IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

10 hours ago, Flossie said:

I don't think I'll ever get the idea of skin tight maternity tops, though.

I was pregnant last year and wore fitted maternity styles throughout my pregnancy. It was more flattering and helped me feel like myself more than the tent-like shirts and dresses my mom's generation favored.

Plus, I miscarried right before my successful pregnancy. I never had the chance to enjoy having a bump that time since I lost the pregnancy so early. I was super proud of my big belly and I wanted to show it off while I could - fitted clothes gave me that chance.

50 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Best day ever! Do you think Sierra knows what good cupcakes look like now? Or even decent cupcakes? :P

No and no. :pb_lol:

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did meet Chip and Joanne Gaines apparently. 

4 minutes ago, nst said:

I love the fact that Sierra know what good cupcakes taste and look like. 

And bonus she gets paid to be filmed. 

If she knows what good cupcakes are, she should be well ashamed for selling that mush in a jar. :P My cat could make better cupcakes! 

I don't get that they met the Gaines. Just that they felt their "holiness" as they bought cupcakes. I like the show and am not paying atttention to what they believe, cause I enjoy the show. 

I think Chip and Joanna might have been actually WORKING and were not there. They don't work in the stores all the time so might not have been there. I enjoy much of HGTV. Love the new show "Hometown". Love the old houses in Laurel, Mississippi. 

4 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I don't get that they met the Gaines. Just that they felt their "holiness" as they bought cupcakes. I like the show and am not paying atttention to what they believe, cause I enjoy the show. 

I think Chip and Joanna might have been actually WORKING and were not there. They don't work in the stores all the time so might not have been there. I enjoy much of HGTV. Love the new show "Hometown". Love the old houses in Laurel, Mississippi. 

we need to find Joanna gainses and her husband's instagram and see what they say  

what would happen if Joanna and Chip did their magic for a new house FREE for Jessa and Ben 

I follow Joanna and she hasn't uploaded anything in about a week. The last thing was a sneak peak of a show room.

15 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Personally, I haven't been able to watch their show since the news about their Pastor. I used to enjoy watching them, but knowing they attend services run by that guy ruined it for me. I can't support people like that (even though they come across as very nice and loving.)

I do, however, respect everyone's right to feel otherwise in this instance. :)

13 minutes ago, nst said:

we need to find Joanna gainses and her husband's instagram and see what they say  

what would happen if Joanna and Chip did their magic for a new house FREE for Jessa and Ben 

I doubt that would happen. The Gaineses appear to work only in the Waco area of Texas. So I just don't see it happening unless Bin got a job somewhere around there - and I don't know how likely that would be. Benessa seem relatively happy with their current arrangement - not paying rent, being paid to exist, etc. - and I don't think they're in a massive rush to change that anytime soon.

I'm not a huge Gaines fan, but I don't see the Gaines as wanting to have anything to do with the Duggars.  Not only would it be an unnecessary PR nightmare, but I don't think the Gaines really agree with the Duggars' form of Christianity.  

The Gaines are conservative Christians, but they also firmly believe in associating with the wider world, women working, appear to practice family planning, and responsible animal husbandry.  In addition, they have shown signs of NOT believing in strict gender roles (they encourage ALL their children to build skills in ALL areas) and are FIRM believers in hard work (especially for their kids).  

I don't believe we say this enough, so I'll call it out here: the bottom line is THE DUGGARS (and most people we snark on here) ARE BAD CHRISTIANS.  Despite the Gaines sharing SOME beliefs with them, I don't see the Gaines as having a desire to associate with them...in fact, I would expect them to be adverse to anything more than your standard, polite, distant fan-greeting.  

The more dedicated you are to your religion, the angrier you get with people who give it a bad name.   

6 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

They did meet Chip and Joanne Gaines apparently. 

If she knows what good cupcakes are, she should be well ashamed for selling that mush in a jar. :P My cat could make better cupcakes! 

I like she specified that SWEET people said hi, and how that was one of the many gifts...maybe there were others that weren't so sweet?

I'm now going to say something extremely controversial so hang onto your hats.

...deep breath...

I think Spurgeon's name suits him. He is a quirky, curly topped bundle of absolutely adorable cuteness and a "normal" name just wouldn't do it. He deserves something funky and off-beat and I think 'Spurgeon' works.

Phew! - I've wanted to get that off my chest for a while now :my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

55 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

...deep breath...

I think Spurgeon's name suits him. He is a quirky, curly topped bundle of absolutely adorable cuteness and a "normal" name just wouldn't do it. He deserves something funky and off-beat and I think 'Spurgeon' works.

Phew! - I've wanted to get that off my chest for a while now :my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

I actually agree that it suits him well. I did not care for it at first, but it has really grown on me. 

4 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

...deep breath...

I'm not bothered by Spurgeon so much anymore. I don't think it's the greatest name in the world but that being said, there's worst out there? 

5 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

...deep breath...

I love funky, off-beat names. But to me, Spurgeon isn't that at all. I think of Spurgeon as one of the most stuffy, uptight names I've ever heard, and that doesn't fit the little cutie pie at all, imo. To me, a name like you're describing would be something like, I don't know...off the top of my head, maybe Phoenix or Rocco or Onyx.

ETA: And I'm guessing plenty of people here would think the example names I said are worse than or at least as bad as Spurgeon and would talk shit about them too. I wouldn't use them myself but I think they're all nice enough names and sound like they could easily belong to a fun guy. Spurgeon sounds like he would be the one narcing on them for playing music at 9:01pm when the rules clearly state that quiet time starts at 9:00!

If this little guy ever decides he doesn't believe in god, unlikely as that may be, he would probably dislike his name intensely. I have thought about that with the Pennington daughters: Grace, Faith, Patience, Hope. But, before someone else says it, yes, all better than Heistheway.

2 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

If this little guy ever decides he doesn't believe in god, unlikely as that may be, he would probably dislike his name intensely. I have thought about that with the Pennington daughters: Grace, Faith, Patience, Hope. But, before someone else says it, yes, all better than Heistheway.

Robert and Kendalyn Staddon's daughter Sauntina LaVerle always makes me sad. At least if Spurgeon doesn't like Spurgeon he can go by Elliott. Sauntina is stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

During the last years I got used to a lot of strange names and name-combinations from children.  After some time I always forget that I stumbled upon the name at the beginning.  One of the worst name combinations belonged to a little girl who had a french spelled first name, an english spelled second name and a german last name. Each name was good on its own but the three together were horrible. The french spelled name could easily been spoken in an english version, that made it even more complicated. And when I thought about the girl who will have to learn how to write her name ... oh my. 

14 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

During the last years I got used to a lot of strange names and name-combinations from children.  After some time I always forget that I stumbled upon the name at the beginning.  One of the worst name combinations belonged to a little girl who had a french spelled first name, an english spelled second name and a german last name. Each name was good on its own but the three together were horrible. The french spelled name could easily been spoken in an english version, that made it even more complicated. And when I thought about the girl who will have to learn how to write her name ... oh my. 

My friend Genevieve had a similar experience with her name! And she's not even part of this new, babies-with-every-weird-ass-variation-on-name-spelling generation....my friend's 10-month-old niece is named Jenntrie Leigha, with an Italian last name....haha. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Robert and Kendalyn Staddon's daughter Sauntina LaVerle always makes me sad. At least if Spurgeon doesn't like Spurgeon he can go by Elliott. Sauntina is stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

Yes! I would love to see little spurgey grow up and decide he wants to be called Eli or Elliot or something, whether he believes in Charles Spurgeon's ideas or not :P

3 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Garce and Hope aren't bad if they decide to become atheists. Patience is bad (as a name, imo) no matter what your spiritual beliefs are. Faith is the only one that SCREAMS religous parents to me. I'm an atheist and Grace has long been our preferred middle name should we ever have a daughter ( if one decides to GRACE us with her presence :) )

9 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

...deep breath...

Based on the likes you have got, I would say many agree with you. Me personally, I think the name itself is less important than my past experiences with that name. For example, if I meet someone named Ashley and I dislike her, than the name Ashley carries a negative association afterwards. Since I have never met anyone named Spurgeon, the name itself doesn't carry such a bad connotation, even though I think it sounds ridiculous. 

But I love Spurgeon's personality, so the name is starting to grow on me. Now, when I meet another Spurgeon, I'll probably like the name more than when I first heard it, because it'll remind me of SES, who is adorable.

I work in a NICU and the things that people name their children never ceases to amaze me.  On the milder end is the huge group of Aidan/Jayden/Brayden/Cayden and all their various spellings, which is going to be fun in 5 years when all these little ones start school.  Then on the more extreme end are the straight up ridiculous names, which are so bizarre and, um, individual? that I don't even think I can post them without violating HIPAA.  Suffice it to say that many of these children will probably struggle later in life when they have to put together a resume and apply for jobs.  I also had a family friend who named his child after himself which doesn't sound like a big deal until you find out that his child is a girl. So her name is John Smith, Jr.*, God bless her.

*her name isn't really John Smith, Jr., but I obviously don't want to be posting her full legal name online.

My thing (as a person with a unique name in a different language and with parents with common english names) is that sometimes parents are like yes I want my child to have this unique name for whatever reasons, and some children you know really embrace it it while others )like myself) really struggle cause it's so simple that people over complicate it and just can't pronounce it or just bullying. I didn't really know until I was older that I could have used my middle name (a common english name). But I've gotten to the point in my adulthood life where I'm still not a fan of my unique name but I'm okay in the sense to deal with it.

Just still glad that Spurge will be homeschooled so he won't always have to feel others making fun of it.

14 hours ago, ak1188 said:

I work in a NICU and the things that people name their children never ceases to amaze me.  On the milder end is the huge group of Aidan/Jayden/Brayden/Cayden and all their various spellings, which is going to be fun in 5 years when all these little ones start school.  Then on the more extreme end are the straight up ridiculous names, which are so bizarre and, um, individual? that I don't even think I can post them without violating HIPAA.  Suffice it to say that many of these children will probably struggle later in life when they have to put together a resume and apply for jobs.  I also had a family friend who named his child after himself which doesn't sound like a big deal until you find out that his child is a girl. So her name is John Smith, Jr.*, God bless her.

*her name isn't really John Smith, Jr., but I obviously don't want to be posting her full legal name online.

My grandparents grew up in a small town,everyone knew everyone else.There was a family they knew...this was before birth control,they wanted a male child....and ended up with 6 girls...the last one...was named after her father....Robert....they called her "Bobbie" but legally her full name was Robert....so at times because of her full name,in certain situations...others assumed,because of her name,Robert,that she was a male.

I don't care for names like Blake,Madison,Riley,Whitney...for girls.I can handle Lindsey,but it can be used for males and females.The same with Ashley.Take it from a woman with a last name for a middle name...lol.I hated it.

I did not have any daughters,but I loved the name Carrie,that would not have worked with our last name.Combined with our last name..it sounds like a suitcase or a moving service.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, Georgiana said:

I'm not a huge Gaines fan, but I don't see the Gaines as wanting to have anything to do with the Duggars.  Not only would it be an unnecessary PR nightmare, but I don't think the Gaines really agree with the Duggars' form of Christianity.  

The Gaines are conservative Christians, but they also firmly believe in associating with the wider world, women working, appear to practice family planning, and responsible animal husbandry.  In addition, they have shown signs of NOT believing in strict gender roles (they encourage ALL their children to build skills in ALL areas) and are FIRM believers in hard work (especially for their kids).  

I don't believe we say this enough, so I'll call it out here: the bottom line is THE DUGGARS (and most people we snark on here) ARE BAD CHRISTIANS.  Despite the Gaines sharing SOME beliefs with them, I don't see the Gaines as having a desire to associate with them...in fact, I would expect them to be adverse to anything more than your standard, polite, distant fan-greeting.  

The more dedicated you are to your religion, the angrier you get with people who give it a bad name.   

i grew up in a regular Evangelical church in Canada. I have to differentiate here because the church I find in the states is far more conservative than anything I have seen in the church here Canada. Every evangelical church I know of has a core belief that homosexuality is a sin. Just like other sins such as adultery , murder, gossip. Etc. I do know people who struggled with it way back when I was a teen/ young adult. But even way back in the 80's I didn't find it a big deal. It has never been a big deal . One of my daughter's  friends brother just came out last year to his family and they still love and accept him  and the BF was over at Christmas etc. It was difficult for them but they are taking it in stride.  Now I might add this a a really  naive sheltered conservative family. But this I where I must explain the difference.  The conservatives and fundamental church in America is a far cry and vastly   different than anything that I have seen here.  First off we as a nation dont  go off freaking out about homosexuality . People get married so what?  If they  love each other so what?  I have married gay friends. I may not be a homosexual or really think it is right, but in reality   It doesnt  involve me,  I could care less.  I like them.  They don't infringe on my rights or beliefs and I don't on theirs.. And I am fairly certain most Christians I know  would think the same.  There are vast differences in our  nations core beliefs.  What you have going on in the states is just insane.  I think most Christian beliefs and denominations stem from or core beliefs that see homosexuality as sin . So I don't think the   Gaines pastor is  hateful or mean because it is a core belief of the church.  The church has thousands of years of history behind that belief. But if he is yelling and accusing judgement on them , I have a problem with that.  I think not watching a  Tv show because of this is just dumb.  It's the same as not watching Nate Berkus and Jeremiahs new décor/renovation  show. Because they are gay.  The problem I have with  Americans in general is your politics and religion is so intertwined it's like a big bowl of spaghetti.  You have made   Monumental issues out of private matters that belong to the individual. The church is built up solely on abortion  and LGBTQ issues that trumps all other issues.  I find it so hypocritical  I can hardly wrap my head around it.  Politics and religion don't mix.  The Duggars form of conservative religion  is so off doctrinely, and this weird    Form of conservative church in America is so screwed up.  As an outsider looking in , reading,  watching, viewpoints from all over, trying to understand it .  it's a mess.  I believe  fundamentalists are a cult, I think they give real Christians a bad name. I believe there are genuine Christians who are not tainted by these political agendas.  Who do love their neighbors as themselves.  Who actually do what the Bible says, but they are few and far between.  This crazy wing nut Christianity you have going in the states is not true Christianity. And this is why  I come on here.  I am so tired and annoyed that the portrayal of what these people do and say I feel like I need to defend my own Christian beliefs.  I do not want to be painted by that brush.   And the worst unfortunate thing is that this form of fundamental  belief is slowly Creeping across the border. I have argued with friends about their posts on abortion and  and LGBTQ issues. Which is so stupid because our laws uphold abortion and gay marriage.  It's not changing. And it's not a big deal so quit trying to make it a big deal. The issues in the states are not our issues.  My daughter lives in the Bible Belt now and has come across a few large     Duggar type families. But most people think they are weird. I just want you all to know is that   That what you are seeing as fundamental Christianity in America for the most part is not the true church, it has a form Christianity but it certainly isn't the one I read about in scripture. And  that Duggar  form of Christianity started and seems to only be in America for the most part. It is not a representative of the global Christian church.  Unfortunately America has propagated this belief into other nations and people are being conned into thinking that it's right. If I were the Gaines I would steer clear of any association with the Duggars. They are not good for business. And I would not give them any sort of attention to swell their heads any larger. They are used to people crushing on them and giving deals simply because of  who they are. It's  nauseating and besides the Gaines have worked hard building up their business and name. Unlike the Duggars. And I just have to add . Sierras comment about feeling the spirit or some blather while being there is pure nauseating.  I hate it when Christians run around saying crap like that.

Oh yeah, Canada is an idyllic paradise where homophobia doesn't exist, conservative Christian families welcome their gay children (and their partners) with open arms, and people who are against gay marriage and/or abortion just accept that it's legal without much argument or concern. Um...

I've actually been part of two churches which split, and split badly, over gay marriage. The first was an Anglican church. When they voted to allow gay marriage, the majority of the congregation left in a bitter dispute and formed their own church.

The second was a Presbyterian church. The congregation was searching for a new pastor and got so hung up on whether the final two candidates would IN THEORY perform gay marriages (even though the Presbyterian Church in Canada did not allow gay marriage, so it was basically a moot point) that they almost came to an impass. Finally the more conservative faction won out and they chose the pastor who seemed less gay-friendly. Unfortunately for them, this pastor turned out to be a little more liberal and accepting and inclusive than they had thought. I hadn't been to this church in a couple of years, and when I came back I found that probably about 75% of the original congregation had left for more conservative pastures. Even though, as far as I know, the Presbyterian Church in Canada STILL does not allow gay marriage!

Neither of these churches were particularly conservative at the time of the schisms - and definitely not even within the same universe as American conservative evangelicals.

tl;dr: there are plenty of Christians in Canada who get bent out of shape about things like homosexuality too.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Oh yeah, Canada is an idyllic paradise where homophobia doesn't exist, conservative Christian families welcome their gay children (and their partners) with open arms, and people who are against gay marriage and/or abortion just accept that it's legal without much argument or concern. Um...

I've actually been part of two churches which split, and split badly, over gay marriage. The first was an Anglican church. When they voted to allow gay marriage, the majority of the congregation left in a bitter dispute and formed their own church.

The second was a Presbyterian church. The congregation was searching for a new pastor and got so hung up on whether the final two candidates would IN THEORY perform gay marriages (even though the Presbyterian Church in Canada did not allow gay marriage, so it was basically a moot point) that they almost came to an impass. Finally the more conservative faction won out and they chose the pastor who seemed less gay-friendly. Unfortunately for them, this pastor turned out to be a little more liberal and accepting and inclusive than they had thought. I hadn't been to this church in a couple of years, and when I came back I found that probably about 75% of the original congregation had left for more conservative pastures. Even though, as far as I know, the Presbyterian Church in Canada STILL does not allow gay marriage!

Neither of these churches were particularly conservative at the time of the schisms - and definitely not even within the same universe as American conservative evangelicals.

tl;dr: there are plenty of Christians in Canada who get bent out of shape about things like homosexuality too.

I wasn't talking about churches accepting gay marriage, I was talking on a political platform. If you read my statement you would have understood I said most(if not all) churches core beliefs , believe homosexuality is a sin. Let the churches hash that out. Not the political arena. That is where I differentiated between nations. There was some hoopla over the Anglican Church and still is on a church by church basis. But when it generally comes to politics they don't intermix .  And our religious climate here is not like the states, in the political arena.  Furthermore I was stating my own beliefs of acceptance and a few of the people I know around me. I firmly don't believe the church should  be running around telling the non Christian world all their personal sins and putting them up on a platform telling them they are all going to hell when we all have our own crap and sin to deal with. I am ashamed to be a Christian when the  church or individuals  pick on that one sin and make a huge hoopla over it, when sitting in the pews are gossips, maligners, crooks and sexual abusers, and domestic abusers  it is hypocritical. Recently a Mennonite church in Saskatchewan accepted gays into their church. The only hoopla I read about was in the Mennonite Herald, their denominations publication.( And that conservative family with the gay son, is a small conservative Mennonite church on the island, not a huge metropolis. ) It did not become a national political religious debate like in the states.  Do Christians in Canada get bent out of shape over  homosexuality or LGBTQ issues ? Quote from an article  from the CBC **

Mennonite Church Canada as a denomination isn't publicly welcoming of LGBT people or affirming of same-sex marriage. The denomination's confession of faith states that marriage is between a man and a woman for life. 

Last year, however, the governing body in Saskatchewan announced that congregations could decide on their own whether or not they would be welcoming and the church would not take action against it. This was decided, in part, to keep some congregations from leaving the denomination.****

Yes. But if you compare the two nations side by side, there is a Vast expanse of difference.  I wasn't saying Canada was in some sort of religious  unicorn, Daisy utopia. But our religious system is not pushing a religious dogma in the political arena, and that is where their is a huge difference when comparing Christianity between the two nations.  Again, the Duggar standard of belief is or has started to seep into Canadian churches. I was a part of the homeschool movement in  Alberta, the same AHEA group that ousted the Duggars. That particular conference was in my town I lived in. I attended those conferences. There was only one family in my immediate group like the Duggars.  I had heard of a few more in Calgary, but it was not like the climate in the states, and that was my point we have few Duggar like fundamentals in Canada but it is growing. If you compare the mainstream conservative church in Canada to the USA conservatives they would think we were all liberals. Of course generally speaking.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived