IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

The only thing I kiiiiind of like about Jill is how she isn't turned off by the idea of Israel attending a legitimate college....even if it's for the sole purpose of becoming Pistol Pete the Third. I think Izzy will still be home schooled but I wouldn't be surprised if they hired accredited tutors who will give a more adequate education.  Jill commented on Derick's Pistol Pete throwback picture saying "who knows Izzy might be the third Pistol Pete" or something like that. I'm on my phone so I can't link it. I have more hope for the third generation Duggars. I hope fundamentalism will be mostly extinct by their adulthood. 

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea what living in El Salvador is like, but I grew up in Guatemala and I'm guessing it is similar - and yes, there is a lot of gang violence and it can be dangerous.  But it is infinitely more dangerous for the locals, caught in the middle of gang turf wars than it is for any foreigner, missionary or tourist.  Obviously as a foreigner, you would excercise caution. Don't go out alone after dark, travel with a buddy, don't flaunt/wear expensive clothes or jewelry. The common sense basics. As a foreigner, you are far more likely to be robbed than you are to face assault or murder.  And frankly, I would excercise the same amount of caution in inner city Chicago, or well, really almost anywhere.  

18 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

The only thing I kiiiiind of like about Jill is how she isn't turned off by the idea of Israel attending a legitimate college....even if it's for the sole purpose of becoming Pistol Pete the Third. I think Izzy will still be home schooled but I wouldn't be surprised if they hired accredited tutors who will give a more adequate education.  Jill commented on Derick's Pistol Pete throwback picture saying "who knows Izzy might be the third Pistol Pete" or something like that. I'm on my phone so I can't link it. I have more hope for the third generation Duggars. I hope fundamentalism will be mostly extinct by their adulthood. 

If Izzy is getting the same kind of solid education Jill got, I don't have high hopes for him attending (or at least graduating from) an accredited university like Oklahoma. I think he, like any of the Duggar children, would have to attend community college and play catch up first. 

10 hours ago, princessmahina said:

If Izzy is getting the same kind of solid education Jill got, I don't have high hopes for him attending (or at least graduating from) an accredited university like Oklahoma. I think he, like any of the Duggar children, would have to attend community college and play catch up first. 

He's still young at this point. I'm not holding my breath, but anything is possible at this point. I think we'll have a better idea what to expect once Izzy hits school age (around 5) - if he is homeschooled Duggar style then I fully agree with your assessment that he would need a ton of catchup to be able to last in college. If they use better materials then he may have some chance. Even better would be Izzy getting to go to an actual school, but (again) I'm not holding out hope for that.

With the much of brain development begun before age 5, Izzy and counting are screwed if actual formal education is their saving grace. IMO, another reason for spacing children at a more manageable level. Individual attention is at a premium, especially in those first critical years.

On 9/13/2016 at 11:40 PM, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Jill commented on Derick's Pistol Pete throwback picture saying "who knows Izzy might be the third Pistol Pete" or something like that.

Hopefully that's serious... it'd be wonderful if any of their kinds ended up attending a real college. Maybe the time away from TTH is helping her see the outside world isn't so bad. Then again, the Duggars have liked to pretend before that the kids could be anything they wanted, that the girls had real dreams of careers, etc. :my_dodgy:

On 9/14/2016 at 10:16 AM, treehugger said:

I have no idea what living in El Salvador is like, but I grew up in Guatemala and I'm guessing it is similar - and yes, there is a lot of gang violence and it can be dangerous.  But it is infinitely more dangerous for the locals, caught in the middle of gang turf wars than it is for any foreigner, missionary or tourist.  Obviously as a foreigner, you would excercise caution. Don't go out alone after dark, travel with a buddy, don't flaunt/wear expensive clothes or jewelry. The common sense basics. As a foreigner, you are far more likely to be robbed than you are to face assault or murder.  And frankly, I would excercise the same amount of caution in inner city Chicago, or well, really almost anywhere.  

I'm not really a fan of big cities. I think part of it is being just 85 miles north of Milwaukee and 170 miles north of Chicago so our local news stations  report on the crime and violence in both cities.  Being so close to both we have traveled quite frequently to go to museums, zoos, festivals,and  visit family but I'm always on edge. I change purses before leaving the house so I don't have to carry my Coach around. I make sure there are no valuables in the car. Keep the music low when we enter the city. I haven't kept my wedding ring at home yet but I've definitely thought about it (I had a friend who lived in Milwaukee and her's was stolen off her finger right outside her apartment). We actually haven't' been to Chicago in a few years now because the daily gun incidents that are reported scare me off. 

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

I'm not really a fan of big cities. I think part of it is being just 85 miles north of Milwaukee and 170 miles north of Chicago so our local news stations  report on the crime and violence in both cities.  Being so close to both we have traveled quite frequently to go to museums, zoos, festivals,and  visit family but I'm always on edge. I change purses before leaving the house so I don't have to carry my Coach around. I make sure there are no valuables in the car. Keep the music low when we enter the city. I haven't kept my wedding ring at home yet but I've definitely thought about it (I had a friend who lived in Milwaukee and her's was stolen off her finger right outside her apartment). We actually haven't' been to Chicago in a few years now because the daily gun incidents that are reported scare me off. 

We lived on the north side of Chicago from 2008-2010- I never felt unsafe in my neighborhood, walked the streets and rode the EL and city buses without major concern. Most of the violence is concentrated in certain areas on the south side. I freely wandered Michigan Ave, all alone.

Even if Izzy had the chops to be accepted to OK State University, what if he doesn't want to go there? He could, out of spite, decide to attend a different university, which would be such a sight to see.

On 9/12/2016 at 9:41 AM, lomo6 said:

Does anyone else get the sense that Jill was just barely hanging on in "Central America" and was probably the chief reason that they fled home to Arkansas after less than a year? All the talk of violence, death, how she barely leaves the house, the Fundie Wife smile seeming more strained than ever...

I can hardly blame her for having a rough time in a country where she isn't fluent in the language while being a first time mom. Yes, she's raised kids all her life, but those hormones and everything can knock you on your ass regardless. My husband and I raised our boys the first 3 years far from family with no support system and it completely sucked ass. Never get a break, never have date night, no social gatherings at all. And we were in Connecticut, lol. 

On 9/14/2016 at 10:16 AM, treehugger said:

Obviously as a foreigner, you would excercise caution. Don't go out alone after dark, travel with a buddy, don't flaunt/wear expensive clothes or jewelry. The common sense basics. As a foreigner, you are far more likely to be robbed than you are to face assault or murder.  

As someone who has lived a sheltered life in suburban middle class neighborhoods, that is all terrifying to me. The idea that I can't go out at night or wear a fancy necklace without fear of being robbed is nuts. Maybe it sounds terrible, but living like that would put my stress through the roof. Though honestly, I've spent plenty of time in Manhattan, having grown up in CT, and never worried about any of those things there!

I see Dan is going to marry his girlfriend in November. Am I being too judgmental in thinking that 9 months together is short? I know Dan probably has his own job and life and maybe they knew each other longer before dating, but jeez. 

36 minutes ago, season of life said:

I see Dan is going to marry his girlfriend in November. Am I being too judgmental in thinking that 9 months together is short? I know Dan probably has his own job and life and maybe they knew each other longer before dating, but jeez. 

I don't see a big problem with it. They'll be together around 11 months by the time the wedding happens. They may be moving fast, but they also seem like a much more normal couple than the Dillards or Seewalds did at that stage.

And at least they've been able to do things like go on dates and vacation unchaperoned - that means they likely had tons of time to talk about serious topics that his brother and Jill may not have gotten to talk about... Which means they could have a decently solid foundation to build a marriage on.

On September 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM, SassyPants said:

We lived on the north side of Chicago from 2008-2010- I never felt unsafe in my neighborhood, walked the streets and rode the EL and city buses without major concern. Most of the violence is concentrated in certain areas on the south side. I freely wandered Michigan Ave, all alone.

Ditto my life in NYC, especially the Bronx, and north to Yonkers.

Still, today, I'm comfortable. I remain aware of where I am, but I'm not fearful or nervous.

9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I don't see a big problem with it. They'll be together around 11 months by the time the wedding happens. They may be moving fast, but they also seem like a much more normal couple than the Dillards or Seewalds did at that stage.

And at least they've been able to do things like go on dates and vacation unchaperoned - that means they likely had tons of time to talk about serious topics that his brother and Jill may not have gotten to talk about... Which means they could have a decently solid foundation to build a marriage on.

Who says they were unchaperoned? We really don't know anything about this couple, and only because his last relatioship was with a ''normal'' girl it doesn't mean he is going through the same path his brother went. It's not like we can have the whole picture just from instagram

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Who says they were unchaperoned? We really don't know anything about this couple, and only because his last relatioship was with a ''normal'' girl it doesn't mean he is going through the same path his brother went. It's not like we can have the whole picture just from instagram

True. I guessed based off the pictures. I just have a feeling they're probably not being chaperoned around the same way Derick and Jill were. They could still have chaperones of course, I just really doubt it would be at the same level of absolute creepiness.

But still. My point stands. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with them moving as fast as they may be moving because they likely have had opportunities to have private (or, for the sake of argument, semi-private) conversations about important issues in relationships. 

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I just really doubt it would be at the same level of absolute creepiness.

You're totes right, after all, most fundies are not like the duggars and the maxwells

On 9/15/2016 at 9:23 AM, SassyPants said:

With the much of brain development begun before age 5, Izzy and counting are screwed if actual formal education is their saving grace. IMO, another reason for spacing children at a more manageable level. Individual attention is at a premium, especially in those first critical years.

Izzy is already fairly ideal placed, if she got pregnant last month Izzy will be right at 2 when the baby is born, I know so many families where kids are 22-30 months apart, my own are 27 months apart, and that was a very good age gap for us, J&D are already there with Izzy being 17/18 months old.  

Was absentmindedly scrolling through Instagram just now when I literally stopped short for a very-not-flattering picture of Michelle with Izzy,  And IZZY has the green shirt on today.     See below (I'm never sure if I'm copying links correctly but it's on the DuggarFam instagram) 

https://www.instagram.com/duggarfam/?hl=en.   

GAH!  ACK!  

I assumed Jessa would wait a while before having another baby. But then she announced another pregnancy. Hopefully Jill allows herself some time. I'm just nervous because she had a C-section. Her doc did say she could have a VBAC, though.

9 hours ago, season of life said:

I assumed Jessa would wait a while before having another baby. But then she announced another pregnancy. Hopefully Jill allows herself some time. I'm just nervous because she had a C-section. Her doc did say she could have a VBAC, though.

The Doctor said she could try for a VBAC, but never guaranteed anything.

It's been almost 1.5 years since Izzy was born. I can't remember how long exactly it's recommended a woman waits after a C-Section - possibly 2 years - but I don't think it would be the end of the world if Jill were to conceive soon. Whether she has an easy pregnancy or delivery at this point probably depends on a ton of factors - of which her prior c-section is only one.

On 9/15/2016 at 1:00 PM, December said:

Hopefully that's serious... it'd be wonderful if any of their kinds ended up attending a real college. Maybe the time away from TTH is helping her see the outside world isn't so bad. Then again, the Duggars have liked to pretend before that the kids could be anything they wanted, that the girls had real dreams of careers, etc. :my_dodgy:

The only thing resembling college that Izzy will be allowed to attend will be some unaccredited "Bible college" like Bob Jones University. It seems like all of the Duggar spouses who have been to bricks and mortar schools regret it, and consider it to be detrimental to faith and morals, just like JB and Michelle.

Yeah, there's no way Jill lets Israel go to a real college, he's going to get stuck with SOTDRT education and Clown college afterwards IF he's lucky. What I could see her doing is trying to use her Duggar name (if it's still relevant years from now) to try to get him to be Pistol Pete for a day or something like that. 

43 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yeah, there's no way Jill lets Israel go to a real college, he's going to get stuck with SOTDRT education and Clown college afterwards IF he's lucky. What I could see her doing is trying to use her Duggar name (if it's still relevant years from now) to try to get him to be Pistol Pete for a day or something like that. 

Derrick is the "headship" so the question will be whether HE believes that Jill has a better chance to edumakate his offspring than a nice, christian, private school of his choosing.  He's seen the world beyond the curtain.  We'll see which he chooses.  Considering the sideshow of the "duggar brand" may be coming to an end I dont know that they'll need to toe the party line and badly educate Izzy.

25 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Derrick is the "headship" so the question will be whether HE believes that Jill has a better chance to edumakate his offspring than a nice, christian, private school of his choosing.  He's seen the world beyond the curtain.  We'll see which he chooses.  Considering the sideshow of the "duggar brand" may be coming to an end I dont know that they'll need to toe the party line and badly educate Izzy.

I feel like Derick has drank enough of the Duggar Koolaid that he's probably firmly within their ideas vs his own anymore. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I tend to have very low opinions of the Dullards. 

Yeah, I feel like Derick will encourage his kids to go to "superior" colleges like Bible colleges. If Israel ever asks why he can't go to a real college like his dad, Derick will just tell him it was a different time and when he was a different person. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived