IGNORED

Where In The World Is Doug Philips (Who Is A Tool)?? (Part 4)

Destiny

54 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Did he try for the CA bar (the only one that accepts Oak Brook JD grads) and fail?

The only place you can take the bar after graduating from oak Brook is CA? 

I know someone who went there. He did pass the bar and is now working for HSLDA.  I know the mother, not the guy, really. I know of him, lol. Anyway, I assumed he took the bar in VA where he lives and works. How does that work?

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Don't know a whole lot about him, but he seems to be quite the provocateur, always getting into heated Facebook "discussions" with people like David Botkin. 

This sounds....stultifying. 

Again, from the Oak Brook College of Law: 

Oak Brook graduates do experience some limitations in regards to practicing in various states. Currently, most states require the completion of a degree accredited by the American Bar Association before a graduate may sit for the bar exam. As the ABA currently will not accredit correspondence schools, graduates of Oak Brook are limited in the states in which they may practice and must initially become a member of the California Bar before other states may become open to them. Once graduates are members of the California Bar, however, there are additional states in which they may practice after passing that state’s exam. Some states allow this option immediately, others require some time period of active practice or licensing. In addition, our graduates have also been able to practice in some states that are not generally open to our students through practicing federal law, pro hac vice motions, and special petitions for the right to sit for the bar exam.

And more from their FAQ page: 

Can I really begin on a Juris Doctor degree right out of high school?

Well heck yes, of course you can (!) because indoctrination ALWAYS trumps maturity! 

Yes! Each year thousands of students graduate from high school and face the question, “What next?” For many, the destination of law school is clear, but the time and expense of obtaining an unrelated undergraduate degree presents a substantial hurdle and delay to reaching this goal. What if it were possible to avoid wasting time and resources on an unnecessary degree before entering law school? Could this be done? The answer is a resounding “yes!” In fact, most of Oak Brook’s alumni entered law school after high school, and graduated around the time their peers were just starting formal legal education. So how does it work? It’s actually quite simple. The State of California permits entrance into law school if a student can demonstrate sufficient pre-legal education. This can be done either through completing 60 semester credit hours of undergraduate work or by passing specified CLEP Examinations to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of basic undergraduate areas of study. The faculty and Board of Directors at Oak Brook College of Law are dedicated to providing a legal education that maximizes value and minimizes waste. For this reason, Oak Brook accepts students without an undergraduate degree if they have demonstrated equivalent intellectual achievement through undergraduate credit hours or the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). This makes it possible to enter law school with no debt from an undergraduate degree and graduate years ahead of schedule – which is precisely what so many of Oak Brook’s alumni have done, often making their first court appearance at a time when peers have not even finished their first year of legal training. Can you go to law school without wasting time and money on a degree you neither want nor need? YES. 

I can see how a distance education option could work for people who have been homeschooled.

The oldest Pennington son is going this route.  James Pennington (already a CPA) got his JD from Oak Brook and did pass the CA bar on the first try.  Not sure what else he has done, but he sued the IRS twice and won, so I'd say he is practicing Federal law. 

23 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

Anyway, I assumed he took the bar in VA where he lives and works. How does that work?

He might not actually be practicing at HSLDA.  He could possibly "waive in" to Virginia, if he practiced enough years in another state. Virginia is fairly strict about waiving in, I think. Usually that is 5 years with most states.    Both California and Virginia are tough bars. DC you can waive in to right away from Virginia.  He also could possibly appear with a Virginia attorney at proceedings  if the Virginia attorney made a motion for him to proceed pro hac vice--kind of cumbersome--

<<Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia Part 1A, Rule 1A:4.
Out-of-State Lawyers – When Allowed to Participate in a Case Pro Hac Vice.

(1)Introduction. A lawyer who is not a member of the Virginia State Bar, but is currently licensed and authorized to practice law in another state, territory, or possession of the United States of America (hereinafter called an “out-of-state lawyer”) may apply to appear as counsel pro hac vice in a particular case before any court, board or administrative agency (hereinafter called “tribunal”) in the Commonwealth of Virginia upon compliance with this rule.>>

that may be clear as mud and be a much longer answer than you wanted!

30 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

The only place you can take the bar after graduating from oak Brook is CA? 

CA is the only state that allows correspondence course law students, especially from non accredited schools, to take the bar.   It is right there in the disclosure section of Oak Brook's site.  http://www.obcl.edu/accreditation/

It is theoretically possible that the person you know passed the bar in CA and later in VA or get waived in.

HSLDA would hire someone who had only passed the CA bar.  They would have to hire lawyers who have passed the bar in the relevant state anyway if they pursue litigation.

39 minutes ago, Howl said:

James Pennington (already a CPA) got his JD from Oak Brook and did pass the CA bar on the first try.  Not sure what else he has done, but he sued the IRS twice and won, so I'd say he is practicing Federal law. 

James Pennington, Identity Abuser, Sovereign Citizen, tax resister extraordinaire, and probably unethical CPA, did win twice in court against the IRS on technicalities.  This was prior to his passing the CA Bar in 2014.

I don't think he is practicing law in TX at the moment.

This guy is young, he graduated and passed the bar in the last couple years since I've known his mother. He was already working at hslda during that time. Let me see if I can find his title... Senior legal assistant. So no, I guess he's not actually practicing. 

II always thought anyone could take the bar, but I learned all I know about it from John Grisham novels.

If you are going to take the bar from anything other than an ABA law school, in California,  you have to pass the "Baby Bar". That includes if you have done your legal studies under a judge or in a law office, but that is still possible. There was a judge in the state fairly recently who studied under another judge in lieu of law school.

Palimpsest is right. Hslda could use his CA practice in cases they have there. 

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I followed Natty on the Christian Reconstructionist Facebook until they made it private.  The people in that group were quite disgusting and so is he.

Edit to add:  

Dork is a very kind description of Darnell.  

Doesn't he have a failed courtship in his past?  I may be confusing him with someone else.

That group is now called "God's Law Not Man's Law" and Darnell is no longer an admin or mod. I imagine one might find it easier to be approved to join nowadays. (Not that you'd want to)

Rachel Gray dodged a bullet. She seems like a sweet girl and her family has been through enough lately; I'm grateful she didn't end up with that tool. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I don't think he is practicing law in TX at the moment.

Correct and I'm not sure that was  ever his intent.  I think he fancies himself the right guy to jerk the IRS around by blurring state/church boundaries for tax purposes and (reading between the lines here) I suspect Oak Brook College of Law promotes jerking the Feds and IRS around any way possible.  I thought originally it was something along the lines of Oak Brook School of Law and Public Policy

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

James Pennington, Identity Abuser, Sovereign Citizen, tax resister extraordinaire, and probably unethical CPA

I'd add in patriarchal dick, but that's just me. 

On 5/5/2017 at 4:07 PM, Quinquagenarian said:

<<Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia Part 1A, Rule 1A:4.
Out-of-State Lawyers – When Allowed to Participate in a Case Pro Hac Vice.  (snip)

Does this mean that the lawyer who is licensed in Virginia has to remain present in the courtroom with the out-of-state lawyer, or can they just hand it off to to the out-of-state lawyer and leave?

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

That group is now called "God's Law Not Man's Law" and Darnell is no longer an admin or mod. I imagine one might find it easier to be approved to join nowadays. (Not that you'd want to)

Thanks. Interesting that Darnell is no longer an admin or mod.  I don't think I'll try to join.  That group really wasn't good for my blood pressure.  

9 hours ago, Howl said:

I'd add in patriarchal dick, but that's just me. 

Careful.  James Pennington might get the impression we don't like him. ;)

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Careful.  James Pennington might get the impression we don't like him. ;)

I know, right?  And with changes coming to the First Amendment and all.....

So this may be old news, but I just visited the Doug WP profile and noticed two snarky Doug Phillips memes have managed to stay in the comments section of posts and elude deletion for a couple weeks now. 

54 minutes ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

So this may be old news, but I just visited the Doug WP profile and noticed two snarky Doug Phillips memes have managed to stay in the comments section of posts and elude deletion for a couple weeks now. 

He's been too busy purging his FB page at DW Cinematographer to check up on Doug WP. 

1 hour ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

Why do I have the feeling that "George McGregor's" real name would be familiar to us? :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, RebelliousEscapee said:

Cannot believe they are still up.   I really hope his younger daughter does not see that, if she has internet access at all. 

J-Tits graduates wearing a family heirloom robe and Beall makes sure to remind us of HARVARD.

4 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Why do I have the feeling that "George McGregor's" real name would be familiar to us? :pb_lol:

It's not me, this time.

On 5/6/2017 at 3:04 PM, DomWackTroll said:

J-Tits graduates wearing a family heirloom robe and Beall makes sure to remind us of HARVARD.

What?  No CollegePlus?

And yet Doug is STILL nowhere to be seen. Not one photo with Beall or the kids since he got home. 

No, he went to that faux Reformation Bible college in Florida that the Sproul women have attended.....

I'm fantasizing about a horrified Vesta Sproul calling Beall. "Hello, dear. Doug... won't be coming to the graduation, will he?"

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived