IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP?): Erika Shupe pt. 10

December

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

I had no idea the kids were using Google+ these days. I remember it was a joke when it launched and nobody was using it.

You and me both. I also remember that the launch was a total bust and I've never heard of anyone using it, so I kind of just assumed that it had flopped big time (see what I did there? ;)). But I guess at the advanced age of 26, I just have no idea what the kids these days are doing.

14 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

I had no idea the kids were using Google+ these days. I remember it was a joke when it launched and nobody was using it. I do love that it's what Karen and Melanie use, though. Maybe they aren't quite so isolated, if they are using the same social networking as their peers.

I didn't know it was a thing either. All the kids I've teached use instagram. Google + kind of reminds me of Tumblr, just more boring. 

3 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

I didn't know it was a thing either. All the kids I've teached use instagram. Google + kind of reminds me of Tumblr, just more boring. 

Where I live (Down-Under) Google+ isn't a "thing" with young people at all. My teen hasn't even heard of it. But there school does have their own in-school social media system though, so this could partly explain it.

I'm on it (I write naughty books so have platforms across all social media to promote) but of all the social media out there, Google+ is probably the least exciting, and the one with the least amount of interaction. I barely even advertise my presence on there, these days. Instagram and Facebook are the best (for me), with Twitter closely following. But because that sort of thing changes all the time, Google+ may take off here soon. 

I'm pretty sure Google+ is mostly used by kids too young for FB and those who aren't allowed to use FB, like some homeschoolers. My preteen and her friends use Google+. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

New post guys! Now we have advice on AFTER SCHOOL SNACKS.

I swear to God, this is the most inane crap I've ever read.

http://familylivingonpurpose.com/2017/04/school-snack-healthy-easy-proactive/

What a great idea! *smile* Because Lord knows how much kids LOVE to gobble down vegetable platters when they get home from public school *smirk*.

18 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

New post guys! Now we have advice on AFTER SCHOOL SNACKS.

I swear to God, this is the most inane crap I've ever read.

http://familylivingonpurpose.com/2017/04/school-snack-healthy-easy-proactive/

The title of her post is, "How to never let your children make even the slightest decision on their own." Really, even the 14-year old cannot choose his own afterschool snack?

IKR? After several years of living in Erika's house I'm sure her kids would know to pick a healthy snack. And, going on previous posts, she doesn't even buy sugary stuff that often. 

I don't really think that preparing a snack and making sure it is healthy is that snarkworthy but her fear of not eating their vegetables on the other hand... They should be used to eating vegetables by now and not be expected to throw them away just because mom isn't lurking around. If you feed your kids vegetables the majority will learn to like at least a couple of them just by eating them often enough so by now they should be eating them volontarily. Also if you do want to give them a choice, why not a limited choice? "We have x and y today, what will you have? I want z! Nope, todays choices are x or y or nothing. I will have x. Here you go!"

This is such a stupid and non-substantial observation, but it drives me crazy how Erika uses stock photos in her posts. I don't know why, but it does. I'm not even saying she should necessarily put pictures of her kids on the blog, but she could take a picture of the veggie platters she is apparently preparing for her kids every day.

I'm dying at "Blessings on your snacking efforts."  

The part that drives me crazy about this post is that she admits the green smoothies weren't enough food for the kids - just like we all speculated.

Also, in terms of kids going crazy with snacks, I think Erika's idea of lots of sugar is 3 jelly beans at one time which isn't exactly going to ruin a dinner...

I am an oddball mom. I kept sweets around the house all the time and my kids never had to ask permission to grab a snack. I also kept healthy foods and casually said things like "mmmm... this apple is so yummmy and good for me."  My kids actually gravitated toward the healthy foods. I once had a friend say "My son says there is lots of sugar at your house. Your kids must eat it all the time."  "Um...they actually don't."  

My daughter loved apples, yogurt, broccoli, carrots and strawberries. My son loved rice cakes, oranges, yogurt and carrots.  I guess my thinking was that if I treated sweets as taboo they'd find them more appealing.  But I also know that my mother allowed us to be free snackers and that went back to her days of poverty when she could not afford cookies for her first child. She told herself "when we have money, there will always be cookies in this house and my kids won't even have to ask to eat them."  And that is just the way it worked out for us. Still, we also ate fruit (apples and bananas), carrot sticks and celery with peanut butter. 

I admire moms who keep close tabs on WHAT their kids eat; perhaps I could have done better at that. What I do NOT admire are moms who monitor HOW MUCH their kids eat when it reaches the point that they are not being nourished. I have a family member who did this and her children used to hide under the bed with hidden food stashes. It breaks my heart. 

These fundies and their food issues anger and fascinate me at the same time. 

I kept fruit and easy to eat veggies for the kids. I'd also make dehydrated food snacks for them. There was no limit on what they could eat. We really didn't have sweets in the house because the budget wouldn't stretch that far. And, like I wrote upthread somewhere that when the kids got home they'd raid the pantry and fridge for afterschool snacks. The kids were never deprived or monitored as far how much they ate...and I'm telling you I had 5 of the skinniest kids in history! #1 son could out-eat a football player by the time he was 3. The girls ate like they were going to starve when they hit puberty. As adults, they're all still slender. 

Erika is still a controlling nutjob...

It'll be interesting to see what they're like as married adults, in that sense and many others.

3 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm dying at "Blessings on your snacking efforts."  

Can't leave the religion out of anything...

2 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

The part that drives me crazy about this post is that she admits the green smoothies weren't enough food for the kids - just like we all speculated.

It's not really openly admitting it though... She still suggests it's due to school not allowing for mid morning snacks. :my_angel:

Honestly. Of all the delightful folks we follow here (Duggar, Bateses, Rods, Naugs, etc,)

None irritate me like Erika. She's seriously the worst.

I cannot WAIT until she gets hers.

mscott.jpeg

That post is just stupid. Maybe her next one can be " how to buy food in advance so you can feed your children when they are hungry. Children get hungry often."

I don’t know about your children, but when ours arrive home after school they are hun-gry. *laugh* Even after having had a great lunch at school, it’s time to eat again for these growing Muffins! And to avoid them raiding the pantry and choosing to eat less-than-nutritious options *smirk*, it’s good to be ON PURPOSE – to plan in advance and be prepared in advance for them with something healthy and yummy. *smile*

*SRSLY*  Erika? 

In reality the only thing I "planned" for when the kids got home from school was to not be between them and the food sources...that would have caused great bodily injury to someone, probably me. The demon children, by 2:45 (when we got home) were foaming at the mouth, grumbling, growling and starting to remind me of Taz. That 15-20 minutes of them stuffing their little faces made it possible for me to go to the bathroom without witnesses.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

In reality the only thing I "planned" for when the kids got home from school was to not be between them and the food sources...that would have caused great bodily injury to someone, probably me. The demon children, by 2:45 (when we got home) were foaming at the mouth, grumbling, growling and starting to remind me of Taz. That 15-20 minutes of them stuffing their little faces made it possible for me to go to the bathroom without witnesses.

Blessings as you pee alone. 

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

*Blessings* as you pee alone. 

Fixed it for ya! *grin*

You know, I've read very little of Erika's writing *smile* I started reading Erika's post on snacks *yum*; the asterisk deal is like fingernails *shreik* on a chalkboard *cringe*  It's just too much *snarl* 

Yeah...back in those days I had at least one baby/toddler at home. Now I just have an audience of 4 legged kids. 

Thinking back...I must have been insane...

Is it true/normal that Erika's kids do not have a mid-morning break to have a snack in PS? In Germany, we have two snack breaks, one around 9:30 and one around 11. It seems less than ideal to have kids go without food for so long.

The fact that Erika doesn't trust her kids to eat any veggies she packs them for their lunch says sooooo much about her parenting. If only she realized that. *chuckle*

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived