IGNORED

Jingermy - We 'Knew' the Bride When She Used to Snarky Eyeroll

HerNameIsBuffy

I'm putting my neck out and saying I'm on #teamDerickmanbun
Its just a little poke in the eye of the Gothardite  khakis n polo shirt dress code.
Give me the manbun over JB's ozone-layer-threatening hair helmet any day.

I like the man bun, at least in the wedding pic. I think he looked neat and tidy.
Ooh, better watch out. Can't have people thinking we're of the mind that man bun = not as fundie as lego hair. [emoji23]

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was your husband fundie too? How did you two meet/date? 

I don't feel comfortable answering this question in public in depth but he was Christian but not fundie. We ended up finding a new spiritual path together.

I caught that glimpse of Derick with his hair down and I do like that. To me, the man bun is his red badge of courage....shows that he lives in SCA as an important worthwhile missionary. So, i don't like it, But he definitely DOES live in SCA, so that is that. 

1 hour ago, sansan said:

This is so true. I often wonder, when did that poster have a sit down with any Duggar, when did you learn to read their minds or what closet were you hiding in to hear or get a feel for what truly was happening? For the most part, we only see what they want projected on the show and we don't see the real thing. I get a giggle from poster's attitudes more than the facts sometimes.

I also see so many say they want the show canceled but where would your material come from then? I consider the show escapism and with that in mind, I don't want it to end any time soon. Don't shoot me, just my opinion.

There is a lot more to FJ than the Duggars.  I usually spend very little time in Duggarville - if they went off the air it wouldn't affect my FJ experience at all.

Fj was started as an offshoot of TWOP where people could talk about off topic and broader scope stuff that Howard would slap you for over there.  It's my understanding that the name came about as a kind of tongue in cheek nod to Jinger, at that time, seeming a little snarkier with the eyerolls and some comments.  

It's evolved into a whole lot more than a place to talk without the watchful eye of Howard's mighty banhammer.  When they go off the air we'll be just fine.

My personal problem with viewing it as escapism is that it's putting a pretty face on a dangerous message.  Although even mainstream people can see the crazy behind the Duggars so while I find them equally abhorrent, I think the Bate's show is far more dangerous.  They're way better at the facade...Duggars (especially Michelle) can't seem to keep the mask from slipping.

7 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I don't feel comfortable answering this question in public in depth but he was Christian but not fundie. We ended up finding a new spiritual path together.

Fair enough. 

I asked simply because I think the way Jeremy "got" Jinger is what sets of my alarm bells off. If they had met on some random mission trip and she weren't already a famous reality TV star, and they found some way to at least communicate in private without parental monitoring, or if he were a fundie too and supervised "courting" was the only form of dating he knew, I would be much happier to jump on board the "Jer might free Jinger!" train.

43 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

THANK YOU! The Duggar adult "children" drive me nuts. One minute they fame whore themselves out alongside their parents and the next they want privacy. Like you said, if they want to have some private moments to themselves, put your foot down and have a private wedding. Meaning no TLC, no magazine press, no posting to your social media accounts seconds after you say "I do". These kids are delusional if they aren't as about the money as their parents. They know without TLC they can't have the lifestyle they desire.

Well, at the base of the entire dysfunction is the fundamentalism because you will notice on this site that people are saddened for the kind of wedding experience that Anna had (borrowed wedding dress, homemade brides maid dresses) yet at the same time feel sorry for Jinger and her custom gown and Jag departure. WELL, without the show and the paps, the J'girls would be sharing a dress and sewing the wedding attire for everyone else. You can not have it both ways. At the heart of it all, is fundamentalism.

I can understand anger at the adult children still making money from People etc. I think the whole family grew used to living off the money. I do wonder however how much pressure  JB still exerts in these matters. JB and Me's main method of trapping their children (as with many groups) has been to deprive them of the education and skills they need to function outside his influence. I think it possible that once Jer and Jinge get to Laredo we'll see plenty on the blog but way less on TLC or in People etc. I think right from the interviews about Joshley there has been coersion /bullying from JB. Jessa seems to enjoy the attention but the others far less so, but let's face what else can they do to make money with the skills they have? Jeremy and Jinger have the best chance so far with his job and her photography potential if they don't make 20 babies I think. The Vuolo's are the sort of family who could help Jinger break a lifetime of indoctrination in quite a few areas.

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!

I really wish I could figure out a way to get that back in the header, but THIS is what we are for. 

I wish I could like your post more times @VelociRapture!

Although if we got rid of the snark then I would have no place here.  

I came for the snark...the fact that I end up learning so much from people on really important issues is...entirely FJ's fault and if being made a better person against my will is the collateral damage of really enjoying reading smartass comments then I can live with it.

Fair enough. 
I asked simply because I think the way Jeremy "got" Jinger is what sets of my alarm bells off. If they had met on some random mission trip and she weren't already a famous reality TV star, and they found some way to at least communicate in private without parental monitoring, or if he were a fundie too and supervised "courting" was the only form of dating he knew, I would be much happier to jump on board the "Jer might free Jinger!" train.

Or maybe he really loves her and like mister d was willing to put up with the parental shit and her fundie baggage because he wanted to be with her. My point is we don't know enough to know.

I think it would have been a lot easier for both of them if they did. I have long hair but if I went to a place without frequent running water, I'd cut it off in a heartbeat. 
Different cultures, different ideas of sanitation. I'm not saying that other people aren't doing it right but with North American belief systems, most people start to feel grimy after a couple of days. I mean the itch alone would dry me bonkers. Of course to each their own but honestly, he should have cut it, in my opinion. 

I actually find long hair much easier to deal with when there's no running water. It can be tied back, so if it's greasy it's less noticeable, and it also takes longer to get greasy, so needs washed less often. So I can't snark on Derick for the man bun in CA; he might have found it easier to manage.

Although if we got rid of the snark then I would have no place here.  
I came for the snark...the fact that I end up learning so much from people on really important issues is...entirely FJ's fault and if being made a better person against my will is the collateral damage of really enjoying reading smartass comments then I can live with it.

LOL B, you know how much I consider being a smartass an endearing trait. Snark will always be a thing here, but my point was that is not all we are and never will be.

48 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I hate that this family, that has made a good deal of money by selling their religious lifestyle, does not appear to be connected to any organized religion, in the sense that they come together each week to support their beliefs and encourage the tenets that they pretend to emulate; including scripture, the Word, servants' hearts and a love for Jesus. Christianity is not about isolation, it's about sharing the good news and making the Lord's words and scriptures ALIVE in the world. 

I'm pretty sure they do have a church. The idea of a home church has been debunked a long time ago, From what I can tell they identify as IFB. They are rather like the Bates in that they have a church, but it doesn't meet in a traditional church building, but does meet weekly. JillRod was clearly tryiing to get herself invited to sing at their church.

They do not seem to advertise their church, though, most likely because they don't want fans/haters dropping in or standing outside. 

55 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

As an addition to this thought, for a verbally religious family, they would not need to venue shop for a wedding ceremony.

It makes sense to shop for a venue if their church is too small or not what they want. I didn't get married at the church I was a member of for two reasons, the first was my husband had been married before and the church would not marry us and the second reason was that I liked the look of another church better. The carpet in the church I was a member of was pink and had a modern look that I didn't want for my wedding. I almost got married at a Catholic monastery, because I liked the beauty of the building. I couldn't afford it, though. 

I for one am happy if the Duggars keep their religious beliefs to themselves and don't feel like sharing their version of the words of Jesus outside their home. 

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

I'm pretty sure they do have a church. The idea of a home church has been debunked a long time ago, From what I can tell they identify as IFB. They are rather like the Bates in that they have a church, but it doesn't meet in a traditional church building, but does meet weekly. JillRod was clearly tryiing to get herself invited to sing at their church.

They do not seem to advertise their church, though, most likely because they don't want fans/haters dropping in or standing outside. 

It makes sense to shop for a venue if their church is too small or not what they want. I didn't get married at the church I was a member of for two reasons, the first was my husband had been married before and the church would not marry us and the second reason was that I liked the look of another church better. The carpet in the church I was a member of was pink and had a modern look that I didn't want for my wedding. I almost got married at a Catholic monastery, because I liked the beauty of the building. I couldn't afford it, though. 

I for one am happy if the Duggars keep their religious beliefs to themselves and don't feel like sharing their version of the words of Jesus outside their home. 

But sharing the good news IS part of Christianity- whether or not we might personally want the Duggars doing so. If they never referenced their religious beliefs or stated that their show was their "ministry," sharing the word would seem over-the-line, but this is their entire purpose (per them). 

You really believe they belong to a congregation and attend weekly services? Who is their congregant and why is this person seemingly not involved in their weddings?

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I was wondering this too. It seems the neatest way for him to wear his hair considering the length it is, much more put together than if it were just shaggy and loose. And it seems a bit much to expect someone to cut their hair just for a wedding they're a guest in. 

I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to cut their hair or make any kind of even semi-permanent appearance change to go to an event.  Personal bias ahead...I haaaate manbuns.  Also not a fan of some buns on women...unless loose with face framing wisps so I'm a equal opportunity bun hater.

I do like long hair on men - as long as it's neat.  One of my sons grew his out this year and its just past shoulder length and it falls in the most fabulous way...think Jim Morrison at his peak.  He puts it in a manbun to wash his face and sometimes cut the lawn and it's a crime against aesthetics.  

I'm a believer in getting the right cut for your hair - if it's impossible to keep hair neat in a current style then get thee to a stylist.

TLDR - like long hair on men, but for more formal occasions neat and down would be my preference over manbuns.  Just opining waiting for software to load - in reality I don't care how strangers wear their hair.

Spoiler

36a2804d9317a042b53bcf12a2be42a5.jpg

1 minute ago, alba said:

I actually find long hair much easier to deal with when there's no running water. It can be tied back, so if it's greasy it's less noticeable, and it also takes longer to get greasy, so needs washed less often. So I can't snark on Derick for the man bun in CA; he might have found it easier to manage.

Agreed. I think it depends somewhat on hair texture, but my hair is easier and requires less maintenance in order to look presentable when I have it long as opposed to shorter. Longhaired Kittikatz can go a week without shampooing - even with working out daily, and when I do wash it, I can just let it air dry or do a twist out with minimal products and it's good to go. When I had shorter hair, it had to be washed much more frequently (every day or two) and I needed a blow dryer and other heated appliances plus masses of products to get it to cooperate. I can understand why the man bun is a practical option for Derrick given his lifestyle. That said, the aesthetics don't do a lot for me, but the fact that it must irritate a few Gothardites makes it more palatable.

56 minutes ago, Lurky said:

so I don't see why it's different for men.

If it's not different for men then he should have gotten Jessa or Jill to curl his hair like the rest of the bridesmaids :P 

ETA: Yes, yes picking and choosing. ;) I know! 

1 minute ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I hate man buns with a fiery passion. But if this annoys JB, then go derick's bun!! :pb_lol:

I'm not a fan of them, myself, but I do like that Derrick is at least breaking a little from the approved fundie "uniform." (The male equivalent of one of the girls chopping her hair to above her shoulders, if you will.)

Baby steps, people. Eensy, teensy, (aesthetically unpleasing) baby steps.  

1 minute ago, eleanora3 said:

Where the heck is this People spread?

Playing coy, just like the Duggars have done with this whole wedding.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

What about bungee jumping [invented, or at least popularized, in NZ, I think?] or walking the top of the Sydney Harbor Bridge? I can't see Jinger being allowed to do either in a long skirt and flip flops.

For bungee jumping, she would have to wear pants regardless of whether the harness was around her ankles or waist.

For the bridge climb, a special jumpsuit is worn over your clothes, and enclosed shoes need to be worn.

The big catch for these activities is they will ask if you are pregnant or if there is the possibility of you being pregnant. If you are less than a certain way along in your pregnancy, you can participate pending approval from a doctor. Given the Duggers stance on birth control, it's unlikely Jinger would risk "maybe" being pregnant with these activities. If they are using birth control however, then they could.

'm sure they'd be encouraged to visit safer activities which would be easier to film. The Pylon lookout on the bridge has fantastic views, the opera house forecourt, Barangaroo. New Zealand has beautiful scenery and lookouts all over the place too. Won't be hard to show them having a good time.

I'm not huge on manbuns, but I tend to prefer long hair on everyone-- male and female. Personally I think most men wear their hair far too short.

#teamderickmanbun

1 minute ago, Kangaroo said:

For the bridge climb, a special jumpsuit is worn over your clothes, and enclosed shoes need to be worn.

Well, count Jing out. We know she doesn't own anything other than flip flops for every day life. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived