IGNORED

Priss & Pecan, Pt 4: Dump Truck Baby

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Priss and Pecan (and Kelly Jo and Gil, for that matter) would need to sit more than a few rows away. Maybe in the cargo hold...

How about on the wings---didn't they make a "Twilight Zone" episode about that??!!

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Ugh small talk and people crowding your seat. Nope, not for me. I am all for saying hello and being friendly with people but seriously, I have my earphones in. Don't mime taking them out and certainly don't pull them out. I had a guy do that and I was livid. Rude people all around, that's the issue. 

I prevent small talk on buses and planes by pulling out my tablet, pulling up the full-color Kindle edition of my dad's EMT exam study guide, and reviewing the childbirth and evisceration chapters.

When I lived in rural China and used long-distance buses as my primary form of transportation, I never had anyone pull out my headphones, but I did get people getting up in my face because they super wanted to talk to a foreigner. I was OK with it most of the time, since hey, I was the first foreigner some people had ever seen, but other times I just wanted to be left alone. I really wanted to make a T-shirt for long bus rides that just said in Mandarin, "From America. 22. Yes, I am accustomed to China. Of course I can eat Chinese food, what do you think I eat here? My salary is none of your business. No, I will not marry you or any of your relatives."

Their latest instagram photo where Priss is wearing yellow is actually pretty cute .  They went for a run of the mill normal photo and even Davia is smiling.  Pris looks damn good for just popping out a kid with 2 young ones at home.  Those Keller women are birthing machines.  I just wish the factory would take a break every so often.... 

17 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I would rather sit on a plane next to three screaming babies sitting on top of each other in an overcoat masquerading as an adult than sit next to one adult stranger who would attempt to have small talk with me.

Crying babies on planes bother me a lot less than overhearing loud, boring conversations. And I also would never assume that the parents of a crying child are "doing nothing." A lot of babies experience a "witching hour" everyday in which they will just cry, cry, cry, no matter what. Mine did.

OMG, yes.  I took a red eye from LA to NYC a few months ago - there was an older lady in the row in front of me making inane comments to her grumpy husband, and I wanted to jump out mid-flight.  Yes, I had headphones, but the volume needed to drown her Edith Bunker-voice out wasn't conducive to sleeping.  I actually sort of felt sorry for her, as it was clear that her husband found her incredibly annoying as well.

I love the new family picture on instagram. I love Davia's fake smile and Phillip is eyeing something off to the side with a frightened face. I think he sees the dump truck. 

On 2016-12-02 at 5:58 PM, bal maiden said:

. Funny how it's okay for someone to say that they have the privilege not to be around kids, and that's okay, but for someone to say that they should have the privilege of not dealing with a person of another colour or religion or life choice would be shocking and unacceptable. Children are still people. 

This was a few pages ago but what am I missing here?  I am not seeing the relevance of this.  If these people of another colour or religion or life choice were kicking other passengers' seats or crying robustly throughout the flight then, yes, there is a comparison to be made.  I actually don't mind babies on flights because I have the utmost sympathy for the parents, and hope for their sakes that their baby has a peaceful flight.  

But if anyone reclines their seat abruptly, spilling my coffee (it happened), and leave it reclined for the duration, or allow their thigh to touch mine, or hog the fucking armrest, or repeatedly kick my seat or scream their heads off for hours on end, then that would definitely result in pissing me off, be they infant or adult.  Maybe I missed the point completely. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time.

Hahah oh Davia and Phillip! Those two crack me up! Man that is a massive bow as well. Does Paul have an Indiana Jones hat on his knee? 

They posted another family picture on FB and they all look lovely except David. Who looks like a doof in his khakis and cowboy hat...

8 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Hahah oh Davia and Phillip! Those two crack me up! Man that is a massive bow as well. Does Paul have an Indiana Jones hat on his knee? 

Each kid has such appropriate facial expressions for their lives.

Paul: Aw yeah, firstborn male. It's good to have balls. If I turn out straight and cis, my life is basically awesome.

Davia: I have gazed into the abyss and it has gazed back at me.

Phillip: *Scoping out best escape route*

I feel like David would look slightly less creepy if his eyebrows weren't completely see-through. (Or if he just dressed and groomed himself like a normal person, that would be fine too. But the see-through eyebrows on top of everything else is just too much.)

20 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

It is a cute picture for sure. The kids crack me up, too. Am I missing something, or did Priscilla color her hair? Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but more yellow than I can remember it being. Speaking of which, is hair coloring considered a no-no in the Fundie world?

Have to put my 2 cents into the "kids on planes" discussion: 
Let's face it, during the past few decades, flying has become a barely tolerable experience for most of us.  Unless you're in 1st class, the seats are going to be severely cramped and uncomfortable, the food expensive and barely palatable, the recycled air dehydrating as well as possibly germ-laden, the bathrooms putrid if you're even lucky enough to get to one while the cart is in the way...and yes, there are going to be babies and children on board.  
Infants and small toddlers who might cry because they're hot or cold, uncomfortable and cramped, bored, hungry, or their ears hurt from the pressure, have all my sympathy.  Because I usually feel that way too!  If I can make siily faces at a baby and distract them from crying, help out a mom or dad by watching their baby while they go to the bathroom, chat with an unaccompanied minor if they want to, help a mom or dad get the baby into the carrier when we're ready to exit...I'm happy to do all of those things.  I have this "we're all stuck in this shitty place together, so let's all try to make it better for each other" attitude. 
Where my attitude breaks down, is when parents totally ignore their children when they kick my seat from behind, run up and down the aisle yelling and flinging themselves to the floor, play with their seats like they're riding a bucking bronco while spilling my coffee into my lap, and their parents do nothing - this is where my patience ends.  When that happens, most of the time the kids are polite and they stop doing that when I turn around and ask them to please quit doing that.  The parents give me dirty looks - how dare I correct their Snowflakes' behavior.  After all, children are part of the world!  We all need to learn to deal with them!
Can't help but think, these are the same parents who make eating at restaurants so unpleasant for adults.  As well as for families whose kids know how how to sit in their seat, choose what they would like to eat from a menu, make conversation while they wait for their food, maybe color the kids' menu with crayons if they are preschool age, then eat their food with utensils and napkins.    Is this really so hard?          

19 minutes ago, PraiseDog said:

How come the "Dump Truck Baby" title of this thread reminds me of 

I did love STP back in the day. Such a tragic story about Scott Weiland; he had great talent.

On Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 4:03 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

Priss and Pecan (and Kelly Jo and Gil, for that matter) would need to sit more than a few rows away. Maybe in the cargo hold...

Actually, I might ask for a cargo hold seat for myself if I ended up sitting next to that fucking annoying whatshernameagain younger Mally daughter (the younger sister of the Prince Charming writer). She has told on their blog how she likes to harass people on airports and planes because they are stuck with her and have nowhere to escape. Such a lovely young woman.

About the new family photo... That's by far the best photo I have seen of them. Priscilla looks really good and I even like Davia's gigantic flower (I don't know what's wrong with me, I usually hate those).

1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Actually, I might ask for a cargo hold seat for myself if I ended up sitting next to that fucking annoying whatshernameagain younger Mally daughter (the younger sister of the Prince Charming writer). She has told on their blog how she likes to harass people on airports and planes because they are stuck with her and have nowhere to escape. Such a lovely young woman.

I think if I were stuck next to the youngest Malley daughter, I'd tell her I'm doing my devotions. Today's verse is Psalms 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God." I must spend the flight meditating on this verse, and it would be sinful if she interrupted me.

11 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

I feel like David would look slightly less creepy if his eyebrows weren't completely see-through. (Or if he just dressed and groomed himself like a normal person, that would be fine too. But the see-through eyebrows on top of everything else is just too much.)

I laughed way too hard and way too long at see through eyebrows. 

Angry post ahead.....

Wish I hadn't stumbled into this thread. Because I would really like to give a big old middle finger and a "fuck you" to a lot of people over here.

Seriously. Some of the generalizations in this thread have really pissed me off. I know I'm overly sensitive to this topic due to my current circumstances and whatnot. But I just need to vent a little. If everyone else can gripe about kids and their parents then I assume I can gripe about them. 

I am took lazy to go back and quote people. Not even sure who said what. I'm sure people I typically like/respect could have posted stuff that has pissed me off tonight but whatever. I still need to angrily respond.

Someone mentioned telling a toddler to stop kicking their seat and the kid understood or some shit. Well, that's great for THAT child. But I know that my child would not understand that. Trust me...I try, non-stop, every single day to help him with receptive language. But you could tell him something bothers you until the cows come home and it won't make a bit of difference. You can't assume that all children of a certain age will be able to comprehend everything. Or act a certain way. That isn't realistic.

I was already dreading flying with my son next year. Yeah...dreading our vacation. Kind of sad, really. And now I'm dreading it even more because I know that so many clueless people, just like some posting here, exist in the world.

I know people will look at my son and think because of his age...he should be acting a certain way. And you know what....I would fucking LOVE if he would act "normal" or whatever idiots in the world want to call it. Trust me...it would make my life a lot goddamn easier. 

And people talking about parents doing nothing when their kid is upset. Did it ever occur to you that in some cases, acknowledging a behavior can actually make it worse? Because yeah...that's a thing that happens. Trust me. Because in public places (that I, God forbid, take my child to), I've had to do what is "socially acceptable" and "expected" and you know what it does? It makes my son even louder. It's to the point where I have to decide if I just never take my child anywhere or if I try to help get him used to public places.

Someone in this thread talked about kids in restaurants. And asked "is this really so hard?" Why yes...it is hard for some people. If you want to give me some magical, wonderful advice that my son's two occupational therapists haven't been able to give me....maybe you can help me get him to eat while sitting in a chair, use his utensils, and a napkin. And while you're at it, if you could help him learn to copy a line on a paper using a crayon...that would be great. Because after almost 2 years of therapy....we still struggle. But apparently you must be some parenting wizard so maybe you can help me out.  (But don't worry...we have chosen not to take our son to restaurants so you're safe there.)

Seriously, people....have some compassion. Have some empathy. You don't know what some people are going through every single day of their lives. You don't know what kinds of struggles they have. You can't see those things just by looking at someone.  (And if you have kids...please try and raise them to be compassionate and empathetic people as well.)

I am basically contemplating becoming a shut-in with my son now. So thanks for that.

((Hugs)), @ClaraOswin.  

There will always be judgmental people; sad fact is they have no idea about the lives other people live.  A failure of imagination, maybe?  

Many of us here understand having a child with challenges. Sounds to me like you are doing a great job in some tough circumstances. 

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:32 AM, Incognito22 said:

I just wish the factory would take a break every so often.... 

No "union" there, just sweet fellowship...

I agree with the above poster about some of the crap said on this thread about kids in public. Most people have no compassion or really want to understand what parents of, especially special needs kids really go through. It doesnt make me angry anymore because i just expect it. I have accepted that im doing this life on my own. Strangers and even family barely muster a small amount of empathy, let alone help or support in any way. And that has to be ok because i still have to do it. 

Some people qualified their statements that they werent talking about kids with challenges but the sentiment of your words still resonate and your qualifications fell on deaf ears. Also know that many people have challenges that atent immediately visible. 

And the poster who went on about overweight "jerks". Wtf so insensitive and hateful. I cant. 

@ClaraOswin Thank you for sharing your perspective. I think it is important to not be quick to judge others for this reason. We don't always know the whole story. Parents can attempt to be prepared and do everything they can to have an outing go smoothly, but sometimes stuff happens. I have had my daughter pack a bag of stuff to do only to have her later show no interest in anything in the bag.

I hope your flight next year goes smoothly and that you are near compassionate people.

Thanks. It's just so frustrating sometimes. I mean, sure...there will always be parents who suck and make no attempt and ignore their kids and stuff just out of laziness or whatever. But as an outsider...you can't always tell if that's the case or if there is more to the story.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived