IGNORED

Seewalds 17 - My Name is No

choralcrusader8613

4 hours ago, Galbin said:

OMG, cola cake sounds epic!

I have never, ever had room for dessert at Cracker Barrel. Would it be worth stopping by just for the cola cake?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I have never, ever had room for dessert at Cracker Barrel. Would it be worth stopping by just for the cola cake?

I :my_heart: their cola cake. The cola gives the chocolate a deeper flavor than reg. chocolate cake, in my opinion.

@2manyKidzzz @Galbin This is only my fourth day.  I'm doing it because I'm hoping to build some new good habits around food/eating, which so far I think will happen.  You are supposed to have a carb/protein/fat in each meal, so the program really makes you look at what you're eating and even four days in, I've seen some lifestyle changes I can make in that area.  I was a vegetarian for years, and don't eat that much meat, but I'm willing to give the whole 30 days, and the reintroduction, a go.  I have arthritis in my knees - moderate in the left and severe in the right, so my knees ache constantly, I'm hoping to find out if I have any food sensitivities that might help with the pain going forward.

I also need to lose weight so I'm hoping this be a jumpstart for that as well.

Oh, and the Vanilla thing is really only for vanilla extract, as it's made with alcohol which is not allowed on the program.  Kinda crazy but that's what they say.  You can use Vanilla power in it's place, which luckily I do have on hand.

I'm doing a Whole30 diet (it's extended beyond thirty days so I dunno what to call it..) and I LOVE it. I feel great physically and mental-health wise, which has been a bonus. The hardest thing for me has been potlucks and eating over at people's houses, but I just pick myself up the next day and go back to it. Turns out my body does not like dairy, much to my cheese-loving surprise. 

2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

If they're going to go with famous baptist missionaries/theologians etc 

my guesses would be the following 

Criswell

Godwin 

Stanley 

Warren 

Hovind 

Ankerburg 

It's never going to be Warren... it would remind them of a certain Elizabeth...  :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm doing a Whole30 diet (it's extended beyond thirty days so I dunno what to call it..) and I LOVE it. I feel great physically and mental-health wise, which has been a bonus. The hardest thing for me has been potlucks and eating over at people's houses, but I just pick myself up the next day and go back to it. Turns out my body does not like dairy, much to my cheese-loving surprise. 

I've done it too. It's hard, and you have to make an effort to plan ahead. Some people find it a huge improvement, because they didn't realize they were living with food sensitivities. I found that I was much more sensitive to sugar - even some sausage tasted too sweet.

I can get behind the idea of Whole30, but in practice, some of the rules are weird and arbitrary and there is NO WAY I am sticking to a healthy diet if that diet excludes beans and sweet potatoes. FEED ME ALL THE BEANS AND SWEET POTATOES.

Just now, Galbin said:

I thought potatoes and sweet potatoes were allowed on Whole30?

I just checked. Apparently they changed the rules in August 2014 and all potatoes are now allowed, so my bad. BUT THE BEANS THOUGH.

2 minutes ago, cptbailey said:

As a dietitian, diets like Whole30 make me sad. Please don't cut out legumes. It makes no sense. Legumes are amazing for you. :tw_bawling:

:clap: Amen. My life would not complete without beans peas and lentils and buckwheat. Excluding those things as anything other than part of an elimination diet makes no sense to me.

I love it. Seewalds are so boring, we're discussing diets. Thread drift is in many threads now. 

5 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

It is a bit kitschy and over rated  but If you like southern Style American fare or Comfort food like  chicken and dumplings, chicken fried steak ,a good pot pie  or cobbler it is not bad at all :) 

I like the fried catfish, and the store with candy and games from my childhood. The big checker boards are fun to play at while you wait.

19 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

It's never going to be Warren... it would remind them of a certain Elizabeth...  :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

I'm not gonna lie I had to google that :pb_lol:. I'm British though so that's my excuse!

im kinda glad they wouldn't use it, I've always liked the name 

13 minutes ago, cptbailey said:

As a dietitian, diets like Whole30 make me sad. Please don't cut out legumes. It makes no sense. Legumes are amazing for you. :tw_bawling:

Supposedly they cause inflammation. The diet was developed largely to help people with rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune problems.

Yes, on the inflammation. Which is said to cause lots of thing. Knowing that, you would thing I would jump right on that type of diet. Next week. 

Oh man, I was gonna say...I depend on potatoes for my carb kicks! :pb_lol: I think the big change was cutting way, way down on sugar and discovering that those emergency trips to the bathroom weren't due to anxiety. 

It was hard realizing sugar is in damn near everything. 

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I normally can't eat meatloaf with ketchup-ish stuff, but Cracker Barrel and this restaurant in NW Indiana called Industrial Revolution are two really good exceptions.

I will say though that I got a copycat recipe for Cracker Barrel's hashbrown casserole, and I prefer my version to theirs.

I love hashbrown casserole. Recipe please?

6 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Y'all now I'm craving Cracker Barrel.

Cracker Barrel Seewald . Would also work this way .

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

The German child-naming restrictions that @Gobbles mentioned would rule out a lot of fundie-kid names. No sensitive religious names, royal titles or city names? Sucks to be El Roi DeKalb S'Morton.

I don't think it's that bad . Sensitive religious names only really limits the use of  Satan , Messiah, Kain  ... as names . Otherwise you're free to raid the Bible . A name  is also good to go if you can show that it's used regularly as a name somewhere . This way Fanta and Milka  are allowed  (African and Biblical) and this is also the reason a German celebrity was able to name her son San Diego- San and Diego being names somewhere else.

I don't like the idea of a "diet" that excludes insane amounts of things. I just can't get behind that. I think limiting certain things is always good. But completely avoiding them (unless you have an ACTUAL allergy or sensitivity or whatever)...no thank you. I just couldn't do it at this point. Maybe if my RA got worse or if my rheumatologist recommended it. But he has not.

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

I love hashbrown casserole. Recipe please?

Here you go! :)

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs. refrigerated hash browns
  • ½ c. melted butter
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 pint sour cream
  • ½ c. chopped onions
  • 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. pepper

Directions:

1. Mix ingredients together.
  2. Bake in 11x14” baking dish for 45-55 minutes at 350° (Spray pan with Pam before baking).

Note: I like to combine different kinds of cheese with this. I think the most like Cracker Barrel is an even blend of cheddar and Kraft colby & monterey jack cheese. I also think it tastes better if it is made the day before (not necessary, but nice if you can). If you do this, please let the hash browns defrost before mixing. Don't ask me why lol. :my_confused::D

Since we're talking about diets, I feel the need to strongly recommend the book Women, Food, and God by Geneen Roth.  It's NOT a diet. But rather, it discusses the NON nutrient properties of food: the emotions, the comfort, the social associations, etc. Food doesn't just fill up our stomachs, it allows us to feel, to hide, to remember, to try and fill emotional voids, and to show others we care.  Food is a really charged medium, and this book looks at our behavior with it: why do we eat too much? Why do we eat when we're not hungry? Why do we not eat when we are hungry?

I know, I know, it sounds like mumbo jumbo.  But my therapist had me read it, and it truly is life changing because it gets to the root of the behavior we are constantly cycling between eating poorly and dieting. 

I know I sound like Jill Rodrigues and Plexus, but if you are trapped in the cycle of dieting or struggle with disordered eating like I do, please give it a try (Love Ya!). 

https://www.amazon.com/Women-Food-God-Unexpected-Everything/dp/1416543082

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I love it. Seewalds are so boring, we're discussing diets. Thread drift is in many threads now. 

That's their schtick. Get all the attention (and money from the sale of themselves to People). Let it fade a bit, then grab it back with announcing the name (and getting more money from People so they can share the news first!). 

If they announced the name at the same time as the birth they'd only get one check and one window of attention.

They are all experts at manipulating the gullible public and 'celebrity' media to work for their wallets.

Yes. Oh my god YES. It's so moist and delectable and comes with the best vanilla bean ice cream ..... can I suggest the next FJ meet up be at Cracker Barrel ??

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

Yes. Oh my god YES. It's so moist and delectable and comes with the best vanilla bean ice cream ..... can I suggest the next FJ meet up be at Cracker Barrel ??

Perhaps our next Maxwell anti-fast could be themed Cracker Barrel, since we've clearly made it an idol

All this food talk has made me realise I'd lose a lot of weight in certain parts of the US. None of the food sounds appealing to me. :(

I think I'd enjoy the first few days trying new things, but very quickly that would wear off!

Although interestingly on this casserole talk, Wikipedia is telling me US casserole differs to UK/Australian/New Zealand way of cooking. It's more of a stew here.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived