IGNORED

Another Duggar Courting - Joy and Austin, Part 2

Destiny

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Volunteer.  it looks like , so just small town boys playing. 

For what it's worth, volunteer firefighters do play a significant role in some areas of the country. There are whole segments of the country that might only have a couple of paid firefighters and supplement with volunteers. I have no commentary on that specific department, but don't automatically dismiss the real and important work volunteer fire personnel do.

Edit: had a quick google, and apparently 69% of firefighters in the US are volunteer.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Destiny said:

For what it's worth, volunteer firefighters do play a significant role in some areas of the country. There are whole segments of the country that might only have a couple of paid firefighters and supplement with volunteers. I have no commentary on that specific department, but don't automatically dismiss the real and important work volunteer fire personnel do.

we live very rurally inside a national forest.  Most of the fire stations around here are volunteer stations- and are critical. they help thin to prevent forest fires.  and in the last few years we've had some huge, record breaking fires. and the volunteers were on those relentlessly, and even after the big national teams and copters were sent in were on the ground giving local insight.  Also, they are generally the first responders around here. So they can be very serious.

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

I know, it sounded much more flip than I wanted it too.  My Uncle was the Chief of the volunteer FD fro 35 years he 2 sons are on the FD now, his oldest son was on as well but he was killed in a car accident, an accident they had to respond to and pull him out of.  These boys like their small towns, like like their gender roles, they like their wives at home and their dinners cooked. Yeah, Joy is just changing her last name and address. Same rules different master. 

Just now, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I know, it sounded much more flip than I wanted it too.  My Uncle was the Chief of the volunteer FD fro 35 years he 2 sons are on the FD now, his oldest son was on as well but he was killed in a car accident, an accident they had to respond to and pull him out of.  These boys like their small towns, like like their gender roles, they like their wives at home and their dinners cooked. Yeah, Joy is just changing her last name and address. Same rules different master. 

I don't disagree that there is a severe gender bias and strict gender roles. I just wanted to throw it out there that volunteer does not necessarily mean untrained crap Alert people. It may, but not always. I knew that there were whole fire companies that were volunteer, but the 69% was actually news to me.

I'm sorry for your cousin - I can't even imagine.

9 minutes ago, Destiny said:

For what it's worth, volunteer firefighters do play a significant role in some areas of the country. There are whole segments of the country that might only have a couple of paid firefighters and supplement with volunteers.

These guys and gals ROCK.  Most of rural America does not have a hydrant at the corner... these peeps bring the water.  And are on call, no pay, and respond.  My hat is off to them!

6 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

These weird-ass videos have got to stop! Do they not know how bizarre and awkward they look??

How unbelievably fake. J'chelle looked like she had to stop and think about the kid's name. And..WTF is up with the apron? That bitch ain't cooked a meal in ages. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm thinking (hoping) the same thing. She's to young. She's the same age as my son, no way he is old enough to adult on his own and he's been allowed to live  "normal" life. 

I know.  My daughter is about 3 months older than Joy.  She's certainly a lot more mature now than even 1 year ago, but still... nowhere near making any sort of lifetime commitments.

So many threads since I last logged on but how old is Joy's boyfriend? He's kind of cute. Austin has been a Duggar hanger-on for years. If you dig through their friend Jennifer Haranto's (sp) instagram, he leaves comments on a few of the Duggar pictures. I thought he seemed to like Jana  more based on some of the comments but again I don't know his age so he might be a bit young for her taste. I mean, it's kind of sad this is all Joy's life will revolve around  but she doesn't have a lot of options. It's either be her parents' house slave or start her own family. It's good they have known each other awhile......like 15 years. If Joy was a "normal" young adult, it wouldn't be that weird for her to be in a serious relationship. 

So, now its the aging/balding Duggar boys and Jana. I can't believe the closest sister her age in the house is now going to be Johanna. The baby who was born during one of their specials.......when they looked like prairie people. what the hell, this is sad guys. I hope Jim boobers lets Jana use her new property as her own business. Maybe a craft store or hell, even a hardware store. She should be a strong independent business woman who goes on vacations with her gal pals and drink her 20's away. Sadly, she will be her parents' helper, nanny, maid, handy-woman forever. Eventually, she'll transition to her parents' caretaker once they are old age. Poor Jana banana has been officially Sarah Maxwell'd.  

4 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

How unbelievably fake. J'chelle looked like she had to stop and think about the kid's name. And..WTF is up with the apron? That bitch ain't cooked a meal in ages. 

I thought the same thing about the apron.

I wonder if Joy is sick of all the "Joy is Joyful and lives up to her name" type comments. I swear that's the only thing they ever say about her.

Josie is going to court before Jana at this point. How many fundie guys are mad Jana keeps on denying their offers? 

This from the Ft. Rock website:

Our “town” also has a library (disguised as an undertaker’s parlor) and an authentic Old West bank storefront, which serves as our faculty office. In between activities, your family may want to have your picture taken in our jail or just hang out at the Trading Post.

So ... the library is disguised as an undertaker's parlor???  Is that so you'll never go in there and get ebil book larning?  Or because you have to die if you're going to get an education?

Was this mentioned already earlier in the thread? I guess she is already on the main ForkRock page in a family photo. Wonder how close we are to an actual engagement at this point?

1.jpg

So, this guy, Austin Forsyth right? I remember him. I think there was some Speculation about him and every duggar. I don't have time to read the el eleventy pages you've wrote, and i'm sure everyone has already mentioned it, but will Jana ever get out of the house?

And Joy is the first Duggar younger than me. It was sad before, but now it's depressing

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Volunteer.  it looks like , so just small town boys playing. 

Those small town boys aren't just playing. They have the same training and responsibilities as the paid guys without the set hours or a paycheck. Many people would die everyday if it weren't for the men and women who volunteer to keep them safe. /rant

I was a vollie for 15 years and a pet peeve of mine is people thinking that we weren't trained or were less than a paid version. Most of my classes had paid or people taking the class so they could get the job. 

16 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

So, this guy, Austin Forsyth right? I remember him. I think there was some Speculation about him and every duggar. I don't have time to read the el eleventy pages you've wrote, and i'm sure everyone has already mentioned it, but will Jana ever get out of the house?

And Joy is the first Duggar younger than me. It was sad before, but now it's depressing

Jana can't leave she has her siblings to raise.

For everyone sad about Jana's singeldom, why? We don't know why she isn't married. Maybe she doesn't want to get married, or maybe she just doesn't want kids. Lay off.

I do believe the first words out of my mouth at this announcement were "Oh donkey balls!" (yes, I've been reading too much of the Joe Ledger novel series lately)

If you can't go to Wallgreens by yourself, you should not be making giant life altering decisions.

2 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

Some highlights

Papa F forces the kids to go to church. Kids don't want to obviously. Papa F in TH says "My family goes to church, if you don't go to church your not my family". Sermon was about how dating leads to divorce. Kids obviously think that's ridiculous and unfounded.

All the women (save for for the "troubled" teen) wearing long jean skirts and flip flops. The dad guilts the girl into wearing more modest clothes as not to 'defraud' him (actual word used). He doesn't want his son to compromised the vow he made, so he makes the girl change. 

On Papa F talking about his children choosing not doing anything physical before marriage, "you don't have to try cocaine to know that its bad"

Papa F: "only time we close the bed room door is when you are changing, because things done in secret are not good"

Unironic use of the word 'helpmeet', '

Oh yuck! That's straight out of the Pearl handbook.

(bolding mine)

When I saw the video, my first thought was "I don't like how he looks at her". And then I came in here and read about his family.

I hope that we're all wrong and Joy doesn't not end up stuck in an even stricter household. I feel sad for her. At least we had hope for the other 3 girls living a more comfortable life... this one, he seems the most fundy yet.

you have got to be kidding me, I hope years down the line Jim Bob is happy with these decisions he's made. 

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

I don't disagree that there is a severe gender bias and strict gender roles. I just wanted to throw it out there that volunteer does not necessarily mean untrained crap Alert people. It may, but not always. I knew that there were whole fire companies that were volunteer, but the 69% was actually news to me.

I'm sorry for your cousin - I can't even imagine.

I agree on the volunteer thing. With the organization I volunteer at, we have to know everything the paid staff does.

Well, I'm almost at a loss for words over this one.  Except:  SOOO glad that Joy is not marrying into the Maxhell compound (the evil that we already know).  Though from all of your insights in Part 1 and these pages, it seems this choice may not be a heckuva lot better.

As I was pondering the "who could it be" question earlier, I truly was thinking that if it were Joy, she seems to be most comfortable when in the country lifestyle -- perhaps riding horses, doing outdoorsy not-so-girlie-girl things.  I sure hope and pray that this Austin dude (whole family still unknown to me and much too tired for a rabbit hole at the moment) is and will be a good guy to and for her.  And that she isn't forced into a differently-named cult.

Might as well blow that wish to the Tooth Fairy, huh?  At least we know whom Joy's been texting non-stop -- even during post-ceremony wedding photo session on the platform.

Dear Lord. The Forsyths seem like something else. It's a shame cos I could've seen Joy do an Alyssa and maybe wear pants, but that ain't gonna happen. 

And yes, how weird for 26 year old Jana to be sharing a room with an 11 year old, a 9 year old, a soon-to-be 8 year old and soon-to-be 7 year old. WTF?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived