IGNORED

Another Duggar Courting - Joy and Austin, Part 2

Destiny

Mark my words, Jana will be the next one married. Think about it. All the courtship stuff, an over the top proposal, wedding planning, etc. Even before Jill married, most of the focus was on the girls (now grown women). Nobody cares about the Duggar men getting married. Seriously, his job in wedding planning is minuscule compared to the bride. Now if a Duggar man married into fundie royalty or someone with some family notoriety, it would be a different story.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Skillet tossing? I'm going to vomit. What even is that? Do you do things like flip pancakes or do you throw a skillet at someone?

Maybe skillet tossing is a fundie approved way of dealing with domestic violence.

'Sorry I crushed your skull honey, just wanted to flip a pancake but it slipped out of my hand.'

Hope those skillets are the old-fashioned, heavy ones. 

Mark my words, Jana will be the next one married. Think about it. All the courtship stuff, an over the top proposal, wedding planning, etc. Even before Jill married, most of the focus was on the girls (now grown women). Nobody cares about the Duggar men getting married. Seriously, his job in wedding planning is minuscule compared to the bride. Now if a Duggar man married into fundie royalty or someone with some family notoriety, it would be a different story.

So you think they'll scrap Joy's courtship because it's not going to produce the ratings? Or you think Jana is secretly courting somebody and she will be first down the aisle?

2 hours ago, justpassingby said:

According to Austin's instagram he is Fire fighter and EMT. If he is an actual paid Fire Fighter/ EMT that brings him a bit above the rest of the other husbands. 

Nope. Volunteer. I won't comment more since we don't know what kind of training he had. It could be ALERT, but I hope it's something legit.

And I imagine his "small business" is a share in Fort Rock, since he and his sister are the heirs apparent. 

20 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Maybe skillet tossing is a fundie approved way of dealing with domestic violence.

'Sorry I crushed your skull honey, just wanted to flip a pancake but it slipped out of my hand.'

Hope those skillets are the old-fashioned, heavy ones. 

I hope it's this. Some of those fundie men would sure deserve it:

So you think they'll scrap Joy's courtship because it's not going to produce the ratings? Or you think Jana is secretly courting somebody and she will be first down the aisle?

I mean Jana will marry afterJoy. I haven't read anything about Jana courting.

Season 3 will be Joy' courtship/engagement/wedding, Vuolo spawn #1, Seewald #2, Dullard #2 and the last episode will be Jana in a courtship...season 4 will be Jana courtship/engagement/wedding, and more spawn including maybe M5

3 hours ago, antwan said:

Wait, what? His family was on Strictest Parents? Do tell.

You've probably seen the video links and other posts by now but the family is just as bad as the Duggars. You can't close doors in the house for privacy, don't dare dress to cause sexual desire in a man and you must be a helpmeet. Joy is just trading one house for another.

It looks like her marriage might even be more restrictive than her sisters. Only time will tell. It's really sad because she was so rambunctious and fun.

finally read all the previous tread and...why joy?? She's just a baby! This is so sad. Especially since the marriage family seems to be exactly Like the daggurs just with less children

I'm pretty sure the Duggars new rule now is to only announce a courtship when an engagement is already in the works. Joy will probably be married within the next 6 months or so. God shes so young this is so depressing :pb_sad:

I hope Joy and Austin have liked eachother for years, that they actually know eachother and that they will be happy together. I hope the fact he only has one sister means they don't have to fill the quiver and that they wait to start the baby making. 

My first thought (after the OH FUCK) was that this guy Austin might be a good match; he's known her since childhood and his family are outdoorsy, so I don't see him trying to stifle that part of Joy's personality.

Then I read about the World's Strictest Parents and the whackjob that is his father, and I'm back to OH FUCK.

Did anyone else catch Austin in the Strictest Parents clip putting a pillow over his lap when sitting down on the couch? Was he defrauded by the girl and this is the fundie taught way to hide the excitement? I'm so disturbed...

3 hours ago, 16strong said:

For everyone sad about Jana's singeldom, why? We don't know why she isn't married. Maybe she doesn't want to get married, or maybe she just doesn't want kids. Lay off.

It's not that she's single, it's that she's now going to be stuck as the official house mother, with her next-nearest sister aged 11, sharing a room with all the girl-children, and basically raising her siblings, and babysitting endless nieces and nephews.  Of course she may not want kids of her own - but she has no choice about having to be a parent.    I guess this could be exactly what she wants out of life and if she had a ton of other choices she'd pick this, but damn, that's unlikely!

In the Duggar world, the only way Jana can escape this life forever (transitioning from looking after endless babies to looking after her parents as they age) is to get married.  I'm pretty sure every single FJer would want her to be able to set up her own home and do what she wants to do, regardless of if she has a partner or not, but that's not an option for her.

Of course, I'd hope that they'd renovate the house a little, to give Jana her own room now.  There'll be near-her-age company for her from Tabitha Paine's weird nanny-role, and if they take in any more random SAHDs, but she's in this terrible position.   

6 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

On Papa F talking about his children choosing not doing anything physical before marriage, "you don't have to try cocaine to know that its bad"

Papa F: "only time we close the bed room door is when you are changing, because things done in secret are not good"

Unironic use of the word 'helpmeet', '

Ha - that's hilarious!  

If he thinks that these "not good" things can't be achieved in the time it takes to pretend you are changing clothes, then he really needs a reality check on his concept of teenagers...

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

Nope. Volunteer. I won't comment more since we don't know what kind of training he had. It could be ALERT, but I hope it's something legit.

And I imagine his "small business" is a share in Fort Rock, since he and his sister are the heirs apparent. 

Not sure how it works in AR, but my dad was a volunteer firefighter. They take anyone, but you only get to become full-fledged (AKA not a "probie" who mostly does menial tasks) if you get the state certification. For EMTs, you definitely have to get a legit certification. Whole lotta legal issues you can't just sweep under the rug by moving to another state (looking at you, Jill's midwife teacher) if you try to hop on an ambulance with a Totally Legit Jesus Sayz So EMT cert. Maybe ALERT offers legit EMT certification, but I can imagine they find ways to inject ideology into it ("so here's how you perform CPR except if your victim is a gay, in which case you let them die and whine about your freedumz").

Jana might enjoy her current life - it's not that nice, but it's better than what she's known so far (not enough money to go around pre-TLC; lots of littles for her to look after post-TLC). Right now her kids (she brought them up, they're more hers than her parents') are growing up, which probably means less work and more rewards (interesting conversations, the opportunity to do things together etc). By now her parents probably don't annoy her too much - she's been running their household and raising their kids for decades, I doubt they go bossing her around that much any more.

Her only alternative to her current life is getting married - going from cherished and respected mother figure to helpmeet with no say in her own life, and having to care for a new baby every year. Which she's already done.

Staying home sounds sensible to me. Of course I wish her a loving partner who worships the ground she treads on, and maybe a kid or two of her own at some point, but her choosing to wait it out makes plenty of sense to me. It is after all the only contraception she's allowed. And she's not even thirty - in any sensible universe that's still very young.

Honestly? After the news about the moldy orange last week, I really don't give two shits about which Duggar spawn is courting or not. The adults in that family all likely voted for the moldy orange - and the moldy orange is now stacking his staff with white supremacists, homophobes, misogynists, xenophobes, sexists, and racists. I blame them for whatever fresh Hell the moldy orange and the grandpa from "King for the Hill" unleash upon the rest of us.

(Just to be clear, I'm in no way judging anyone for being upset or concerned. I understand a lot of you have watched Joy grow up and you were hoping for better than this for her. You guys have my sympathies, but Joy and the other Duggars do not. Not anymore. I'm officially done feeling bad for the legal adults in that family.

Also, I didn't sleep well and had bad dreams most of the night. So I'm kind of cranky right now and don't have my usual "play nice in the sandbox" filter on. Sorry!)

ETA: I'm sorry. I sound really bitchy and bitter here. I'm very hormonal and emotional the closer I get to my due date. I actually started crying at the breakfast table this morning because the flowers my husband got me for our anniversary are making my allergies worse - because the lilies just started blooming. And I love lilies. So now I'm sad about the lilies and stressed and worried and hormonal and just not having my best moment this morning.

I'm sad that the rumor turned out to be true. They've know for a long time so I call a Christmas engagement and an 2017 wedding in June.

I was hoping that Jospeh was courting (the girl that walked next to him on Jinger's wedding) or JD.

edited to add:

All their coutrship partners have been white and super fundie!

I'm stilll waiting for an asian or black girlfriend/boyfriend and/or for someone who is not as fundie. come on, people, it's possible!

OK, pros/cons about this fella:

PROS:

He and Joy are close in age and have known each other for a very long time, which means that even with fundie chaperoning and gender segregation, they've at least had actual time to develop a relationship.

He's pretty cute. Yeah, I'm superficial.

He's definitely a country boy, which is a good fit for Joy, who seems like the most outdoorsy/"country" of all the sisters.

CONS:

His family is just as batshit and awful as hers, though then again, we all thought that the "normal" dudes (Derick and Jeremy, to some extent Bin) would be the secular Aladdins to show the Duggar girls the woooooooooorld, shining shimmering splendid.

Of all the boys who seem like they'd be total douchebags, he ranks very high on my list. Ben seems douchey in a 22-year-old dude sort of way, which he occasionally seems like he's growing out of (but he never fully will). Derick is douchey in that Rudyard Kipling sort of way. This guy seems like he'd be douchey in the Josh/John Shrader/his dad sort of way, which makes me scared for Joy.

Now Jana will be stuck doing all the Jurisdictions because as we know from Jill and Jinger, courting makes you a zombie incapable of anything but texting and doing your hair and inconveniencing everyone.

Forgive me for sounding too un-snarky, but this is the first courtship announcement I've seen that doesn't scream warning signs at me. Don't get me wrong, I've read about his family and stuff so know there's definitely a problem there but they just seem so...comfortable(?) around each other in the video. It really lacks the awkwardness of the others.

I'm clinging on to this hope for now as I know this won't be the case in like a years time! :my_confused:

7 hours ago, marmalade said:

No, he said that was the last time he saw her at Fort Rock. It looks like they started courting the first weekend in October when Mere/Pere Duggar, plus Josh and Anna were on that marriage retreat. With Joy. Looks like that Reddit story was true. 

Reddit story? link please

3 hours ago, Jennifer Hart said:

You've probably seen the video links and other posts by now but the family is just as bad as the Duggars. You can't close doors in the house for privacy, don't dare dress to cause sexual desire in a man and you must be a helpmeet. Joy is just trading one house for another.

It looks like her marriage might even be more restrictive than her sisters. Only time will tell. It's really sad because she was so rambunctious and fun.

I've waded through this entire thread but must've missed this… the only strictest parents episode I can find that's a Texas family with a kid called Austin has a different last name… (Frasier or something). Is there another episode that just isn't listed online? (this is the only one I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fYtKR3v_Lo&t=448s)

3 minutes ago, RhythmicSkater said:

I've waded through this entire thread but must've missed this… the only strictest parents episode I can find that's a Texas family with a kid called Austin has a different last name… (Frasier or something). Is there another episode that just isn't listed online? (this is the only one I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fYtKR3v_Lo&t=448s)

Here it is
http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/39887...family-1.jhtml

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived