IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- Part 23: Even more Duggary

samurai_sarah

8 minutes ago, JillyO said:

How do you even sleep with no sheets/comforter/blanket? I would freeze to death.

Me too! It's just another proof how much they care about their kids...

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, JillyO said:

How do you even sleep with no sheets/comforter/blanket? I would freeze to death.

It's not even about the cold for me - I love my duvets, because it gets cold in winter here, but even when I sleep in hot countries, I have at least a sheet, because it's about the comfort/illusion of protection and security for me.

41 minutes ago, Lurky said:

It's not even about the cold for me - I love my duvets, because it gets cold in winter here, but even when I sleep in hot countries, I have at least a sheet, because it's about the comfort/illusion of protection and security for me.

Yeah, I need a sheet even in hot weather. I have this irrational belief that my toes will be nibbled by gremlins if they escape the bedding.

I blame the fact that I grew up with a cat :pb_lol:

16 hours ago, Lurky said:

@JMO The weird thing for me was seeing the boys' room with no bedclothes, and the girls' with the poofy pink duvets.  I intellectually knew that they don't allow the lads to have blankets (presumably in case they masturbate?  Presumably they don't even imagine girls do?) but it looked so cold, emotionally, to see them lie down without bedding to snuggle under.

Really? I always thought it was just a combination of their usual neglectful parenting and even worse bedding-customs than most Americans (sorry, I'll never get used to you guys just throwing a blanket on a bed and calling it a day. Linen, anyone?), but there's an actual rule against boys having bedding?!

56 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

Really? I always thought it was just a combination of their usual neglectful parenting and even worse bedding-customs than most Americans (sorry, I'll never get used to you guys just throwing a blanket on a bed and calling it a day. Linen, anyone?), but there's an actual rule against boys having bedding?!

I don't know anybody who doesn't at least put sheets on their mattress. 

1 hour ago, Iokaste said:

They have sheets on the bed, but the boys' beds had only a little narrow throw on the beds, and the girls had big pink duvets (with duvet covers, in case you're worried!) - so when the boys "went to bed" they were in all-in-one onesies, and just lay on their beds, while in the totally faked "Michelle reads to the girls and then they go to bed" part, they all scampered off to their different beds and snuggled in.    

I'd seen it referenced on FJ before, that they weren't allowed bedding - and when they added extra bunks in the boys' room, there was no bedding there, but it was really stark to see it in the video.

I'm not caught up, so my apologies if this was posted elsewhere.

What a strange post by Tim and Franicia White on Instagram.

"Yay! A few of these [getting ready for marriage books] came in for some friends who are courting. We like to give these away since it was so helpful for us. We're sorry we're going to miss the gathering in AR where we were hoping to hand deliver these with a note. We'll be sending them in the mail, NK, JD, and GL"

WE ALL KNOW WHAT JD FROM AR MEANS! amiright?  Also kind of strange there are three initials none sharing a last name (parents and a kid would make slightly more sense).

dugg.PNG

45 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

I don't know anybody who doesn't at least put sheets on their mattress. 

Yup, sheets, but usually just "naked" blankets, sometimes with a sheet between you and the blanket, that always slides off and so you have the blanket against your body anyway. 

1 hour ago, Iokaste said:

Speaking of which, something that ALWAYS drove me nuts with the Moving In episode is when the girls were working with Debra the designing lady. She had them put sheets/etc on their beds, but without washing the sheets first. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this, but that just seriously skeeved me out; who wouldn't wash brand new sheets first before using them?

On 11/27/2016 at 3:28 PM, marmalade said:

And now for something completely different: What's Jim Bob up to? The new church for Jeremy that we all predicted?

imageproxy.jpg

I didn't bother looking at these pics until @CorruptionInc. mentioned the bricks and curves. I remember seeing this house on one of the Duggar tax records/real estate searches I do from time to time. I want to say it's 4 bedrooms and the back yard (possibly the whole lot) is fenced into a perfect circle. So weird. And a funky drive through carport at the front door, like hospitals and hotels have for quick checking in and out. I'm off to look for it again.

I found it: http://www.arcountydata.com/parcel_sponsor.asp?item=ACDA66&Page=1

I also found and saved a crummy for sale video from when the Duggs bought it two years ago.

This property and the undeveloped parcel next door were purchased by Duggar Properties, LLC in late 2014. Both parcels were transferred to the revocable living trust in October 2016. Hmm.

2 hours ago, pfled said:

I'm not caught up, so my apologies if this was posted elsewhere.

What a strange post by Tim and Franicia White on Instagram.

"Yay! A few of these [getting ready for marriage books] came in for some friends who are courting. We like to give these away since it was so helpful for us. We're sorry we're going to miss the gathering in AR where we were hoping to hand deliver these with a note. We'll be sending them in the mail, NK, JD, and GL"

WE ALL KNOW WHAT JD FROM AR MEANS! amiright?  Also kind of strange there are three initials none sharing a last name (parents and a kid would make slightly more sense).

dugg.PNG

I assume that Franicia knows three different fundies who are courting. JD clearly equals Joy Duggar.  I just checked the spreadsheet of unmarried fundies and there is one NK listed--Nathan Keller-- but no GLs.

2 hours ago, JMO said:

That's a gigantic house.  10,100 sq ft??  I wonder what it was originally built for.  

How much are the Duggars worth?? The guest house that the girls renovated is a mansion! Who knows how many houses and properties they own. I also remember seeing Josh's car collection/warehouse (I think it was) and they had a lot of nice cars. And not to mention the tattoo parlor Jana JB bought for 90K. Damn, reality TV pays.

6 hours ago, halcionne said:

I didn't bother looking at these pics until @CorruptionInc. mentioned the bricks and curves. I remember seeing this house on one of the Duggar tax records/real estate searches I do from time to time. I want to say it's 4 bedrooms and the back yard (possibly the whole lot) is fenced into a perfect circle. So weird. And a funky drive through carport at the front door, like hospitals and hotels have for quick checking in and out. I'm off to look for it again.

I found it: http://www.arcountydata.com/parcel_sponsor.asp?item=ACDA66&Page=1

I also found and saved a crummy for sale video from when the Duggs bought it two years ago.

This property and the undeveloped parcel next door were purchased by Duggar Properties, LLC in late 2014. Both parcels were transferred to the revocable living trust in October 2016. Hmm.

I can't access the house data. What am I missing?

8 hours ago, Iokaste said:

This is rather disrespectful of another country. But I'm sure it is allowed, but not something I would do personally. 

Yes, people are allowed to be bigoted jerks and we're allowed to call it out.  I have no idea where the poster got the idea that Americans all have inferior bedding practices.  I can honestly say the only bed that I've put not thrown a blanket on without an undersheet was a crib that did have a proper crib sheet on it.  The Duggars are not an example of standard United States behavior.

11 hours ago, alba said:

Yeah, I need a sheet even in hot weather. I have this irrational belief that my toes will be nibbled by gremlins if they escape the bedding.

I blame the fact that I grew up with a cat :pb_lol:

I have the same irrational belief, but I blame my dad because when I was growing up he would tell me monsters would eat my toes if they weren't under the covers.

Just now, HarryPotterFan said:

I have the same irrational belief, but I blame my dad because when I was growing up he would tell me monsters would eat my toes if they weren't under the covers.

When I was a young kid I read a book about a child that didn't sleep under covers and woke up with a rooster on her feet.  Thus started my obsession with my feet covered at all times during the night.

9 hours ago, Iokaste said:

Yup, sheets, but usually just "naked" blankets, sometimes with a sheet between you and the blanket, that always slides off and so you have the blanket against your body anyway. 

We (my husband and I) always use a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, a cotton blanket that's more fitted/tucked-in, and a comforter on top. The sheet does not fall off, and I would freak out if the sheet wasn't in-between me and the blanket/comforter/duvet. Southern U.S. here. Lots of pillows and things, too. ;)

I had strong beliefs about beds requiring 2 sheets & blankets. Then I had a child who wraps herself up in a blanket like a mummy. Add a top sheet to this & it could get dangerous. The sheet ended up around her head & neck, making me nervous about her strangling so I don't bother with her top sheet. It's been years & she still wraps up like a mummy. We call it baby burrito! My bed still must have 2 sheets & blankets.

I also believe only white or pale sheet are acceptable because those patterned sheets give you nightmares. It makes me seem finicky but I don't care.

9 hours ago, Iokaste said:

Uhm, what? Where are you getting this impression from?

I'm sitting here in my bed, which has a fitted sheet under me, and a flat sheet, blanket (which isn't quite necessary), and comforter over it. None of the pieces slide off in the night. When I was traveling and living in Europe, I was always presented with a bottom sheet and a duvet as adequate "bedding" which I was always irritated with. It never felt like enough. Why does the duvet have to lay directly on my skin? Sleeping in American sheets again felt so lush after the minimalist bedding of the UK/mainland Europe. I prefer a comforter that doesn't get as bunched up as the duvets I used in Europe, and even if I bought a "sheet set" I never once received the flat sheet that goes between my body and the duvet/comforter.

I'm not sure where you are located and I'm not sure of the bedding practices across the world. But of the countries I've been to, the USA definitely has the most involved bedding customs. The one country that stood out to me within Europe was Germany, where they were very precise about the folds, etc., but still just a duvet, no top sheet or blanket. I would suggest you avoid that whole continent if the US seems insufficient for you, but Europe is so beautiful that I can't not recommend it.

6 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

I had strong beliefs about beds requiring 2 sheets & blankets. Then I had a child who wraps herself up in a blanket like a mummy. Add a top sheet to this & it could get dangerous. The sheet ended up around her head & neck, making me nervous about her strangling so I don't bother with her top sheet. It's been years & she still wraps up like a mummy. We call it baby burrito! My bed still must have 2 sheets & blankets.

I also believe only white or pale sheet are acceptable because those patterned sheets give you nightmares. It makes me seem finicky but I don't care.

I wrap up like a burrito! I cannot stand to have a sheet between me and my blankie. First thing I do in a hotel is pull all of the tucked in bedding out so I can wrap up. Always at least a sheet in summer, blanket if AC is on!

11 minutes ago, missegeno said:

When I was traveling and living in Europe, I was always presented with a bottom sheet and a duvet as adequate "bedding" which I was always irritated with. It never felt like enough. Why does the duvet have to lay directly on my skin?

Maybe you didn't know the duvet cover is removable, and generally washed regularly, and in hotels, as a a standard always washed between guests?  There are sometimes other things with no covers, but in English that's "eiderdowns" and should come with sheets etc.  Duvet, by it's nature, has washable cover.

ETA I have no idea about USA bedding (and don't care, except for when it's Duggar-ly denied to kids) but duvets are not inherently unhygienic!  And now I'm laughing at myself about why I care :giggle:

In Sweden the duvet has a cover that you wash. When I lived in New Zealand we had a duvet and sheet. I always got it tangled up. I need to be able to put my feet out. Sleeping all wrapped up would be a nightmare for me, but I need to be at least partly covered or I feel naked. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived