IGNORED

Priss & Pecan, Pt 4: Dump Truck Baby

samurai_sarah

I have never seen that. The whole concept just boggles my mind - is it real? Are people really making such huge life choices on TV?

You would be shocked but yes, they do indeed make those choices right out in the open. The viewers get the whole train wreck vibe, as they watch this person ignore everything so that they can marry the person of their dreams. Then get left once the Green card is in hand. [emoji849]

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kunoichi66 said:

I have never seen that. The whole concept just boggles my mind - is it real? Are people really making such huge life choices on TV?

I'm sure it's as real as any of TLC's other reality shows :pb_rollseyes:

I would guess most people who choose to marry someone from another country for completely legitimate reasons would not choose to be on this show. Because who wants to invite that kind of scrutiny for no reason?

In get what the OP was saying, though. I have been "proposed to" several times on buses in rural parts of poorer countries I was living in. America is still the land of opportunity to some. 

On the other hand, I also had a number of Eastern Europeans tell me that they would never visit the US because it was too dangerous with too many guns. 

@BackseatMom, the leader of our local chapter of Moms Demanding Action for Gun Sense in America has recently moved back to the US after living on a military base in Germany for some years.  She could not get used to some Americans' love of guns and neither could her kids.  

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

You would be shocked but yes, they do indeed make those choices right out in the open. The viewers get the whole train wreck vibe, as they watch this person ignore everything so that they can marry the person of their dreams. Then get left once the Green card is in hand. emoji849.png

That must hurt when they leave.

3 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

I'm sure it's as real as any of TLC's other reality shows :pb_rollseyes:

I would guess most people who choose to marry someone from another country for completely legitimate reasons would not choose to be on this show. Because who wants to invite that kind of scrutiny for no reason?

It doesn't seem....ethical to to do that, really.  If they are marrying legitimately, doesn't that mean TLC is basically an arranged marriage broker?

I know that dating agencies exist, but they aren't normally profiting off what they do to quite the same degree, are they?

It doesn't seem....ethical to to do that, really.  If they are marrying legitimately, doesn't that mean TLC is basically an arranged marriage broker?
I know that dating agencies exist, but they aren't normally profiting off what they do to quite the same degree, are they?

Well they apply to TLC, after they have met the one, when they are planning on bringing them here on the K-1 visa. Then TLC will decide if they are as big a train wreck as they think and therefore will have people watching.
Not all fiancés leave though. I'm not sure how many from the show have but the biggest schemer was Mohammad and his sucker was Danielle. I guess it's always a risk and if you can get a little TLC paycheque to go with it...why not?

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Well they apply to TLC, after they have met the one, when they are planning on bringing them here on the K-1 visa. Then TLC will decide if they are as big a train wreck as they think and therefore will have people watching.
Not all fiancés leave though. I'm not sure how many from the show have but the biggest schemer was Mohammad and his sucker was Danielle. I guess it's always a risk and if you can get a little TLC paycheque to go with it...why not?

When you put it like that, I guess it makes (slightly) more sense.

My mind is still boggling though.  Maybe some more tea and sponge will make it stop, where are those rescue ferrets?!

On 12/13/2016 at 9:57 AM, BackseatMom said:

In get what the OP was saying, though. I have been "proposed to" several times on buses in rural parts of poorer countries I was living in. America is still the land of opportunity to some. 

On the other hand, I also had a number of Eastern Europeans tell me that they would never visit the US because it was too dangerous with too many guns. 

My students behaved for a whole week (which was pretty extraordinary) after I answered "yes" to "do you have guns in your house in America?" and "have you ever shot a gun?"

I'm totally pro-gun control, totally pro-bans on assault rifles, but when I was growing up, my dad and I would go target shooting together a lot. He's also very pro-gun control; he just likes target shooting.

And as for the marriage proposals, I'm pretty sure it was a combination of "land of opportunity", a genuine shortage of women (thanks, One Child Policy!), and a joke. The weirder thing I encountered was a bus driver and a taxi driver trying to abduct me so I could teach their kids English. And by abduct I do mean that they tried to prevent me from leaving the vehicle and attempted to drive me to another location -- I made a huge scene and started crying both times, so they let me go. I'm glad you value your kids' education that much and I know that you mean me no harm, but please don't kidnap me.

9 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Pecans in Wisconsin! Davia still amuses me! 

I like Paul's hat; it's my favorite color, & it's cute, too. 

Davia's face in the top picture (& facial expression in the bottom left one, too) is priceless: "What the hell is all of this white shit? And why is it so damned cold? Get me some hot chocolate, dammit, & stop smiling like a buffoon!"

Well, at least Davia does not need to wear a skirt over the snow pants, there seems to be at least some common sense in the Wallers *wait, did I just say common sense and Waller in one sentence?*

Well, at least Davia does not need to wear a skirt over the snow pants, there seems to be at least some common sense in the Wallers *wait, did I just say common sense and Waller in one sentence?*

And I'm gonna guess from no full body pics of Priscilla, she was the same.

Can't defraud anyone in snow pants. Can't let people know we have legs!

As a Family. As a family. As a family. David, do you think the people don't realize you, Pris and your kids are a family. If Pris and one or all kids go play in the snow is it not still as a family? Are you afraid people think you're shacking up and not considered a family? It's just so weird. Why not just say ' we had fun'. 

16 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

As a Family. As a family. As a family. David, do you think the people don't realize you, Pris and your kids are a family. If Pris and one or all kids go play in the snow is it not still as a family? Are you afraid people think you're shacking up and not considered a family? It's just so weird. Why not just say ' we had fun'. 

Unless he keeps stressing the "as a family" part because he wants to paint himself as a really involved Dad. Some Fundie Dads like to be seen as the ultimate authority and the family decision maker, but are really checked out from their family on a day to day basis.

For example, I can't picture David Rodrigues out in the snow, genuinely playing with his children. Granted, this may be a Waller photo op, to convey family togetherness.

38 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

Isn't one of the goals of Fundiedom to focus on the family?  (See what I did there?)

To have fun could (potentially) be seen as a defrauding activity. However, I suppose that it can depend on what the actual "fun" activity is, of course.

5 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Isn't one of the goals of Fundiedom to focus on the family?  (See what I did there?)

To have fun could (potentially) be seen as a defrauding activity. However, I suppose that it can depend on what the actual "fun" activity is, of course.

@LadyCrow1313, are you in danger?  Does Steve Maxwell have your family?  Is he forcing you to make posts?

Blink twice if you need me to send the rescue ferrets.  

1 hour ago, Odd1Out said:

They have the most awkward captions on Instagram out of all the fundies I pay attention to. Also, why the random capitalizations? 

7 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

And where was Phillip?  Isn't he part of the family?  Hope he was warm and safe inside.

6 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I can't picture David Rodrigues out in the snow, genuinely playing with his children. Granted, this may be a Waller photo op, to convey family togetherness.

I can't picture the Rodrigues kids genuinely playing.

20 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

Because they're a family! :P No because David is odd. 

Paul & Davia are really cute in their snow suits.  Davia looks like she wants to be someplace warm ASAP.

On December 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Odd1Out said:

This.  It's so... awkward.  Like maybe he's playing the persona of Dad here but doesn't really feel it normally or something.

2 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

This.  It's so... awkward.  Like maybe he's playing the persona of Dad here but doesn't really feel it normally or something.

I think maybe SOTDRT writing wasn't his best subject.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:34 PM, LadyCrow1313 said:

Well, you gotta admit that some of our snarkees take the "fun" out of "fundamentalism."  Steve Maxwell---now there's "something to think about."

I have nothing of relevance to add here except to say every time I scroll past this thread title I hear the B52's singing "Dump Truck Babyyyy!" That's where it's at.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived