IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- Part 23: Even more Duggary

samurai_sarah

Once again, the derailed conversation is more interesting than the original topic. I suspect personal preferences for bedding come from how cold your winters are, at least partly. Making yourself into a burrito seems warmer. That and spooning with a hot-blooded loved one. Does everyone know what spooning is?

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, spooning with a hot-blooded loved one certainly is cozy. And now I am reminded of the time I farted super hard on my ex boyfriend when I was sleeping and the little spoon. He was definitely awake and totally felt it. To this day, all my sphincters seize up whenever I think about it.

RE: The Duggar subject at hand: I wonder if JB makes entirely sound real estate investments. Some of the things he buys and flips seem... Less than desirable, at least in this market. Then again I just experienced the thrill of house hunting this summer and the number of dumpster fires that people would throw their money at really surprised me. 

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

Maybe you didn't know the duvet cover is removable, and generally washed regularly, and in hotels, as a a standard always washed between guests?  There are sometimes other things with no covers, but in English that's "eiderdowns" and should come with sheets etc.  Duvet, by it's nature, has washable cover.

ETA I have no idea about USA bedding (and don't care, except for when it's Duggar-ly denied to kids) but duvets are not inherently unhygienic!  And now I'm laughing at myself about why I care :giggle:

What about hotels where they have a comforter/no duvet cover? And all you have between you and a comforter who hasn't been washed since who knows when is a thin sheet? Or places where you can't tell if there is a duvet cover or not and there is no top sheet?

Clearly I've been to a few cheap hotels :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

@samurai_sarah explained the no top sheet concept well.  The top sheet is just something to get tangled in.

My top sheet always ends up bunched up at the foot of my bed. No idea how that happens. This happens even if my bed is made and I slip into the top sheet that is tucked into the mattress. 

28 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

This is one of the weirder thread drifts I've encountered here, I got all excited when I saw "hot" on this thread and thought something amazing had happened to one of the Duggars. :pb_lol:

That said, I used to love duvets until I moved to the south. I'd rather not die of heat stroke, so I stick to a top sheet and quilt. But add me to the people who "need" to have a fairly heavy top cover--I think it's related to my insomnia. Weighted blankets have been shown to help with symptoms.  https://www.jscimedcentral.com/SleepMedicine/sleepmedicine-2-1022.pdf

Oooh I'll have to look into that insomnia trick.

18 minutes ago, Jana'sHairScrunchie said:

Yes, spooning with a hot-blooded loved one certainly is cozy. And now I am reminded of the time I farted super hard on my ex boyfriend when I was sleeping and the little spoon. He was definitely awake and totally felt it. To this day, all my sphincters seize up whenever I think about it.

That makes me feel so much better about the time I almost vomited on my ex during a make-out session. He was really nice about it and was bewildered at my embarrassment.

2 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I get weirded out by "who else has been snuggling that thing without a washable cover?".

Totally with you there! I use a top sheet AND a washable duvet cover. Like I said, more laundry. LOL

I guess I'm really weird on the whole bed thing. My room frequently runs 55-58 during the winter, so I sleep on a flannel fitted sheet with a flannel flat sheet, 3 fuzzy blankets, 1 single crochet blanket I made, and a duvet. I frequently kick off the duvet, but not usually the rest. 

Weighing in on the bedding issue. As one of the FJ quilters I'm highly disappointed that not one of you mentioned a hand made quillt. Those with afghans are excused. The rest need to stop by the prayer closet until you are willing to let me teach you how to make a quilt. :giggle:

4 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Weighing in on the bedding issue. As one of the FJ quilters I'm highly disappointed that not one of you mentioned a hand made quillt. Those with afghans are excused. The rest need to stop by the prayer closet until you are willing to let me teach you how to make a quilt. :giggle:

Oh, yes! In the US, I generally use the term "comforter" as a blanket term (pun intended) including duvets and quilts. Quilts are great. Amish quilts are legendary.

46 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Mr. Luna likes to be cold doesn’t need a heavy covering and uses a hand made quilt. 

@grandmadugger, can you still learn to quilt even if you can't cut a straight line with a ruler? I want to make a quilt for my guest/grandbabies room but .....I can sew a straight line but not cut one.

My remark about appalling bedding-customs was ment to be a tongue-in-cheek remark about a cultural difference, that I find peculiar whenever I travel in the US (and southern Europe for that matter) and night after night struggle to find rest without a duvet.

Ofcourse I don't think there is one universally "correct" way to make a bed, but just like most US'ians I know seem to find it kind of gross that most of us here have the kitchen trashbag in a holder on the inside of a kitchen-cabinet, then I don't understand why the simple, hygienic, no-hassle duvet+cover solution hasn't been more widely accepted.  

Seriously guys, "bigoted"? 

1 hour ago, ayriel123 said:

I'm not sure if it has been said, but JBob and Michelle have been granted custody of their nephew Tyler Wayne Hutchins.

may god (or whatever higher power thing) have mercy on Tyler

I know this is several hours ago at this point, but I had to chime in about bedding customs! I grew up with a fitted sheet and a flat sheet, first with a comforter as a child, then with a duvet and cover as a teen and into adulthood. My husband is English, and thought it was the weirdest thing ever when he started sleeping over and I had a top sheet under my duvet. When I went over to his place, he just had a duvet and no top sheet. I just assumed he was a guy who had never lived on his own and didn't know better. Even if we stay in a hotel with a top sheet, he sleeps on top of it (which is funny, because I sleep under the top sheet, which becomes a bit difficult to move when he is on it!). But we compromised and have no top sheet at home.

So will part 24 of this thread be called Duggars by the Dozen: The Duvet Wars?

Do we ever seen Tyler in Duggar pictures? For example, when they went up to Branson last week?

I came across a pic of Tyler last week. I can't remember where, but probably either Pickles or the DuggarFamily blog

To preface my contribution to the Duvet Wars: My family are British, and I grew up in Canada.

This meant that around 9 months of the year we did a fitted sheet + duvet with cover, and for the hot months we did fitted sheet, flat sheet and blanket, with the top two layers tucked in on three sides. I learnt at a very young age that it is much, much easier to make your bed in the morning in the winter. Sometimes when we visit now we get a flannel flat sheet under the duvet because the radiator in the guest bedroom sucks, and for that same reason we have a blanket in the room that can go on TOP of the duvet if needed.

Mr Alba and I do the duvet + bottom sheet thing now mostly because I'm the one who gets up first AND I'm the only one who cares about the bed being made. If I want to come home to a made bed, then, it's in my best interests to have a bed that it takes my husband 20 seconds to make in the morning.

The downside to this is that we both hate putting the duvet back in the duvet cover, and we always forget until 10 pm on laundry day. The duvet cover also likes to eat all the other laundry in the washing machine, so I end up dropping pillowcases on the lawn when I go to hang it up.

However, just to throw a wrench in everything, we don't have a fitted sheet at all. Our mattress has a memory foam topper, making it deeper than the average king-sized mattress, and fited sheets would always spring off in the middle of the night. A flat sheet, however, is much larger than the mattress and so can comfortably be tucked in. I did need to teach Mr Alba how to do this because he never grew up with flat sheets (see above comment on sleeping under a tucked flat sheet in the summer).

12 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The real question is - do you all make your beds (duvets or not) every day?  Like Teri Maxwell who gets out of bed and tells everyone that it is vitally important to make it immediately.

I do make my bed before I get back into it.  I confess I sometimes fold back the duvet and leave it until lunchtime - but that's OK because my mama told me beds need to air!  

Yes, I make my bed each morning, partly because I am a reformed night owl and a made bed says "I'm up for the day" instead of tempting me to get back in (in direct contrast to what @Palimpsest just wrote! :my_tongue: ) and also because I am a recovering messy person who is committed to being neat/organized, and making my bed is my version of flylady's sink cleaning rule.   And the last but probably most important reason why I make my bed, is because my house is kinda like a great-room cabin, with the living room, kitchen and bedroom all one big open space, and so anyone who happens to come to visit me will see my bed, so I want it to look neat.

Did not know this many Duggar kids had glasses. (unless some are just wearing them to goof around)

tumblr_ohde1f7frR1uipssao9_500.png

We get up and make the bed. Feet on ground, turn around and make the bed. My adult kids are the same. We could be considered freaks.

7 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Yes, I make my bed each morning, partly because I am a reformed night owl and a made bed says "I'm up for the day" instead of tempting me to get back in (in direct contrast to what @Palimpsest just wrote! :my_tongue: ) and also because I am a recovering messy person who is committed to being neat/organized, and making my bed is my version of flylady's sink cleaning rule.   And the last but probably most important reason why I make my bed, is because my house is kinda like a great-room cabin, with the living room, kitchen and bedroom all one big open space, and so anyone who happens to come to visit me will see my bed, so I want it to look neat.

Ah shit, I do the fly lady sink cleaning too.

Double freak.

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

We get up and make the bed. Feet on ground, turn around and make the bed. My adult kids are the same. We could be considered freaks.

Double freak.

I used to do the fly lady thing, but....new house, no shiny sink! it is porcelain and coming off in spots.. makes me crazy.

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Double freak.

I get up make the bed - wash my hands and smile in the mirror :D

1 minute ago, nst said:

I get up make the bed - wash my hands and smile in the mirror :D

I love that bit!

I never bothered with the FlyLady thing because I don't have one of those fancy double-basin sinks, so I've got a plastic tub in the sink for doing the dishes in, and it doesn't shine very well :pb_lol:

I usually make the bed as soon as I get out of it as well (top sheet/duvet)  - unless my cats are still sleeping.  Then I wait until they get up.

Yep, one of those people.

We do not make the bed. I barely give myself enough time to shower and throw on some mascara before I leave the house so making the bed just doesn't happen. Plus several months ago I read that an unmade bed actually helps keep away dust mites so now I have zero motivation to do it. Not the best source but here ya go: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/news/a34388/reason-not-to-make-your-bed/

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived