IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, smittykins said:

18 pounds sounds underweight for an almost-2-year-old.

That is low on the percentile chart for a two year old. My almost 2 year old is about 25/26 lbs and he's on the skinny side.

• 3 months later...

I noticed on FB that the 20 year old daughter, Abigail Washburn is engaged. And the oldest Hannah Washburn (26), is courting. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I noticed on FB that the 20 year old daughter, Abigail Washburn is engaged. And the oldest Hannah Washburn (26), is courting. 

Wow, that is quite the beard on the guy that Hannah is courting.

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Wow, that is quite the beard on the guy that Hannah is courting.

Almost as big as her dad's! 

I wonder if the courting is the real reason why she's ending her magazine...

9 hours ago, Showtunesgirl said:

I wonder if the courting is the real reason why she's ending her magazine...

That and her sister is getting married. So she won't have any help from her. I think the older girls help her with the magazine. Since her sister got engaged in February, I'm guessing they will be married by summer. Fundies no matter the cult never seem to have long engagements. 

• 3 weeks later...

Abigail isn't 20, she turned 18 at the beginning of March. As far as I know (I think that this is public on Facebook, since I can see it, but I'm not friends with them), they had a betrothal party thingy a week after she got engaged (while she was still 17) and they now want to get married in the early summer, I think June. 

They even put the proposal on youtube for everyone to see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mci_WD-FGi8&feature=share

I think that's very young. I mean, when I was 17, I thought I could marry the guy I was involved with at that time, but that didn't happen... for a good reason. And I think that's why we usually don't ecourage minors or those barely adult to marry. 

But I must admit I was a little happy for Hannah, because when you're brought up and you always hear that basically your only goal in life is to get married, it would've been pretty hard if all of your younger sisters got married before anyone showed interest in you. 

• 2 months later...

Hannah got betrothed to her ... courtship partner? yesterday. The ceremony took place in their living room with everyone wearing their everyday clothes. I think you can watch it on her Facebook wall, it should be public for everyone, since I could watch it. 

Abigail had a bridal shower, but I don't know when the wedding will take place. 

She even publicly committed to "not withhold herself from him except by mutual agreement". The whole vows are very, very awkward, with lots of helpmeets, weaker vessels etc. in it. 

8 hours ago, L1o2u3 said:

She even publicly committed to "not withhold herself from him except by mutual agreement". The whole vows are very, very awkward, with lots of helpmeets, weaker vessels etc. in it. 

So does that mean she will never say no to sex? What a weird, awkward thing to put in your vows.

What is a betrothal for these people anyway?

Interesting, I'm about 95% sure that this is Hannah's intended: http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/9911907-74/manderino-district-state

In which case, that's a pretty radical lifestyle change in the past year. He seems like an accomplished guy who somehow got sucked into this cult. I guess that gives me some hope that he'll be good for Hannah.

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but Abigail's fiance is the younger brother of the Virtuous Daughters blogger.

33 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Interesting, I'm about 95% sure that this is Hannah's intended: http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/9911907-74/manderino-district-state

In which case, that's a pretty radical lifestyle change in the past year. He seems like an accomplished guy who somehow got sucked into this cult. I guess that gives me some hope that he'll be good for Hannah.

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but Abigail's fiance is the younger brother of the Virtuous Daughters blogger.

Wow. That's bizarre. The election was in April, and by Oct (when his FB page starts) he was posting messianic Jewish stuff. 

It does look like him, same name, same town.

On 10/31/2016 at 6:12 AM, polecat said:

... people have the NERVE to call hospitals "wicked places." 

My first unfiltered mental response to that was 'you have GOT to be f-ing kidding me!' (OK, very slightly filtered), but I found the post, now I'm picking my jaw up from the floor.  A hospital, wicked??!  Last time I checked hospitals were places where the sick are cared for, and in some cases help the homeless, and generally improve people's lives as much as they can.  Doesn't the Bible say it's good to care for suffering people?  So when did doing what the Bible says to do, become a 'wicked' thing?  

31 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

Wow. That's bizarre. The election was in April, and by Oct (when his FB page starts) he was posting messianic Jewish stuff. 

It does look like him, same name, same town.

I noticed that as well back when they got together. His family isn't Messianic from what I can tell. It makes me wonder how the conversion came about. Did he meet her and decide he would convert for her? Or did they just happen to meet after his conversion? 

I feel bad for "Sabrina," who is commenting on the Disney post. She says she has religious OCD so reading blogs like that is probably not a healthy thing for her.

im currently away with family in Orlando and we were visiting the Disney grounds and watching the firework show… been feeling convicted and conflicted. The word “magic” is plastered everywhere and there is a lot of messages about magic and making wishes. Going to continue to pray, please pray for me!

Ugh, I wish someone with a better understanding of mental health issues could chime in and point Sabrina to better resources. Also, LOL at Hannah having never seen a Disney movie and still writing a few thousand words on how terrible they are. She comes off as awfully snippy and defensive in the comments.

20 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

That guy's running as a Democrat!  Democrats have their place in the fundie paradigm, usually characterized as unrepentant Satanists. But then, back in 2016 there's this from APNews: 

MONESSEN, Pa. (AP) — The grandson of a former state House speaker is quitting the race for the seat his grandfather once held, saying he now realizes he would hate the job.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://bit.ly/1V1791t ) says 29-year-old Jim Manderino II announced on Facebook that he was quitting the Democratic primary race. Manderino’s uncle and campaign manager, Jack Manderino, confirms the decision but says his nephew won’t comment further.

Manderino’s post reads: “I have realized that I will hate this job and I do not believe that will do our district very much good. It’s just not for me.”

Cannot find Jim Manderino II anywhere on facebook. 

18 minutes ago, Howl said:

That guy's running as a Democrat!  Democrats have their place in the fundie paradigm, usually characterized as unrepentant Satanists. But then, back in 2016 there's this from APNews: 

Cannot find Jim Manderino II anywhere on facebook. 

He's James Manderino. It looks like him, from the right town, friends with the right people. The only way it's not him is if he has a cousin that looks just like him also named James/Jim.

Looks like he deleted everything on his Facebook prior to his conversion. Or perhaps that is when he switched to James vs Jim. Some people in the comments call him Jim.

Another article about his withdrawal from the race includes this line:

“I’ll leave you with this. If you want good government it does not start by electing good people,” he stated in his Facebook post. “Good government begins with raising your children up in the ways of my God.”

Maybe that's just standard political God-Bless-America boilerplate, but the wording and sentiment seems kind of specific, like maybe he got out of politics because he had already gotten into this messianic church.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160411/two_democrats_drop_out_of_race_for_58th_house_district

Some of the other results I get when I search his name in facebook's public posts suggest that he wasn't very good at running a campaign and may have thought that it would be easy to win the seat that his grandfather used to hold. Which suggests to me that he's the type that jumps headlong into things without thinking them through. I wonder how his messianic beliefs will hold up when it turns out that marriage, or homesteading, or whatever else these people do with their time, are not as simple as one might suppose.

Looking over his facebook profile reminds me of when I've looked up pages for people who belong to the Church of Wells or other high-demand groups we keep an eye on. Doesn't get much interaction outside of his new church pals, except when he puts up a pic of himself and his family and hometown friends reach out with things like "glad to see that you're doing well." Kind of sad.

That is all really bizarre.

I worked at a Messianic Jewish event last year. They're an... interesting bunch. Very nice people though, and since they liked me they asked me to work with them again. A lot of them, probably even the majority, came from Judaism first. Anecdotally, the really odd ones were usually the ones who came from Christianity to Messianic Judaism. It was a couple like that who grilled me on whether I was ready for the rapture.

On 04/06/2017 at 11:37 AM, L1o2u3 said:

Is she the one who's still a teenager?  Ugh, awful for anyone to commit to that kind of thing, but a teenager who most likely has no idea what it could mean?

56 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Is she the one who's still a teenager?  Ugh, awful for anyone to commit to that kind of thing, but a teenager who most likely has no idea what it could mean?

I think this is from the betrothal of the older sister, who is about 25.

Yes! It's the older sister, she gets married on Sukkot.  The other one is getting married in a few days. I don't know anything about that betrothal other than that it happened after they got engaged in February. 

2 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Another article about his withdrawal from the race includes this line:

Maybe that's just standard political God-Bless-America boilerplate, but the wording and sentiment seems kind of specific, like maybe he got out of politics because he had already gotten into this messianic church.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160411/two_democrats_drop_out_of_race_for_58th_house_district

Some of the other results I get when I search his name in facebook's public posts suggest that he wasn't very good at running a campaign and may have thought that it would be easy to win the seat that his grandfather used to hold. Which suggests to me that he's the type that jumps headlong into things without thinking them through. I wonder how his messianic beliefs will hold up when it turns out that marriage, or homesteading, or whatever else these people do with their time, are not as simple as one might suppose.

Looking over his facebook profile reminds me of when I've looked up pages for people who belong to the Church of Wells or other high-demand groups we keep an eye on. Doesn't get much interaction outside of his new church pals, except when he puts up a pic of himself and his family and hometown friends reach out with things like "glad to see that you're doing well." Kind of sad.

I to felt like it sounded like he must have converted sometime after declaring.

I also agree about the FB posts. It was interesting how many people commented that he looked happy, as if that is a concern. He's a vet who served in Afghanistan, no telling what he's seen or is going through now. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived