IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 26 - Double Baked Duggars

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Just finished watching the latest Midwife, where they referred to the elderly primagravida of 36. Times have changed.

Huh, I thought that term was (crazily) still in use!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still used for a woman over 35 with a first pregnancy.  It still sounds funny to me.

@patsymae not as far as I know, but most of the ladies in question were of predominantly Norwegian/Danish extraction, so there's probably some shared ancestry somewhere along the line :kitty-wink:

I'll just add that my mother didn't hit menopause until she was in her mid sixties, so there are definitely genetics at play on that edge of my family.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Just finished watching the latest Midwife, where they referred to the elderly primagravida of 36. Times have changed.

This is what my chart said with my first. I was 34 at conception & 35 at delivery. I'm 37 now and pregnant with our second. I'm a little afraid of what it says now! 

I was a change of life baby. My mother was 43, and that was really old back then (1948).

My mother had my youngest sister when she was 47 and my brother when she was 49. And she didn't realize she was pregnant with my sister till she was crowning. It was the weirdest day of my life to date. Lol

My grandmother told me of a conversation between her aunts.

One asked the other why she had her children so close in age.She responded..I'd rather run through the fire,than walk through it.So whenever my grandmother saw someone having children...close in age ....She say She is running through the fire.

Another conversation...One of the aunts had a baby...at 42.Her sister told her she had disgraced the family etc etc.Lo and behold..the same the happened to her!!She also had a baby at 42.

My cousin had her last child at 42.Her sister had her last child at 39.She said they were too old to have anymore after that.

I have a friend and she had her first at 18 and her last at 40.I know someone that had her first at 21 and recently had her second at 37.

10 hours ago, colliemae said:

This is what my chart said with my first. I was 34 at conception & 35 at delivery. I'm 37 now and pregnant with our second. I'm a little afraid of what it says now! 

My sister was "advanced maternal age" when she got pregnant with #1 she was 35 at conception and due the day after she turned 36, she had him 2 weeks early. With #2 she was also advanced maternal age she was 36 at conception and 37 when sassy pants was born.  This was 1 nice thing about having my kids in my late 20's never got any flack from my doctors about age and shit, I got it for a lot of other reasons by my age was never one of them. 

14 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think they called mine a "geriatric pregnancy" when I had my first child at 38 years old. :pb_rollseyes:

30 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I think they called mine a "geriatric pregnancy" when I had my first child at 38 years old. :pb_rollseyes:

Then I don't want to know what they called mine at 43.  I know I called it a miracle. :)

I once asked my grandmother why she had so many kids. She looked me dead in the eye, smirked, and said "Well we didn't have a TV..." It was probably two years later when I sat bolt upright and realized she was talking about sex.

I miss that crazy lady :my_heart:

ETA: I forgot to put why this was relevant. She started at twenty and ended at forty. While having your first kid at forty would be considered strange, having your eighth kid at that age, not so much, especially not for a good Catholic lady before Vatican II.

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I was a change of life baby. My mother was 43, and that was really old back then (1948).

My mom was in the same boat (1948 and a late baby, her closest sibling is 9 years older then her).

My mom had her children at 25, 35, and 40. I'm the baby- people used to think my sister was my mom!

2 hours ago, KeshetParparNesicha said:

@SuhrEnity That sounds like quite a story! Care to elaborate?

My mother is clearly super fertile as there are 7 of us: 6 girls, 1 boy. She thought she was done having kids after number 5 was born. We were all much older by the time number 6 was surprising us with her entrance ( our ages were 29, 27, 18, 17 and 12). My mum was already going through menopause so any changes in her body she attributed to "the change". Literally everything was poor menopauses fault lol. One day she woke up with a really bad back ache. It wouldn't go away throughout the day so eventually she let us take her to the hospital. She lay down to be examined, her water immediately broke and by the time they looked right after that my sister was crowning. Explaining where this baby came from to people was impossible cause no one could believe it. Lol

I was also called "elderly" when pregnant with my second baby at 35. My doctor nervously apologized for the terminology. 

I grew up with a boy who had a sister 10 yrs older and a brother 10 yrs younger. Only 3 kids. 

16 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Huh, I thought that term was (crazily) still in use!

It is.  I've also heard the term geriatric parturiant used.  You're still considered high risk after 35.  Seems ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, JMO said:

I grew up with a boy who had a sister 10 yrs older and a brother 10 yrs younger. Only 3 kids. 

My mom's family is really spread, her oldest sibling was 19 when she was born (sister) and then her brother was 14 or 16 at that point, her next brother was 9, then she came along. My mom was born in 1948, so not the norm back then! (my mom was a replacement child though, her closest brother had a twin that died from Polio when he was 6).  When my mom would visit her sister (after she had gotten married and had kids right away, oldest nephew is only 1 year younger than my mom), they would get some looks!! My aunt had twins as her second set and the oldest boy and then was pregnant again and then my mom would visit, I'm sure they were quite a sight!

9 hours ago, SuhrEnity said:

My mother had my youngest sister when she was 47 and my brother when she was 49. And she didn't realize she was pregnant with my sister till she was crowning. It was the weirdest day of my life to date. Lol

I will be 48 next week and I completely understand how that happened.  I have missed a few periods and the time in between them is getting longer.  I have been having hormonal changes for the last few years and fluctuating weight.  I would not think I am pregnant.  I would think it is change of life.  i am glad I do not have to worry about it as I took care of that care of after #4 20 some years ago.

Love weird family stories. My collegue met this woman who had her first baby at 50 after decades of prayer and waiting. Then she had two more in very quick succession. Now she is praying for it to stop. My collegue had to double check her story because she couldn't believe it at first. Fertility can be a really weird thing.

Women in my family have periods into their sixties, so I will have to remain vigilant. I could go straight from pads into incontinence pants.

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived