IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

47 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@DugFan,  they do make fake vanilla extract for those of the temperance persuasion who will not touch anything alcoholic, not even a teaspoon of vanilla extract distributed over a whole batch of cookies or in an entire pound cake.

My Mom used to tell me she had a teacher (this would have been in the 50s) who was known to be an alcoholic and would keep bottles of vanilla in her desk!  Somehow I'd like to picture some of the Duggar kids swigging the ole vanilla, but I'm sure they've hunted down the alcohol-free version of which you speak.  Sigh...

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DugFan said:

My Mom used to tell me she had a teacher (this would have been in the 50s) who was known to be an alcoholic and would keep bottles of vanilla in her desk!  Somehow I'd like to picture some of the Duggar kids swigging the ole vanilla, but I'm sure they've hunted down the alcohol-free version of which you speak.  Sigh...

Remember the Family Ties episode where Tom Hanks was the kids' alcoholic uncle and he hit Alex while on a vanilla extract bender?

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Be aware Famous Five lovers that the books have been modernized. They now wear jeans. Don't know how they figure the swimsuit thing for George (the girl who wants to be a boy). There's some racism and   class distinction, which I never noticed as a kid. I loved them, and would read them again.

Oh my I will check it out. 

Drinking vanilla to get drunk would be a VERY expensive habit.

Speaking of covert acts of alcoholism, one of the participants I met through my outreach job was really proud of herself one night, because she was standing on a corner secretly drinking whiskey out of a cough syrup bottle. The fact that she had chosen a cough syrup bottle to hide her whiskey didn't exactly make it look any better.

All this talk about books for tweens makes me sad for the Duggar children. Of course, this has been said ad nauseum, but it is a terrible shame that the Duggarlings aren't exposed to reading that doesn't have some sort of a preachy agenda. I really enjoyed reading in my youth, and found that my imagination, vocabulary and verbal skills developed well as a result.

@Bad Wolf.  Got you beat but only by a year--1947.  Good to know some of us are the same vintage!!  Thanks to Audrey 2 for the info on the Honey Bunch books--mine are definitely the 1920s version.  The books we loved as kids is a great thread drift, but then I enjoy most of the thread drift topics and always learn something.  Go FJ!

Has anyone noticed that Jessa seems to have blocked people from tagging her in Instagram pics? She used to be tagged in thousands (a la leghumper accounts), and now nada.

This book discussion has been great! I was and still am a big reader. When I was young I loved the Magic Faraway Tree collection by Enid Blyton. I was also really into the BSC and Sweet Valley.

Once I got to High School (Australian High School, age 12/13) I started reading the Tomorrow When the War Began Series by John Marsden, an Australian Author. That series was hugely popular at my school, my copies of the 7 books are falling apart from the number of times I read them and how often they were borrowed from me. I also loved Morris Gleitzman (another Australian author).

I just recently read the Anne of Green Gables series, and adored it, I'd read the first one as a kid. Makes me want to find my collection of classics that was given to me by my Mum and read them again. My favourites were The Secret Garden, Little Women, Black Beauty and The Railway Children.

Edited to add: how could I forget Harry Potter!

4 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Drinking vanilla to get drunk would be a VERY expensive habit.

My old grocery store kept all extracts behind the counter because they are easy to steal.

4 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

All this talk about books for tweens makes me sad for the Duggar children. Of course, this has been said ad nauseum, but it is a terrible shame that the Duggarlings aren't exposed to reading that doesn't have some sort of a preachy agenda.

To be fair, a lot of the books mentioned have a bit of a preachy agenda. #56 Keep Out Claudia was a weird, clumsy, 90s anti racism novel. SVH had dozens of anti drug books. Christopher Pike had the weirdest anti abortion novel ever. 

3 hours ago, Karma said:

Possum Magic is a pretty awesome kids book, @PossumMagic.  I read it to my kids hundreds of times. :) 

Thanks @Karma! I love it too, if I have kids I'm sure it'll be on high rotation. Chose it as something different from my usual screen name for a bit of anonymity :)

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

My old grocery store kept all extracts behind the counter because they are easy to steal.

To be fair, a lot of the books mentioned have a bit of a preachy agenda. #56 Keep Out Claudia was a weird, clumsy, 90s anti racism novel. SVH had dozens of anti drug books. Christopher Pike had the weirdest anti abortion novel ever. 

Good point. I actually remember reading Keep Out, Claudia. Anti abortion messages are definitely weird and inappropriate to have in children/tween books, I wonder if the Duggars are allowed to read that one? Still, better anti-racism and anti-drug than being told that your body is not your own, and you must never question authority. 

I'm currently watching 13 Reasons Why on netflix and keep getting distracted by how much Hannah looks like a young Jessa! Does anyone else see it?

jessa.jpg

article-2594485-1CBEE19400000578-926_634x479.jpg

4 minutes ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I'm currently watching 13 Reasons Why on netflix and keep getting distracted by how much Hannah looks like a young Jessa! Does anyone else see it?

jessa.jpg

Yes! I was actually going to post something about it. I'm on episode 4. Too bad they'll never see this series, it has great moral messages. 

7 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I'm currently watching 13 Reasons Why on netflix.

*SNIP*

My 17 year old  DD was watching this, this morning. I'm going to have to check it out too, and yes I saw the resemblance. 

8 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

jessa.jpg

Now I'm wondering how I missed this. :geek: Think I need to get my eyes tested again. 

8 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

[...]

I can see it now, but all along, I kept thinking Hannah looks like Natalie Portman.

Anyway, great serie !

I started watching 13 Reasons Why last night, I didn't get the Jessa resemblance but it was bugging me cos she reminded me of someone but couldn't place it at the time. I do see a likeness now that I see the two photos together.

There is another actress who looks like Jessa's twin (can't think of her name now). I started watching a new show just before Xmas, and it was blowing my mind how alike they were. This girl had the same hair,  her chin  was slightly longer than Jessa's and Jessa has poutier lips, but other than that facial features were bang on. Except for strutting around in skinny jeans, thigh high boots and low cut tops and making out with boys in the woods!! Very un-Jessa. I went and googled it at the time, and found out this actress was also in Freaks and Geeks. I don't remember her in it, but the pics from the show were so like a young Jessa too.

Now it is really annoying me that can't remember the name of the actress.

20 minutes ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

I started watching 13 Reasons Why last night, I didn't get the Jessa resemblance but it was bugging me cos she reminded me of someone but couldn't place it at the time. I do see a likeness now that I see the two photos together.

There is another actress who looks like Jessa's twin (can't think of her name now). I started watching a new show just before Xmas, and it was blowing my mind how alike they were. This girl had the same hair,  her chin  was slightly longer than Jessa's and Jessa has poutier lips, but other than that facial features were bang on. Except for strutting around in skinny jeans, thigh high boots and low cut tops and making out with boys in the woods!! Very un-Jessa. I went and googled it at the time, and found out this actress was also in Freaks and Geeks. I don't remember her in it, but the pics from the show were so like a young Jessa too.

Now it is really annoying me that can't remember the name of the actress.

Was it Kayla Ewell?

I have crap reception so I can post a picture. 

I can't figure out how to do the spoiler thingy.

Spoiler

Oh wait maybe I got it

IMG_1719.PNG

Is the 13 Reasons Why series modeled after the Jay Asher book?! How is it?!

This is the most exciting thing I've heard all day. The book was amazing. More pumped than I should be to watch it! 

On 4/2/2017 at 10:08 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm the Auntie or that person who buys books for baby showers, or birthday parties. Most people buy toys at birthdays or holidays, I buy reading books, workbooks for older preschool age kids, flash cards stuff like that.  The parents normally appreciate it because it isn't another toy that will get played with for a few minutes and tossed aside. 

Same here! Husband and I get our nephew one new outfit, a new book, and money for his college fund. We figure it's better that way because nephew's grandparents and his dad's siblings all get him toys. It makes us happy to know that we're helping his parents out a bit and we know how much they appreciate it. Plus, little buddy loves to read. :) 

We're planning to do that for our daughter too. Her first Easter basket has one book, an Easter bib, and a rabbit stuffed animal so far. Maybe we'll toss in an outfit for next size up or something. I'm trying to come up with other ideas too - it's tough buying for a four month old. :pb_lol:

(We contribute money to her college account at the end of the year.)

Yes, @Incognito22 That's her alright. I went off to google it again - didn't help that I couldn't remember her name or the newer show I saw her in, and my google skills are bad anyway. Eventually worked it out through Freaks and Geeks wiki. Kayla Ewell played Maureen in Freaks and Geeks, and Vicki in The Vampire Diaries. 

Maybe it is just me, but looking again at her on Google images, the similarity is crazy.

And now, I really want to re-watch Freaks and Geeks. Luckily, it was just added to Netflix a few days ago, but I am watching too many shows at the moment already.

Don't move on from the reading discussion now that you got me out of lurking please 

I think I started reading when I was three or four (at least theres pictures with me and books and nobody else) and it is breaking my heart for these fundies that they never get to enjoy all of these books we all got to read. I grew up with Harry Potter, and I've read and reread it more times than I care to admit. Randomly enough, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was the first book I read in English, and I think it took me a day, which shows how invested I was at 13 or 14.

I pretty much read through every genre, from girly books to fantasy to murder, thriller and the occasional somewhat cliche romance novels my mum likes to read too, and if  i wouldn't already have way too many books, I'd seriously consider to buy some of the ones you recommend here - not being american means I do not know a lot of these. I read pretty much every Enid Blydon book there is, though, and I had a phase where I read a lot of books that had to do with horses (i think Heartland series or stg like that), even though I never was into horses that much.

Apart from the book discussion, it always blows my mind how I am pretty much Jills age and I would not want to be preggers with my second child no, much less being married to Dillward (irk). I think I relate to Jessa a lot more, because she at least is kick ass and bitchy, and I suppose if she wasn't in a clan, she would be actually a fun person to be around..

44 minutes ago, emscm said:

Is the 13 Reasons Why series modeled after the Jay Asher book?! How is it?!

This is the most exciting thing I've heard all day. The book was amazing. More pumped than I should be to watch it! 

Yes it is, I googled it, it just hit Nexflix on Friday or Saturday that is why we are all suddenly hearing about it. 

29 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

Don't move on from the reading discussion now that you got me out of lurking please 

I think I started reading when I was three or four (at least theres pictures with me and books and nobody else) and it is breaking my heart for these fundies that they never get to enjoy all of these books we all got to read. I grew up with Harry Potter, and I've read and reread it more times than I care to admit. Randomly enough, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was the first book I read in English, and I think it took me a day, which shows how invested I was at 13 or 14.

I pretty much read through every genre, from girly books to fantasy to murder, thriller and the occasional somewhat cliche romance novels my mum likes to read too, and if  i wouldn't already have way too many books, I'd seriously consider to buy some of the ones you recommend here - not being american means I do not know a lot of these. I read pretty much every Enid Blydon book there is, though, and I had a phase where I read a lot of books that had to do with horses (i think Heartland series or stg like that), even though I never was into horses that much.

Apart from the book discussion, it always blows my mind how I am pretty much Jills age and I would not want to be preggers with my second child no, much less being married to Dillward (irk). I think I relate to Jessa a lot more, because she at least is kick ass and bitchy, and I suppose if she wasn't in a clan, she would be actually a fun person to be around..

Big reader here too, and I'm shit old enough to be your mother, but I think Jessa and I would be long lost besties, she's got that momma bear bitch and GNF attitude that if she weren't a neo conservative asshole we would LOVE each other because bitches with no fucks like to travel in packs. 

I was watching the Polish/French movie The Innocents on Netflix last month and the main character Mathilda (played by Lou de Laage) looked so much like Jessa my jaw dropped. For cereal, y'all gotta see her face (and the movie is recommended by me as well ;) ).

I need to go to the other thread and figure out how to do spoilers, or I would do a pic. I hate adding a pic without spoilers. Tapatalk kinda sucks At loading pics sometimes lol. I understand that much hehehe.

Gifts for kids....I read this somewhere about Christmas time. Wish I could stick to that philosophy.

Something they want

Something they need

Something to wear

Something to read

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived