IGNORED

Seewalds 19: Dust Bunnies and Babies

Destiny

A washer repair guy told my mother once that small items like socks often get spun up and over the washer drum in regular (top loading) machines.  I seem to recall the proof of that was - yup - socks elsewhere in the machine when he repaired it.  

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My building has front-loading washing machines and socks are always getting stuck in the gap around the front seal.  Since I started searching there I usually find at least one soaking-wet sock at the end of every load. 

I don't understand why the table treats sweatshirts and sweaters so differently.  I wash my sweaters after one or two wears -- usually they're fairly form-fitting cardigans that I wear over a tank top, whereas my sweatshirts are bigger and I don't wear them much out of the house anyway.  Basically anything that touches my armpits gets worn twice, tops.  Pants/jeans/skirts can be worn until stained/mud gets on them. Bras I rotate so I don't wear the same one two days in a row (it's better for the elastic that way), but I'll wear each 6-8 times before washing.  Socks I can usually wear twice, but I wear almost exclusively wool socks, and I think those take longer to smell.  I don't really sweat, either. 

I do take issue with never washing coats.  Coats can get gross, especially when you're wearing them every day. I try to wash mine or have them cleaned every 2 years or so. 

I don't understand how some people do so much laundry. I do maybe 1-2 loads a week on average. There are definitely times I don't do any laundry for weeks and then do 4-5 loads. But I've been known to buy new underwear instead of doing laundry, so there's that.  I must have around 50 pairs of underwear. 

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

A washer repair guy told my mother once that small items like socks often get spun up and over the washer drum in regular (top loading) machines.  I seem to recall the proof of that was - yup - socks elsewhere in the machine when he repaired it.  

That's happened to me twice in 13 years.  The washer repair guy told me to wash small clothes in mesh bags.  I don't. But I guess I should.  

My mom started putting her socks in a lingerie bags along with other things she didn't want to disappear in the laundry. Seems to work well for her.

49 minutes ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I give my solo socks to house elves!  

I'd give one to Jenni, Jordan, Josie and Hannie.  Oh and to Jana.  MeMe Michele can lift her damn ass off the couch and do her own house work.  So can JB and the boys.

Hahah I can't believe I missed this but that wiggle by Spurgeon at the end! Adorable! 

Spurgeon is adorable!! Whatever else those two are doing, he appears to be a happy baby who knows he is loved.

Spurgeon is seriously so gorgeous. I know we only see little glimpses but he seems like the sweetest kid.

13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Wonder if Ben had SES's temperament when he was a little one?

Ben is pretty laid back; so I would imagine that he was a pretty easy going kid. It definitely doesn't seem like Jessa's temperament 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Wonder if Ben had SES's temperament when he was a little one?

I think Ben was an intense young man 

SES it seems is his own little man 

maybe it's just love that he feels 

So cute! And thanks FJ for keeping me occupied while the power is out from the massive storm that just blew through!

My guess would be that Jessa could be pregnant with nr. 3 at Joy's wedding. After Spurgy and the Force , what will they name their third son? Yes, son. Ben wants 15 sons, he shall have 15 sons and no daughters.

We do 3 loads a week of whites, colours, darks and sometimes an additional towels/sheets overflow one for 2 people. I think it's funny how much variation there is on here. Maybe it depends on if you are adding lounge around the house or athletic clothes to the day wear/ pajamas basics. 

38 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

We do 3 loads a week of whites, colours, darks and sometimes an additional towels/sheets overflow one for 2 people. I think it's funny how much variation there is on here. Maybe it depends on if you are adding lounge around the house or athletic clothes to the day wear/ pajamas basics. 

We do between three and five loads a week for two persons. Often i collect dirty white or black clothes because i so not have enough for one full load. This means that sometimes i wear three or more days only black/white sweatshirts/tshirts... because i want to wash the white/black things and reduce my laundry pile. Five loads a week are rare, but the exist. Especially when we do some sport. There was a time when both of us were doing sport about three times a week. Drying and collecting our sport outfits was not always possible. Small apartment, wet or cold weather and stinky sweaty sport outfits don't make a good combination. That was the time when i ignored my own only-full-washing-machines-are-energy-efficient rule. 

On February 28, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Foudeb said:

I don't get 80 loads a week either. I do a load / week for the two of us - not including bedsheets as they're a load on their own.

Total of 5 loads / month for 2 people.

that would be 55 loads / month for 22 people. About 2 loads / day, which is a lot, but surely still manageable if you don't iron it and get the littles to sort the socks. I think I could do that on top of my full-time job and other chores around the house.

Even if the little kids get dirty all the time surely their clothes would be smaller meaning you can get more of them in a load? Also I was under the impression that they had huge washing machines.

I have two small children and despite their tiny size, they generate a lot of laundry. They get feet wet outside or spill food on themselves regularly. I also have a husband who wears a bulky work uniform, athletic clothes,and also normal clothing (lots of repeat wearing for those but still). I alone hold it down for the small laundry footprint in my family. So to me, the number doesn't seem so far off, especially considering that most of the adult children do hard labor type jobs during the day and the kids clearly do whatever they want. I'm sure they were much more money conscious in the pre-TV era re: re wearing, but now, meh.

Hmm you may have a point. Also, if most of them never do laundry they probably don't realise how tedious it is and don't consciously try to minimise it. As in, there's an unspecified item of clothing? no point identifying it or sniffing it, if in doubt just put in the hamper (or let it on the floor for one of the J-slaves to pick up), it will magically re-appear, clean, in the closet in a few days.

Say what you want about Jessa and Bin but those two really love their sons, Spurgey is such a happy sunny baby. Again, I'm sooo mad they're in that cult. I hope they get their wish of a bunch of sons and at least end up like the Arndts (not the best fundies but they get to LIVE).

And I can't believe I'm defendind Bin and Jessa, never thought that day would come:pb_lol:

I know a few people had commented wondering if Jessa would still be all attached to SES after the new baby was born. I'm glad it at least appears to show that she still has interest in Spud and didn't ditch him for Henry. Hopefully she stays connected to all her children always.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:43 PM, Iamtheway said:

But that's probably exactly what they dream about. A boy that's just like daddy (except not related) to come side hug them, court them, marry them, impregnate them umphteen times and eventually dry hump them in front of one of their blessings and their courtee. :output_eeMbjt:

:roll:

There was a Simpsons episode on the other night where Lisa told Marge she had a crush and Marge immediately went, "Oh, on your father? All little girls love their father." Urp. 

Jessa's love and enjoyment of Spurgeon hasn't really changed. As far as I can see anyway. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived