IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- Part 23: Even more Duggary

samurai_sarah

26 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

We get up and make the bed. Feet on ground, turn around and make the bed. My adult kids are the same. We could be considered freaks.

Ah shit, I do the fly lady sink cleaning too.

Double freak.

I generally make the bed as I get out of it as well -- made easy by the fact that nothing needs to be tucked in, so it's just pull straight the blankets and/or shake straight the duvet, just like @Palimpsest described.  However, there are always exceptions -- if I have to pee first, well, priorities!  Also if I'm getting up well before dawn then I turn the light on near the woodstove first, build the fire, then go make the bed using that light, before turning it back off once the fire is going...

Yeah, I should probably do the sink thing as well -- I don't dislike doing dishes, but I don't always FINISH doing them -- especially when I'm doing more cooking than usual.  Empty sinks (mine's a double as well) would be a right smart habit.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love thread drift :)  I make the bed every morning when I get up, but it's easy.  Pull up the sheet and tug any wrinkles out of it, then smooth over the comforter, fluff the pillows, and I'm done.  I also wash the few dishes that appeared in the sink between the time I did the dinner dishes and the morning.  If I didn't, those dirty dishes would haunt my thoughts all day.

21 minutes ago, JMO said:

I've never heard of the fly lady. Who is she and what does she recommend ?  And how do you all know her?

Flylady is kinda like weight watchers for those who want to lose weight -- at least, the online version!

flylady.net

Caution: don't sign up unless you're prepared for lots of emails -- I prefer to just read, myself, but if the emails would help motivate you then good, just felt the need to issue the warning, lol

Getting back on track.  On another thread  someone posted the document giving permanent guardianship to the Duggars.  I believe it was shortly before Thanksgiving because there was a picture of Tyler in the Branson pics.   That was also posted on that thread and I believe Pickles had it on her page as well.    I can't for the life of me find which thread it was here.  But it was definitely here since I commented on it. 

Is Flylady the super organized/ decluttering expert who says life is better when you start the day with a clean sink? And putting on shoes as soon as you get up gets you ready to work around the house? I'll pass.....

22 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Is Flylady the super organized/ decluttering expert who says life is better when you start the day with a clean sink? And putting on shoes as soon as you get up gets you ready to work around the house? I'll pass.....

Yes, but I disagree with her about the shoes -- at least for me, that one doesn't work.  I do think I understand the concept behind her choices though -- a clean sink means dealing with one of the things that can build up so fast (dirty dishes) and is front and center visually obvious and thus very discouraging to those struggling with messiness.  And shoes I think is aimed at those who feel kinda aimless and have a hard time "getting underway" with their day, and getting "all the way" dressed passes that threshold for many people.

But I agree with you that those things, plus the apparently multiple daily emails, means it's not my kind of support.

I'm late to the bedding discussion, but I just had to chime in!

I love my duvet and duvet covers, never understood the american way (the sheets just end up in the bottom of the bed)

In the summer I sleep with a lighter duvet (a "summer" duvet) and a heavier one in the winter. If it gets really cold up here in the North I use a blanket on top, or my favourite, one duvet on the bottom and one on the top. It's like a bed of fluff. 

22 hours ago, marmalade said:

I can't access the house data. What am I missing?

Sorry about that; I thought I tested the link and it would work, but apparently not. Here are screen shots, though the link I provided will get you to the search screen, where you can enter "duggar" and go from there.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM.PNGScreen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 001.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 002.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 003.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 004.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 005.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 006.PNG
Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.33 AM.PNG

I marked the lot next door that they recently purchased, too.

A friend of mine had the strangest bedding practice: she puts the fitted sheet on the box spring and drapes the flat sheet across the mattress. I desperately wanted to ask why, but was secretly afraid that I was the only one who doesn't do this.

1 hour ago, halcionne said:

Sorry about that; I thought I tested the link and it would work, but apparently not. Here are screen shots, though the link I provided will get you to the search screen, where you can enter "duggar" and go from there.

Hide contents

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM.PNGScreen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 001.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 002.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 003.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 004.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 005.PNG

Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.32 AM 006.PNG
Screen Shot 12-01-16 at 11.33 AM.PNG

I marked the lot next door that they recently purchased, too.

Theoretically Joy will go live with her husband, but Josh and the J'boys still need local places to keep their helpmeets and broods.  It makes sense for boob to buy up all the land he can now and start building.

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Theoretically Joy will go live with her husband, but Josh and the J'boys still need local places to keep their helpmeets and broods.  It makes sense for boob to buy up all the land he can now and start building.

What I don't understand is why Jim Bob has owned it for two years and is just now remodeling it. It's not making him any money sitting there empty, nor is it housing any of his grandkids, so it just seems like a bad use of funds. Maybe he was renting it out all this time.

It's also such a peculiar property. Was it originally a custom home? I'm thinking yes, after looking at google street view; the gated driveway is emblazoned with the giant initials of CW. It almost looks like a funeral home, what with the porte-cochère (I learned a new word! Thanks, Wikipedia) and so many bathrooms. But it's zoned residential, so I guess not. :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, JMO said:

I've never heard of the fly lady. Who is she and what does she recommend ?  And how do you all know her?

I think she is a housekeeping Nazi. The only thing I do is clean the kitchen and scrub the sink with A-Jax- [the best sink cleaner for the $$$$, IMO] before I go to bed each night. I've never subscribed.

I hate waking to dirty kitchen.

1 minute ago, halcionne said:

What I don't understand is why Jim Bob has owned it for two years and is just now remodeling it. It's not making him any money sitting there empty, nor is it housing any of his grandkids, so it just seems like a bad use of funds. Maybe he was renting it out all this time.

It's also such a peculiar property. Was it originally a custom home? I'm thinking yes, after looking at google street view; the gated driveway is emblazoned with the giant initials of CW. It almost looks like a funeral home, what with the porte-cochère (I learned a new word! Thanks, Wikipedia) and so many bathrooms. But it's zoned residential, so I guess not. :pb_lol:

SUPREME LAZINESS. IT'S GENETIC AND ALL THE DUGGARS ARE AFFECTED.

Yes, I am screaming.

They think they do everything better than everyone else. Pretty easy to be the best at what you do when you actually do little to nothing.

14 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@grandmadugger, can you still learn to quilt even if you can't cut a straight line with a ruler? I want to make a quilt for my guest/grandbabies room but .....I can sew a straight line but not cut one.

Not grandmadugggar, but a sewing avoidant kittikatz... I've had great success making crazy quilts. Cut wise, they are so much more relaxed and creative than the basic quilts I may be able to accomplish, and you can add bits of embroidery and lace to juge it up. I just start with a flat sheet the size I want to make the quilt on, and sew the pieced bits onto the flat sheet. When covered, get some batting and sandwich it between the decorative bit and another flat sheet, tying every 4" - 6" as you like. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but the ones I've made have held up well and look pretty cool.

There are also machines like Cricut and (others including Panasonic) that do the cutting for you. They tend to be expensive, and you would have to research to figure out which would be most appropriate to your application, but it may be something to consider. There are also fabric die cutters that can cut simple shapes and are more durable and less expensive to operate.

Also, a good friend of mine bought her quilt pieces pre-cut off either ebay or etsy. She found a quilt pattern she liked, and apparently there are people who enjoy cutting and will cut specific colours just for you.... you can also buy quilt kits in preset colours.

I love how Kim Jong JB puts everything in a trust.

It's one of the suggestions thrown around in Australia on where to put your money that no one can touch if they come after you.

I'm not sure a trust is such an odd thing. Everything we own is in a living trust. House, cars, insurance policies have the trust as beneficiaries, etc. I am not quite clear on the reasoning behind it, I think something to do with taxes after we die. I just sign where I'm told by Mr. Butt and the accountant...lol. I am so not interested in our finances.

My folks have everything in a trust also. So do my DIL and her folks (but they have a shit ton of money).

21 hours ago, bellina said:

Interesting, this is the first time I've heard that! I am so curious, how is it beneficial to have the duvet molding to your body? I'm totally open to learning about this! The belief here is that part of the advantage of the USian layered top sheet-blanket-duvet system in the winter is that it traps more air and keeps one warmer. Some of us do have to sleep with one foot outside the covers, though, on all but the coldest nights. LOL.

The washable duvet cover, no-flat-sheet thing is getting more popular in the US in large part to the increased popularity of Ikea. :my_smile:

Ahh, Ikea. Spreading the Swedish way all around the world. 

:giggle:

Just want to say one more thing about duvet covers. In Sweden duvet covers have three holes. A big one in the bottom and two small ones on the top corners. That way you just put your hands through the top holes , hold the top corners of your duvet and pulls it up. Very easy. 

The duvet covers at Ikea in Australia don't have the top holes. Soooo annoying. 

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

I'm not sure a trust is such an odd thing. Everything we own is in a living trust. House, cars, insurance policies have the trust as beneficiaries, etc. I am not quite clear on the reasoning behind it, I think something to do with taxes after we die. I just sign where I'm told by Mr. Butt and the accountant...lol. I am so not interested in our finances.

My folks have everything in a trust also. So do my DIL and her folks (but they have a shit ton of money).

Right, a trust itself is a great instrument. It helps you avoid probate issues, estate taxes, keeps the property out of reach of lawsuits... ooh.... yeah.

The issue here isn't the trust itself, it's the uses to which the trust is being put (keeping the property out of reach of lawsuits.) It is a perfectly legal use, but in this case it's morally questionable. Should any of Josh's molestation victims choose to file a civil suit against him or his parents, they have sheltered their assets in a trust.

The other question, given the patriarchal structure of the Duggar family, is whether the trust is also being used to keep the assets out of Anna's reach. Chickenbutt, despite your lack of interest, I'm sure your name is on the trust, and your mother's name is on her trust, and your DIL's name is on HER trust. If any of you divorced tomorrow (God forbid, but hypothetically), you would have a claim on those assets. Since Anna sold her marital home to the trust, does she still have a claim on it? What money would she get if she divorced?

I see what you are getting at. Yes, all of us wives names are on the trusts. I didn't think about it being protection from a lawsuit, but then again, I don't see getting sued in the near future.

You bring up a good point about the protection from lawsuits and Anna's portion of any monies/trust in the event of a divorce. Makes me wonder about Michelle and all the other Duggar women. Are they trustees on any trust account? My curious mind is dying to know who the trustees are. Josh? Granma Duggar? Hmmmmm.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived