IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

21 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

(snip)

All this talk about books for tweens makes me sad for the Duggar children. Of course, this has been said ad nauseum, but it is a terrible shame that the Duggarlings aren't exposed to reading that doesn't have some sort of a preachy agenda. I really enjoyed reading in my youth, and found that my imagination, vocabulary and verbal skills developed well as a result.

I used to be able to go through whole chapter books in an afternoon. Unfortunately my attention span is all over the place and I can barely make it through a paragraph without my brain drifting somewhere else...I noticed a lot of people seemed to develop this problem sometime in adulthood, so maybe it means I've grown up?

I also really loved video games (and still do!). When I was growing up, it always bummed me out that there were kids banned from playing Pokemon (because they "evolved"), which was a huge part of my childhood. I was a really awkward kid and had a lot of trouble making friends, and my family didn't really get out much either; it was something else to be able to go on an epic adventure across mountains, cities, and oceans while catching creatures to be your friends and becoming really powerful as a result. Stuff like books and video games made being a lonely kid a lot more bearable. I hope the Duggar kids (as well as other fundies) at least had somewhat of a creative or exploratory outlet, like drawing or playing outside.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I used to be able to go through whole chapter books in an afternoon. Unfortunately my attention span is all over the place and I can barely make it through a paragraph without my brain drifting somewhere else...I noticed a lot of people seemed to develop this problem sometime in adulthood, so maybe it means I've grown up?

Same. The prevalence of social media platforms that provide instant gratification (e.g. facebook, which was released when I was in college) hasn't helped. I used to be able to spend hours reading a book, but now I can barely get through a few chapters before I get distracted with checking my email or facebook, or reading the latest comments on FJ :562479569aefe_32(14):

I love to read, always have since I was little.    First books were the Little Golden Books, then off to the library to read Madeline.  Lots of Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Little Women. I would read anything and everything.   I exhausted the kids section in our local library by 3rd grade.

I read Agatha Christie, Emilie Loring, Grace Livingston Hill, Mary Stewart through elementary school, plus whatever my mother, aunts or nuns gave me to read.  I remember a family connection giving me the complete set of Elsie Dinsmore  books and the big debate if I could read them because of the anti catholic views in them.   I read them, plus any other fiction genre that came my way, age appropriate or not.    

I have enjoyed everyone's favorite list, I feel I need to find some old Enid Blayton as I never read these books.

When I think back on the fun and wonder I had in exploring the library as a child, I feel so sorry for the Duggars and other  Fundies.    Reading is so integral in expanding a person's mind and their worlds and minds are closed off to new things.

lately if found my self very compartimental about reading/pc/phone i can pass some period without read or go an facebook or twitter but for example i have to find a new distraction like pinterest or something else after maybe a coupe of months i came back to read and read everything i could often start with somenthing really good and then go down the hill and start again

I used to read like crazy. I'm still one to carry a book (or kindle) with me everywhere I go.

I virtually stopped reading when I started college to focus on school. When I decided to bring some of my hobbies back into my life, reading was one of the first. But within that time I acquired a smart phone and, as @WhoompThereItIs pointed out, all the social media and instant gratification. I've found it difficult to focus on books for a while now, need to work on that....

First books I remember reading are the Cam Jansen series, Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones. I read Harry Potter as they came out, but I'm not one to reread books, with very few exceptions. I've just now started rereading HP. I missed Peeves.

I grew up Roman Catholic, but my mum always read books to us - there is even a picture of me on my first birthday highly concentrated reading a "sponge" book (the ones that just Show a picture , you can take them into the bathtub). My library card was always glowing and I eben got a degree in English literature - as well as comparative religious studies :D Did a paper on the Duggars once. Lecturer said "no fundie bashing". It was doable.  (German person here). 

But what frustrates me the most is that the Duggars, Seewalds, Dillards a. Call the bible a book (it is a library) and b. Claim to be "reading" and "studying" it - not one of them knows hebrew or greek or has an idea of the beauty these texts have as "art" - literature. (Talking about hebrew bible here - not so much the New Testament... from a literary perspective it is pretty lame). Just take Ruth, or Kohelet or the Song of songs... even Bereshit has so many interesting layers and fun hints. 

They cannot appreciate this (other than disective bible quoting I have never heard them talking passionately about the beauty and craftsmanship put into these texts) and I envy it. 

So. What I wanted to say: even if their only "book" was the bible, they still could get a h*ll lot of literature and stylistic elements and fun analysis put of it (there are plenty of cool characters in there!!! Not all heros wear capes!). But they don't. And that frustrates me endlessly.

Reading all these titles you all read makes me feel like I missed something!  I remember reading the Anne books, Little Women and a couple of Nancy Drew (didn't really like Nancy) when I was very young...maybe 3rd grade.  Loved the Secret Garden....then I went right into Gone with the Wind, anything Robin Cook, Steven King by the 5th/6th grade.  On the up side to reading "above my grade level" is that I have read TONS of books in almost every genre--and on most of those "100 top books you need to read" lists I have hit up a good 95% or so.  Still, I think I missed out.  Heading into my kids' closets now, maybe I should revisit Harry, or Anne or Jo.......

In 7th grade I did a book report on The Exorcist and got an F. When my mom spoke to my teacher about it, she was told the book was "unsuitable" for someone my age. My mom laughed and said I had passed the 7th grade books back in the 3rd or 4th grade and had been reading "adult" books for several years. I still got an F and my teacher had to approve my reading material for book reports there after.

7 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

In 7th grade I did a book report on The Exorcist and got an F. When my mom spoke to my teacher about it, she was told the book was "unsuitable" for someone my age. My mom laughed and said I had passed the 7th grade books back in the 3rd or 4th grade and had been reading "adult" books for several years. I still got an F and my teacher had to approve my reading material for book reports there after.

I didn't get an F on a book report, but I did get called out by the English teacher in 8th grade for putting Rosemary's Baby on my reading list.  I was also told by the teacher that I should not be reading books like that.  I doubt she knew what it was about.  A bunch of us also got in trouble for reading it in study hall.  The study hall teacher had gone to Bob Jones and the English teacher was noted for taping paper over the naked native women in National Geographic when she served as school librarian.  My brother said all that did was point out to junior high boys where the good pictures were.  I will say that Mrs Scott was a good English teacher and I heard that she had taught drafting years before.

I went to an English village school. There were only a few books in the cupboard and I had read them all. When I complained, I was told to read them again. They were all below my reading level, anyway. So my friend and I decided to get in trouble instead. There were weeks when we didn't spend a day without getting hit across the palms of our hands with a ruler.  And we didn't care. This was about mid fifties.

Spurgeon nibbles graham crackers while looking like a child model. 

I'm starting to notice Spurge is still jessas main focus at least in Instagram. So I guess she's not pulling a michelle and moving on to the littlest one. I think jessa might more into whoever she thinks is the cutest most Instagram follower worthy.

I was always the kid with a book in her hand. When we visited people ( and we went to a lot of different houses for parties or deliveries because my mom sold make-up), if they had any books in the room I was all over them. I would be sitting in the corner reading while they talked make-up.
I read a whole lot of age-inappropriate books because no one bothered to tell me "Don't read that." I started Flowers in the Attic that way, then got my mom to buy it for me so I could finish. I was 10 or 11? Needless to say I was traumatized, lol, but I still love that damn book.

I had to reorder the first book in the "Orphan Train" series by Joan Lowery Nixon, because my daughter lost her copy. I think I read that series in 3rd or 4th grade? 

3 minutes ago, FeministShrew said:

I read a whole lot of age-inappropriate books because no one bothered to tell me "Don't read that." I started Flowers in the Attic that way, then got my mom to buy it for me so I could finish. I was 10 or 11? Needless to say I was traumatized, lol, but I still love that damn book.

Errr, I read Flowers in the Attic at 12. Very inappropriate. VC Andrews will always be a guilty pleasure. Just because the books are so weird. 

Since a few people mentioned the Anne of Green Gables books, is anyone else watching or planning to watch the new Anne series? The Netflix trailer just came out. The girl playing Anne perfect for the part, and the scenery is gorgeous.

11 hours ago, Pasta said:

They'd make good money if he was a child model.  So adorable

Honestly I'm surprised they don't use him as a cover child for whatever IBLP books/crap they're hawking.

27 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Since a few people mentioned the Anne of Green Gables books, is anyone else watching or planning to watch the new Anne series? The Netflix trailer just came out. The girl playing Anne perfect for the part, and the scenery is gorgeous.

Oh fucking Netflix. Three series I want to watch in just Three weeks and i need that time to study. Just stop making cool shows!! :pb_lol:

I watched the original series and loved it. can't wait for the new one. Bosch is back this month, too.

My father used to drive me to the library,and he would look through my books before we left.I did not understand it then.He could have been making sure I was not reading anything inappropriate,I was 10. 

I started reading "inappropriate" books in my teens.Like Jacqueline Susann books or The Happy Hooker.....lol.

I was not forbidden,but asked why I was reading such filth.

I watch the ID channel and sometimes read true crime,and Mr Melon asks why am I watching that or reading that..he jokes that I am looking for ways to be rid of him.

11 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Honestly I'm surprised they don't use him as a cover child for whatever IBLP books/crap they're hawking.

yes but does she use hairspray on those curls or what? 

I am over the curls 

He might just have naturally curly hair. NieceOfMela does. She had gorgeous, fluffy curls for the first three years of her life, just my like brother, her dad. Then they went out of control. 

So all of the girls need to cut their hair, Jill should not be allowed to cut her husband's hair, Jessa puts too much effort into her hair, Jinger needs to comb her hair more, the Duggar males need to somehow change the fact that they have receding hairlines, and now one-year-old Spurgeon is offending people by having curly hair.

Okay.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived