IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

27 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

IIRC, they believe we shouldn't use ultrasounds because of a verse saying the unborn are knit together in the womb unseen and going against that is not trusting god. I hope they do their births in a hospital setting so doctors are on hand if anything is wrong. 

I can almost guarantee Hannah will homebirth. Abigail may not. I'm not sure. They don't seem as crazy as Hannah and her husband. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought maybe they don’t do ultrasounds because of the cost, if they don’t have insurance. Of course they would not admit that. Trusting in God sounds better. Because life is all about showing your faith is stronger & better than anyone else’s!

When I went to the hospital to have my son, they did an U/S before I could ever attempt a vaginal birth. I don't know if they would have even worked with me if I had refused to let them confirm that the baby was head down and in a good position to deliver. 

They probably would. I don't think they can legally turn away a woman in labor and patients can't be forced to receive treatment (think JW). 

3 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

They probably would. I don't think they can legally turn away a woman in labor and patients can't be forced to receive treatment (think JW). 

Legally they won't turn you away, but some hospitals and areas are more pro- home birth then others. My past area hospital, wanted to discourage home birth even with properly trained Midwives. The hospital was not a very forward thinking hospital at all in many ways, along with other issues, but there was one hospital for quite a large area, so you dealt with it, or traveled out of the area. But, because they were against the practice, they were very hard on midwives who brought patients due to transfers, two doctors with privileges at that hospital, that worked with local midwives (a common practice with proper midwives, is to have the Mum be seen by the OB/GYN in pregnancy, to approve the home birth and for the doctor to switch to the lead for patient care, if transfer is necessary) tried to soften the blow, but if you got a different doctor or the hospital stepped in, you might be forced to do extra things, and it can be very hard to object in the moment. But this is why you have a good relationship with a transfer doctor so this doesn't happen. 

If you come in off the street, some hospitals, will treat you with a more hands on approach, as they don't know what you need, and you might get more tests, and again its hard to turn down in an emergency, and if you have had no prenatal care, you can't tell them you don't have Strep B, if there is any issues, and other things that can effect care. I am sure they would argue a lot, but I suspect it would be a major life or death transfer for these types of people.

Long story short,it is so much better to be prepared and have good back up but these people don't think like that. I bet they would skip loads of after birth care, like ZsuZsu did, but I think in some ways, it can be harder to be so stuck on your ways, in a transfer from home birth. If you are practical and transfer early, things can be low key, but I again dont think these people would transfer, until its dire,

• 2 weeks later...

It was Abigail's 19th birthday. She wore jeans :o and you can see their baby bumps :D I think they're almost the same size, so I guess no twins for Hannah. 

I'm surprised to see her riding while that far along. It's definitely not recommended that women ride past the first trimester. She also isn't wearing a helmet, which is extremely important for safety.

6 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm surprised to see her riding while that far along. It's definitely not recommended that women ride past the first trimester. She also isn't wearing a helmet, which is extremely important for safety.

It doesn't surprise me in the least. She's a pregnant fundie teenager. Safety is way down on their list of priorities.

I think Abigail looks good being pregnant :) I think they always ride without helmets though. And I think I remember something about wearing skirts for riding... oh there it is! http://radicalfemininity.com/2016/05/06/horseback-riding-modest-outfit-examples-suggestions/ As you can see, they never wear helmets (at least in the pictures, the only one wearing one is a friend) and they also don't always have a saddle... I would never ride without a helmet though. 

Also Abigail's lovely husband... Maybe he's picked lovely, non-judgemental James as a role model now? 

Those pictures are ridiculous. Who the fuck wears jeans under a skirt for riding around your own farm? And that "split skirt?" Hahahaha. Those are wide leg pants you idiots. 

God this family makes me roll my eyes clear out of my head. 

44 minutes ago, L1o2u3 said:

Ohh but they are also wearing mini dresses :o over skirts of course. 

I'm more like, either you wear pants, jeans and mini dresses or you don't, but then wear them properly :D 

http://radicalfemininity.com/2015/05/25/pink-and-blue-paisley/ 

She looks like a little kid playing dress-up and trying to wear all the pretty clothes at once.

Their posts about how you can still be fashionable and modest make my eyes bleed.

T-shirt under sleeveless dress and a second skirt? Girl. That ain't right. 

OMG, the pictures with the horses were painful! And I'm not talking about the outfits (they are horrible on their own merit) or the lack of helmets (dangerous), but the sheer lack of knowledge they have in riding horses is obvious in every single pictures. Their stirrups are adjusted poorly in length, they have too much foot through them, they hold their reins incorrectly, gah! So much horrible. My mother called these kind of people drugstore cowboys. It's amazing none of them have gotten hurt.

I'm hoping Abigail veers away from some of the ridiculousness of her family. Silas has a lot of siblings and some look much more mainstream. Hopefully their getting married as teens will help them make some of their own decisions about being fundie. There's no hope for Hannah. She married an extreme convert. They will just go deeper into it in the next few years. 

10 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

OMG, the pictures with the horses were painful! And I'm not talking about the outfits (they are horrible on their own merit) or the lack of helmets (dangerous), but the sheer lack of knowledge they have in riding horses is obvious in every single pictures. Their stirrups are adjusted poorly in length, they have too much foot through them, they hold their reins incorrectly, gah! So much horrible. My mother called these kind of people drugstore cowboys. It's amazing none of them have gotten hurt.

Is it possible she was just posing on the horse and not actually riding? Or is common sense too much to hope for...

I am a lurker not a poster but seeing those pictures of them riding is giving me heart palpitations!! These people have no idea what they are doing. They do not even know how to put the tack on correctly.

They have reins attached where the curb strap should be and I'm also seeing what looks like a rear cinch that is not correctly attached to the front cinch. If it slides back it will act as a bucking strap like they use on bucking horses in rodeos. The sheer lack of knowledge is frightening.

7 hours ago, Briefly said:

Is it possible she was just posing on the horse and not actually riding? Or is common sense too much to hope for...

No way, it's bad. They are clearly action shots, and A knowledgeable horse person would never make those kind of mistakes even just goofing around taking photos. The only one where the person looked like they knew what they were doing was the friend (the one in a helmet). 

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

I am a lurker not a poster but seeing those pictures of them riding is giving me heart palpitations!! These people have no idea what they are doing. They do not even know how to put the tack on correctly.

They have reins attached where the curb strap should be and I'm also seeing what looks like a rear cinch that is not correctly attached to the front cinch. If it slides back it will act as a bucking strap like they use on bucking horses in rodeos. The sheer lack of knowledge is frightening.

I noticed the bit too, it's correct in a couple photos, I wonder which came first, maybe the friend corrected it? She looked well seated and like she knew what she was doing. 

I didn't even notice the back cinch, but you are right. Why would they even use one?  The bits they are using are severe. I wonder how they even got set up with these horses and tack.

Ugh. This whole horse thing is worse that the fake Jew stuff. 

On 3/5/2018 at 10:07 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

It doesn't surprise me in the least. She's a pregnant fundie teenager. Safety is way down on their list of priorities.

Besides, I’m sure they have an essential oil for spinal cord injury somewhere in their house. 

• 3 weeks later...

She hasn't even give birth to the first one and is already talking about what a good father James will be for all the little ones. I'm sure she's still convinced she's having twins. But well, maybe it's better to prepare for a twin birth and then only have one than the other way around...right? 

16 minutes ago, L1o2u3 said:

She hasn't even give birth to the first one and is already talking about what a good father James will be for all the little ones. I'm sure she's still convinced she's having twins. But well, maybe it's better to prepare for a twin birth and then only have one than the other way around...right? 

I guess? But wow, I can't get over how stupid and dangerous it is to have no ultrasounds and then have a home birth when, unlike millions of women throughout the world who don't have access to medical care, you have the ability to go to a doctor and make sure everything is okay, including finding out if you're actually having twins.

The birthday wish for her husband was a bit over the top. They’ve been married for five seconds! It sounds like hero worship. Come back to us after 15-20 years of picking his underwear off the floor and arguing about money and sick kids, then we can talk!

Those two are just the worst. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she never gets pregnant with twins, never has a breech baby, and has very uncomplicated and easy pregnancies/births. Because she's choosing to stay ignorant. And that does nothing good for her health or the health of her fetus.

I'm so grossed out by their puppy mill crap. :| ADOPT DON'T SHOP. I know fundies are obsessed with single-handedly contributing to global human overpopulation, but can they at least leave the innocent furry animals out of it? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived