IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

Wasn't that magazine meant for fundie girls who weren't married yet? Why would it be appropriate for a married man to be running it?

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They said they wanted to shift the focus so that "the whole family can benefit from it". It's somewhere in the newsletter. 

If anyone wants to read an issue, you can order old back issues as pdfs for free on the website. It is ... interesting... to read. There was one story in the first issue, I think, that was supposed to be read to children, written by Hannah. That one really made me cringe. It was about a young girl that wanted to play, read and do stuff that kids enjoy, but her mother wanted her to the chores and she had to be happy and "joyful" because girls should always serve with joy. And then she fakes to enjoy the chores and is applauded by her mother for it. Uahh. It was horrible. 

Hannah has now made a post about Plexus. What a surprise. No, not really :D She claims that it has helped her with health issues when essential oils failed. 

Edit: oh, and her honeymoon will be in Israel. 

• 2 weeks later...

In Hannah's newest Instagram post we learn that James moved near Hannah to get to know her, "across multiple states". 

On 8/28/2017 at 0:11 AM, Anonymousguest said:

How and where did they meet?

I don't know but I can't believe this guy goes from mainstream regular Joe to fundie moving across the country just to get to know a girl. It would make me nervous as hell as a fundie dad. Is he always going to be this impulsive? Will this guy decide to move his family to another country in a few years? I mean, Hannah must follow. These girls must have slim pickings if this guy made the cut.

I took the time to look through the many wedding pictures posted. This one is weird to me. The adult bride is sitting on her dad's lap feeding him food before her wedding. :dontgetit:

IMG_4323.PNG

This sign from the wedding made me side eye.  I can't imagine seeing this sign at a wedding. These people are just so weird. 

IMG_4324.PNG

I agree with you @JermajestyDuggar this would be a huge red flag for me. I feel a little like somebody (Hannah? Her parents?) thought she should  better get married before she's getting too old/that this is her only chance to get married. And because she was raised this way, she probably waited for a husband to show up since she was 17/18 (I think she said somewhere in the magazine that she thought she was going to be married at 18? but it could have been one of the other girls that submitted an article) which would mean that she waited for 7, 8 years. A few weeks before the courtship announcement, she posted on Facebook that she was reading "The Path of Loneliness" by Elisabeth Elliot and wasn't feeling well. 

Edit: But I'm sure parties are waaay more fun than before his conversion. I mean, the Chicken Dance! Wouldn't want to miss that. 

On 8/30/2017 at 8:21 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

This sign from the wedding made me side eye.  I can't imagine seeing this sign at a wedding. These people are just so weird. 

Ummmmmm how exactly does that become kosher?  No comment on that as wedding food.  Nope not going there.  

On 8/30/2017 at 8:26 AM, L1o2u3 said:

Edit: But I'm sure parties are waaay more fun than before his conversion. I mean, the Chicken Dance! Wouldn't want to miss that. 

Mixed gender dancing kind of messes with the Fiddler on the Roof Cosplay.  

11 hours ago, L1o2u3 said:

But I'm sure parties are waaay more fun than before his conversion. I mean, the Chicken Dance! Wouldn't want to miss that. 

What?! The Chicken Dance?! No way! Who knew those crazy kids threw such wild parties?!

Well, based on what Hannah said in a recent FB post, I can respect James' decision to move closer to her. She does say they wanted to really get to know each other in person and really understand each other's strengths and weaknesses before they took any big steps. (Though moving across multiple states to get to know a girl is a big step, too.) I just think this is a better approach than the fundies who get to know each other through letters and have maybe met twice before they get married. Or sometimes fundies marriages are old-fashioned arranged marriages or someone feels called by God to marry someone they've never met and the couple really don't know each other before the marriage. At least James and Hannah seem to have wanted to know what they were getting into.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the quote. She said she thought she would get married at 16 or 17 :o 

If you had asked me 5 or 10 years ago if I thought that Abigail and I would have been engaged at the same time, I would have laughed. After all, I wanted to get married when I was 16 or 17 ... she would have only been 8 or 9!

On 8/31/2017 at 10:09 AM, Soulhuntress said:

Mixed gender dancing kind of messes with the Fiddler on the Roof Cosplay.  

I've seen many Fiddler on the Roof productions with mixed gender dancing, especially for the opening number, which kinda ruins the point of the Hodel subplot.

16 hours ago, Bretta said:

I've seen many Fiddler on the Roof productions with mixed gender dancing, especially for the opening number, which kinda ruins the point of the Hodel subplot.

Oops. One of the important sub stories in the play.  ;)

On 9/14/2017 at 8:53 AM, L1o2u3 said:

I found the quote. She said she thought she would get married at 16 or 17 :o 

Not surprised at all. If she had more of the weird type of fundies to choose from, I bet she would have married at 16. But she had to wait around for some mainstream guy 1000 miles away to convert hastily and move closer to her although they probably barely know one another. 

2 hours ago, L1o2u3 said:

The most shocking thing about this is that her parents would have probably encouraged her to get married that young :( 

It's a bit of a gamble. One could strike a jackpot and get a husband who would encourage/fund a college education and give more freedom than strict parents... if not, it's  basically the same-old, same-old life. Except caring for your own babies and not your momma's.

I think those new converts are the "worst", meaning they are often super enthusiastic and trying to be the perfect fundie. I mean he now wants to take over her magazine and instruct others. But on the other hand he might relax later on. 

Oh yeah, new converts can be awful. So zealous and excited to tell everyone else all about what they're doing wrong. It doesn't help that people already in the belief system often love to show off converts.

It's not just religious converts either; "new convert syndrome" applies to non-religious groups and beliefs too, as well as deconverts. For example, I have a lot of sympathy for ex-mormons, and as an ex-Christian myself I totally understand the need to get all that anger and resentment out of your system, but boy I've seen some obnoxious ex-mormons. I once talked to a non-religious woman who had dated an ex-mormon and she said she eventually broke up with the gut because he was more interested in watching videos of Gordon B. Hinkley and complaining about them than he was in having sex with her.:pb_lol:

She most likely thought she would get married at that age because like lots of teen agers that is when she first started having romantic and date I say lustful feelings for the opposite sex and marriage was the only legitimate outlet and solution for that. 

On 9/17/2017 at 4:14 PM, Rachel333 said:

Oh yeah, new converts can be awful. So zealous and excited to tell everyone else all about what they're doing wrong. It doesn't help that people already in the belief system often love to show off converts.

It's not just religious converts either; "new convert syndrome" applies to non-religious groups and beliefs too, as well as deconverts. For example, I have a lot of sympathy for ex-mormons, and as an ex-Christian myself I totally understand the need to get all that anger and resentment out of your system, but boy I've seen some obnoxious ex-mormons. I once talked to a non-religious woman who had dated an ex-mormon and she said she eventually broke up with the gut because he was more interested in watching videos of Gordon B. Hinkley and complaining about them than he was in having sex with her.:pb_lol:

And people newly into Crossfit. There is nothing more annoying :2wankers:

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And people newly into Crossfit. There is nothing more annoying :2wankers:

People who've just got into non-monogamy, and are in a rush of New Relationship Energy, and want everyone to join them, quite physically, in bad.  It was weird, having people try to seduce me by telling me my monogamous relationship was basically sexist and patriarchal, and trying to shame me into bed by telling me how closed-minded I was.

(I know there are fantastic people living really great, ethical Polygamous/Polyamorous relationships, but like so much in the world, the aren't the ones who try to convert others).

I always love relationship advice from (new) polyamorists... "Hey, I'm having a problem in my relationship and we would like to solve this together" - "Have you tried an open/polyamorous relationship?" :my_dodgy: "No, I want to do these things with my partner and I want to repair my relationship with my partner, not start a new one." Grrrr. Or: "If all people were poly, there would be no jealousy or cheating anymore". :my_dodgy: "People are forced to be monogamous by our bad, oppressiv society!"

This is OT, but there is a conservative Christian (as a teen) gone poly blog which is really weird. That lady claims that patriarchy is at fault for women having clitoral orgasms, sex with a circumcized man is violation of the vagina and civilization was the biggest mistake in history and we should all live in tribes fucking with each other. 

Her boyfriend also knows "how to make America really great again": 

f you haven’t made love to your woman in over three days, things are going to start to get rough around the house. If it goes past five, things could get nuclear. If they don’t, she’s probably fucking someone else. So get after her. But do it the right way.

What’s the right way you say? Well, the right way is when your partner is shaking like she has tremors from the sweet love making you just gave her. 

http://polyamorydiaries.com/ Don't read this if you're too close to a wall because you might end up banging your head against it endlessly. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived