IGNORED

Counting On Season Three

Coconut Flan

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I've been thinking about the cost of this wedding and I'm in absolute shock.  So we have the cost of the trip to buy the dress, the dress (I don't believe the dress was comped maybe sold at cost but not free), the flowers, the outfits for everyone in the bridal party, rental of the church, wedding planner and coordinator, and other decorations. Thank goodness for the leg humpers or JB/TLC would have been out 30k. 

so everything wasn't free as someone said when it originally aired? 

I'd say the wedding dress was. The woman was humping Jinger so hard!

Just now, Carm_88 said:

I'd say the wedding dress was. The woman was humping Jinger so hard!

I agree. The storefront was shown. When the owner and the "designer" were TH their names, title, and where they were from was listed...classic product placement/advertising technique. Think of all the fundie gals who would want to get their dress where Jill and Jinger got theirs.....

I think that TLC paid for virtually all of the wedding costs including the dress.  There would be no reason to fly them all to VA to go dress shopping if the dress wasn't comped.

8 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Lol @ActualReality I didn't mind the way the dress lady whisper-talked. It gave me massive ASMR 

@grandmadugger The dress shopping trip was probably paid by TLC. And why would they travel all the way to DC and give that lady's shop tv publicity, if the dress wasn't free? I wouldn't be surprised if the shop actually paid additionally to be on the show. I could be wrong though, but I doubt the wedding was as expensive for them as some are imagining. 

Lol!!!

i TOTALLY don't understand the dress fettish.  I bought a vintage dress on eBay.  Wore it for the day and sold it at a nice profit about a week later.  It was an indigo taffeta circle dress that looked like something from mad men.  My dh wore an indigo dashiki.  

I was more interested in having a good marriage than a good wedding.  A bunch of years later we're still going strong.

8 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Lol @ActualReality I didn't mind the way the dress lady whisper-talked. It gave me massive ASMR 

@grandmadugger The dress shopping trip was probably paid by TLC. And why would they travel all the way to DC and give that lady's shop tv publicity, if the dress wasn't free? I wouldn't be surprised if the shop actually paid additionally to be on the show. I could be wrong though, but I doubt the wedding was as expensive for them as some are imagining. 

A wedding dress like Jinger had cost several thousand dollars before alterations. There's not enough ROI for a business owner with an ounce of sense to giveaway or pay for the privilege to dress a Duggar. They might have deeply discounted the dress but to not even cover their cost of the dress doesn't make good business sense. 

My daughter was married during the past year and we shopped together.  I flew to San Francisco for a round of appointments and she then came to NYC to see a few more.   Hard work for a bride that hated everyting she tried on as too fluffy, too itchy, way too lacey, etc., etc.  She finally found a small shop with a designer that cut the fabric herself and fell in love with an extremely plain silk shantung dress,  without any ornamentation.

During this time, I spent time chatting with owners and salespeople.  The process is that they purchase sample gowns, which they can change to a degree, like switch out lace, add beads, crystals etc to best appeal to their client base.  Then the dresses can be ordered with more customization,  for example a lighter color lace on a deeper toned slip, extra fabric to make a sash, pearls instead of crystals, extra matching trim for a headpiece etc.   The dresses we were looking at were not in the high end price range of  wedding gowns.  

This woman calling herself a "designer" is really stretching reality.  I don't  consider a dress that is ordered from a catalog "custom made" but merely a commercial product that was "customized" to her needs.  

2 hours ago, nst said:

I've never heard of wedding vendors just giving their services away. When a styled wedding happens the vendors usually discount everything, think wholesale prices, but they don't go in the hole to do it.  In exchange they get to use photos from the wedding to advertise their business in the future. Also some vendors have that in their contracts for every wedding. 

45 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My daughter was married during the past year and we shopped together.  I flew to San Francisco for a round of appointments and she then came to NYC to see a few more.   Hard work for a bride that hated everyting she tried on as too fluffy, too itchy, way too lacey, etc., etc.  She finally found a small shop with a designer that cut the fabric herself and fell in love with an extremely plain silk shantung dress,  without any ornamentation.

During this time, I spent time chatting with owners and salespeople.  The process is that they purchase sample gowns, which they can change to a degree, like switch out lace, add beads, crystals etc to best appeal to their client base.  Then the dresses can be ordered with more customization,  for example a lighter color lace on a deeper toned slip, extra fabric to make a sash, pearls instead of crystals, extra matching trim for a headpiece etc.   The dresses we were looking at were not in the high end price range of  wedding gowns.  

This woman calling herself a "designer" is really stretching reality.  I don't  consider a dress that is ordered from a catalog "custom made" but merely a commercial product that was "customized" to her needs.  

And the thing is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just customizing something that was pre-made/designed, but I'm not going to go around calling myself a professional chef if I put some Sriracha on my ramen noodles, or add chocolate chips to my Bisquick pancakes. Saying that you're a "designer" because you switched out some trimming and took in the seams cheapens the efforts and expertise of professionals who work so hard to create actually custom-made dresses.

8 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

It would've been cheaper to have the designer just make the trip to AR instead of having all those people trek to VA. 

I found my wedding dress online. I showed it to my bridesmaids, and they liked it so ordered from a local shop. I don't get the whole group thing either, but to each their own. 

That DC trip was a plot point for the show, remember they also filmed a group scene at the painting studio. If I ever got married I would probably bring my sisters dress shopping just for the fun if it and to get an honest opinion. 

11 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

That DC trip was a plot point for the show, remember they also filmed a group scene at the painting studio. If I ever got married I would probably bring my sisters dress shopping just for the fun if it and to get an honest opinion. 

And I would bring my friends who are like sisters! I would also go close to me and buy it from a wedding dress place and not some lady pretending to be a designer! :P Sure it's a plot point but hypocrisy! 

2 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

A wedding dress like Jinger had cost several thousand dollars before alterations. There's not enough ROI for a business owner with an ounce of sense to giveaway or pay for the privilege to dress a Duggar. They might have deeply discounted the dress but to not even cover their cost of the dress doesn't make good business sense. 

We already know that Amy Duggar got her wedding dress for free, and hers didn't even appear on TV. Jinger DEFINITELY got her dress for free. 

Plus according to her interview in Duggar Family Blog, the dress designer basically begged Jinger to let her design her gown. Quote:

I have watched the Duggars on TV with great admiration and respect for years. When Jill and Jessa got engaged and married, I started thinking how wonderful it would be if I could design a wedding dress for one of the Duggar women.

I have served clients with similar modesty standards, and I believe that every bride should have a gown that makes her feel beautiful. Modesty doesn’t have to look tacky. Just because you have certain standards doesn’t mean you should have to take a dress that you don’t feel comfortable in and haphazardly add pieces. My heart’s desire is for all brides to look fashionably correct, regardless of the style of their dress. 

One month before Jinger’s July 2016 engagement, I met a woman named Wendy through mutual friends from my alma mater, Pensacola Christian College. She co-owns Ava Laurenne Bride in Fredericksburg, Virginia, and I soon found out that Jill Duggar Dillard had purchased her wedding dress from Wendy's shop in 2014. Wendy and I agreed that if Jinger chose me as her dress designer, I would use Ava Laurenne Bride as the meeting place.

Wendy made a phone call, and Jinger and Michelle looked at pictures of my work on my website and Facebook page. They liked what they saw, so Jinger and I began laying the groundwork for her bridal gown. 

I think it was at least heavily discounted because wedding dresses are hella expensive. Especially lace ballgowns  Could be free though. The "designer" was obviously trying hard to impress with all the pearls, train and jumping. 

I worked in the bridal suite of a wedding planning company last summer and I loved it! Some brides are a nightmare though. I had one that wanted purple (wedding dress don't come in purple) and for free! She also wanted us to make permanent changes to a dress she was renting :/. However, you get some really lovely brides and their happiness makes you happy. Wedding dresses are also frickin beautiful. 

When you go dress shopping lay down the law. It's all about you and what you want.

I went with my grandmother to a discount bridal shop in a legendary "dead mall" in her area. best idea ever. No crappy opinions, deep discounts, and no crowds.

I wound up having to order my dress online. I found bridesmaid dresses at the same site. All my dress needed was hemming and few little embellishments I wanted. The dress was already modest to my personal standard. The reason I had to order online was the color. It's a beautiful pale mint green.

I went to Nordstrom after ordering 3 of the same dress in different sizes online.  They took two back, and altered the closest size for me.

Not a "wedding gown" by anyone's standards, just a formal gown.

The dress was less than $300, but the rest of the celebrations,  well..... 

20 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

We already know that Amy Duggar got her wedding dress for free, and hers didn't even appear on TV. Jinger DEFINITELY got her dress for free. 

Plus according to her interview in Duggar Family Blog, the dress designer basically begged Jinger to let her design her gown. Quote:

I wouldnt be surprised if it was comped as a way to get on teevee.  She could write it off as an advertising expense.  But, the questions remains - who was she targeting?  Does the Duggar audience have the $$$ to make it worthwhile? And how many of those viewers would fly out to consult with her?  I guess that even if she gets ONE dress she makes her money back and the People spread had pretty significant visibility.

At the same time, if I was in the market for a dress, I would take that people spread to a shop and say "I want this."  Theres no way I'd fly out to her simply because she supported the Duggars.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:58 AM, Imagine20 said:

It would've been cheaper to have the designer just make the trip to AR instead of having all those people trek to VA. 

I found my wedding dress online. I showed it to my bridesmaids, and they liked it so ordered from a local shop. I don't get the whole group thing either, but to each their own. 

Have you all watched Say Yes to the Dress? I've seen women fly in from other countries and all around the US to go to Kleinfeld's I saw one woman from Egypt or Saudi Arabia, another from Australia, that is INSANE. I don't beleive for 1 second that they couldn't find a nice dress shop in AR, They are only 3.5 hours from Kansas City and 5 hours from Dallas those could be day trips, yeah its a long day of driving but it would a tank of gas and lunch and dinner out as opposed to 8 airline tickets, hotels, meals.  

On 22.1.2017 at 4:52 PM, ActualReality said:

I was more interested in having a good marriage than a good wedding.  A bunch of years later we're still going strong.

Absolutely! A couple of years ago a man told me that he just paid the last instalment of the credit from his wedding. My Response: i thought you are divorced. his answer: yes. 

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Have you all watched Say Yes to the Dress? I've seen women fly in from other countries and all around the US to go to Kleinfeld's I saw one woman from Egypt or Saudi Arabia, another from Australia, that is INSANE. I don't beleive for 1 second that they couldn't find a nice dress shop in AR, They are only 3.5 hours from Kansas City and 5 hours from Dallas those could be day trips, yeah its a long day of driving but it would a tank of gas and lunch and dinner out as opposed to 8 airline tickets, hotels, meals.  

Of course they could find a decent dress in  Arkansas.  The producers made up a plot for them to go to VA to go shopping.

On January 17, 2017 at 1:43 AM, Dandruff said:

I wasn't paying enough attention to find out what's wrong with Derick (that made him puke).  Anyone else pick up what it was?

It's morning sickness.... He's pregnant. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived