IGNORED

Counting On Season Two - Part 2

Coconut Flan

As usual, I'm watching the show late so I'll probably repeat what everyone else already said....

I love how they don't understand why they should have had appropriate footwear for hiking though the woods. Idiots.

Josiah saying "supposively" (not sure how to spell it.)  Wow. 

So who gifted Jill and Derick their little anniversary hotel stay?

I know kids end up with weird nicknames. But "Choochoo" is one of the weirdest I've heard. And did she also call him "choo-chee?"

She acts like 2 years is this huge length of time. Derick talking about how the most memorable part of a wedding is the stuff after (i.e. sex.)  What a freaking loser. All of the men in this cult really have one track minds, don't they!

"Being able to talk without the stress of every day life." Their every day stresses compared to most people = laughable.

I'm pretty sure they keep showing Ben attempting to get Spurge dressed because it's literally the only thing Ben can even try to do in the parenthood realm.

The reason Spurge is in such 'large' clothes is probably because hand-me-downs end up small, it seems. So a 12 month size outfit is probably more like a 9 month after a million wears and washes.

I am guessing these people all just pass clothes back and forth as they need things. So the stuff they are giving to their friends...they'll get back when they need them again.

Ben look so awkward holding Spurgeon. The friend guy (I don't know his name) seemed more natural with Spurge.

"We should have another baby sometime soon." Um...maybe just appreciate and enjoy the baby you have right now? I have known people like this. They will talk about having "baby fever" when they still have a baby. It's bizarre.

That's all I can handle for now. Blech.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

As usual, I'm watching the show late so I'll probably repeat what everyone else already said....

I love how they don't understand why they should have had appropriate footwear for hiking though the woods. Idiots.

Josiah saying "supposively" (not sure how to spell it.)  Wow. 

So who gifted Jill and Derick their little anniversary hotel stay?

I know kids end up with weird nicknames. But "Choochoo" is one of the weirdest I've heard. And did she also call him "choo-chee?"

She acts like 2 years is this huge length of time. Derick talking about how the most memorable part of a wedding is the stuff after (i.e. sex.)  What a freaking loser. All of the men in this cult really have one track minds, don't they!

"Being able to talk without the stress of every day life." Their every day stresses compared to most people = laughable.

I'm pretty sure they keep showing Ben attempting to get Spurge dressed because it's literally the only thing Ben can even try to do in the parenthood realm.

The reason Spurge is in such 'large' clothes is probably because hand-me-downs end up small, it seems. So a 12 month size outfit is probably more like a 9 month after a million wears and washes.

I am guessing these people all just pass clothes back and forth as they need things. So the stuff they are giving to their friends...they'll get back when they need them again.

Ben look so awkward holding Spurgeon. The friend guy (I don't know his name) seemed more natural with Spurge.

"We should have another baby sometime soon." Um...maybe just appreciate and enjoy the baby you have right now? I have known people like this. They will talk about having "baby fever" when they still have a baby. It's bizarre.

That's all I can handle for now. Blech.

My theory: when the kid starts to develop a personality, free will, and motor skills, they aren't nearly as appealing. So you have another one and keep chasing that attention/control dragon.

Grandson went camping last weekend. He learned to find his way, day or night, with or without a compass, how to figure distance and height without a tape measure, first aid,  cooking, and proper food storage away from bears. They did, however, have water and food. So, if I'm lost in the wilderness, I'll take my 12 year old grandson over any Duggar kidults.

My opinion? Boy Scouts 1 Duggars 0. Feel free to disagree.

I've not been watching the show, but I kind of wonder if they're leading up to something more interesting after Jeremy and Jinger are married. Move the focus on them, and there's a lot of potential! Jinger meeting his extended (possibly Catholic) family, a trip to visit distant cousins he's never met in Italy, getting settled in Laredo (hopefully with some oddball neighbors), one of his wild soccer buddies comes to stay for a week and his wife takes Jinger shopping... to Victoria's Secret! All sorts of potentially wacky storylines could ensue. I could see them really pushing the "fish out of water" thing with Jinger being pushed way out of her comfort zone. (Which I think might be good for her, if it wasn't something staged and filmed...)

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I really can't snark on nicknames. I have a family friend who was nicknamed choo-chie and also answered to choo-ch growing up. Granted she had a normal first name that was also used.

Their choice in first names however... :smiley-signs131: 

5 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

So I could be off-base here, but that strikes me as a very Spanish/Latin American nickname. Chuy (pronounced Chewey) is actually a nickname for Jesus (as in an individual's name, not as in the son of Christ, ha)...at least in Mexico. Chucheria means candy...

Also late to watch the show, but I half-watched bad youtubes of all the episodes. I'm already liking Jinger a whole lot less. The need to constantly be texting a date/loved one/betrothed is a huge turn off for me. In fact, being surgically attached to a cellphone and constant selfie-taking is something I find really unattractive about many 20-somethings these days. It's like they're never present enough to see life outside the frame of a touchscreen. I get that her and Jeremy are 'in love' but this is beyond stage 5 clinger behavior. I guess this will only soften the blow when Jinger starts posting smug ignorant fundie crap on social media and really gives us real reason to dislike her.

Agreed with the points previously made about how fishy this relationship is, and how it's odd that grown-ass man Jeremy is so attracted to somebody who's 22 going on 15.

Also, Spurgeon sounds worse being said than in writing, especially when they refer to him as 'Spurgie'. I'm morbidly curious about what kind of a ridiculous name they'll come up for for the latest Smugwald addition.

4 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

I really can't snark on nicknames. I have a family friend who was nicknamed choo-chie and also answered to choo-ch growing up. Granted she had a normal first name that was also used.

Israel isn't terrible, but as someone with Italian-American roots, I just find it hilarious when Jill calls her son "chooch".

No cable, so I have to wait till YouTube gets it. I just can't wait for tomorrow's riveting episode. Thank you oh mighty buzzard. :bow-blue:

Why does everyone assume that just because Jeremy's last name is Italian that they will have big family dinners with loud talking and wine flowing? Because his grandma can make sauce? Hell, I can make sauce. I'm mostly German. My husband is a full 1/2 Italian, and you might as well turn in your card if you aren't Catholic. I'm driving 60 miles every week to get my little dude to CFF so he can get his first communion!

Jeremy's dad is a fundie-light minister, right? They are about as Italian as Chef Boyardee. 

46 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

Why does everyone assume that just because Jeremy's last name is Italian that they will have big family dinners with loud talking and wine flowing? Because his grandma can make sauce? Hell, I can make sauce. I'm mostly German. My husband is a full 1/2 Italian, and you might as well turn in your card if you aren't Catholic. I'm driving 60 miles every week to get my little dude to CFF so he can get his first communion!

Jeremy's dad is a fundie-light minister, right? They are about as Italian as Chef Boyardee. 

Yep! I'm Irish and German - yet I make my husband's family sauce recipe as good as his parents do (he's flat out said that; I'm not super proud or anything. Lol!)

Just because his last name is Italian doesn't mean they're going to be stereotypically Italian. I'd bet most families of Italian descent in the states aren't stereotypically Italian anymore.

9 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Pretty sure Jill has mentioned that Izzy loves trains. That's why his nickname is "Choo-Choo" or a variation of it. I think it's kind of cute.

12 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My theory: when the kid starts to develop a personality, free will, and motor skills, they aren't nearly as appealing. So you have another one and keep chasing that attention/control dragon.

I get this from more jessa than Jill and that is saying a lot. Whereas Izumi moves around Jill seems to like it. Where jessa looks pained that spud is so moveable

13 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

Nicknames can be fun & bonding between family members. I've got a few for my niece, & to outsiders (to the family, that is), they can be a bit odd; considering my niece & I, though, it's quite normal.  ;)

Besides, normal is boring. :my_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wait. What? Chef Boyardee isn't Italian?

Random aside...Chef Boyardee was actually started by an Italian chef in Cleveland named Ettore Boiardi. He changed the spelling because he was sick of people mispronouncing his name. NPR did an interesting story on it:  http://goo.gl/GTMPW6

31 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Nicknames can be fun & bonding between family members. I've got a few for my niece, & to outsiders (to the family, that is), they can be a bit odd; considering my niece & I, though, it's quite normal.  ;)

Besides, normal is boring. :my_biggrin:

People are often horrified when they 1st heard my kids nick names, and the names I have for my niece and nephew are just as good/bad. It is just how my DH & I roll, we're the crazy parents crazy Aunt/Uncle. I horrified the good Christians by allowing my kids to color outside the lines.  :my_biggrin:

11 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Agreed with the points previously made about how fishy this relationship is, and how it's odd that grown-ass man Jeremy is so attracted to somebody who's 22 going on 15.

I believe the attraction was to Jim-Bob, Jeremy became an approved hanger-on, and the relationship was sealed with a virgin.  And, as with Derick and Jill, I don't expect them to abandon the fold - just substitute Laredo for dangerous Cintral America.  I do believe there's an attraction between Jeremy and Jinger, but also believe that most of the ridiculous gushing and clinging was initiated by the production crew.  What else might keep viewer attention...a bear?  How about a treehouse?

16 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I believe the attraction was to Jim-Bob, Jeremy became an approved hanger-on, and the relationship was sealed with a virgin.  And, as with Derick and Jill, I don't expect them to abandon the fold - just substitute Laredo for dangerous Cintral America.  I do believe there's an attraction between Jeremy and Jinger, but also believe that most of the ridiculous gushing and clinging was initiated by the production crew.  What else might keep viewer attention...a bear?  How about a treehouse?

What's more mundane than a treehouse. A swing set.

can they build that nexr

I'm finally catching up on the episodes.  When Jinger was showing off her pillow with his jersey on it and talking about how Jill/Jessa did the same thing so she decided to as well I had two thoughts:

1) I wonder what sort of "scandalous" thoughts she has when she snuggles with the pillow at night.  (Scandalous being fundie level.  As in she considers kissing it but then feels shameful for giving into physical desires.)  And if nothing else signifies 13 yo with a crush it's sleeping with your crush's shirt on your pillow.

2) Anyone else remember the Anna/Joshley pillow cases with their picture on it?  I wish that would have been shown in a flash back.  :pb_lol:

Just now, JMO said:

I'm finally catching up on the episodes.  When Jinger was showing off her pillow with his jersey on it and talking about how Jill/Jessa did the same thing so she decided to as well I had two thoughts:

1) I wonder what sort of "scandalous" thoughts she has when she snuggles with the pillow at night.  (Scandalous being fundie level.  As in she considers kissing it but then feels shameful for giving into physical desires.)  And if nothing else signifies 13 yo with a crush it's sleeping with your crush's shirt on your pillow.

2) Anyone else remember the Anna/Joshley pillow cases with their picture on it?  I wish that would have been shown in a flash back.  :pb_lol:

I don't remember jessa  having the balls to do that with the pillow.

i remember seeing during the episode of the bridesmaid dresses a name tag of Ben stuck to her bed.

I think Jinger is playing up the clinginess in an attempt to construct a personality for herself.  

A few seasons back she seemed to have a few independent thoughts - an artistic side, a desire for big city life. That got beaten out of her, and so now there's not much of a draw for the average viewer.

Jill and Jessa - in addition to being the firsts - were simply better characters. Jessa was the hot bitch, and Jill was the adorkable teacher's pet/overachiever. If they had been allowed to go to real school, Jessa would have been Regina George from Mean Girls and Jill would have been Reese Witherspoon's character in Election.

Jinger...likes coffee....and cheesy family photography? 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived