IGNORED

Where In The World Is Doug Philips (Who Is A Tool)?? (Part 4)

Destiny

23 hours ago, MarissaLee said:

Hi everyone :) Long time lurker (3 years, maybe?). I've finally decided to de-lurk!.

FJ, along with a few other sites, has really opened my eyes to the nonsense of patriarchy. I'm cheering at all the stuff that is happening with Dougie and hoping more and more of the people affected by him will find freedom.

Some people consider FJ to be a cesspool of vindictive gossip... but we out here doing the lord's work :dance: helped me a ton several years back as well, highlighting in tangible ways exactly why these cult-like groups are so damaging, and helped me separate myself from growing up involved in ATI/IBLP and VF in a big way. Thanks internet and all you humans that make it what it is!

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Julie Anne just put up a link to a PhD dissertation by a friend of hers, Pastor Ken Garrett.  I haven't read much of it yet but I think it could be very useful.    It might even deserve its own thread.

https://graceportland.org/2017/04/30/spiritual-abuse-in-the-church-a-guide-to-recognition-and-recovery/ 

I have just spent over two hours reading this.

Wow.

His 8 ways of identifying an abusive church/pastor are a description of, particularly, Gothard and Doug Wilson.

His description of false, narcissistic prophets is John Shrader.

His account of the healing needed for those who leave is heartbreaking - apparently, more than twice , in fact almost three times, as many of those leaving spiritually abusive churches suffer from PTSD than military from active combat zones......between 61% and 71% as opposed to 25% to 30%.

It's long read, but well worth it.

Thank you, @Palimpsest, for pointing me towards it. I think it may well deserve its own thread.

ETA This was the spiritually abusive pastor to whom Ken Garrett adhered for 12 years.http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2015/04/happy_valley_pastor_mike_spero_1.html

Please read this dissertation if you have time - I have so much going around in my head since I read it.

I'll start a thread in Quiverfull of Snark.

ETA 2 Don't know how to link a thread - but it's called A Guide to Spiritual Abuse in the Church, in Quiverfull of Snark.

6 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Thank you, @Palimpsest, for pointing me towards it. I think it may well deserve its own thread.

You are welcome.  I'm less than half way through it (it is a dense read) and I thought I would wait to start a thread until I finished so I could discuss it properly.  But as you have finished it please go ahead and start one. :) 

I think his definitions and descriptions are excellent.  He's also good at pointing out where these people twist Scripture to fit their needs.

I'm looking at it as a very good tool for professionals (secular and Christian) who counsel survivors of spiritually abusive churches.  There is really not enough information out there for them - to say nothing of a dearth of good counselors trained in the area.

I haven't got to his recommendations for recovery yet.  I think those could be really helpful for survivors - I hope so.

They are. But he is also very clear that recovery is not easy.

Doug filmed Lady Flo's "Man Auction," she informs us on FB, but for some reason I can't link the video here. The men aren't nekkid or anything, but still, doesn't it violate "God's created order"? 

Published on May 4, 2017

[Lady Flo]  "That time I decided to sell our Soldiers for two good causes : bringing a partner to dance in couple and gathering money for a hospital."

Thanks DW Cinematographer for capturing this at Bal Rat Mort 2017, The Liberation edition.  And special thanks to my brave Soldiers!

Very clothed and not at all salacious but definitely upsetting "God's created order."  

What was the "good cause" - Doug's next trip to steal sand from Iwo Jima?

I can't find a decent clip but that video reminds me of the Bachelor Auction scene in the movie "Groundhog Day".

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Published on May 4, 2017

[Lady Flo]  "That time I decided to sell our Soldiers for two good causes : bringing a partner to dance in couple and gathering money for a hospital."

Thanks DW Cinematographer for capturing this at Bal Rat Mort 2017, The Liberation edition.  And special thanks to my brave Soldiers!

Do you all remember the very modest and christlike "Remembering WWII" that Dougie played dress up for at Vision Forum?  Where he insisted that it wasn't just cosplay fun-time, but instead was all about Freedom and Manliness and AMERICA?

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

What was the "good cause" -

Oh you know. "Those mean homeschoolers have made our life so miserable by destroying us and believing the lies of LT." and so DPIART has to do what he has to do to feed his family in Durango etc.

More re-branding. I guess Nathaniel Darnell now believes that it's okay for women to run for office, make law, and sit in judgment above men. And also that Christian children are obligated to be "salt and light" in the public schools. Interesting. 

More re-branding. I guess Nathaniel Darnell now believes that it's okay for women to run for office, make law, and sit in judgment above men. 

Whoa!  Where did you see this?  I thought Natty was the tedious worst.  He was courting in 2013.  What happened with that?

Looks like he's moving on up.  He is on the Cobb County GOP committee now.  Are you extrapolating the above from this?

1 hour ago, Howl said:

He is on the Cobb County GOP committee now.  Are you extrapolating the above from this?

Most Dominionists have nothing to do with the Republican Party because it's "too liberal" and "pro-big government." They vote for the Constitution Party, period: the Phillips (obvs), the Browns, the Sprouls, the Seppis, etc. 

Here is Nathaniel in 2013, explaining how he is trying to work with both the Constitution party and the GOP, and how some of his theonomist pals aren’t too crazy about the idea. But he has clearly been softening for some time now.

http://bojidarmarinov.com/blog/if-youre-a-theonomist-are-you-helping-in-politics/

Remember how much criticism James and Stacy McDonald took from fellow VFers when they voted McCain/Palin in 2008 because they felt it would be more effective in stopping abortion? Stacy literally took to her bed, she was so upset. It's a big deal in these circles to "betray" the Constitution Party for the Republican Party. 

Does Darnell truly believe that women should be legislators/judges and that children should have to be salt and light in the public schools? Well, either he does, in which case he has completely rejected theonomy and should admit to it, or he doesn't and is cynically using the Republican Party as a Trojan horse to further Reconstructionist/Dominionist aims and his own career. 

Isn't Darnell the self-aggrandizing dork who calls his VF intern group The First Brigade?

What's theonomy?

26 minutes ago, VodouDoll said:

What's theonomy?

@DomWackTroll can probably give you a better definition but I see it as big among Dominionists and a subset of Reformed Calvinism and Christian Reconstructionist theology that basically wants a return to Old Testament law.  Ugly stuff.  

I developed an abiding dislike of Darnell in the fallout from the Fall of the Tool.  He sat on the sidelines bleating about Matthew 18 and telling other people to shut up.  He was very critical of Bradrick for having taken a stand.

I followed Natty on the Christian Reconstructionist Facebook until they made it private.  The people in that group were quite disgusting and so is he.

This does look like significant re-branding and it is really interesting. 

I wonder whether Darnell had his rear-end handed to him by that group when he first got in with the Republican committee (this is his second term) or whether they will drop him like a hot potato now.  I used to think he had political aspirations.  He got his Oak Brook JD and used to work for a congressman but the last I noticed he was on this committee and selling insurance or something.

Edit to add:  

Dork is a very kind description of Darnell.  

Doesn't he have a failed courtship in his past?  I may be confusing him with someone else.

He wrote a lot on Perservero!News!  or whatever that dreck was called.  It shut down a while ago.

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

is cynically using the Republican Party as a Trojan horse to further Reconstructionist/Dominionist aims and his own career. 

I'd vote the Trojan Horse option.  He's Oak Brook.  I'd be very curious to know if Natty has passed the bar anywhere. 

Oak Brook College of Law allows women students, so he's already compromised there. 

This is right off the Oak Brook College of Law web site: 

Perspective and Convictions
It has been said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” At Oak Brook College, our vision is to train attorneys who have the conviction, knowledge, and skill to actively stand for truth and against the evil in this world. This commitment means that a student’s training in worldview and legal philosophy is of utmost importance to our faculty. All laws are based upon policies, and policies, in turn, are based upon an individual’s perspective of truth. For this reason, gaining a proper foundation of truth is a pursuit of primary importance at Oak Brook. Oak Brook College faculty and students are committed to a proper understanding of the Laws of Nature and Nature’s God and the self- evident truths articulated by our Founding Fathers in the Declaration of Independence. As a result of these commitments, Oak Brook students also actively reject the faith of evolution and the religion of secular humanism. As students progress in their studies, they will learn the Biblical and historical foundations of American law and be challenged to make conventional application of these principles to today’s legal and governmental issues.

@Howl, because OBCL can enforce the beliefs of adults? :pb_lol:

For all Gothard's vision of raising an army of toady ing lawyers, Oak Brook was kind of the place to stick all the "difficult" people who weren't falling in navy blue and white lines neatly enough. The girls were put in there to find husbands.  Many graduates do not meet the school's theological constraints, and never did, but hey, lawyers are good at b.s.

Darnell, on the other hand, is a holier-than-thou bootlicker.

18 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'd vote the Trojan Horse option.  He's Oak Brook.  I'd be very curious to know if Natty has passed the bar anywhere. 

I don't think so.  He doesn't list it on LinkedIn anyway.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/timothynathanieldarnell/?locale=en_US

He's calling himself a financial adviser these days and still says he makes films.  Persevero!  It sounds like a spell in Harry Potter.

And his failed courtship was with Rachel Gray, I just remembered.

6 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

No, Darnell did not pass the bar.

Did he try for the CA bar (the only one that accepts Oak Brook JD grads) and fail?

Inquiring minds and all that.

58 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Oak Brook was kind of the place to stick all the "difficult" people who weren't falling in navy blue and white lines neatly enough.

James Pennington got his JD from there too.  There's an interesting overlap between IBLP and VF at Oak Brook.  Pennington did pass the CA bar.

30 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Did he try for the CA bar (the only one that accepts Oak Brook JD grads) and fail?

Yes, at least twice, IIRC, as posted on the now-defunct Persevero!

ETA: Marvelous sleuthing, guys, especially that 2013 "statement" from Darnell. One of the commenters links to a nutwad book by Gary North.

And who or what is Bojidar Marinov? He doesn't seem to like Doug Wilson a whole lot!

3 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes, at least twice, IIRC, as posted on the now-defunct Persevero!

Is it horrible of me to be laughing right now?

Is it horrible of me to be laughing right now?

No, because I sure did when I checked the CA bar roster sometime after that only to find that there was no "Nathan Darnell" listed as a licensee.

32 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

And who or what is Bojidar Marinov? He doesn't seem to like Doug Wilson a whole lot!

Don't know a whole lot about him, but he seems to be quite the provocateur, always getting into heated Facebook "discussions" with people like David Botkin. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived