IGNORED

Counting On Season Three

Coconut Flan

It is so weird when the modesty standards of some Duggars and Bates become less modest than my personal modesty standards (I'm looking at Jinger and Alyssa, here).

For personal reasons I just don't like to show skin and I would not wear a skirt that far above the knees and showing shoulders. No religious reasons, I just don't feel comfortable showing a lot of skin, so I always wear at least knee-length skirts and pants and have my shoulders covered.

And the Duggars and Bates preach about modesty like they are the only people in the world who practice it and religion is the only reason people do it, it's laughable!

Also:

Dating where I grew up is always "dating with a purpose". You don't date just for fun and just to be in a relationship. When we date it's usually with someone who we can see as our spouse in a few years from now. Plus: usually, dating a person also means that you are exclusive from the first date onwards. => so, no dating just for fun and no dating multiple person at one time. if someone did that to me they would seem like the most illoyal people in the world.

So why are the Duggars always saying that people outside their cult only date for fun and multiple people at a time? I don't get it!

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to wear a lot of long skirts/dresses. Think a t-shirt that goes down to my ankles for dresses. Why? They're comfortable. I don't need to worry about if I've gained or lost weight, and if I'm going through a fibro flare where my skin hurts, those are easier to take. I can also wear them to teach and look reasonably professional. I've found many of my skirts, dresses and tops at places like Savers. Combine them with some warm socks or tights for the winter or sandals in the summer. 

And when you're old, kinda chubby and have a belly full of stretch mark and surgical scars, clothes like that are so comfortable. 

7 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

What's wrong with the attendant seeing you in a thong? I would probably wear a thong under my actual wedding dress, unless I'm wearing spanx. I guess I would fail that fitting LOL 

Bridal shops may prefer customers to wear full-coverage underwear for hygiene reasons, not modesty reasons.

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Bridal shops may prefer customers to wear full-coverage underwear for hygiene reasons, not modesty reasons.

i wonder if they paid the lady to say what she to jinge about the modesty stuff? 

I call bull shit on their "modesty" standards. Modesty is more than covering skin, it is also not being boastful, flamboyant, or outspoken about how modest you are. For instance I watch a lot of Sister wives, and when they were doing the public "marriage" with the 4  of them and the ladies were looking for dresses Robin tried on a dress that had like cap sleeves and one of them said something about the sleeves being too short for their comfort & all 4 of them were like yeah, we need them longer, and then they explained that they feel they should be more covered when in public. It was an off the cuff comment they didn't make a big deal out of it. I never really thought about it, but they do always seem to be covered up but they aren't obnoxious about it. They just do it, they don't talk about why they are doing it. That is modesty. The Duggar's are LOOK AT US aren't we holy? CHECK US OUT but no to close, we're pure and modest an better than you. 

IMO, if you're constantly drawing attention to your "modesty" standards, you're really not modest at all.

Wear whatever you want, Duggars, and shut the hell up. 

JB sold the family to TLC /Figure 8 for easy cash. Modest people would never sell away privacy or anonymity for easy cash.

Attention whores are not modest.

1 hour ago, nst said:

i wonder if they paid the lady to say what she to jinge about the modesty stuff? 

I think she was paid to say designer. 

12 hours ago, nst said:

and the fact that they always have to be together probably isn't all that great all the time 

This is a really good point.

Presumably they all have to be together all the time because, according to the fundamentalist propaganda that rules them,

1) if you love your siblings and parents you want to be with them all the time; 2) if you DON'T want to be with them, it must be because you are trying to hide something and you are going to sin; 3) your siblings are always your "best friends"; and 4) you don't really need non-family friends, and if you have them, they are secondary, always, to your family.

I think every one of these is false.

I also wonder how the heck someone who is an introvert in these huge families ever survives. I would be driven stark staring mad by never having the chance to be alone (other than in the bathroom or the prayer closet).

17 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

Presumably they all have to be together all the time because, according to the fundamentalist propaganda that rules them,

1) if you love your siblings and parents you want to be with them all the time; 2) if you DON'T want to be with them, it must be because you are trying to hide something and you are going to sin; 3) your siblings are always your "best friends"; and 4) you don't really need non-family friends, and if you have them, they are secondary, always, to your family.

I also wonder how the heck someone who is an introvert in these huge families ever survives. I would be driven stark staring mad by never having the chance to be alone (other than in the bathroom or the prayer closet).

but these aren't children anymore - they are adults 

unless it's only for the tv - 

I am thinking they just do it for the tv viewing audience and if the show ends - they don't have to spend  every waking hour together 

30 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

* See Jenny*

13 minutes ago, nst said:

I am thinking they just do it for the tv viewing audience and if the show ends - they don't have to spend  every waking hour together 

After watching the Return of the Daughters video, I'm convinced that spending the majority of your time with family members only is part of the brainwashing that goes on with these people.

33 minutes ago, nst said:

Where would they go? They are adults only according to the law. They do nothing adults do. They don't make adult decisions for themselves, have non-family approved friends, work or go to school. Hell, the unmarried adult women can't go anywhere without an accountability buddy. They don't seem to do much other than shop for the family or go on a Gothard approved missionary trip until it is time for Jim Bob to find the man they will automatically fall in love with. I have no doubt life isn't much different when the cameras are rolling. 

15 hours ago, sunshine said:

Ben and Jeremy got ice cream. Mr. Vuolo wondered was this fair for the kids because they were asleep. Funny.

1.  I keep seeing Jeremy's last name as either "Volvo" (ok) or "Vulva" (not cool).

2.  On Being together all the time--Yes, it is part of the brainwashing. "Alone time" is bad, evil and leads to sin. [See the episode of Kid Farm where little Bolivia spends alone time in the dryer!!].  You must die to self.... Jesus first, Others Second, yourself last = JOY. The Bates have in-home surveillance so they can see what's going on at all times. Kelly commented in an old show how "helpful" it was.

3.  On vomit as a "teaser" no worse than the grizzly goosh of childbirth......but just tell us ALREADY what's up with his health. Ditch the wedding stuff for that. THAT would be a NEW story. Eleventy-billion kids wedding shopping is beyond boring.

4.  On Modesty--no, it isn't modest to go on about how modest you are. I will say they blend in better today. Remember the freaky dresses they wore in the first tv show? Yikes. Or, worse, those clown dresses the Bates girls had to always wear? Those provided full coverage, but weren't "modest' in my book because they automatically drew every onlooker's eyes to them.

9 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Where would they go? They are adults only according to the law. They do nothing adults do. They don't make adult decisions for themselves, have non-family approved friends, work or go to school. Hell, the unmarried adult women can't go anywhere without an accountability buddy. They don't seem to do much other than shop for the family or go on a Gothard approved missionary trip until it is time for Jim Bob to find the man they will automatically fall in love with. I have no doubt life isn't much different when the cameras are rolling. 

They are EVER under Daddy's Jurisdiction, even in marriage. And no one is an adult UNTIL they make an approved marriage. Even then they must heed the "wisdom" of the father.

2 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

1.  I keep seeing Jeremy's last name as either "Volvo" (ok) or "Vulva" (not cool).

2.  On Being together all the time--Yes, it is part of the brainwashing. "Alone time" is bad, evil and leads to sin. [See the episode of Kid Farm where little Bolivia spends alone time in the dryer!!].  You must die to self.... Jesus first, Others Second, yourself last = JOY. The Bates have in-home surveillance so they can see what's going on at all times. Kelly commented in an old show how "helpful" it was.

3.  On vomit as a "teaser" no worse than the grizzly goosh of childbirth......but just tell us ALREADY what's up with his health. Ditch the wedding stuff for that. THAT would be a NEW story. Eleventy-billion kids wedding shopping is beyond boring.

4.  On Modesty--no, it isn't modest to go on about how modest you are. I will say they blend in better today. Remember the freaky dresses they wore in the first tv show? Yikes. Or, worse, those clown dresses the Bates girls had to always wear? Those provided full coverage, but weren't "modest' in my book because they automatically drew every onlooker's eyes to them.

The vomit teaser got me all excited like. I was like, yay I'm not losing it, he is probably unwell. And then I speculated about what kind of worm he picked up while missioning. And then I was like Jill, get off your bike and hold his hair back. Sometimes I feel a little bad for Derek, then I go look at his Instagram and I'm over it again.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, MotherOfDragons said:

I really, really, REALLY don't want to see any "heat" with Austin & Joy. In my mind, she's still that boisterous, tomboyish little girl.

Ugh - the minute Joy starts giving Austin moon eyes and calling him "babe" with a whispered breath, I will vomit.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

IMO, if you're constantly drawing attention to your "modesty" standards, you're really not modest at all.

Wear whatever you want, Duggars, and shut the hell up. 

JB sold the family to TLC /Figure 8 for easy cash. Modest people would never sell away privacy or anonymity for easy cash.

Attention whores are not modest.

Totally agree, except I think Jim Bob genuinely thought in the beginning that the TV show was a way to spread their testimony (AND make money)

Even the married couples don't get to make too many decisions. They live in the houses JB has chosen for them. Well, maybe Jinger has escaped a little bit.

ETA I wonder how it feels to to to the grocery store alone for the first time. My mother sent me to the shops armed with a list money and a shopping bag from an early age.

2 hours ago, BeaSnarky said:

Ugh - the minute Joy starts giving Austin moon eyes and calling him "babe" with a whispered breath, I will vomit.

Yeah, what's up with only using "Babe?" No other pet names allowed. Gag. Hurl. Vomit.

20 minutes ago, coffeebean7 said:

Totally agree, except I think Jim Bob genuinely thought in the beginning that the TV show was a way to spread their testimony (AND make money)

And herein lies the problem with living in a bubble of like minded people, you get a false sense of superiority that entitles you to tell everyone how to live their lives, and leaves you incapable of understanding that other don't give a shit what you are doing, as long as you leave them to do what ever it is they are doing.  

I wonder if the whole fast tracking the relationship is due to the cost of traveling to Arkansas from Texas could be pretty expensive.

I wonder if the whole fast tracking the relationship is due to the cost of traveling to Arkansas from Texas could be pretty expensive.

Could have something to do with it. Jeremy has a job unlike Ben so he couldn't move into the property.

11 hours ago, eveandadam said:
It is so weird when the modesty standards of some Duggars and Bates become less modest than my personal modesty standards (I'm looking at Jinger and Alyssa, here).
For personal reasons I just don't like to show skin and I would not wear a skirt that far above the knees and showing shoulders. No religious reasons, I just don't feel comfortable showing a lot of skin, so I always wear at least knee-length skirts and pants and have my shoulders covered.

I'm the same way. My favorite things for summer are skorts and t-shirts or tank tops.

Derrick's mannerism seemed to have changed a little after he married Jill to when it was before he married Jill. I am sure this changes after marriage, but I find it interesting.

I would love to know how much each of the Duggar girls dress cost.

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

I'm pretty sure that hormones played a larger part, lol.

I started watching counting on recently.  Wow - weird AND boring!

Did that dress lady say that Jeremy did a bad job with the ring but a great job at picking Jinger.  :confused2:  WOW!

So many of these women seem to speak in an airy, breathy tone of voice.  It's just weird to me.  Also, all of the women look at their husband the same way.  Like he's God.

I used to think that Jessa was super dom and her husband was kind of dumb.  Now I think they're both just kind of dumb.  In that respect they're a good match.  How on earth does he support her.  I can't imagine what kind of job he'd have!

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived