IGNORED

Maxhell- Part 5

samurai_sarah

Interesting, I never really knew about his past. I would've assumed he was a Baptist since he believes the bible is truth and believes in believers baptism(even if the kids are like 6 apparently?). I don't know all the nuances of the different religions especially when it comes to all the crazy splinter groups in the US. I would have assumed the sheltering had come from the whole IFB mantra of being from the world but away from the world. Off to do some investigating of the Maxwells some more! 

4 minutes ago, molecule said:

This is really creepy. This is more than just the content of his presentation. It shows a need for control even beyond what I've seen hinted at in the blog (and that's been quite a lot). 

Giving winks and nudges when talking about sexual temptation is the very thing that perpetuates so much of the sexist modest stuff: "We aren't supposed to like this because it's wrong, but it sure is fun to be tempted, isn't it, boys?" Just gross.

It really is gross. Or when Steve took them to an airport or was it a mall? Anyways, to check out the immodest clothing was clearly a way to be able to check out and comment on women. Gross. No other words, than gross. 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I don't think Steve has dementia.  He started this stuff over 20 years ago and would be dead by now if he had (most forms of) dementia.  He's also his own religious cult so we can't really blame it on the usual cult leader suspects.  He does seem to get more controlling as time goes by.

He is even worse in person.  Actually even more hating and dissing of women in his "men only" talks, per Mr. P who braved it once.  As I've said before, I have seldom seen Mr.P as angry as he was after listening to Stevehovah for an hour.

I've been subscribed to his Seriously Dads newsletter for a while, so reading that and his latest nonsense on the blog have caused me to wonder briefly if perhaps he is beginning to develop dementia.  I'm sure he isn't.  But he makes so little sense that I catch myself looking for a plausible concrete reason.  That his thoughts and his ability to express them are so damaged by his beliefs is just so strange to me.  

Before Steve decided to formalise the Church of Holy Stevus, the church he and his family attended was Free Will Baptist.    I think he's about as far from Calvinism as anyone can get, theologically* speaking,  and still be under the Protestant umbrella. 

*I'm not convinced that he actually has a consistent theology, TBH, but that's a moot point.

I have some questions I'd like to ask him about his financial freedom series.  I'm half tempted to send him an email but I'm not convinced I have the energy or patience.

28 minutes ago, uber frau said:

Before Steve decided to formalise the Church of Holy Stevus, the church he and his family attended was Free Will Baptist.    I think he's about as far from Calvinism as anyone can get, theologically* speaking,  and still be under the Protestant umbrella. 

*I'm not convinced that he actually has a consistent theology, TBH, but that's a moot point.

I have some questions I'd like to ask him about his financial freedom series.  I'm half tempted to send him an email but I'm not convinced I have the energy or patience.

Ah, many thanks!  I stand corrected.  I thought he was more of a Calvinist because he was pals with some of the VFM types in the old days.  

Am I correct in thinking that the Free Will Baptists are  Arminian?  They are different from IFB, anyway.

I don't think he has a consistent theology either.

On 11/13/2016 at 11:37 AM, VooDooChild said:

What is with Sarah's proclivity to use "And, yes" sentences.  The title of the surprise party post mentioned the surprise party.  The beginning of the post mentioned the surprise party.  Toward the end of the post Sarah says, "And yes, it was a surprise tea party for Anna."  

Why?  I've noticed that she does this a bit.  It's always to something obvious, too, or maybe to something she thought readers were wondering but they weren't.

At least one Maxwell, apparently, has the ability to intuit the thoughts of total strangers.  I imagine the power would be even stronger with family.  This begs the question as to why anything happening, or about to happen, at Chez Maxwell can be considered a surprise.

@Dandruff  It boggles the brain.  They have so many surprises you'd think they would be wondering when the next one was going to happen.  But they do seem genuinely surprised.  Maybe it is in response the stevehova's brainwashing of no fun ever and being unworthy.

My first reaction to Sarah's "And, yes!" is "so what".  I guess I'm just an ass.

22 minutes ago, VooDooChild said:

My first reaction to Sarah's "And, yes!" is "so what".  I guess I'm just an ass.

I'd like to know whose first reaction isn't "so what".  I find their posts interesting (kind of) only because they're so consistently boring.  Where are they getting the positive reinforcement for this nonsense?  Outside of their own/Lolly's head, that is.

The thing is Steve is an ass. His need for control supersedes everything he does and thinks. He has brainwashed his family so badly that they don't realize that what he had done through the years is wrong. 

If Steve reckons he's going to heaven when he dies, he has another thing coming.

Twat.

ETA: It's OCC Shoebox Collection Week! Teri, Anna and Mary are going to be working at the Denver warehouse like Mary did last year. Apparently the Lord led Anna, Mary, Abby and Betsy to try for 100 shoeboxes, which they managed. 

From the last "weed" post:

"I recommend you look closely at your children’s lives. Listen to them. How do they spend their time? What excites them? Observe. What “lights them up”? As you do this, you will likely start to see weeds in their lives. Our definition of weeds in the content-in-Christ yard— “activities that consume time or money that are not beneficial or edifying.”

My mind just exploded.. :my_angry:  Does this mean that he asks his (adult) kids what they feel excited about or like to do, then tells them to give up whatever that is because it's a waste of time? Is he really saying that things that "light you up" are weeds that need to be pulled out??

I thought this guy was mostly dull, but it's so much worse. This is straight up cruel and emotionally abusive.

Picture Anna having that sweet heart-to-heart talk with her loving Dad. He asks what she's been up to and her face lights up as she describes spending an afternoon perfecting her balloon animal giraffe. Steve asks to see the Dollar Tree receipt for the balloons: $8.76. Steve sighs, then tells her that her balloon animals have become a distraction from Satan and she better get back to doing God's work. How about housecleaning for Saint Anna Marie?

14 hours ago, kunoichi66 said:

Is the fast today?  I'm looking forward to some decadent risotto, with possibly some ice cream afterwards...

The fast was yesterday, and I didn't know about it until it was too late. It's OK, though--I had an excellent dinner last night: brisket, potatoes, and asparagus, and cake for dessert. We also have a lot of Halloween (!!111!!!!1) candy left over, so I've been eating that every day. And soon my headship will be home with takeout Mexican food that I did NOT remind him to pick up--the Holy Spirit must have nudged him to come up with a dinner idea.

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

If Steve reckons he's going to heaven when he dies, he has another thing coming.

Twat.

ETA: It's OCC Shoebox Collection Week! Teri, Anna and Mary are going to be working at the Denver warehouse like Mary did last year. Apparently the Lord led Anna, Mary, Abby and Betsy to try for 100 shoeboxes, which they managed. 

Notice in the garage where Poor Sarah had set them to work there seems to be mountains of boxes containg, one would guess, unsold books and chore packs. 

things not going to well Stevie? Oh and one more thing Stevie, here is a nudge nudge wink for John.

On 11/14/2016 at 1:27 PM, fundiefan said:

For a snack today I had...wait for it...a parfait! Well, I opened a container of Greek yogurt, threw in some blueberries and vanilla granola and called it done. Couldn't see through the container, and I mix it all up so it's a giant blue blob, but it's the same damn thing.

That sounds surprisingly easy. Easier than the Maxwell version even.

4 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

"I recommend you look closely at your children’s lives. Listen to them. How do they spend their time? What excites them? Observe. What “lights them up”? As you do this, you will likely start to see weeds in their lives. Our definition of weeds in the content-in-Christ yard— “activities that consume time or money that are not beneficial or edifying.”

My mind just exploded.. :my_angry:  Does this mean that he asks his (adult) kids what they feel excited about or like to do, then tells them to give up whatever that is because it's a waste of time? Is he really saying that things that "light you up" are weeds that need to be pulled out??

I thought this guy was mostly dull, but it's so much worse. This is straight up cruel and emotionally abusive.

He does the exact opposite of what most parents do. The typical parent knows their child because they actually interact on a regular basis. They do things together, they talk about things other than the bible. Parents learn what 'lights' their kid up by letting and encouraging experiences, and then helping the kid pursue whatever it is that lights him/her up. Finances permitted, of course. And even then, typical parents will work to find alternative sources to continue the lighting up. 

Steve talks to his kid a scheduled one hour a week and when he sees the slightest spark he goes out of his way to snuff it out. What a fucking horrible, awful father he is. 

Steve thinks that if don't raise your family the way he has raised his you are not doing anything right. He is so small minded that he dosen't see what he has done is wrong. 

14 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

<snip>

I agree 100%!

I hope this doesn't mean that he snatches Ellie away from Sarah because the determined that the dig is a weed in his Christ-yard. 

13 hours ago, darkplumaged said:

The fast was yesterday, and I didn't know about it until it was too late. It's OK, though--I had an excellent dinner last night: brisket, potatoes, and asparagus, and cake for dessert. We also have a lot of Halloween (!!111!!!!1) candy left over, so I've been eating that every day. And soon my headship will be home with takeout Mexican food that I did NOT remind him to pick up--the Holy Spirit must have nudged him to come up with a dinner idea.

NOOOOO!  Ah well.  I still had delicious food.

And takeout Mexican....om nom nom

20 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

he was pals with some of the VFM types in the old days.  

He was also very involved with IBLP/ATI in the old days too. I think he was trying to make connections to market his stuff. Did Vision Forum ever sell Managers of their Home? I know IBLP did, but I don't think Steve ever actually joined the cult. 

Steve's theology seems to be death, doom and despair. It is really no wonder he had to start his own church with just his family, very, very few people want to live such a restrictive life. 

17 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

Yup.  That is pretty much Steve.  But he corrects them "lovingly."

Stevehovah should look at his own life and actions before examining his children and his followers for "weeds."

Steve, instead of thinking of yourself as a Godly leader and God-given judge of others perhaps look at all the areas in which you have failed.  Dramatically.

Teri, who may have had some gumption at one point, was reduced to a lump of depression in her marriage to you.  You failed to get her professional help.  Instead you made her procreate many more times for your glorification.  By the grace of the FSM and menopause she seems to have come out of it a bit - but you are really kidding yourself when you think she loves hanging out with toddlers.  She may love them, but she sees children as little catalysts for stress.  Look at how and what she writes.

Sarah is still pining and praying for a husband and children.  I expect Anna and Mary are too.  Your extreme sheltering has denied them that - and you show no signs of rectifying the situation.  Let those girls free!  You do seem to be able to let go of your sons a bit, so extend that to your adult daughters.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Did Vision Forum ever sell Managers of their Home? I know IBLP did, but I don't think Steve ever actually joined the cult. 

I'm pretty sure they did but I can't find proof.  I think he moved in many Fundie circles to market the Maxwell products but didn't join anywhere because he thought all the others were far too lax.

Then there was the Clash of the Titans when Michael Pearl and Steve lobbed grenades at each other without naming names.  Pearl told Steve off for over-sheltering and Steve objected to Pearl's over-beating children.  Steve vastly prefers emotional blackmail and weeping, wailing, and fasting over children to beating the living shit out of them.  They are both abusive, however.

9 hours ago, Clutched Pearls said:

I hope this doesn't mean that he snatches Ellie away from Sarah because the determined that the dig is a weed in his Christ-yard. 

Good point, we haven't seen much of Ellie lately... She wasn't in the family pic either. 

54 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Good point, we haven't seen much of Ellie lately... She wasn't in the family pic either. 

It's too bad because that would have been really cute.

But Steve is definitely not the type to consider a dog part of the family (he said as much to Sarah when she mentioned he must really love their dog, Honey).

5 hours ago, kpmom said:

It's too bad because that would have been really cute.

But Steve is definitely not the type to consider a dog part of the family (he said as much to Sarah when she mentioned he must really love their dog, Honey).

Ellie waz in one of the pics in the OOC post

Apparently Sarah has been indoctrinated SO well that she can leave the house unattended because she went to visit a friend! Who knew they were actually allowed friends? Steve must be softening in his old age. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived