IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lurky said:

Just FYI, I tried to click from one of the pages on their site to another, and got a malware warning...

So did I. I don't know if it's genuine, it might be a spam thing. I clicked on a similar link on my iPad and it came up with some spammy Amazon ad or something.

8 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

So did I. I don't know if it's genuine, it might be a spam thing. I clicked on a similar link on my iPad and it came up with some spammy Amazon ad or something.

Yeah, I ran my anti-virus software and it seems ok, but I couldn't get off the page without clicking something on it (oh hell no!) without shutting my browser.  It was fine getting in via a link here, but trying to get from page to page within their site triggers something.

James Mandarino posted about the word Easter and admitted he was wrong. This is his father in law's response. These people are highly amusing. They spend so much time worrying about the most minuscule shit. I wish they would take their excess of time and energy and find a cure for cancer, lol. I'm kidding of course. These people are mostly morons so they could never find a cure for cancer ;)

IMG_8023.PNG

I don't actually understand WTF he's on about.

There needs to be a "yeah, suuure... :2wankers:" reaction for when these folks start getting "intellectual."

Well, Tom, there is this funny thing called "context" that people use to figure out what words mean.  Like how Lewis Carroll wrote "Jabberwocky" largely with nonsense words, but it is still perfectly readable.  Or how you use the not-word "howzabout", but still seem to have every expectation of it being very easily understood.  Did you even realize you did that, buckaroo?  

Also, I like how you just "start thinking" about the Greeks, as if it was a puzzle that had never been solved.  You could have just looked up all that stuff, friendo.  The Greeks wrote a lot of stuff down, including, but not limited to, some books of the Bible.  It turns out the word "Nike" is actually likely NOT a Greek word at all, and is possibly pre-Greek in origin.  I don't know if that proves or disproves your point, because I'm not really sure where you're trying to go with all of this, but it literally took me a .39 second google search and a few clicks to find that information.  How long did you spend thinking about it?

Also, mascots is possibly one of the worst examples that you could have used given that some of them literally do not make sense at all and are really out of nowhere.  WHAT'S A BILLIKEN, TOM?!?!  DID WE ALL SHARE A FEVER DREAM WITH FLORENCE PRETZ?!? 

That's 3 big swings and misses for Tom Washburn.  Better luck next time, bud.  

1) I've been reading this thread over the last few days, and good Lord, these people are nuts.

2) I'm sorry to say that I actually get what he's on about (which is not to say that it makes sense).  Taking a cue from Black people reclaiming the N-word, and gay women proudly identifying as dykes, etc., some Christians decided that they were going to reclaim the rainbow, because "it was a symbol of God's love before the evil gays took it over!"  Papa Washburn was wondering if it's possible to do the same with Nike.  If it was an innocent Greek word that became the name of a goddess, then Nike shoes are maybe ok, because they're named for the word and not the goddess; if it was the name of a goddess first, then the shoes are pagan and verboten.  All of which is moot because he prefers Reebok and New Balance anyway.

3) No matter where the word ultimately comes from, the shoes were directly named for the goddess, so the Washburns may as well play it safe and avoid them.  However, I'm a linguist, so I went down a short etymological rabbit hole, and found that Nike was almost certainly a word first, and a goddess second.  There seems to be some debate over whether it's Indo-European (and if it is, I wasn't able to find which Proto-IE root it comes from), or Afro-Asiatic and possibly borrowed from the Egyptians.  The more you know...

4) If he doesn't like the word Easter because of its pagan etymology, what does he call Tuesday through Saturday?  How about January?  March?  I could go on...

Ok let me get this straight. This guy refused to buy Nike shoes because they were named after a greek mythological figure?

53 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Ok let me get this straight. This guy refused to buy Nike shoes because they were named after a greek mythological figure?

That's how I read it. Which I thought was pretty hilarious. Imagine boycotting all products with names from Greek and other mythology. I have no idea how fundies remember everything they are supposed to boycott. They must keep a list on them at all times.

36 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That's how I read it. Which I thought was pretty hilarious. Imagine boycotting all products with names from Greek and other mythology. I have no idea how fundies remember everything they are supposed to boycott. They must keep a list on them at all times.

I wonder how he feels about the state of Washington. The capitol i being Olympia.

What exactly would happen to a person wearing Nike shoes if the company were named after a Greek Goddess? 

49 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I wonder how he feels about the state of Washington. The capitol i being Olympia.

What exactly would happen to a person wearing Nike shoes if the company were named after a Greek Goddess? 

Heh! He lives in Tennessee, and according to Wikipedia...

The name "Memphis" (Μέμφις) is the Greek adaptation of this name, which was originally the name of the pyramid of Pepi I,[Fnt 1] located west of the city.[12] However, Greek poet Hesiod at his Theogony refers that Memphis was a daughter of river god Nilus and the wife of Epaphus (the son of Zeus and Io), who founded the city and named it after his wife's name.[13]

28 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Heh! He lives in Tennessee, and according to Wikipedia...

He should definitely move. Is there any place safe from Greek gods? 

2 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

He should definitely move. Is there any place safe from Greek gods? 

They'll have to blank out all mentions of Bible figures with pagan Greek names, like Apollos from the Bible. There goes a lot of the New Testament.

9 hours ago, FullOfGravy said:

4) If he doesn't like the word Easter because of its pagan etymology, what does he call Tuesday through Saturday?  How about January?  March?  I could go on...

Exactly this!  But that typical Fundy ability to pick and choose boycott the companies that are the easy ones always makes me laugh.  This is an old article, but a good one, about how boycotting Walmart for Trans-inclusion should just be the tip of the iceberg

https://www.thedailybeast.com/all-the-things-you-can-no-longer-buy-if-youre-really-boycotting-trans-friendly-businesses

I love the boycotts because they do nothing. Mostly because people who boycott already didn't use the product, or they don't follow through and eventually buy the product or something from their sister companies. 

Why exactly is it bad to use a god's name anyway? It's not like anyone is actually worshipping the goddess Nike.

I like how he seems to hate Nike for its Greek religious origins but is inexplicably OK with the Tennessee Titans.  

1 hour ago, artdecades said:

Teaching the solar system must have been very difficult in that household. 

What are the odds they used Genesis 1 as the main source of information for this?

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I like how he seems to hate Nike for its Greek religious origins but is inexplicably OK with the Tennessee Titans.  

That's why these fundies amuse me so much. They pick and choose what to boycott based on their likes and dislikes. Obviously he wasn't a fan of Nike shoes as it was so it was easy for him to boycott. And I'm sure he told everyone about his boycott and how it was such a sacrifice. 

Linguistics! Linguistics is so much more than looking up a word on Google, dear Tom :smiley-signs131:  And "speculating about the origin of a word despite there being a lot of literature on Greek gods, the Greek language and Greek loanwords in the English language" isn't linguistics either.

I wonder: does he also debate whether he should use the word justice because there has been a Latin goddess named Justitia? 

Those people upset me so much. Some of them study the Bible diligently, research the etymology of Hebrew words, find patterns, motives etc., just everything one learns in literary studies (not to be confused with linguistics though :D ), but are unable to transfer these research skills to any other text or subject :confused2: Or maybe they are just repeating what they read in bible commentaries. 

And if boycotting is "not buying things that you wouldn't have bought anyway", I'm boycotting many things too :D 

Wow, Hannah is sooo lucky that her wonderful, manly man husband is sooo CREATIVE that he managed to cut a door out of a cardboard box so the chicks could walk out. That man is such a genius, y'all. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived