IGNORED

Priss & Pecan, Pt 4: Dump Truck Baby

samurai_sarah

It's easy to judge and sometimes hard to have compassion. We all get jaded. I'm trying my best not to be irritated. Although, neglectful parent let her kid run wild in a coffee shop today, I ended up wearing some very hot peppermint tea. Neglectful Mom got the bill for a fellow customer's spoiled laptop. She really should have been paying attention to him and not her phone. Not the child's fault, he was just trying to get her attention. 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ClaraOswin, if it helps, the absolute worst flight we had with our son was from LA (ironically we'd been to Disneyland) back to Sydney, leaving very late at night.  He was asleep but had three extended sessions of night terrors on the plane. Think a 7-8 year old screaming, throwing his tray down the aisle, kicking, biting me when I tried to restrain him. The flight attendants ran away (mind you, there was nothing they could have done), my husband and I held his arms and his feet to try to stop him kicking and pushing on the seats.  He'd go on like this for maybe five minutes, then go back into normal sleep...until it started again 40 minutes later...and repeat.  It was horrendous.

You know  what?  People were kind.  I think they could see we were doing our best.  We apologised to the people around us. One lady asked if she could pray for him (I'm not religious but hey I was happy to take whatever help was offered in this situation), and another passenger said it was ok, he was a special needs teacher, he understood.  It was a few years before I attempted another long flight with him, but it's never been as bad as that again, and he manages long flights reasonably well now.

And Disneyland itself? He loved it.  

Looking at the picture of the families spelunking a few weeks ago, it occurred to me it's a weird coincidence all of the family names end in an "er" sound:

Keller
Shrader
Duggar
Waller

As this has probably been noted before, we now return you to your regularly scheduled snark.

1 hour ago, Karma said:

@ClaraOswin, if it helps, the absolute worst flight we had with our son was from LA (ironically we'd been to Disneyland) back to Sydney, leaving very late at night.  He was asleep but had three extended sessions of night terrors on the plane. Think a 7-8 year old screaming, throwing his tray down the aisle, kicking, biting me when I tried to restrain him. The flight attendants ran away (mind you, there was nothing they could have done), my husband and I held his arms and his feet to try to stop him kicking and pushing on the seats.  He'd go on like this for maybe five minutes, then go back into normal sleep...until it started again 40 minutes later...and repeat.  It was horrendous.

You know  what?  People were kind.  I think they could see we were doing our best.  We apologised to the people around us. One lady asked if she could pray for him (I'm not religious but hey I was happy to take whatever help was offered in this situation), and another passenger said it was ok, he was a special needs teacher, he understood.  It was a few years before I attempted another long flight with him, but it's never been as bad as that again, and he manages long flights reasonably well now.

And Disneyland itself? He loved it.  

Glad to hear people weren't complete assholes on the flight. That sounds like a very stressful time. Happy he liked Disneyland though. Our son did pretty well on our last trip. He did scream at some points. And he got air sick (thankfully vomit only got on us and the aisle.) I basically tried not to look at anyone else because I didn't want to see glares. But we did have a couple of nice people tell us our son was cute and stuff.

I think people are probably a little more lenient with a 1 year old though.

And to the topic of this thread....since I haven't been following David and Pris much lately....what is the title in reference to?

Oh.......wow.

I hope whoever took those is not a professional photographer.

That's like every newborn Pinterest fail photo all in on blog entry.

I feel bad that I laughed.

3 hours ago, imokit said:

@ClaraOswinPecan and Priss had a new baby and took some impressively awful newborn pics including some of him in a toy dump truck.

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/2016/10/22/phillips-2nd-day-pictures/

I just showed these to my boyfriend and he was more alarmed by the one of Philip on the tree stump. He said it looks like some kind of Wicker Man type ritual sacrifice :pb_lol:

David seems to care a lot about his image since after all the flack they received from these pictures, they had a professional photo shoot done a few days later.

I feel bad for whoever took them because I'm sure they tried their best and all that. But if they are trying to do it professionally, it may be time to invest in some classes or something.

20 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I feel bad for whoever took them because I'm sure they tried their best and all that. But if they are trying to do it professionally, it may be time to invest in some classes or something.

Or a different hobby/job. I'm not artistic and I know nothing about photography and it's the most obvious thing in the world to me that those pictures are horrible. Like, if I hired someone to photograph my baby and that's what they showed me, I'd be looking around for Ashton Kutcher. If they think these pictures are in any way passable, they might be beyond help.

I've noticed that so many people these days just buy a "fancy" camera and then call themselves professional photographers. But they know next to nothing about photography, how to use the camera, or how to edit photos. 

I have a cheap point and shoot camera and know nothing about photography....and their photos look basically like mine. I see it a lot on my Facebook news feed (family and friends) and I just cringe every time.

13 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

And the poster who went on about overweight "jerks". Wtf so insensitive and hateful. I cant. 

I think the issue was with spending several hours on a plane next to someone so large that they couldn't fit into their own seat with their body literally occupying part of the seat the stranger next to them paid for.

My own experience was being next to a non obese woman with very broad shoulders, she literally took up her entire seat and 1/3 of my seat for an entire 5 hour flight. It was very unpleasant for me and I ached afterwards from being shoved sideways by her shoulders.

The airlines have policies - if you cannot fit into the seat you paid for then you need to buy 2 seats. If that policy is discriminatory against obese people or NFL linebacker sized people (and it may be) the issue is with the airline, not the innocent passenger who should get all of the seat that they paid to occupy and shouldn't be expected to 'share' it w/ a stranger.

On the subject of crying babies on planes, I'll take that over the yowling cat under my seat on my 12 hour flight from Frankfurt 20 days ago - yikes, that was one unhappy cat, I even heard it as I beat a hasty retreat through customs at the airport. But I prefer the crying baby and the yowling cat over a prostelitizing stranger next to me on a plane - now that would be a nightmare!

3 hours ago, sndral said:

I think the issue was with spending several hours on a plane next to someone so large that they couldn't fit into their own seat with their body literally occupying part of the seat the stranger next to them paid for.

My own experience was being next to a non obese woman with very broad shoulders, she literally took up her entire seat and 1/3 of my seat for an entire 5 hour flight. It was very unpleasant for me and I ached afterwards from being shoved sideways by her shoulders.

The airlines have policies - if you cannot fit into the seat you paid for then you need to buy 2 seats. If that policy is discriminatory against obese people or NFL linebacker sized people (and it may be) the issue is with the airline, not the innocent passenger who should get all of the seat that they paid to occupy and shouldn't be expected to 'share' it w/ a stranger.

On the subject of crying babies on planes, I'll take that over the yowling cat under my seat on my 12 hour flight from Frankfurt 20 days ago - yikes, that was one unhappy cat, I even heard it as I beat a hasty retreat through customs at the airport. But I prefer the crying baby and the yowling cat over a prostelitizing stranger next to me on a plane - now that would be a nightmare!

Eh, obese people I wouldn't make much of a fuss about unless space invasion was clearly intentional. Some people are big, unless the Russians shoot us down the time spent being a bit squished is temporary, and as long as everyone's doing their best not to inconvenience others, whatever.

After flying a whole lot in the past few years for work, relocation, and travel, I realize that I only hate the following people on planes:

"HI CAN I TAKE THE SEAT YOU PAID GOOD MONEY FOR SO I CAN MAKE OUT WITH MY BOYFRIEND FOR THE DURATION OF THIS FLIGHT?" (Parents/children who want to switch seats so they can sit together are OK, people who can't be a few yards away from a significant other for three hours have a serious problem)

Clearly non-disabled/neurotypical children over the age of five acting like little hellions with no consequences from their parents

Parents who are more focused on the in-flight movie and free booze to control/entertain/take responsibility for their children

Entitled assholes who think flight attendants are their personal sky-slaves

Flight attendants (and passengers) who think that yelling magically makes non-English speakers understand English

People who use plane rides as an opportunity to proselytize (thankfully have never run into this)

Racists who freak out about Muslims reading stuff in Arabic, speaking Arabic, praying, or just existing (though if a Muslim guy started proselytizing to me, I'd get mad -- I don't give a fuck what religion you are, leave me alone)

People who think that airplanes are awesome socializing clubs and the girl sitting next to you who's wearing earbuds, reading, and not looking at you is totally down to have a conversation for the next six hours

Babies and special-needs kids/adults get a pass, since they're dealing with the crappiness of air travel in the best ways they can. I also give some leeway for cultural differences and language barrier-related frustrations, but basically, if you are capable of it, sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up, respect personal space, and don't block the entire aisle fiddling with your enormous carry-on when it's time to get off the plane.

@nastyhobbitses how can you tell a child is clearly neurotypical? Lots of conditions have varying degrees of severity and no phyical manifestations. Non severe autism, anxiety disorders, some developmental delay, adhd, very tall children (who therefore look older then they are), even an ear infection can make a child who looks well have a reason to struggle in public.

2 minutes ago, imokit said:

@nastyhobbitses how can you tell a child is clearly neurotypical? Lots of conditions have varying degrees of severity and no phyical manifestations. Non severe autism, anxiety disorders, some developmental delay, adhd, very tall children (who therefore look older then they are), even an ear infection can make a child who looks well have a reason to struggle in public.

You're right, now that I think about it. You really can't tell. I guess my litmus test has always been that if the kid is crying/seems anxious/stimming, I figure they can't help it and they gotta do what they gotta do. If the kid is laughing while kicking seats/throwing stuff and the parents are doing nothing to redirect them, I get pissed.

I'm not going to give dirty looks or make judgey comments (except maybe in my head); I just want kids to behave themselves to the best of their ability. My general policy is to just mind my own business and keep my annoyance to myself, because either I'll end up being a dick to a disabled kid (which I wouldn't want to do), or I'll end up on the receiving end of a "how dare you impinge on my special snowflake's need to act like a dick in public" rant.

On 12/7/2016 at 10:43 PM, ClaraOswin said:

Angry post ahead.....

Wish I hadn't stumbled into this thread. Because I would really like to give a big old middle finger and a "fuck you" to a lot of people over here.

Seriously. Some of the generalizations in this thread have really pissed me off. I know I'm overly sensitive to this topic due to my current circumstances and whatnot. But I just need to vent a little. If everyone else can gripe about kids and their parents then I assume I can gripe about them. 

I am took lazy to go back and quote people. Not even sure who said what. I'm sure people I typically like/respect could have posted stuff that has pissed me off tonight but whatever. I still need to angrily respond.

Someone mentioned telling a toddler to stop kicking their seat and the kid understood or some shit. Well, that's great for THAT child. But I know that my child would not understand that. Trust me...I try, non-stop, every single day to help him with receptive language. But you could tell him something bothers you until the cows come home and it won't make a bit of difference. You can't assume that all children of a certain age will be able to comprehend everything. Or act a certain way. That isn't realistic.

I was already dreading flying with my son next year. Yeah...dreading our vacation. Kind of sad, really. And now I'm dreading it even more because I know that so many clueless people, just like some posting here, exist in the world.

I know people will look at my son and think because of his age...he should be acting a certain way. And you know what....I would fucking LOVE if he would act "normal" or whatever idiots in the world want to call it. Trust me...it would make my life a lot goddamn easier. 

And people talking about parents doing nothing when their kid is upset. Did it ever occur to you that in some cases, acknowledging a behavior can actually make it worse? Because yeah...that's a thing that happens. Trust me. Because in public places (that I, God forbid, take my child to), I've had to do what is "socially acceptable" and "expected" and you know what it does? It makes my son even louder. It's to the point where I have to decide if I just never take my child anywhere or if I try to help get him used to public places.

Someone in this thread talked about kids in restaurants. And asked "is this really so hard?" Why yes...it is hard for some people. If you want to give me some magical, wonderful advice that my son's two occupational therapists haven't been able to give me....maybe you can help me get him to eat while sitting in a chair, use his utensils, and a napkin. And while you're at it, if you could help him learn to copy a line on a paper using a crayon...that would be great. Because after almost 2 years of therapy....we still struggle. But apparently you must be some parenting wizard so maybe you can help me out.  (But don't worry...we have chosen not to take our son to restaurants so you're safe there.)

Seriously, people....have some compassion. Have some empathy. You don't know what some people are going through every single day of their lives. You don't know what kinds of struggles they have. You can't see those things just by looking at someone.  (And if you have kids...please try and raise them to be compassionate and empathetic people as well.)

I am basically contemplating becoming a shut-in with my son now. So thanks for that.

I see a lot of quotes from my own post in your statements, even though you said you weren't quoting anybody.
I can only imagine how having an atypical kid whose reactions and needs might be different, would cause you a lot of frustration when the people around you act judgementally.  I'm really sorry if anything in my post made you angry, or feeling that nobody cares about you or your child.  It certainly was not my intention to denigrate children who aren't typical, or dis off the reality of a child's parents. 
Please don't cancel your vacation or keep yourselves hidden from the world!  If you and your child happen to sit next to me on your next flight, all you need to say is, "Hi, I'm ClaraOswin, my child is a good kid but isn't neurotypical, so it would help me out a lot if you could do x and y, but please don't do z, or judge me when I do w."
Seriously, I'd listen and do my best to help you have a great trip as much as I could.  I bet 90% of people would do the same, if you were frank and honest with them.
Once again, I'm sorry if anything I said offended you - I'm truly good intentioned, but possibly ignorant - so please educate me, in a constructive way.  Thanks!

I have a hearing loss and traveling alone has taught me a few things. I lose a great deal of speech discretion in planes and other situations. Most people are understanding if I ask them what was said overhead, etc. When I purchase a ticket I always note my hearing loss and when I enter the plane let them know. Only once did I experience a flight where my seat neighbors were all wearing headphones/occupied and the flight attendants just would not come down and inform me of what was going on. Our flight was delayed and I had to connect so I asked what was going on. She informed me it had been announced X amount of times. I reminded her that I couldn't understand what was said and showed her my hearing aids and told her they didn't correct for speech discretion. I was polite outwardly but embarrassed. 

3 hours ago, PraiseDog said:

I see a lot of quotes from my own post in your statements, even though you said you weren't quoting anybody.
I can only imagine how having an atypical kid whose reactions and needs might be different, would cause you a lot of frustration when the people around you act judgementally.  I'm really sorry if anything in my post made you angry, or feeling that nobody cares about you or your child.  It certainly was not my intention to denigrate children who aren't typical, or dis off the reality of a child's parents. 
Please don't cancel your vacation or keep yourselves hidden from the world!  If you and your child happen to sit next to me on your next flight, all you need to say is, "Hi, I'm ClaraOswin, my child is a good kid but isn't neurotypical, so it would help me out a lot if you could do x and y, but please don't do z, or judge me when I do w."
Seriously, I'd listen and do my best to help you have a great trip as much as I could.  I bet 90% of people would do the same, if you were frank and honest with them.
Once again, I'm sorry if anything I said offended you - I'm truly good intentioned, but possibly ignorant - so please educate me, in a constructive way.  Thanks!

I don't really see why I have to advertise my child's developmental delays and autism to everyone around us on a flight. It's really none of their fucking business as far as I'm concerned. And I don't need anyone to do anything for me and my child on a flight except keep their rude comments and dirty looks to themselves. I would never expect or ask someone to help take care of my child. The only thing I asked of anyone on our last flight.....was the flight attendant when I asked her for something for me to clean up my kid's vomit from the aisle.

I am by no means ashamed of my child's abilities and if his autism is relevant to a conversation with someone, then I mention it. But it doesn't define him. If someone asks me if I have any children...I say I have a three year old son. I don't say "I have a three year old son with autism" or whatever.

I suppose I would mention it on a flight if someone asked. Or if they were being a total dirt bag to me because it would likely get them to shut up. And hopefully they would feel like a shitty human being.

The only things that typically bother me on airplanes (besides my fear of flying).....overly strong perfume/cologne and people who try to put insanely large bags into the overhead bin. 

I cannot handle screaming babies for long periods of time such as planes or trains.  I literally pray every time I go to the airport that there will not be a screaming baby on board. Also, yes we love kids and will be TTCing soon. I just can't handle other people's screaming children for hours when I can't leave. I know others that feel the same way--- they can live with their screaming baby but God forbid they get on a plane and hear someone's screaming kid for 3+ hrs. Chinese torture.

8 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I don't really see why I have to advertise my child's developmental delays and autism to everyone around us on a flight. It's really none of their fucking business as far as I'm concerned. And I don't need anyone to do anything for me and my child on a flight except keep their rude comments and dirty looks to themselves. I would never expect or ask someone to help take care of my child. The only thing I asked of anyone on our last flight.....was the flight attendant when I asked her for something for me to clean up my kid's vomit from the aisle.

I am by no means ashamed of my child's abilities and if his autism is relevant to a conversation with someone, then I mention it. But it doesn't define him. If someone asks me if I have any children...I say I have a three year old son. I don't say "I have a three year old son with autism" or whatever.

I suppose I would mention it on a flight if someone asked. Or if they were being a total dirt bag to me because it would likely get them to shut up. And hopefully they would feel like a shitty human being.

The only things that typically bother me on airplanes (besides my fear of flying).....overly strong perfume/cologne and people who try to put insanely large bags into the overhead bin. 

Clara, I am really sorry for what you are going through. You are right, no one can know what a person is going through. You have no idea if a person suffers from debilitating migraines, experiencing a death in the family, or has issues with loud sounds when they show irritability or frustration in coping with a child's blistering screams on a 4 flight. You are right, you shouldn't have to advertise your son's issues to everyone you meet but I bet it would lessen the mean looks you get otherwise, people will assume your child is a tantrum and unfortunately, blame you. 

Topic change!

It's been a while since I've looked at the Baby Grandpa Phillip / Pinterest Fail photos. While the dump truck photos will live in infamy, the crime scene / smothering hazard shot below is my new fave. Kind of forgot about this one. 

DavidLovesPriscilla14-1024x683.jpg?x8771

On 12/8/2016 at 9:48 AM, Carm_88 said:

Looks like the Pecan Thieves had a bit of a party! :P 

Aren't these the Staddon's who just got married after a very weird arranged courtship situation?

7 minutes ago, BackseatMom said:

Aren't these the Staddon's who just got married after a very weird arranged courtship situation?

Mmmm, I think that it is. :) 

21 minutes ago, BackseatMom said:

How was their courtship an arranged one?  

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived