IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I remember when she shopped for the dress. She dragged the kids along and they were rolling on the floor, totally bored. I thought how annoyed I'd be if I were  a customer.  No one did anything to divert them or make them stop.

Oh my god, I felt so bad for those kids. Of course Michelle and JB just wanted to show off all their kids, so they took them. All those little kids hated it and JB was sooo annoying. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, send*the*ferrets said:

I would pay to see the looks on their faces if a fan went up and hugged them! 

Run up and hug one of hte guys, as a female and then do that excited rocking back and fourth and back rub. If boob wasn't such a creep I'd want to do it to him.  I'm not gay but I'm not above flirting with Michelle just to creep her out, but do it while gushing about her Godliness and how modest is hottest. :pb_lol: 

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

To me, it seems more like Joy has a completely different body shape than the older J'slaves, which makes it even more absurd that she has to dress out of the communal closet. But there's no room for individuality with the Duggars.

This immediately brings to mind a memorable scene from "Life Of Brian". Brian's talking/yelling to his followers, "You don't need me. You're all individuals." The crowd chants back, "Yes, we're all individuals." (Keep in mind that this quote is coming from memory, so it might not be 100% correct.)

Does anyone else remember how back in one of the earlier episodes Michelle (& maybe Anna?) said "individuality" in an odd (to me) way? ("In-da-vid-gee-al-it-tee") Is it an Arkansas thing, or am I reading too much into it?  :: shrugs & goes back to coloring ::

33 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

This immediately brings to mind a memorable scene from "Life Of Brian". Brian's talking/yelling to his followers, "You don't need me. You're all individuals." The crowd chants back, "Yes, we're all individuals." (Keep in mind that this quote is coming from memory, so it might not be 100% correct.)

Does anyone else remember how back in one of the earlier episodes Michelle (& maybe Anna?) said "individuality" in an odd (to me) way? ("In-da-vid-gee-al-it-tee") Is it an Arkansas thing, or am I reading too much into it?  :: shrugs & goes back to coloring ::

I love that movie.  Some roomies and I once found a stray cat, and we called him Brian because of the movie.

2 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Yikes! I read an article once that opined that men stay in a rut, so to speak, about what they find attractive, and it's usually what was in style during their late teens or early 20's. 

None of my boyfriends from the 80's want me to revive that look. I know, because every time one of them gets divorced, they contact me on Facebook. I haven't had one request for crimped hair. I wish though. Now it sounds fun all of a sudden. 

I think this applies to women as well. Especially Michelle. I remember her makeover episode and she got a new hairdo. She looked 10 years younger and modern. Jimboob gave some standard "you're always beautiful" kind of answer and then "but I like it how it was." That was the end of that... sadly.

21 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Not even themselves.

Jill looks cute in this photo^

Are Michelle and JB's faces switched?

5 hours ago, mpheels said:

Jinger and Jessa are very "fine boned" like Michelle while Joy, Jana, and Jill are not (though Jill's height makes it less noticeable). I've always felt bad for Jana because she was made to feel bad about her weight, and I suspect part of it was based on comparisons to Michelle. I worry that Joy has faced similar pressure, with the focus being on weight/size and not health. It really sucks when your in good shape/health, but people can't see it because of the shape of your frame. I'm short but have broad shoulders and hips. At my lowest adults weight, I was still borderline obese according to the charts, despite being very fit in terms of physical ability (i.e. I could pass Army fitness requirements if I needed to) and having body composition within a healthy range. 

Yes,I agree.I see the difference in body types with Jessa and JInger.I think Joy and Jana are just bigger,not fat,they are just shaped differently.

When I was 18,I weighed 128,and I am about 5'5.I constantly had people tell me I needed to lose weight,not some massive amount,but 10 lbs or so.Because of my body type,I did not look slim.I met my husband around this time,and he has always loved my curves...lol.In my 30's,I lost a lot of weight,and was about 115....I looked sick.My collar bone and ribs were more prominent,my dark circles under my eyes,too.I just did not look healthy at that weight...for my body type.

Hmm, I always thought I had a similar figure to Jill (pre-pregnancy, as I've never been pregnant) - small frame but tall with long limbs and sort of wide-ish hips. Joy-Anna seems to have an hourglass figure whereas her sisters are more rectangular or slightly pear-shaped. I agree Joy shouldn't have to pick from the communal closet, but the clothes she wears seem to flatter her and fit her well.

I think it's sick that anyone would tell their daughters that they need to lose weight. That makes me crazy. These cults are ridiculous. 

Body types: I'm 5'5" tall and when I was in shape I still weighed about 160lbs. I'm broad shouldered, narrow hipped, muscular. I was a competitive swimmer for years growing up...At that weight I wore size 7-9 pants and XL tops (thank you shoulders and D-cups). I had my body fat done then because a doctor was CONVINCED I was "obese" based on BMI charts...I was running about 23% body fat then...Now I really am fat...210lbs. thing is, I hide it well...being big framed hides a lot of weight. 

I'm obese but I'm so small looking that no one really notices.  A blessing and a curse.  If only I didn't love food so much.  

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I remember when she shopped for the dress. She dragged the kids along and they were rolling on the floor, totally bored. I thought how annoyed I'd be if I were  a customer.  No one did anything to divert them or make them stop.

I remember that, too! Michelle was oblivious to her kids and just stared at herself in the mirror. I think there are pictures of it. Kids hunched over in chairs and Michelle smiling away looking at herself. I remember thinking, "this woman is a real sicko for attention." 

Am I mistaken or did Michelle try on wedding dresses when one of her daughters was getting married? 

22 minutes ago, Pasta said:

I think it's sick that anyone would tell their daughters that they need to lose weight. That makes me crazy. These cults are ridiculous. 

If your child is overweight and unhealthy (or just unhealthy), then I do think the parents should take steps to try and implement a healthier lifestyle - along with the child and their Doctor. No shaming or blaming needed.

But telling your perfectly healthy child to lose weight because of their actual body type abd your own prejudices? Buuuuuuuull shiiiiiiiiiit!

5 hours ago, Greendoor said:

I remember that episode too.  John David said, "I think when the kids start having kids it's time for the parents to stop."  I wonder if that has been cut in re-runs.

That must have cost him family status.  

Wow! I don't remember that.

5 hours ago, Greendoor said:

I remember that episode too.  John David said, "I think when the kids start having kids it's time for the parents to stop."  I wonder if that has been cut in re-runs.

That must have cost him family status.  

That's some JD gold right there.

I still maintain that he would be in his element on the infield at the Daytona 500 with an old Piggly Wiggly free give away lawn chair and a yeti full of Bud. 

Coming out of lurkdom....FWIW, and I've said this before, the one time I saw Jana Duggar in person (right before Jessa's wedding) she was tee-tiny, not just slim, but small all over. 

@lizzybee never seen jana in real life but I've always thought she seemed very slim and slender and was kind of surprised when everyone said they felt she was a little more thick/bigger boned/ not remembering the terminology they were using. She seems very petite. 

6 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

@lizzybee never seen jana in real life but I've always thought she seemed very slim and slender and was kind of surprised when everyone said they felt she was a little more thick/bigger boned/ not remembering the terminology they were using. She seems very petite. 

She is. Anna, the only other female family member I've seen in person (same day), is what I would call more average sized (not talking about weight here). If you see her pictured next to Michelle or her SIL's you see what I mean. 

Spoiler

IMG_7056.jpg

Spoiler

20161105-Photography-By-Britton-TLC-022.jpg

Spoiler

CbTKiw_UAAArxWP.jpg

7 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Yeah, I always find those comments strange as well. Jana seems very petite (in terms of height, bone structure, and weight). I wonder if people assume she is curvier than she is because she has fuller cheeks?

I've never thought any of the Duggar daughters seemed to be even close to overweight. 

I think in the earlier specials Jana weighed a little more than what she does now. And at one point Michelle mentioned how she was going with Jana to weight watchers which further fueled speculation that they were shaming her to lose weight. And I think it's been mentioned that the girls watch what they eat?? She definitely is petite- I just think that anyone looks not petite next to Jinger because she is so so slim. And on a random Bates tangent- they seem to eat even worse than the Duggars. Like zero veggies.  I don't know how they stay fit. 

As far as parents telling their kids to lose weight- I Have always been chubby but not a huge amount but put more weight on these last few years. Anyways, when I was about 11 my parents sat me down for a serious talk. The gist was watch what you eat, you're overweight; eat less carbs; eat less dessert. I was a sensitive kid who already was self conscious and just starting puberty and it crushed me. I felt like every thing I ate was judged silently. My parents didn't cut back on their own carbs or dessert. They didn't change the meals to be healthier. They didn't enroll me in extra sports. And to this day, I think about that talk and I still cry. It permanently damaged things between my mom and I. I finally told her a few years ago (after another weight comment) that I was never discussing my weight again with her. My fiancé is thin but who knows what body type our future kids will have? I plan on encouring healthy foods and sports so that they can be healthy, not to look a certain way. That is what is most important. Ok sorry rant over. 

Joy definitely has lost weight. There is a TLC video on Youtube where Joy gives a laundry room tour and she has a much different body than she does now. But we also watched her go through puberty and not during the "shaped like a tent jumper" phase.  She seems to have slimmed more after Jessa started courting Ben, as did Jessa. (They started working out). In one of the more recent episodes of Counting On, it was mentioned that Jinger started to run more before her wedding.

@msteeI'm sorry your parents didn't handle it better. Sometimes parents mean well, but mess up anyways. Your worth isn't determined by your physical appearance, but by who you are and how you treat others. Don't let anyone - even well-meaning parents - tell you otherwise.

As for the Bateses, I'm guessing a combination of physical activity and portion size. And possibly Erin feeding her siblings healthier options when they visit her.

I'd forgotten about Jill's bridesmaid dresses. Poor Jana had an impossible task trying to make them modest.

3 hours ago, lizzybee said:

Coming out of lurkdom....FWIW, and I've said this before, the one time I saw Jana Duggar in person (right before Jessa's wedding) she was tee-tiny, not just slim, but small all over. 

I've never seen Jana in real life but every time people say they've seen her in real life, I find it interesting that what's always said is that she's super tiny, very much so than what they expected. Jana I believe is the shortest out of all her sisters, even Joy. However, in some pics she looks a hair taller, guess it depends on the shoes. Has it been said how tall she is? I'd say 5'3 or even 5'2. Michelle and Amy are 5'2.

I didn't realize how tiny they all were until I saw the clip of Jinger and Jeremy being all touchy-feely during the cooking lesson. Jeremy's huge compared to Jinger (partially in that he's 6'3", but still).

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived