IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 26 - Double Baked Duggars

choralcrusader8613

18 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Even if Judy Blume's worst book wasn't the first thing I think of, you still couldn't pay me to wear such a condescending term.  Couldn't do it.  Not even ironically. 

No snark or attitude- can I ask why you see wifey as being condescending? I've never seen it that way, just wasn't sure if I was missing something. Is it worse than hubby, for example? 

I can see how hubby or wifey could be annoying to people, I'd just be interested in learning more about how it could be interpreted as condescending as well. TIA!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jessa seems to like Baggie shirts....unless she's prego, then they are as tight as can be!!  Lol

(Sorry for the snark. I just can't help myself.)

Honestly, after two back to back pregnancies, I can cut her a bit of slack in the fashion arena.  But then again.....isn't she a fashion expert?  Giving lectures on what to wear??  Now, how does that work? ......I'm confused!....hummmmmm

24 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Even if Judy Blume's worst book wasn't the first thing I think of, you still couldn't pay me to wear such a condescending term.  Couldn't do it.  Not even ironically. 

I can't tell you how much I love that jessa wears a tshirt that Judy Blume wrote a book about decades ago (and I read as a teenager or earlier :-) 

which btw I bought on amazon again.  Jessa will never read the book - but wear the damn tshirt - someone should tweet Judy blume and tell her who Jessa is and I bet dollars to doughnuts Judy Blume would laugh her ass of. 

I swear women just can't win. You're either too frumpy or too vain - maybe both at the same time! Your clothes are too baggy or they're too tight. Jinger was a stylish dresser but she shouldn't have been wearing only skirts and dresses, but now she's wearing pants so we're excited, buuuuuut she dresses like a middle aged woman and that's sad. Jessa cares too much about her appearance, buuuut she sometimes wears baggy clothes so she's obviously not spending enough time on her appearance. I'm getting whiplash. Hey, have we criticized Jill lately for not combing her hair enough? 

You know what? Some women love to spend time on their appearance. They love to choose the perfect outfit, spend an hour styling their hair, doing their makeup, etc. Some like to experiment with fashion in ways others might find unappealing. Some vary between putting a lot of time and effort into their appearance and going more casual. Some don't have the time, energy, or ability to do that. Some just don't care. Why does it matter? I don't care if Jessa takes 50 selfies a day and wears tight shirts and Jinger wears baggy pants and Jill has flyaway hair. I care about their beliefs and their actions. I'm not saying no one's allowed to comment on their appearance, I guess this is just a personal pet peeve for me. It smacks a bit of sexism.

Mr. Shrew & I call each other hubby & wifey, but those are our private nicknames for each other. I don't think we've ever used them in front of other people. I wouldn't wear a "wifey" shirt, though. Mainly because I prefer black t-shirts with nerdy stuff like Star Wars and LOTR, and skulls. Now if it was black with "wifey" in gothic letters dripping blood, surrounded by skulls...
And I know the pants mean nothing belief-wise, but I'm glad Jinger feels comfortable wearing them. I used to know lots of pants-only families (IFB). Sometimes the young women who married started wearing pants (not to church - that was a big no-no), others still followed the no-pants rule. I can't remember any of them saying it was because the husband was not ok with wearing pants. One friend said she felt naked and exposed in pants. That was 30 years ago, though. She's divorced, married to husband #2 (who is not fundie at all & not IFB) and wears pants & shorts. Another old friend still only wears skirts, but her teen daughter and her daughters-in-law all wear pants & shorts. 
For the record, I used to live in jeans & shorts. Outside of the office I still do. I wear mostly skirts to work because my boss doesn't want me to wear jeans & I hate dress pants.

32 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I swear women just can't win. You're either too frumpy or too vain - maybe both at the same time! Your clothes are too baggy or they're too tight. Jinger was a stylish dresser but she shouldn't have been wearing only skirts and dresses, but now she's wearing pants so we're excited, buuuuuut she dresses like a middle aged woman and that's sad. Jessa cares too much about her appearance, buuuut she sometimes wears baggy clothes so she's obviously not spending enough time on her appearance. I'm getting whiplash. Hey, have we criticized Jill lately for not combing her hair enough? 

You know what? Some women love to spend time on their appearance. They love to choose the perfect outfit, spend an hour styling their hair, doing their makeup, etc. Some like to experiment with fashion in ways others might find unappealing. Some vary between putting a lot of time and effort into their appearance and going more casual. Some don't have the time, energy, or ability to do that. Some just don't care. Why does it matter? I don't care if Jessa takes 50 selfies a day and wears tight shirts and Jinger wears baggy pants and Jill has flyaway hair. I care about their beliefs and their actions. I'm not saying no one's allowed to comment on their appearance, I guess this is just a personal pet peeve for me. It smacks a bit of sexism.

Thank you!  I don't see what is wrong with what Jinger is wearing, her pants fit fine, I thought she looked cute and appropriately dressed for her age and her outing. All of them did honestly.  While I don't care for the t-shirts and baggy skirt look, it is comfortable and that I get so more power to them, and I would rather see that than people out in their PJs and house slippers. 

@singsingsing.   I think the reason FJ gives you whiplash is because the Duggars themselves gives us whiplash.  They are all over the place with their crappy rules and stupid belief system.  They show an incredible lack of consistency in their clothing/hair/makeup choices.  They open themselves up to critisism all over the place.  Whether they are too modest/ not modest enough, too much makeup/not enough makeup,. Hair.....jewelry,. shorts/pants/skirts.....tight clothes....Baggie clothes. Wierd sayings on shirts, odd food choices.  They have very little consistency.  The only consistent thing is ridged gender roles!   Girls have to give the appearance of a Girl.  Boys must appear to be Boys.

I think we snark a lot out of frustration.   (I know I do,). They drive me batty!!!

I'd say she has it pretty darn together for having a 2 month old. I kind of assumed that skirts and baggy shirts were pretty standard attire for nursing moms that don't wear pants. It's much easier to do the 2 shirt trick with a baggy over shirt and skirts don't get in the way like a dress does. 

I wasn't trying to say that we should forget why we're here to snark on them, or anything very deep when I commented on their clothing. I'm not the queen of fashion by any stretch, and I definitely get why Jessa would want to be wearing comfortable clothes after just having a baby. I just didn't like their outfits and was commenting in a strictly superficial manner (and procrastinating on homework). 

58 minutes ago, WhyNotJulie said:

LOL. This guy could not look more unimpressed.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 3.42.44 PM.png

OH LORTTT!

If I found myself sitting beside TFDW on a plane, I would beg the attendants to drag me off, United Airlines Style. 

(too soon?)

6 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

No snark or attitude- can I ask why you see wifey as being condescending? I've never seen it that way, just wasn't sure if I was missing something. Is it worse than hubby, for example? 

Obviously words have different connotations for everybody, so if it doesn't seem like a condescending term for you, NBD!

For me, I think of that term as having sexist overtones. The word itself reads like an infantalized form of the word wife.  Calling someone a wifey would be saying that they are a good at  cooking and cleaning and keeping sweet for her man.  Fundies might think that was a complement, but I think it implies that that is all the wifey could ever be. 

Now, what people call their SO in private is up to them.  I'm certainly guilty of calling my husband all manner of silly things, and getting called all kinds of embarrassingly dopey names in private, so if hubby/wifey doesn't bother you, go for it!

I can live with the term "wifey" even though its a bit infantile for my taste-- I just don't feel to brag about my marital status.

2 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

OH LORTTT!

If I found myself sitting beside TFDW on a plane, I would beg the attendants to drag me off, United Airlines Style. 

(too soon?)

I would have said "Excuse me, this man is expressing extreme religious beliefs and praying out loud on the plane, and it is making me feel extremely unsafe".

If we're against religious extremists threatening our security, I say we get all equal opportunity about it.

13 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Jinger looks great! Jana is coordinated perfectly as usual but the lighting makes her hand look oddly white- looks like a mannequin hand to me lol. I'm not digging Jessa's T-shirt with "dressy" skirt look. 

It's been speculated that Jana wears gloves while gardening, so her hands are much paler than the rest of her exposed skin.

Poor guy! His eyes looked glazed over - after sitting for God knows how many hours next to TFDW, mine would be too.

Hah, could you imagine if the duggars have actually given up on all of their beliefs and are just keeping up appearances for the show? 

Well one thing they are giving up is the taboo about tv. If they went to Magnolia's they must have been watching Flip or Flop, or whatever it's called. That's a good thing. They can learn things they've been held back on all these years. Science. Actual History.

36 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

Well one thing they are giving up is the taboo about tv. If they went to Magnolia's they must have been watching Flip or Flop, or whatever it's called. That's a good thing. They can learn things they've been held back on all these years. Science. Actual History.

I'm not sure how much science and history they're going to learn from HGTV shows starring fellow conservative evangelical Christians.

On 4/13/2017 at 4:44 PM, Nikedagain? said:

OH LORTTT!

(too soon?)

Deep Philosophical question: If you proselytize  and witness to an unwilling participant and there's no selfie.... did it really happen???

On 4/13/2017 at 3:58 PM, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Obviously words have different connotations for everybody, so if it doesn't seem like a condescending term for you, NBD!

For me, I think of that term as having sexist overtones. The word itself reads like an infantalized form of the word wife.  Calling someone a wifey would be saying that they are a good at  cooking and cleaning and keeping sweet for her man.  Fundies might think that was a complement, but I think it implies that that is all the wifey could ever be. 

Now, what people call their SO in private is up to them.  I'm certainly guilty of calling my husband all manner of silly things, and getting called all kinds of embarrassingly dopey names in private, so if hubby/wifey doesn't bother you, go for it!

Oh dear, I'm afraid I did not know I was so back woods ignorant. I have been a wife for 44 years and 10 months and have been blissfully happy to be called that every time. Back in the day before I became more knowledgeable about the fundie world being a wife meant a married women, plain and simple. A wife can be a doctor, a teachers bus driver, the possibilities are endless and for some reason that has now changed?  The word "wifey" is not really condescending to me but maybe a little silly. Jessa is calling herself Wifey not calling anyone else that. It is just not a big enough thing to get indigestion over. I personally never liked t-shirts and skirts together but then again, I'm not the one wearing it. 

1 hour ago, sansan said:

Oh dear, I'm afraid I did not know I was so back woods ignorant. I have been a wife for 44 years and 10 months and have been blissfully happy to be called that every time. Back in the day before I became more knowledgeable about the fundie world being a wife meant a married women, plain and simple. A wife can be a doctor, a teachers bus driver, the possibilities are endless and for some reason that has now changed?  The word "wifey" is not really condescending to me but maybe a little silly. Jessa is calling herself Wifey not calling anyone else that. It is just not a big enough thing to get indigestion over. I personally never liked t-shirts and skirts together but then again, I'm not the one wearing it. 

Yes, Wifey can be used in a condescending way, any word can depending on context or delivery, I have no issue with being called Wifey, my husband will cal me this and has for the 20 years we have been married, I will say something Hubby and he will answer yes Wifey. I think for many of us that haven't heard the term used in a derogatory way don't find any issue with the word,

14 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Poor guy! His eyes looked glazed over - after sitting for God knows how many hours next to TFDW, mine would be too.

He probably thought he was about to find true salvation when the plane landed (Lord, show me to the airport exit), then David wanted to take a selfie with him.

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived