IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What James Manderino was looking for in a wife: 

I think they said somewhere that they'll livestream the wedding, like they did with the betrothal. So maybe we can watch all that awkwardness. 

Edit: And I wonder if their first fight in marriage is about whether Yahweh should  be written as YHVH or YHWH :D 

Respected her father? So she doesn't need to respect her mother? And head covering? Are you kidding me with this? So is it a deal breaker if she decides 10 years from now she won't cover her head with a piece of cloth? 

And he converted about 18 months ago, right? And he probably didn't want these things before he converted.

Well I became a Christian about a year ago, but what I want in a husband hasn't changed since then... Maybe something is wrong with me that I don't want a bearded headship who wants to take over the magazine I don't have? I don't know. Some Christians have counseled me to leave my boyfriend because *gasp* he's not a Christian and then I decided to leave these people instead :D 

So. Much. Plaid.

I've never really been a person who likes beards. I don't want a mouth full of hair when I go in for a kiss. Even when it's just stubble it's all spiky! If you like them, fine by me though.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:51 AM, L1o2u3 said:

What James Manderino was looking for in a wife: 

Wow. It's all about him. Not one word about how he hopes to make her life better by their marriage. She is not a person; she is his support staff.

25 minutes ago, VVV said:

Wow. It's all about him. Not one word about how he hopes to make her life better by their marriage. She is not a person; she is his support staff.

Well what do you think drew him to this extreme religious conversion? :2wankers:

On 10/3/2017 at 6:38 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always wonder if they get food in their very full beards. 

As a woman dating a man with a very full and long beard (yes, he's done beard competitions, which I did not know were a thing before I met him...), yes. Yes they do. He refuses to eat cupcakes for this very reason, apparently they're the worst offender. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

As a woman dating a man with a very full and long beard (yes, he's done beard competitions, which I did not know were a thing before I met him...), yes. Yes they do. He refuses to eat cupcakes for this very reason, apparently they're the worst offender. :pb_lol:

I will co-sign this.  I once braided Mr. Pianokeeper's hair into his beard in a sort of Beauty-and-the-Beast configuration, complete with bows.  I actually thought it looked quite fetching!  

He's since lost the long hair but kept his long/full beard.  I bought him this shirt: goo.gl/8osN1P

And yes.  Food gets caught in it... but it does come out easily, with proper hygiene!  :) 

Love it! This was one I got him for Christmas. Vanity, thy name is long-beardy guys. On the bright side, it's never me who clogs the shower drain (I have short, ungodly hair).

5a58683f0261.jpg

On a different note, I like kissing a man with a beard. There are other benefits too, but I'll leave that to your imagination. :GPn0zNK:

Well, I was about to post something about when my dad would get food in his beard, but after @ViolaSebastian's post, I think I'll pretend like my dad never entered my mind with regard to this conversation! :pb_redface: 

Walking away, now...:whistle:

ETA--:my_biggrin:

Watching it right now. they're having the instrumental version of One Republic's Secrets as background music :D 

I like that version :) 

James is wearing a weird cape. Probably something they borrowed from the Jews. It's blue and white. Bridesmaids' dresses look okay. The bride! Very long sleeves, But I like the skirt :) Now she's doing that weird walking-around-the-groom-thingy. Many scripture readings. The vows... oh, there's the first helpmeet. Submission. "I will put you before myself". And now the not-withholding thing. Ahh. I'm cringing. 

Now looking at people's butts while they stand arount the couple and pray for them. They pray for a very long time. Finally an amen. Now Daddy's having another long sermon/speech. Finally the kiss :) 

I didn't watch, I just fast forwarded through it. My impression? They are trying to scream, "hey everyone we are JEWISH!" Blue and white as her wedding colors makes it so completely obvious that's what she is going for. And I forget what the cloth on his shoulders is called, but yes that is Jewish as well. Along with their Chuppah and some other things. Her sister's wedding was so very different. I think this is her new husband's influence. He's a new convert and basically wants to let everyone on earth know about his conversion. It's like someone new to crossfit constantly wearing a shirt that says, "ASK ME ABOUT CROSSFIT"

No.

1. So the ceremony is being done by a dude dressed as a rabbi, full stop (I don't know enough to recognize if that's her dad, but I'm guessing that's her dad). You got your chuppah, your shofar, and your tallit. The only thing they don't appear to have is actual Jewish people. 

2. The men of the wedding party seem to be dressed in an odd combination of button down shirt/blue jeans and three piece suits. 

3. The bridesmaid dresses are shockingly modern and fitted with attractive bolero jackets. 

4. Oh my lord. That is not her dad. Her dad walk her down the aisle in a white tuxedo with tails. It's bad. Dude dressed as a rabbi is her soon-to-be-husband. I'm so confused. 

5. Just realized the colors of royal blue and white are an homage to the Israeli flag...her dress is even hemmed with blue ribbon.

6. The couple met on an internet dating site.

And can we talk about daddy Washburn's get up? Oh dear lord. It's BAD.

I'm glad we have the same impression @ViolaSebastian These faux Jews make me roll my eyes so hard. It's like they want to be both God's chosen people and Jesus followers. It's so odd.

Oh, I skipped through Daddy Washburn's long speeches and missed that they met on a dating site. How did Hannah end up there...? Probably her parents had to allow her to sign up to one. I didn't see a video, only pictures from Abigail's wedding, so I don't know how they did the ceremony there. 

But yeah. It's BAD. 

They vow to "not withhold" themselves from each other "except by mutual agreement." And they use the quiverfull verse. It's cringey. This whole thing is cringey. :pb_confused: Especially the guy screaming "DO IT!" during their first kiss.  

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

You got your chuppah, your shofar, and your tallit. The only thing they don't appear to have is actual Jewish people. 

I nearly choked to death laughing at this - thank you!

2 hours ago, L1o2u3 said:

Oh, I skipped through Daddy Washburn's long speeches and missed that they met on a dating site. How did Hannah end up there...?

The real question is....

was it Jdate or ChristianMingle? 

I didn't watch the video but the walking around the groom is also ripped off from Orthodox Jewish weddings, where the bride circles the groom seven times. I've also seen it when the mothers accompany the bride around. (I'm not Jewish but I have played for all kinds of weddings.)

I can only imagine what my (actual) Jewish friends would have to say about Christians ripping off their traditions. It wouldn't be kind.

9 minutes ago, VVV said:

I can only imagine what my (actual) Jewish friends would have to say about Christians ripping off their traditions. It wouldn't be kind.

Then definitely don't show them the footage of the crew dancing to Hava Nagila. It reminds me of when my white-bread junior high in the midwest was forced to do folk dance in the gym during P.E. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived