IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP?): Erika Shupe pt. 10

December

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case you didn't know: 

Seven of the Shupe kids are now in public school- not Karen and Melanie. Erika has started a new blog. She's posting tips for public school moms which a lot of PS moms already know. 

Has anyone on the FLOP Facebook page mentioned that her blog loads at the pace of a mostly dead snail? 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Has anyone on the FLOP Facebook page mentioned that her blog loads at the pace of a mostly dead snail? 

When I searched the site on Google the other day, it also said "this site might be hacked" so I'm guessing it's connected.

9 minutes ago, December said:

When I searched the site on Google the other day, it also said "this site might be hacked" so I'm guessing it's connected.

Maybe the internet can't believe the Shupe kids are in public school either, and just assume Erika has been hacked. I kinda think so too. 

I wonder if anyone had mentioned the whole FLOP issue. Surely they noticed that when they were coming up with new names for the blog?

So what happened with the extra bedroom that Erika had designated as a schoolroom-type area, housing their homeschool supplies, etc? Still full of supplies they no longer need?

Is it now a bedroom for Karen and Melanie, who deserve their own teenage space apart from a gaggle of little sisters...or has it been made into Erika's scrapbook room?

As a teacher I have some concern's with the kids's schedule. Where is the time for homework? My daughter has had homework since kindergarten, but according to Erika after school time is cleaning time. 

As a special education teacher can I just share that parents of homeschooled children often have unreasonable expectations of where their child is at and what they should be expected to do. Oftentimes homework isn't a priority because "they've never had to do it before so why do they have to do it now?" Also, many homeschool students end up qualifying for additional support services - both academic and social. It can be a very difficult process to manage. 

2 hours ago, Exposed Collarbone said:

As a teacher I have some concern's with the kids's schedule. Where is the time for homework? My daughter has had homework since kindergarten, but according to Erika after school time is cleaning time. 

As a special education teacher can I just share that parents of homeschooled children often have unreasonable expectations of where their child is at and what they should be expected to do. Oftentimes homework isn't a priority because "they've never had to do it before so why do they have to do it now?" Also, many homeschool students end up qualifying for additional support services - both academic and social. It can be a very difficult process to manage. 

The mom schedule has half an hour of supervised time for homework and I assume they will do the rest of them on their own or supervised by a sibling if that is not enough. I don't think that list of chores is extreme, remember they have 9 kids and several of the jobs are weekly or less often and in this list they are spaced out onto 5 kids. For the little ones it is not as much chores as just personal hygiene.

12 hours ago, Zola said:

So what happened with the extra bedroom that Erika had designated as a schoolroom-type area, housing their homeschool supplies, etc? Still full of supplies they no longer need?

Is it now a bedroom for Karen and Melanie, who deserve their own teenage space apart from a gaggle of little sisters...or has it been made into Erika's scrapbook room?

I read where she said that the school room has not been changed.  Someone asked if they would go back to home schooling at some point.  I don't remember the answer but it was something like "we will have to see what happens".

Keeping the set up and using it as a homework space wouldn't be a bad idea.  Gives the kids somewhere quiet to go and work that is already designated as a learning space, makes it easy to make sure everyone is doing their work and limit distractions. 

There are probably better uses of the space, but if Erika really can't let go, it's not completely wasted.

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

FLOP still won't load on Chrome for me. Trying it in IE

It works on Chrome for me, but not Firefox. On Firefox it will load but I can't scroll down no matter what I do. So weird that people are having so many different types of problems with this page. I never have issues like that with any other page.

I am in the "school's a job" camp. 

Think about it.  Up, and off to school for 8 hours.  Back home for homework. For the older kids, homework will probably take longer, especially considering the amount of catch up the likely have as a result of studying under Teacher Erika for so many years.

Next?  Dinner, dinner clean up (which I think would be fine for them to take turns being in charge of).  After that, baths and (given Erika's previous posts) early bedtime.  Don't forget, toddlers and teenagers can totally have the same bedtime.  Erika and Bob time is important, ya'll!  When else are they going to eat their Olive Garden take away?

That right there was a full day, without much downtime.  As far as I'm concerned, they need to make their beds, straighten their rooms, take care of their laundry, and keep up with their school work.  

Erika and Bob need to figure out the rest.  The kids are no longer live in servants, with nothing but time to scrub Erika's base boards and dust her ceiling fans. 

I think that even before the big change Erika and Bob had eased up on teens going to bed at the same time as toddlers and I think they have even said that the older kids get to stay up a bit later. I doubt they get to pick their bed time but at least they don't all have to be in bed at exactly the same time. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, mango_fandango said:

In case you didn't know: 

Seven of the Shupe kids are now in public school- not Karen and Melanie. Erika has started a new blog. She's posting tips for public school moms which a lot of PS moms already know. 

I'm shocked! That is a serious loss of control for Erika. It's hard to believe she would be willing to do that. Why, someone might have several jelly beans without her consent or knowledge! Why did she put most of the children in school? Sorry, if this has been addressed, but I don't have time to look right now.

I don't think Erika has much of interest to post about anymore. Hanging the backpacks on a hook? That's supposed to be news?

In the old blog, she did have something to share. Managing lunch for nine kids. Getting mom-chores done while homeschooling a bunch of kids. Lots of good material there. 

Now there's not so much. The kids eat lunch at school. They are being educated at school. Erika has all day to cook dinner and I hope she's doing the laundry. That's what people do when they are SAHMs or SAHDs. It's work, but it's not so difficult that you *need* to have a system for it.

As I've said before, this is the problem with people who don't use blogs as diaries. If you do an Erika and only post things like "how to do laundry" or "how to organise my kids' rooms" then eventually you'll run out of topics. The Maxwell blog might be soporific, but at least they have something to write, since they use the blog as a journal. 

Ooh. Something just occurred to me.

Erika said once- not sure where- that the youngest kids weren't vaccinated. She'd done it for the older ones (not sure how many that covers) but then changed her mind. Now that her kids are all in public school, they'll have had to be vaxxed. I managed to find the state requirements for vaccination before school. 

My question is, if they've never been to public school and never been vaxxed, what would happen? Like, what would the schedule be? How would this all work?

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My question is, if they've never been to public school and never been vaxxed, what would happen? Like, what would the schedule be? How would this all work?

It must be really confusing for kids to all of the sudden learn you're getting vaccinated after a lifetime of not doing it. Especially if you've been taught anti-vax arguments before (no idea if they ever mentioned doing this, it's more of a general thought).

Ack, those poor kids, having to get vaccinated in such short order. At least as a baby you don't remember it for long.

well color me pink and cover me with feathers, I’m a flying pig. I’m socked, just gob smacked. I’m also really happy for those kids!

You don't need to be vaccinated to attend public school, in most states. Most have exemptions. My oldest has a medical exemption (which she'll have for life) and my 2 youngest have personal exemptions for certain ones that my oldest can't be around. Anyway, what I'm saying is that I doubt she vaxxed them just to go to public school. 

In Washington State there has been a crackdown on vaccinations. While there is the possibility for an exemption because of health or religious reasons, many counties are making it more difficult to use religion as a reason to not vaccinate. There have been a couple of major health scares recently (ex mumps) where districts have been telling unvaccinated children to stay home. 

20 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Ooh. Something just occurred to me.

Erika said once- not sure where- that the youngest kids weren't vaccinated. She'd done it for the older ones (not sure how many that covers) but then changed her mind. Now that her kids are all in public school, they'll have had to be vaxxed. I managed to find the state requirements for vaccination before school. 

I live in Washington and the summer before my daughter started Kindergarten, the school nurse left me about a million voicemails about vaccination (she then left me a final one apologizing for all her previous messages, because there had been some kind of mix-up and she'd finally received the records that my daughter was, in fact, fully vaccinated).

But I think you can just fill out a form stating that you have a personal objection to vaccination. I almost considered doing that to get that nurse to leave me alone! (Mostly just kidding, and I do appreciate the nurse's diligence. It wasn't her fault she was working with faulty information.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived