IGNORED

Seewalds 17 - My Name is No

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

Smokey likes to chew cell phone charging cords, we've replaced 5 in the last month and attacking people's feet for absolutely no reason. For the most part they're pretty loveable though.

Romeo do it too! I develop a special fellowship with my sock for this reason!

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of anything but William Wilberforce when I hear the name. Still wouldn't give it to a child. I think Spurgeon or Wilberforce or Tozer are great middle names. That middle name slot exists for a reason. Problem is, if you use it as a middle name, most people in day-to-day life won't know how super holy and special you are. 

I guess Spurgeon could go by 'Spur'. That kind of fits the current manly cowboy trend for naming boys (Maverick, Cash, Axel, Dallas, Stetson...)

Not sure a weird middle name is better as it usually gets used at important events. Even if you've kept it secret everyone then gets to hear it (graduation, wedding etc).

I have a friend called Aurora. Everyone jumps to Princess Aurora, how nice. 

Nope, she's named after the Northern Lights and her middle name is Borealis.

Dear Yahoo,

Why?

Sincerely,

They aren't that famous - why do you assholes have them on your homepage?!

IMG_7736.PNG

Aww, this thread is making me sad and hungry. I've always wanted a cat, but I'm really allergic :crying-yellow: I can still fulfill my dream of having two corgis named Maisie and Templeton, though. One day.

And I honestly don't blame Ben and Jessa for holding off on the name for this long. They might have decided this long ago in case the baby was 5 or more days late (though I would be shocked at that amount of foresight). And it's the one area in their life that they can control. A good chunk of their lives is controlled by TLC or their helmet-haired overlord JimBob. Not to mention they're both from large families, so having the attention on you for once... I don't blame them. I just want to see if they pick something as ridiculous as Spurgeon.

Now I'm hungry again! :( I don't know why I even opened this thread. 

On the topic of kitties, my two slept on either side of me last night. It's nice in theory, not so nice when you're penned in. And they snore! Aw well, won't happen every night! 

A few thoughts while catching up (this thread is moving so fast!)

I also don't blame Jessa and Ben for holding the name, because of the lack of control they've had in their lives, this is their moment to own something. It's annoying for sure, but I get it.

My two furbaby cats also love watching us in bed. We just ignore them, but it definitely spoils a mood when they are spotted because I really can't control my laughter every time.

I legitimately cannot picture a 9 year old running around the house and them calling him Spurgy. Or Spurgeon. Or a 15 year old teen. Or a 20something girl telling her parents how she just met the love of her life, named Spurgeon Seewald. I just can't. I hate the name, but he's a cute baby, so you can ignore the #Spurgyness of it. But as an older child/teen/adult/Grandpa Spurgeon? I simply cannot.

I had In n Out first when I was 22 and thought it was amazing, probably because everyone said it would be amazing. I went back out west last year and tried it again, and hated it! I couldn't even finish it. I like the taste of Smashburger in the moment, but it always leaves me with a stomachache :( Five Guys and even better (IMO) SHAKE SHACK FOR THE WIN!

I wonder if it bothers Ben that Jessa calls Spurgy - his nickname.  I also think it's a control thing when it comes to the name thing.  They probably have a name and it's the only thing they can control. 

I have never been to in and out burger. 

I made miso soup with smoked salmon and crackers this morning 

I can see her ending each name with a gy. 

I didn't like spurgeon at first either. But I've heard names that are a lot worse, and now I don't think it's that bad anymore. It probably also helps that he's really cute, that makes me more accepting of the name I think. If the kid is adorable it's easier to perceive the name as not that worse either, at least for me, because I generally associate names with people and their character traits.
If I don't know anyone with a certain name - I hadn't heard of anyone named spurgeon prior to this little guy - I do tend to have positive and/or negative connotations, but those can change when I encounter someone with that name who doesn't fit the image I had of that name.

4 minutes ago, nst said:

I wonder if it bothers Ben that Jessa calls Spurgy - his nickname.  I also think it's a control thing when it comes to the name thing.  They probably have a name and it's the only thing they can control. 

I have never been to in and out burger. 

I made miso soup with smoked salmon and crackers this morning 

I can see her ending each name with a gy. 

It is part control, part arrogance, she thinks people care that much.

I've never been to in & out burger either, nor have I been to smash burger, as for Cracker Barrel, meh, it s poor mans Machine Shed IMO, and pretty much only Iowa people will know what The Machine Shed is. Well actually this just points to my general dislike of chain restaurants, I prefer to eat local, our general rule when traveling is to NOT eat something we can get at home.  When we were in Portland last fall we didn't want to eat at Applebee's I can eat that at home, give me something that is a local favorite. 

15 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

A few thoughts while catching up (this thread is moving so fast!)

I also don't blame Jessa and Ben for holding the name, because of the lack of control they've had in their lives, this is their moment to own something. It's annoying for sure, but I get it.

My two furbaby cats also love watching us in bed. We just ignore them, but it definitely spoils a mood when they are spotted because I really can't control my laughter every time.

I legitimately cannot picture a 9 year old running around the house and them calling him Spurgy. Or Spurgeon. Or a 15 year old teen. Or a 20something girl telling her parents how she just met the love of her life, named Spurgeon Seewald. I just can't. I hate the name, but he's a cute baby, so you can ignore the #Spurgyness of it. But as an older child/teen/adult/Grandpa Spurgeon? I simply cannot.

I had In n Out first when I was 22 and thought it was amazing, probably because everyone said it would be amazing. I went back out west last year and tried it again, and hated it! I couldn't even finish it. I like the taste of Smashburger in the moment, but it always leaves me with a stomachache :( Five Guys and even better (IMO) SHAKE SHACK FOR THE WIN!

SHAKE SHACK!  I wish there was one close to me, the closest one is 2.5 hours away.

Now I'm craving Steak 'N' Shake. That Royale burger is my fave. :P

I don't think it's a control thing that's making them not announce the name. I think it's a money/famewhore thing. I think they're waiting to announce until either the next episode or until some magazine pays them for the information. 

I was about to say Shake Shack. Just the right amount of grease. Great fries, too.

I love Five Guys, which is closer.

We have two cats, an orange tabby, Hector (after Capn. Barbossa of the Pirates) and a grey tabby, Bandit.

2010495488be4ba377d95c96d7175e27.jpg

How many different burger places do you have over there?! We have maybe five, counting maccas and hungry jacks (Burger King) 

i love the type of food you all have been talking about. I have passed hungry and am now bordering on hangry. Pringles aren't cutting it.

5 minutes ago, Keyleigh said:

How many different burger places do you have over there?! We have maybe five, counting maccas and hungry jacks (Burger King) 

A shit-ton, to be honest LOL. I can think of at least five different burger places within a reasonable driving distance of my living space, and none of them are Shake Shack or In-N-Out (we don't have them in my area), and two of them are local chains/standalone restaurants.

Steak 'n Shake is so great. DH made it a tradition every semester to take me there the night before exams. We're going before the bar too....

As an aside, I kinda wanna pose this simple bet: will Seewald 2.0's name be better or worse than Spurgeon?

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

Steak 'n Shake is so great. DH made it a tradition every semester to take me there the night before exams. We're going before the bar too....

As an aside, I kinda wanna pose this simple bet: will Seewald 2.0's name be better or worse than Spurgeon?

I bet better (because I truly cannot think of a name worse than Spurgeon), but I won't be surprised if they somehow surpass themselves with awfulness.

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

I don't think it's a control thing that's making them not announce the name. I think it's a money/famewhore thing. I think they're waiting to announce until either the next episode or until some magazine pays them for the information. 

You would think they would hold out and sell the photographs like some celebrities do, but no, that's free.

I wonder with how many people around them they wouldn't be able to keep a photo from leaking but the name you could hide better. 

how many days did they wait to announce Spurgeon's name? are they waiting longer this time? 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

It is part control, part arrogance, she thinks people care that much.

I've never been to in & out burger either, nor have I been to smash burger, as for Cracker Barrel, meh, it s poor mans Machine Shed IMO, and pretty much only Iowa people will know what The Machine Shed is. Well actually this just points to my general dislike of chain restaurants, I prefer to eat local, our general rule when traveling is to NOT eat something we can get at home.  When we were in Portland last fall we didn't want to eat at Applebee's I can eat that at home, give me something that is a local favorite. 

Holy cow, I haven't thought about The Machine Shed in a good twenty years. We had an end of the year awards banquet there every year. 

5 minutes ago, Jessalyn said:

how many days did they wait to announce Spurgeon's name? are they waiting longer this time? 

The article came out on Nov. 11, 2015, so about a week after his birth.

It's hard to top Spurgeon because of the icky factor of the name, especially with the knickname of Spurgy.  So, unless this kid's name is Moist I think it could be as bizarre but less gross.  I'm hoping for Wilberforce.  But that may be because my favorite kitty was Wilbur, named after Charlotte's Web.  RIP Wilbur, you were the best cat a girl could ever have.  If I was at my parents' house I could scan in the picture of Wilbur in my sister's wedding pictures.  No joke, that cat was so awesome my dad posed with him for a picture.  And they have had literally dozens of animals.  

Gonna emerge from lurkdom here. They should name him Arphaxhad. That should top Spurgeon with its epicness and be totally biblical. If they name him Wilberforce, I will always think of the pig!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived