, with a penchant for writing lists. I mostly remember the first book (where she was 10 and Sam was born at the end), but read some of the other ones too. She had some interesting hijinks. I vaguely remember her dressing like an old cleaning lady because she didn't want a 'cool' girl to see her being the hired help.

3 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I was also a BSC fan, who read the odd SVH, but felt they were too ridiculous. The BSC are also pretty unrealistic, but the characters are more likeable, and I always admired the entrepreneurial aspect of this series.

I LOVED Anastasia Krupnik. She seemed like the type of kid I'd probably be friends with. She was funny, clever, and creative in a literary type of a way, with a penchant for writing lists. I mostly remember the first book (where she was 10 and Sam was born at the end), but read some of the other ones too. She had some interesting hijinks. I vaguely remember her dressing like an old cleaning lady because she didn't want a 'cool' girl to see her being the hired help.

I haven't thought of Anastasia Krupnik in years !!!! I loved HER!!!

I remember lists and a circular room 

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm the Auntie or that person who buys books for baby showers, or birthday parties. Most people buy toys at birthdays or holidays, I buy reading books, workbooks for older preschool age kids, flash cards stuff like that.  The parents normally appreciate it because it isn't another toy that will get played with for a few minutes and tossed aside. 

Yes! This! Books and activity books hold attention the longest in my house and are easy clean up. All the expensive and gigantic plastic toys get repurposed into obstacle courses.

I have an intense love affair with books...i literally stroll around the local bookstore some days sniffing the pages...anyway...BSC(especially the mystery novels), BSC little sister  & Nancy Drew saved this  girl from so much ! I would turn down going out with friends getting into shenanigans as a young teen just because i wanted to finish my latest find. I borrowed at least 9 to 10 books a week from the library! Harry Potter goes without saying. I almost named my kid Luna & Fleur. Sweet Valley high , the hardy boys mysteries and VC Andrews made cameos. There was this other book but I can't remember the name of it. It was Anne and Georgina but she liked to be called George and some other cousins that were always solving mysteries. Now I'm about to Google hunt. 

Oh and the sleepover series ! 

And I found it ! The famous five by Enid Blyton. Man I love Google. I'm gonna order some of these for my girls ! Books were written in the 40s and 50s when literature still retained finesse.

I did some googling and discovered the identities of the 'forgotten' books I mentioned before (with descriptions from Goodreads):

The Hidden World by Alison Baird: "Maeve is disgruntled and depressed when she is sent for the summer to her aunt's house in Newfoundland while her parents try to work out problems in their marriage and careers. But she does enjoy Newfoundland's rustic charms and the closeness she feels there to her favourite grandmother, now dead. Maeve's grandmother was the author of a fantastic book about the secret world of Annwn and Maeve is delighted to discover her grandmother's diary and a beautiful Celtic brooch that was stored with it.Then something strange begins to happen, something that convinces Maeve she is leaving Newfoundland, and in no ordinary fashion. Before long, Maeve finds herself in the Hidden World, a place she is sure her grandmother has visited too, a place that is alive with magic and danger. As she struggles to help her new-found friends in Annwn and unravel the mystery of her grandmother's time there, she finds herself immersed in a world of legend, where Celtic myths, tales of the sea and the secrets of Avalon come together in a fantastic and horrifying way."

The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse: "A girl raised by dolphins must choose between two worlds in this critically acclaimed novel about what it means to be a human being."

The Puppy Sister by S. E. Hinton (! Did NOT realize this was by S. E. Hinton. Mind. Blown. Also, the other two are middle grade novels whereas this is a kids book): "Nick and his parents get more than they bargained for when their newly adopted puppy, Aleasha, decides she'll have more fun with her new "family" if she becomes human, too. So begins a laugh-out-loud adventure told from Aleasha's point of view, about her transformation from puppy to girl."

14 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I looked it up. It's the Sunfire series. Those look good too!

Yes - they are good.  I have all 32 of them. I remember my mom read them before I was allowed to since the covers made them sound a little racy by her standards. The earlier books in the series were the best ones, in my opinion.

Be aware Famous Five lovers that the books have been modernized. They now wear jeans. Don't know how they figure the swimsuit thing for George (the girl who wants to be a boy). There's some racism and   class distinction, which I never noticed as a kid. I loved them, and would read them again.

2 hours ago, Minionmayhem said:

Yes! This! Books and activity books hold attention the longest in my house and are easy clean up. All the expensive and gigantic plastic toys get repurposed into obstacle courses.

It did for my kids too,  I was a SAHM for almost 10 years, I loved to read to my kids and they loved to be read too, we had to split up bedtime story duty at night because each one wanted read to for so long and they wouldn't settle if we read to them together, it was nice cuz it gave each of us a little one on one time every other night with one child. I did "preschool" activities with the kids for a little 10 to 15 minutes a day almost every day some days more depending on weather. The older my kids got the more fun they had with them.  My daughter taught herself to write in cursive in 1st grade because she wanted to, I had a dry erase book she could practice on and she did. This stuff was wonderful and they enjoyed it a lot when they were in lower elementary before school became a drag. 

Never heard of the Sunfire series. I just looked it up. So who wants to send me all of their old copies since the books are out of print? ;)

On 3/27/2017 at 7:57 PM, Hmmm_idolatry said:

Oooh....she's drinking Kombucha?  She does realize that it's basically alcohol, right?  https://www.bustle.com/articles/31353-yup-those-gts-kombucha-drinks-are-alcoholic-and-theyre-not-the-only-ones

That article seems to be stretching things a bit.  The Kombucha I had with lunch had 0.3% alcohol, compared with the wine I had last night that had 14%.  I don't know if I'd say it's "basically alcohol" (but the Duggars probably would!).  I mean a lot of things have alcohol.  Vanilla extract is 35%...

@Audrey2  I read the Honey Bunch books and have a large number of the books in the set stored in my attic.  A friend of my mom's gave me all her childhood books as she had no girls of her own.    I should see if my granddaughters want to read them.  Were the books you read the originals or was that series updated at some time?  My mom's friend was born in 1920--I got the books in the 1050's.  After reading the thread on the first news story remembered, I realized I am one of the oldest posters on here!!

@abbylabby1, mine were the later version that apparently came out during the 50's or so, Honeybunch and Norman. I looked them up after I posted. Apparently, the Honeybunch books were originally released in the late 1920's, then updated in the 40's. They were redone again in the 50's/60's, possibly changed, and titled Honeybunch and Norman.

@DugFan,  they do make fake vanilla extract for those of the temperance persuasion who will not touch anything alcoholic, not even a teaspoon of vanilla extract distributed over a whole batch of cookies or in an entire pound cake.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived