IGNORED

Seewalds 17 - My Name is No

choralcrusader8613

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I'm on the Whole30 - no wheat, vanilla or sugar!  This post is breaking my heart.

eggs., you can have the eggs!

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep looking at the thread title and thinking of the story of Ulysses and the Cyclops. On his way home from the Trojan War, Ulysses stops on an island with the cyclops, Polyphemus. Much drinking ensues. The Cyclops asks Ulysses his hame, and Ulysses answers "Nobody". When Ulysses shoves a sharpened log into the Cyclops face, the Cyclops screams in pain. When asked who is hurting him, the Cyclops replies, "Nobody", the name Ulysses had given him.

That's the really simple version I remember from Mythology.

32 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

which comes first, the name or a new thread?

New thread for sure. I left to eat pizza and came a page and a bit! 

@Audrey2, we had a cat -oh, about 40 years ago- named Cyclops.  She was a tortie and one half of her face was dark which made her eye hard to see.  My dad sorta wanted to call her Polyphemous,but we ended up calling her Cylops.  She was a very pretty cat and sweet, too.

4 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

i always suggest to put the tomato and then in the owen for 10 min. After you could put on everything you want.   Bon appetit.

I like this idea, and will remember it next time I make pizza. Do you brush oil on the dough before you add tomatoes?

4 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Snip.

The only good thing about Chik-fil-a is their sauces. The rest is a bunch of over rated bullshit. We just got one in my city for the first time about a year ago. You eould think it was the damn second coming.  Its still busy to the point where driving past annoys me. 

Mountain Home, Arkansas got their first Starbucks last year. A line out the door of the Harp's they put it in that stretched almost half a mile and an hour and a half wait for a cup of coffee. It was insane!

New thread the way this is going. What restaurant should we lust after next? As a midwesterner, I nominate Culver's. The chicken strips and custard ....

I'll put my vote down for In-N-Out Burger and Backyard Burger, neither of which are in my area.  I'm lucky to have Burgerville here, with their really yummy seasonal menu items like chocolate hazelnut shakes (now) and pumpkin shakes. I like Quiznos, too, which are hard to find. My understanding is they had really bad deals for franchisees, so many went under. I must confess- I'm quite a burger kind of gal!

I miss Friendly's ice cream as well. 

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Audrey2, we had a cat -oh, about 40 years ago- named Cyclops.  She was a tortie and one half of her face was dark which made her eye hard to see.  My dad sorta wanted to call her Polyphemous,but we ended up calling her Cylops.  She was a very pretty cat and sweet, too.

I'm curious if your tortie was crazy. I'm dating a guy with a tortie right now (who is a sweet cat, but also a bit on the neurotic side...). He explained to me that apparently torties have something of a reputation for being unpredictable. 

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/pets/study-tortie-cats-tude-is-not-your-imagination/

I  had a tortoiseshell kitty who my friends affectionately called "Miss Hiss the Bitch".  She didn't even really like me, my roommate was the only person she tolerated.

Not gonna lie, I tend to avoid chain places if I can help it. A lot of the places I go to eat are local spots owned and ran by people who live in my town. Not only am I helping a local business, I feel like those places have the best food!

7 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I  had a tortoiseshell kitty who my friends affectionately called "Miss Hiss the Bitch".  She didn't even really like me, my roommate was the only person she tolerated.

Luckily boyfriend's tortie isn't mean, just strange. She has a habit of watching us uhh...engage in sweet fellowship. She also likes to sleep beneath the covers and is very territorial if she feels that I'm getting too much of his attention. Now that I type this out, I'm wondering if he maybe has an inappropriately close relationship with his tortie. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

New thread the way this is going. What restaurant should we lust after next? As a midwesterner, I nominate Culver's. The chicken strips and custard ....

The custard is so creamy and good...but one of their burgers gave me food poisoning. 

16 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Luckily boyfriend's tortie isn't mean, just strange. She has a habit of watching us uhh...engage in sweet fellowship. She also likes to sleep beneath the covers and is very territorial if she feels that I'm getting too much of his attention. Now that I type this out, I'm wondering if he maybe has an inappropriately close relationship with his tortie. :pb_lol:

Nah. That's cats. I have a ginger cat and mine is quite interested in sweet fellowship. He sits on the end of the bed like a creeper. It can be quite the mood killer. 

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Nah. That's cats. I have a ginger cat and mine is quite interested in sweet fellowship. He sits on the end of the bed like a creeper. It can be quite the mood killer. 

It is so, so creepy! Usually a well-thrown pillow takes care of the problem, but not after I start to laugh uncontrollably. 

23 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm curious if your tortie was crazy. I'm dating a guy with a tortie right now (who is a sweet cat, but also a bit on the neurotic side...). He explained to me that apparently torties have something of a reputation for being unpredictable. 

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/pets/study-tortie-cats-tude-is-not-your-imagination/

I cannot recall that Cyclops was particularly crazy.  Neither was her mother, Ethel, a dilute calico, and Bianca, a dilute tortie.  I ought to ask my girls about Bianca though.  They used to fight over who got to sleep with the cats.  Shannon always got her Molly while the other girls would quarrel about Bianca.  

We've also had two tuxedos: Nalley, a regular (and quite beautiful) black-and-white tuxie and Adagio, who was grey (blue) and white.  Nalley had a good bit of attitude while Adagio was as sweet as could be. She lived to be 15 and Bianca lived to be 13 or 14. 

Our cat with the most attitude was Molly, a long-haired white cat.  Molly liked to climb on top of the house.  I'd park my old Taurus wagon so she could jump on the roof of the car to get down off the house.  She'd always come down through the basketball hoop.  There was also the time that "Molly got arrested".  She was trapped by animal control and we had to pay a fine to bail her ought of "jail" (impoundment).  She was about a day from being put to death.  Then there was the time that Molly exploded.  She had an abscessed tooth where the abscess ruptured.  She came streaking out of my daughter's closet dripping pus.  Molly was a real character.

For three generations, my family has been all about orange tabby cats. I had two growing up and I love, love, love them. Don't know what I'll do if I end up with this guy permanently, as he swears up and down he'll never own anything but a tortie again. I find it an encouraging sign that he likes 'em neurotic. :pb_lol:

If it's taking them this long to decide on a name, I'm going to guess that Ben wants to name this new baby something awful too, and Jessa's trying to negotiate a better name.

13 minutes ago, MyMilkshake said:

If it's taking them this long to decide on a name, I'm going to guess that Ben wants to name this new baby something awful too, and Jessa's trying to negotiate a better name.

someone earlier said they would post a great reciepe and it's not the one I just scrolled through in the previous thread

also someone named Laura B - wrote in the new people magazine that Duggars having kids is not new....

It's obvious they are holding out on a name for attention. I'm feeling a little embarrassed for them because it is transparent.

That being said, I'm sure the Duggars and the other Seewalds have been informed of the name.

30 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

For three generations, my family has been all about orange tabby cats. I had two growing up and I love, love, love them. Don't know what I'll do if I end up with this guy permanently, as he swears up and down he'll never own anything but a tortie again. I find it an encouraging sign that he likes 'em neurotic. :pb_lol:

Oh come on! All cats need love! ;) He might find that he loves tabbys or white cats or black cats. I'm partial to orange tabbies myself! 

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I'll put my vote down for In-N-Out Burger and Backyard Burger, neither of which are in my area.  I'm lucky to have Burgerville here, with their really yummy seasonal menu items like chocolate hazelnut shakes (now) and pumpkin shakes. I like Quiznos, too, which are hard to find. My understanding is they had really bad deals for franchisees, so many went under. I must confess- I'm quite a burger kind of gal!

I miss Friendly's ice cream as well. 

Yes, yes, yes to In N Out! I've been fortunate to live in states that have them. I've had Quiznos, but it tasted like the lady who made my sandwich just smoked a cigarette like, the second before she made it, and I haven't been back since. 

Raising Canes is a restaurant that is super popular, and I don't get why. I'm also not impressed with Chick-fil-A. Popeyes is where it's at when it comes to fast food chicken restaurants. 

In n Out was just "eh" to me. I prefer Five Guys for burgers. Though I don't think I've eaten there in a couple years. We rarely eat fast food or go out to eat at all. The place we go to the most is Panera.

26 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Oh come on! All cats need love! ;) He might find that he loves tabbys or white cats or black cats. I'm partial to orange tabbies myself! 

@ViolaSebastian I'm finding the idea of having the same looking cat over and over really funny, for some reason. I know some people are attached to certain breeds of dogs but I really hadn't heard of people doing that with cats so much.

I'm with @Carm_88- All cats need love! I am definitely a crazy cat lady and love all cats. Even Sphynx which some people find creepy.  (I think they're adorable!)

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived