IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- Part 23: Even more Duggary

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, alba said:

Hah, yeah, that makes sense about hotel rooms especially!

There must be an art to snuggling under the separate duvets, though, because I would try to snuggle up to Mr Alba and end up exposed and cold *between* the two duvets.

Yeah, I guess it takes some practice. :)

Personally I like to do the snuggling under one duvet and then go back under my own/kick the other person out when it's sleep time. 

If you're more fond of snuggling I think a double duvet is probably a good idea. We have one in Australia and I always end up outside it because Mr. Way steals it. 

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gillyweed said:

What's the difference between a duvet and a comforter?

A comforter is a cover for a bed that's made up of stuffing placed between two layers of fabric and sewn together, while a duvet is a type of bedding that is a soft flat bag filled with down, feathers, wool, or a synthetic alternative. It is protected with a removable, washable cover and is designed to be used on the bed without sheets.

Or as some of us believe it's perfectly fine to use a covered duvet with sheets.  There is also the triple sheeting option. 

On 11/4/2016 at 2:45 AM, endsidehugs28 said:

Just carrying over from the previous thread re: the questions about the Jewish view on abortion if the mother's life is at risk: 

In Judaism, the mother's life always comes first until the baby is born no matter what. Life begins at the baby's first breath. If a baby is unable to breathe on its own outside of the womb (say you have a 19 week fetus or the like), the baby is not viewed as a living being yet. That's not to say Judaism encourages abortion -- I believe it's only permitted by most rabbis if the mother's health is at risk -- but it definitely isn't treated anything like the way conservative Christians treat abortion.

And while one of the most important commandments in the Torah is to be fruitful and multiply, that commandment is only strictly adhered to if the family can provide properly for the new life the parents want to bring into this world. I have a few Orthodox friends who weren't sure whether to start having children or not because some were still in school (college), others didn't feel stable enough in their careers, and one couldn't yet afford more than a one-bedroom home and did not feel it was the right environment for a baby. In all of those cases, their rabbi told them it is okay to wait to have children and advised them to use birth control. Several of my Orthodox friends are on birth control.

I guess in summary, Jews mainly focus on this life that we live on earth. Hell and heaven isn't really discussed much in Judaism. There is actually no specific written doctrine in Judaism concerning any form of the afterlife. There is some talk of the fires of Gehenna, but that's kind of just a mystical Orthodox tradition and not really a Jewish "institution." The focus in Judaism instead is on concepts such as  tikkun olam (healing the world), tefilah (prayer/devotion to G-d), teshuvah (going back to the basics of being a good soul -- sort of like repentance but not really. More like a recommitment to core values ish) and tzedakah (charity and good deeds). 

Of course, this is all distorted in extreme versions of Judaism. Their beliefs probably aren't that far off from fundamentalist Christians. But for a conservative Jew like myself, it seems strange to see religion used as a way to determine what your afterlife will be like instead of what I'm used to, which is more as a guide for living life with the goal of being a good person and leaving a positive mark on the world. It's not done for any sort of afterlife "reward."

Sorry this got really long and off topic. But it's all kind of a good reminder of why the Duggars have no business co-opting some Jewish traditions when their style of religion is very different from the essentials of Judaism. 

What an admirable religious tradition :)

17 minutes ago, Bethella said:

A comforter is a cover for a bed that's made up of stuffing placed between two layers of fabric and sewn together, while a duvet is a type of bedding that is a soft flat bag filled with down, feathers, wool, or a synthetic alternative. It is protected with a removable, washable cover and is designed to be used on the bed without sheets.

LOL I thought 'comforter' was US English for 'duvet'. Duvets are a Swedish invention, known as 'doona' which also the term for them in Australian English.

14 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

To those who use a bunch of thick blankets and things because their room is cold....are you not able to adjust the temp of your house? I am sure that is a dumb question but I just don't get it.

I live in a basement apartment and my upstairs neighbours control the heat.  So it's not only colder because it's a basement apartment, the thermostat is upstairs and I can't turn it up if it gets chilly down here.  

Warm covers for the win.

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

@JesusCampSongs, interesting & enlightening,  thanks. 

@samurai_sarah and @ClaraOswin, exactly about staying warm overnight. In addition to the expense, heating the whole house has a drying effect on everything - furniture, wood construction components, and (worst of all IMHO) sinus membranes. No fun waking up with a crackly, bloody nose!!

In addition to the heating pad, I run a cool-mist vaporizer. Helps whether I've set the temp at 60F or 55F!!

Clara, honest Q: where do you live? I remember years ago when Gilmore Girl chatters were asking why the characters wore winter coats, unbuttoned. Turns out they were folks who'd never experienced winter weather!  It tickled me to realize there are such, right here in N. America !

I live in Nebraska. Our house definitely gets dry in the winter. We have a whole house humidifier that helps a little, at least. The temp in our house basically remains the same all year. A few degrees cooler in winter so I wear pants and long sleeves inside. But not a huge difference.

Jumping in to the blanket discussion, since the permanent guardianship is too depressing, and something I didn't really see coming.

I used to sleep with a top sheet until I bought my duvet, but then got rid of it. It is much more comfortable sleeping without it and much easier to make the bed. So I just use the bottom sheet and duvet. My boyfriend and I live together and he had his own duvet, so now we have two for the really cold nights - it is SO fluffy and warm! 

Currently, I am not using a duvet cover since my old one ripped, and I have not gotten around to getting a new one. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in he US, if that matters. Even though it is winter I prefer something cooler. Maybe something satiny, or soft like it.

24 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I live in Nebraska. Our house definitely gets dry in the winter. We have a whole house humidifier that helps a little, at least. The temp in our house basically remains the same all year. A few degrees cooler in winter so I wear pants and long sleeves inside. But not a huge difference.

Our house gets super dry in the winter too. In addition to the whole house humidifier we also have two room humidifiers.  I still wear pants though 

9 hours ago, alba said:

Oh, on the topic of Swedish duvets:

Mr Alba and I went to Stockholm for our honeymoon. It was a beautiful city, we spent a lovely week there, but there were TWO duvets on our hotel bed. Do couples not share one big duvet in Sweden?

I want to chime in as well! I tried the big double duvet and I hate it. It's so big and gets everywhere. I prefer my own duvet to wrap myself in. And it's not difficult to cuddle under two, and when you're done you can go back to your own duvet. Perfect! 

I'll be the lone dissenter. I DESPISE duvets, if by duvet you mean feather filled blanket that slides all over the bed and Mr. Four grabs and pulls to himself so that he has it hanging on the floor on his side and I have none... I prefer the blankets which are more difficult to get away from me. 

I also eschew a duvet because I get SO hot when I am under one for more than about an hour. Sweating with wet hair hot. No thanks.

We sleep in a cool room, but we warm up the mattress with a heated mattress pad before we get in bed.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I'll be the lone dissenter. I DESPISE duvets, if by duvet you mean feather filled blanket that slides all over the bed and Mr. Four grabs and pulls to himself so that he has it hanging on the floor on his side and I have none... I prefer the blankets which are more difficult to get away from me. 

I also eschew a duvet because I get SO hot when I am under one for more than about an hour. Sweating with wet hair hot. No thanks.

We sleep in a cool room, but we warm up the mattress with a heated mattress pad before we get in bed.

You aren't alone. I am right there with you! :)

With a duvet, you can kick a foot out and then retuck it in your sleep without things sliding around on top of each other.

Interesting that you say that. I always felt like duvets slid (cover against duvet) more than quilts, blankets, and comforters.

Just thought I'd add my 2p's worth, for those who quite like the idea of a duvet but their partner is always stealing it at night, you can just get a bigger one! 

I know bed sizes differ in the US and I'm not sure how it works, but in the Uk we have double beds and kingsize beds (as well as others, but those are the most common sizes for 2 people). My ex was a duvet stealer at night so we got a kingsize duvet for our double bed, it was great! No more waking up cold!

Seeing that we are STILL (again) discussing bedding makes me want to cry. Okay, not actually. But since no one hasn't mentioned the DUGGARS' bedding in eons, perhaps this should be moved to the bedding thread. ;)

2 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Seeing that we are STILL (again) discussing bedding makes me want to cry. Okay, not actually. But since no one hasn't mentioned the DUGGARS' bedding in eons, perhaps this should be moved to the bedding thread. ;)

Nah, the conversation will shift back to the title topic whenever people have stuff to say about that.

I usually think about thread drift as being similar to sitting at a bus stop.  You're just waiting, with nothing much else to do while you're waiting, so you chat about all sorts of unrelated things.  That doesn't mean you're not going to focus on the bus as soon as it shows up...

5 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

The Duggars have bedding?  I thought it was bare mattresses and sleeping in their clothes.  Much harder <snicker> to masturbate without an audience or an informant to tell on you.

11 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

You aren't alone. I am right there with you! :)

Me three! My ex- was a past master at cover stealing, including comforts. I like my comfort now because it's under a stiff-ish,  heavy quilt. 

Until yesterday, to me "duvet"=the removable cover on a comforter! Never too old to discover something new. 

18 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Knock me over with a feather (comforter), @ClaraOswin!  I'd've never guessed Nebraska.  It gets so miserably hot here in Arndt-land that a comfortable 60 in the winter is unthinkable in the summer. The power bills would be through the roof. 

We're in the sub-tropics, climate-wise. One hears a lot more about whole-house DE-humidifiers than the other way round. 

I learn something new *every* day, thanks to my FJ pack!

8 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Nah, the conversation will shift back to the title topic whenever people have stuff to say about that.

I usually think about thread drift as being similar to sitting at a bus stop.  You're just waiting, with nothing much else to do while you're waiting, so you chat about all sorts of unrelated things.  That doesn't mean you're not going to focus on the bus as soon as it shows up...

Some people say they are discussing bedding because the Tyler guardianship topic is too depressing. I get that, but there's no need to do that here, in my opinion. I don't actually expect the pages of duvet chatter to be moved, just saying that in my opinion, that would be nice. (My last post was slightly sarcastic.) But maybe that's because I'm the type who would rather walk 10 miles than have to small talk with strangers at a bus stop. Thread drift that happens for DAYS/weeks on the same topic, with nothing new being said, is sort of over the line and hard to wait out. Especially since the duvet topic comes up at least twice a year here. People love it for some reason. I'll just stop checking FJ for a while. 

1 minute ago, luxfilia said:

Some people say they are discussing bedding because the Tyler guardianship topic is too depressing. I get that, but there's no need to do that here, in my opinion. I don't actually expect the pages of duvet chatter to be moved, just saying that in my opinion, that would be nice. (My last post was slightly sarcastic.) But maybe that's because I'm the type who would rather walk 10 miles than have to small talk with strangers at a bus stop. Thread drift that happens for DAYS/weeks on the same topic, with nothing new being said, is sort of over the line and hard to wait out. Especially since the duvet topic comes up at least twice a year her a year here. People love it for some reason. I'll just stop checking FJ for a while. 

Fair enough about it being your opinion.  I certainly wasn't suggesting you shouldn't have the right to object -- sorry if it came across that way.  I totally understand if it's not your thing.  (I'm not one to enjoy chit-chat with strangers IRL either, but somehow I enjoy it here)

I hope you won't actually stop checking FJ (unless you really want to).  I've noticed that when I look at "unread content" I can see the latest post on each active thread without actually going into that thread.  That's one way I "monitor" threads to see if they are talking about anything of interest to me.

Signed, an FJ member who isn't interested in the Duggars and so posts almost exclusively during thread drift! :my_tongue:

13 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Thread drift is allowed on FJ.  If you want to discuss the Duggars (or the Duggars' bedding) please go ahead and bring the thread back to topic.

5 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Some people say they are discussing bedding because the Tyler guardianship topic is too depressing.

What do you want to say about the guardianship?  Please share your thoughts about it.

7 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

I'll just stop checking FJ for a while. 

Your choice.

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Thread drift is allowed on FJ.  If you want to discuss the Duggars (or the Duggars' bedding) please go ahead and bring the thread back to topic.

What do you want to say about the guardianship?  Please share your thoughts about it.

Your choice.

I have to go to the header just to see what the subject is. Thread drifts are allowed, of course, but days?

13 minutes ago, sansan said:

I have to go to the header just to see what the subject is. Thread drifts are allowed, of course, but days?

Thread Drift is Allowed

Thread drift is a part of the Free Jinger culture.  Please do not whine/complain about threads being off topic, ask people to take off topic talk elsewhere or report off topic posts.  Your posts will be hidden.  If posts are derailing the thread (vs being natural thread drift) a helpmeet will move the post(s) to the proper forum or start a new thread for the topic.  Please don't respond to posts whining/complaining about thread drift.  Just report the post so a helpmeet can hide it and we don't have 5 pages of people arguing about whether thread drift is allowed or not.

http://www.freejinger.org/faq/8-guidelines/

Or perhaps carry on this discussion in the Community Discussion Forum?  That is what it is there for. :)  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/219-community-discussion/

Edit:  Reported my own post so a Helpmeet can handle this.

15 minutes ago, sansan said:

What @Palimpsest said above. Thread drift is allowed and happens without time limits. 

You're free to nudge the thread back to the stated topic at any time.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived