IGNORED

Seewalds 19: Dust Bunnies and Babies

Destiny

We do a load or two a day for 7 people, 4 of which are 5 and under. The babies go through a few outfits a day due to drool, spit up and diaper explosions (this is not a super regular occurrence), the middleish boy goes to an outdoor preschool and gets clothes wet and dirty and the 5 year old is just a normal messy kiddo. 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six of us, and I generally used to to two loads a day. School uniforms and work clothes, play clothes, bedding, towels, it was always a full hamper somewhere! Now that all Four do their own laundry, I swear there are even MORE loads done, as they think nothing of doing a tiny load to get a pair of jeans clean.

Jessa does instagram right. It's all photos and videos of her kids being cute and not in dangerous positions *cough* Jill *cough*

24 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Jessa does instagram right. It's all photos and videos of her kids being cute and not in dangerous positions *cough* Jill *cough*

until you see a video of Henry on the couch alone while Spurge goes over to him. 

1 minute ago, nst said:

until you see a video of Henry on the couch alone while Spurge goes over to him. 

I don't think Jessa is dumb enough to post this, even if she did take a video of said event. 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't think Jessa is dumb enough to post this, even if she did take a video of said event. 

remember the out put in put episode of counting on - where they were in the kitchen talking to the camera while Spurge was a baby and lying on the couch alone. 

2 minutes ago, nst said:

remember the out put in put episode of counting on - where they were in the kitchen talking to the camera while Spurge was a baby and lying on the couch alone. 

Was he really alone? Or was Jana off camera? :P 

4 minutes ago, nst said:

Right, I forgot they had a habit of leaving Elliot alone on the couch.

58 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Six of us, and I generally used to to two loads a day. School uniforms and work clothes, play clothes, bedding, towels, it was always a full hamper somewhere! Now that all Four do their own laundry, I swear there are even MORE loads done, as they think nothing of doing a tiny load to get a pair of jeans clean.

Six of us in a wide age range and we do probably 5-10 loads a week, depending. (Spring and summer here make for much more laundry.) We do lots of evening baths/showers with clean jammies so I don't wash sheets every single week and I try to save up the whites and darks and delicates until I can run a full load of each. One load a day is pretty average. 

There are 4 of us here, but with 2 little boys, I feel like laundry is my life sometimes. I do at least a load a day.

15 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Six of us in a wide age range and we do probably 5-10 loads a week, depending. (Spring and summer here make for much more laundry.) We do lots of evening baths/showers with clean jammies so I don't wash sheets every single week and I try to save up the whites and darks and delicates until I can run a full load of each. One load a day is pretty average. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I always get the weirdest looks when I tell people that we do a lot of evening baths here. I had no idea that was such a different thing to do.

1 hour ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

There are 4 of us here, but with 2 little boys, I feel like laundry is my life sometimes. I do at least a load a day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I always get the weirdest looks when I tell people that we do a lot of evening baths here. I had no idea that was such a different thing to do.

Wait, are you saying it's unusual to bathe your kid in the evenings? I do that too and that's what we did growing up. I thought that's what most people did.

Yeah, I thought most kids were bathed in the evening. Mornings are usually too busy, plus you get all the dirt washed off them before you tuck them into bed.

We usually did evening baths, but one daughter also had to have a bath in the morning before school until she quit wetting the bed.

Oh, and I forgot the sports clothes, the band uniform undergarments, and so on. Always something stinky to wash!

Speaking of baths, I feel bad for Izzy being made to take cold showers in CA (as well as the rest of the super young local kids). Why can't DerJill boil some big pots of water and pour them into a little tub for him?? Or give him a hot sponge bath? 

I was also surprise with the cold showers too! We had a time back when I was younger where we had to get our water heater replaced and my parents would do that for us three for as long as it had to.

On 2017-02-28 at 6:15 PM, Carm_88 said:

Big, deep philosophical question here; where do missing socks go? 

Miniway has inherited his fathers annoying habbit of leaving his socks everywhere. I had like ten singles the last time I did washing. I think they go under the sofa/bed and turn to dust. 

On 2017-02-28 at 10:05 PM, lumpentheologie said:

My building has front-loading washing machines and socks are always getting stuck in the gap around the front seal.  Since I started searching there I usually find at least one soaking-wet sock at the end of every load. 

I don't understand why the table treats sweatshirts and sweaters so differently.  I wash my sweaters after one or two wears -- usually they're fairly form-fitting cardigans that I wear over a tank top, whereas my sweatshirts are bigger and I don't wear them much out of the house anyway.  Basically anything that touches my armpits gets worn twice, tops.  Pants/jeans/skirts can be worn until stained/mud gets on them. Bras I rotate so I don't wear the same one two days in a row (it's better for the elastic that way), but I'll wear each 6-8 times before washing.  Socks I can usually wear twice, but I wear almost exclusively wool socks, and I think those take longer to smell.  I don't really sweat, either. 

I do take issue with never washing coats.  Coats can get gross, especially when you're wearing them every day. I try to wash mine or have them cleaned every 2 years or so. 

I don't understand how some people do so much laundry. I do maybe 1-2 loads a week on average. There are definitely times I don't do any laundry for weeks and then do 4-5 loads. But I've been known to buy new underwear instead of doing laundry, so there's that.  I must have around 50 pairs of underwear. 

This has always been my tactic too. Especially when we had to go to the communal laundry room. :)

After working in retail, I can't wear new clothes without washing them first. Especially underwear. It's mostly because of the overpowering chemical smell and grungy feeling on my hands as I opened package after package of new clothes. 

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

After working in retail, I can't wear new clothes without washing them first. Especially underwear. It's mostly because of the overpowering chemical smell and grungy feeling on my hands as I opened package after package of new clothes. 

Maybe you can answe this then.  I bought a pair of jeans that smelled like moth balls.  I've washed them 3 times and they still smell like my grandmas house.  Is it normal for them to pack in moth balls?  Any tricks to get out the scent?  It's making my other stuff in the wash stink.

1 hour ago, Incognito22 said:

Maybe you can answe this then.  I bought a pair of jeans that smelled like moth balls.  I've washed them 3 times and they still smell like my grandmas house.  Is it normal for them to pack in moth balls?  Any tricks to get out the scent?  It's making my other stuff in the wash stink.

I work in retail too (goods and returns management, so I'm the first person that interacts with new clothes). We returned a whole batch of jackets yesterday because the smell was just too much. If the smell is really bad, take them back to the store for a refund. 

Most of our clothes don't smell at all, some do but the smell goes away quickly. I work in a high end store, so even the really expensive stuff smells sometimes. (I did notice a difference between brands tough.) I have never seen clothes in packaging with moth balls. Sometimes they put every piece in a separate plastic bag or those little things who prevent moisture. 

Yeah, I have to wash new clothes. They don't feel like mine until they smell like my detergent. Plus it feels weird. I don't know why.

I think one of my daughters has enough pairs of panties for at least a month.  I have about 6 pairs but only because the last time I bought underpants there were 6 pairs in the package.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I think one of my daughters has enough pairs of panties for at least a month.  I have about 6 pairs but only because the last time I bought underpants there were 6 pairs in the package.

I was so confused the first time I read this because it sounded like you didn't have ANY underwear before you bought the 6 pack lol. Are you saying the last time you bought undies you got rid of your previous pairs?

1 hour ago, Gobbles said:

I work in retail too (goods and returns management, so I'm the first person that interacts with new clothes). We returned a whole batch of jackets yesterday because the smell was just too much. If the smell is really bad, take them back to the store for a refund. 

Most of our clothes don't smell at all, some do but the smell goes away quickly. I work in a high end store, so even the really expensive stuff smells sometimes. (I did notice a difference between brands tough.) I have never seen clothes in packaging with moth balls. Sometimes they put every piece in a separate plastic bag or those little things who prevent moisture. 

Yeah it was from whitehouse black market.  Their stuff is susally great.  Thanks for the advice.  I didn't think I could take them back after I had washed them several times.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I could definitely go a month. I don't but I could! :P 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived